“60th B'day dream came true with whale sharks” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ningaloo Reef Dive

Ningaloo Reef Dive
Shop 8 / Coral Bay Arcade | Lot 46 Robinson Street, Coral Bay, Western Australia, Australia
61 08 9942 5824
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #6 of 15 things to do in Coral Bay
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Owner description: Whale Shark Interaction Tours, Manta Ray Interaction Tours, Snorkelling & SCUBA Diving Tours, Dive Courses, equipment sales & SCUBA Tank Refills in the small, remote community of Coral Bay, Western Australia on the World Heritage listed Ningaloo Reef. Our dedicated, passionate crew are waiting to take you out and show you what the region has to offer. At Ningaloo Reef Dive we are committed to the conservation & protection of the NIngaloo Reef Marine Park and the safety,education & enjoyment of our visitors.
Sydney, Australia
“60th B'day dream came true with whale sharks”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

I chose Ningaloo Reef Dive for this once in a lifetime adventure because the staff were so friendly, professional and committed to ensuring people had the best experience possible whilst at the same time not intruding on the whale sharks. I made the right choice. The day was well organised, fun and I swan with 3 whale sharks and did some great snorkeling viewing some spectacular coral! I highly recommend this company.

Visited May 2013
NingalooReefDive, Owner at Ningaloo Reef Dive, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Thank you so much for your glowing review!
Showing you a whale shark is what we live for.... it was a pleasure to have you with us, and a privilege to share the experience with you. We hope to see you again one day.
Kind regards, Tonja

“Jess jones was the best tour guide I have come across”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

I have travelled quite a bit in my time and I would have to say that Jess jones needs a raise I was thoroughly impressed with her efforts to make all on board as comfortable as possible and she even went around and had conversations with the whole group individually which I really appreciated great work Jess ;)

Visited May 2013
Thank you for your great review about Jess. It was well received and very much appreciated. She is a treasure and we are very proud to have her as part of the team... Cheers, Tonja.
Perth, Australia
“Just do it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

I would like to extend my most sincere thanks to the crew from the Ningaloo Reef Dive who took us out for a day with the whale sharks. What a team - they were passionate about their work, the reef and the whale sharks and made every effort to ensure that we had the best possible day. It was an amazing experience, beginning with a talk about whale sharks and how to ensure we swam safely with them. We snorkeled for a while inside the reef to assess our abilities before going off on our adventure. We found five, giving us five chances to swim with them. The first dive was, as our instructor said, a bit of a scramble while people learned about getting out of the whale shark's way before swimming alongside, keeping the right distance away from them. On the first drop, the whale shark was right in front of me, an awesome sight, and when I got out of its way, I had a chance to swim alongside before it disappeared ahead of me.

I am in my mid fifties, very overweight and unfit but a confident swimmer and I have snorkeled before, albeit many years ago. The main challenge was getting back in the boat in open ocean. I was concerned about slowing down the rest of my group of 10 so I decided that I had seen what I came to see, it was a magical experience and that I didn't need to go in again, even though the crew members had been right there to lend me a hand. They let me get away with that for the next couple of drops but when it was close to the end of the day, a crew member persuaded me to let him take me out again. We swam quietly alongside a whale shark that cruised along like a spotty submarine through this incredibly blue water. The sun shone through the water showing up its colour and markings to perfection, as well as the troupe of small fish swimming with it. After a while, as though saying, "OK, that's your lot", it sped up a little and disappeared into the deep blue with a lazy wave of its tail. My guide was right, that was the real experience and I am so glad he didn't allow me to miss it.

We went back inside the reef and anchored for a lunch of salad and cold meats and fruit and an extended snorkel through coral canyons at the edge of the reef where we saw turtles, an eagle ray, a leopard shark and an amazing array of brightly coloured reef fish. Once back in my wet suit for this last swim, another member of the crew gave me a float to hang onto and she took me on a leisurely tour of a wonderful world, making sure I didn't miss anything along the way or become too tired to enjoy it.

I'd go back and do it all over again tomorrow.

Visited May 2013
Thank you so much for your great review! We really appreciate you taking the time to let people know what you thought of your day with us. It was a pleasure to have you with us.
On behalf of the crew we are really happy that you enjoyed it and hope to see you here again one day.
Kind regards, Tonja
Melbourne, Australia
10 attraction reviews
“Disappointing manta ray trip - poor staff attitude”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

I will start this review off in saying that I'm aware new owners have just taken over so may be unaware of their staff out on these trips. I had the week before done a whale shark trip with another company from Exmouth as had several others on our manta ray trip from coral bay. The other trip had staff that were enthusiastic all day, passionate about what they did, interested in the passengers on board and determined for everyone to enjoy the day. Sadly our manta ray trip with ningaloo reef dive did not have similar staff with the same positive attitude. We went out on Tuesday 28/5 and it was quite clear the staff were disinterested. Stewart to his credit had some enthusiasm but the two guides were very lacking in customer service or interest. After we had seen our one manta ray, that was it...job done and move on. Despite advertising no time restrictions we were clearly told we only had a certain amount of time with that one manta ray. Was all over very quickly. Given I had spent a day with a whale shark trip I believe I'm being realistic about staff providing opportunity and a great experience and this just didn't happen. I would wait until manta trips are available out of exmouth as better service delivery unless the owners give their current staff a bit of a shake up. The shark cleaning station was great and saw a couple of sharks but the limited time with the manta ray when this is what the trip was about was very disappointing. Complacency definitely seems to have set in for those doing this job every day!

Visited May 2013
Thank you for your review.
I'm sorry that you were disappointed with our Manta Ray Tour.
This is a very unusual response to it and our crew.

NIngaloo Reef Dive has been owned by myself and my husband Steve for the past 6 years, so, not new owners. We are very proud of our dedicated, professional crew who usually provide a relaxed, fun, and educational experience on our ageing, but safe, neat & tidy dive boat. Maybe you have us confused with someone else?

I would like to look into your tour of Tuesday 28th May 2013 further. Would you please email me with details of any crew members you remember and any further details you would like us to know. You can reach me directly at tonja@ningalooreefdive.com.

I will look forward to hearing from you soon.
Kind regards, Tonja Powell.
Fingal Bay, Australia
6 attraction reviews
“Please choose someone else!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

We went on tours with quite a few whale shark and manta operators in the Exmouth and Coral Bay areas, and many (if not most) of them are great! But Ningaloo Reef Dive is not. Our experience with them was pretty horrible. Honestly, if you want to swim as hard as you can to get a 2min glimpse of a manta ray that is 10 metres below you, then maybe you'd enjoy this tour--hardly worth the money. My wife barely got that glimpse. But, that "ticks the box" for them and they can charge you full price for the tour. Secondly, the staff didn't have the best attitude at all. For example: in most "service industry" establishments, the staff would let a customer wash his/her gear after the dive first in the one small tub available...the staff had to rush to wash ALL their items before us (including salty burlap sacks) before letting us finish so we could go home (I think they had to rush off to a party). Lastly, the boat was pretty average. The floor had hard metal rivets throughout and absolutely no place to put my large camera (much less soak it).

Visited May 2013
Thank you for your review.
I'm sorry you did not enjoy your tour with NIngaloo Reef Dive.
This is a very unusual response to our Manta Ray tour and our crew.

I would like to look into your experience further. Would you please be so kind as to email me the date of your tour and crew members if possible so that I can look into what occurred on this day? You can reach me directly at tonja@ningalooreefdive.com
Please include any further comments you would like us to know about.

Kind regards, Tonja Powell