“Very Disappointed” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Rendezvous Hotel Perth Scarborough

You added Rendezvous Hotel Perth Scarborough to your Saves list
Rendezvous Hotel Perth Scarborough
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   The Esplanade, Scarborough, Stirling, Western Australia 6019, Australia (Formerly Rendezvous Observation City Hotel)   |
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Scarborough
Perth, Australia
“Very Disappointed”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

I stayed overnight with my husband for our wedding anniversary. I paid extra and got a "Deluxe Front Ocean View Room". Sounds great hey!!!! To start we had to park our car in the street because it is a 4x4 and wouldn't fit under the car park. We got to the room and it was dirty. Black hairs on the bed spread and in the bathroom sink. The balcony had spilt food marks which hadn't been cleaned up. The ocean view was lovely if you were out side on the balcony, but if you went inside and closed the sliding door you couldn't see it cause the windows were that dirty you couldn't see through them. We happened to be there on the only day it rained in months and was cold, so we started up the heater for a bit of warmth. Guess what, the heater didn't work. It would get to 25 degrees and then go back down to 24 degrees, so we were cold. We called the reception twice and got someone up to look at it, who advised us the second time that it was broken and that he would have to get a maintenance person to look at it. WE ARE STILL WAITING FOR THE MAINTENANCE PERSON TO COME LOOK AT IT. We advised the reception of the heater not working and the radio on the bed side table also not working on check out, but they didn't seem concerned at all. (what do you want me to do about it attitude).
We were very disappointed with the hotel, which was a shame because we don't get to stay in hotels very often, and I was hoping it would be special.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Matthew R, General Manager at Rendezvous Hotel Perth Scarborough, responded to this review, March 18, 2014
Dear Kathy S,

Thank you for taking the time to give us detailed feedback on your stay with us.

I am very disappointed to hear about the problems you experienced during your stay, especially in regards to how the maintenance team handled the problem with your air conditioning. Please accept my sincere apologies. I will discuss your feedback with the Executive Housekeeper and Maintenance Manager, to ensure similar instances do not occur in the future.

I would like to encourage you to email me at m.richardson@rendezvoushotels.com to see how we can improve the impression of the Hotel that you have after your stay, especially as it was such a special night for you. I hope to hear from you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (315)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

We went here for a family weekend away. We're Perth residents but wanted a place where we could all be together. Our rooms were nice, good ocean views but the beds were terrible. They were not "king size" beds they were two singles zipped together and you could feel the join. Lucky we didn't want an early night as we could here loud music (we assume from the wedding downstairs) until about midnight.

Our beds were so overused they were on a slant and if you moved you rolled off onto the floor. At 2:30am after not getting a wink of sleep we called the front desk and we were moved to another room on the same floor. Had it not been for a family weekend (who were all in other rooms) we would have packed up and gone home.

The restaurant food was nice, the waitresses lovely but the service was terrible. Examples entries ordered at the same time were delivered about 10 mins apart. We ordered cake and ice cream. Our cake was delivered we waited then ate it then after we'd all finished the ice cream arrived. Okay if you're happy to sit around for a while and wait.

Pretty sure we won't be revisiting.

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms are nice. Rooms are spacious. Check your bed as soon as you arrive and see if you...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Dear Ashton W,

Thank you for leaving your comments on your recent stay with us, I am sad to hear it was not the experience we strive to offer our guests.

I am glad that you appreciated the newly refurbished rooms, but the issues that you had with your beds is unacceptable. Please accept my apologies. If you could let me know what room numbers you were in (m.richardson@rendezvoushotels.com) I will look into this issue.

I was disappointed to read about the problems you experienced with service in the Straits Café, however happy that you enjoyed the food. I have passed on your comments to the Restaurant Manager in order to improve team training and sequence of service.

Thank you once again for your comments, and I hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to Rendezvous Grand Hotel Perth Scarborough in the future.
Perth, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

We had stayed overnight here a few years ago and had a great stay, food was lovely and the staff were welcoming and friendly, reasonably priced room although the hotel was a bit shabby and needed an update. We finally got married this year and our friends gifted us two nights at Rendezvous for immediately after the reception. A sort of very mini honeymoon, as we have two kids and blew all our money on a wedding and weren't going to do anything special. I was happy it was there coz I'd had such a good time there before. From the moment you walk in, it's quite sort of hectic at the front desk, long lines of people checking out/in, I was in my wedding dress and was barely given any eye contact and not even a congratulations-(which I know is not their job to boost everyone's ego-but a feigned interest based purely on me being a paid up patron, would've been nice and made us feel welcomed.) We were put in a room facing the road, not the beach, which I'm not sure if our friends were aware of when they booked the room, knowing our love for the ocean-I don't think they were. The room was tidy and mostly clean, but quite dusty. The room service guy did sound busy on the phone and we found him to be as curt and ambivalent as the front desk guy. the food was not good for the price either. The tv situation was maddening, the remote has no button to bring up a TV guide on the screen so I figured there would be a tvguide channel somewhere in the list, there wasn't, which is unusual for any tv these days, so i looked Around for a hard copy of a TV guide-other hotels we've stayed at have had a glossy insert in their welcome books-but I didn't find one. I asked at the front desk and was looked at like I was speaking Swahili-and she made a point of saying "no I've never seen a TV guide on the screen". It's a standard feature on every tv I've seen in the last few years-but I'll give her benefit of the doubt-perhaps she really doesn't know coz she doesn't have a tv. When I also asked for a phone charger to borrow, and explained in the wedding chaos I'd forgot to pack my charger, she sighed a little but found me one. (She also didn't congratulate us.). We had full buffet breakfast in the hotel (expensive I thought considering we are guests in the hotel), but the food had been amazing last stay, I was looking forward to it immensely. Such a disappointing an expensive breakfast. What has happened to the delicious food? Pastries chewy and kind of moist, half cups of coffee from the fancy machine, an overwhelming smell of rotting oranges where the "fresh" fruit was alongside the wrinkly apples, the 1st butter pat I grabbed to butter my toast was rancid. Massive bowl of luke warm canned baked beans-it was like an army mess hall. Not worth the money at all. I left them my comments on their review slip of paper and was sure I'd hear from them in the next few days but it's been a week now and I've heard nothing. They do not have a "can do attitude". I wouldn't recommend this hotel to anyone anymore like I used to.

• Stayed February 2014
Matthew R, General Manager at Rendezvous Hotel Perth Scarborough, responded to this review, March 10, 2014
Dear RachManinov79,
Thank you for taking the time to provide your comments on your recent stay at Rendezvous Grand Hotel Perth Scarborough.

I was very concerned to hear that your stay was such a disappointment. Please accept my sincere apologies. Firstly let me assure you that the service you have received is by no means what we aim to offer our valued guests.

I would like to apologise for the lack of care and interest that was taken by the reception team, and the quality of the breakfast. All of the issues that you have raised will definitely be taken up with our team including our Restaurant Manager and Front Desk Manager and I will endeavour to ensure they do not occur again

The vast majority of our rooms have ocean views, however we do have a small number of rooms which do not. I would need to check your booking to see what room type you were booked into, along with checking to see if we were fully booked, which may have resulted in the hotel not being able to upgrade you on your special day.

Once again, I would like to apologise for the problems you experienced, and would like to encourage you to contact me on m.richardson@rendezvoushotels.com to discuss further.
Sydney
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

The building is a little tired to look at and the hotel foyer large and soulless. I waited at the desk while the clerk on the desk helped a customer on the phone, however, I was not even acknowledged. Eventually help arrived, and although efficient she was not friendly or welcoming. I was not given any information about the hotel eg breakfast, pool or gym etc. I had been upgraded to an executive room, which had a sofa and a desk in it. It was clean but dated and tired.

The location of the hotel is excellent in that it is on the beach and close to a number of places to eat. I would have liked to have stayed longer than the one night I stayed, but I was there with work.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Forbes, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2014

A fantastic hotel to stay was a little bit worried about all the bad reviews but from the moment we check in all the staff were fantastic. Check in was so easy. our room was on the 17th floor & we had the most amazing view of the beach. The rooms are very spacious & clean, the bathrooms are modern with plenty of bench space. I would highly recommend this hotel, better than staying in the city & there is heaps of restaurants & pubs around the area but the best bit is the location to the beach. If we ever come to Perth again will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Kylie A,

Thank you so much for your glowing reviews on your recent stay with us.

I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed the newly renovated facilities and Scarborough as a destination.

We look forward to having you with us again.
australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

Ok the staff will know who we are after this review. I am starting to understand when booking on price comparison web sites that often when paying a lower price months in you are given a less quality room. This Hotel is very clever in only starting their rooms floor at level 10 when indeed this is in reality level 1. So the views only give you a small glimpse of the sea. With all this said, the room we were given was large BUT Hot, the air conditioning was not working at all the fan was extremely noisy. The air conditioner was actually heating up the room. We did not address this at time of check in as it was very late and we assumed the response we would receive would be, "give the room a chance to cool down" this did not happen, I went down to reception twice in my PJ's at 6am and 8am only to be told vague responses we may be able to move you once you pack up! We were moved to another room, relieved but once in the room quickly understood it was not serviced, standing there looking at a bed that had sheets pulled back rubbish and dirty towels on the bathroom floor, hubby said look on the bright side they have left open wine for us! We had to then wait 1/2 and hour in our old room with the door open as it was so hot with other quest walking past and having a sticky beak! So the good news! Lovely large room, beautiful views spanning over the sea and pool, the air condition was working well, great for an afternoon nap to catch up on the sleep we were deprived of the first night, felt disappointed that we were unable to enjoy the first full day because of the lack of sleep. The pool area was lovely, the pool staff very professional and friendly, free internet, great spot to enjoy the beach, super markets and shops within walking distance. The room service staff were very helpful. The toiletries were lovely, the towels nice and big. Would I stay here again, Yes, Yes yes....beautiful location, but an unfortunate experience with the air conditioner. Chairs provided for the balcony would be nice.

Room Tip: ask for a room overlooking the sea.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Leinster
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

Loved every moment of our stay here. Room renovations are great, love the layout of the room with open plan bathrooms. Great view from the room, laying in bed could see the ocean.
Staff where very friendly & food was good also. Higly recommend this hotel and would rahter stay here than in perth CBD.

Room Tip: ask for a room with a balcony that faces the ocean, great views north or south :)
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Rendezvous Hotel Perth Scarborough? Share your experiences!