“Wedding venue” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Wedding venue”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014

What a great place,for a family wedding.great staff,beautiful rooms,good food,fantastic weather,really enjoyed my three day stay.The grounds are what you would expect and all are up to par.I think the pool could do with a make over,but all in all a high quality stay.

Room Tip: Once again I am sure all rooms will have their own particular charm.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Perth, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2014

Beautiful property. Staff very friendly, but I agree that seeing the girls having to carry heavy luggage is not a good thing.
The size of the television in the rooms is a joke, they may as well not bother, they are so small.
The lighting is poor also and nearly impossible to read anywhere in the room even in daylight
The food was way overpriced and the night we were there the head chef was not there.
My fish was inedible and very tough. They told my husband his steak was waygu and when challenged, as we could see it was not, owned up to it not being some other cut.
Breakfast was nice.
On check out they wanted to charge us for two 3 course meals when we only had two
The staff throughout were helpful at all times

Room Tip: rooms very clean, large and charming. Lighting poor.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

We felt like we'd stepped back in time at Chateau Yering. The old homestead is just a perfect setting for a hotel but I agree with 'siviter' not quite 5 stars. The staff were very friendly, pleasant and helpful and even lugged our suitcase up the stairs for us. Our suite was enormous and so beautifully appointed and decorated in antique furniture. Beautiful, large, marble bathroom with claw-foot bathtub. Huge balcony/verandah with views over to the nearby hills. There are a number of rooms to relax in if you want to leave your very comfortable suite - the library has many comfortable armchairs and sofas to sink into, as does the drawing room which is more bright and colourful and equally comfortable. There is a cocktail bar with seating and of course Eleonore's restaurant which we can't praise enough for its magnificent food and superbly attentive staff. Breakfast in Sweetwater Cafe was nice but supplies were not very well replenished which was disappointing.
We wandered around the garden, which is not very big but very pleasant, but were very disappointed that there was not a single bench or seating of any description anywhere on the grounds to be able to sit under the trees and read or just take in the surroundings.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2014

A beautiful property, the history and grandeur of this hotel is truly amazing. If your after accommodation with old world charm and comfort, it's somewhere you can appreciate 5 star.
Dinner in Eleonore's Restaurant was wonderful and full compliments to the Chef, really enjoyed the excellent menu and great service.
Only downfall of our two night weekend stay was Breakfast in Sweetwater Cafe,which sadly was a disappointment. Not really impressed with poached eggs twice being hard boiled and presentation of meals just plain boring.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2014

Setting out of this world. Room was exquisite however food was just okay and not worth the money. Service was good but the poor girls lugging the luggage was not a good sight or appropriate. Its worth going for a one off experience of what was a 1st class good old fashioned hotel with a touch of class and worthy of four stars not quite 5.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2014

WOW. Thank you to all the staff at Chateau Yering for an incredible night once again. We arrived running late and were immediately shown to our beautiful suite in the Stables. There was a bottle of french champagne waiting on ice for us. We were giving instructions about the room and left to enjoy and unwind . The room was comfortable and had a lovely cosy feel to it. We changed and met friends for dinner. We began with drinks in the drawing room lazing in comfy wing back chairs. We were then shown to our seats. After warm welcomes we were explained our menus for the evening. We had chosen the degustation with drinks to match. SUPERB!! The food is of the highest quality and presentation is immaculate. We ended our meal with cheese and after dinner drinks with the staff to finish an Amazing night. I would highly recommend this restuarant and property to anyone. THANKYOU ALL FOR A WONDERFUL TIME. :)

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2014

Wanting to surprise mum with a road trip to the Yarra Valley for one of her favourite pastimes - high tea - I thought that Chateau Yering would fit the bill nicely.

I should have saved myself the $65 x 3 = $195 I forked out and the two hour car return trip and instead taken her out for breakfast/brunch/lunch at one of my local inner city cafes.

I'll drop the dragger temporarily to focus on the positives; the location was quaint and the food was tasty. However...

We were seated next to a wall, and while mum had a sliver of window next to her, I asked the waiter if we could be relocated to one of the many available tables next to windows. His reply was that every table - including in the restaurant - was booked out. Never mind that the table immediately besides ours, next to a window, remained free for the entire three hours' duration of afternoon tea...

While on the topic of logistics, a lady who required abundant space for herself and her bariatric sized wheeled walker was seated at the halfway point in the room, incidentally at the table next to ours. Every time she made her way to the buffet, either myself or a person at the opposite table had to get up and push their chair in to make room. Couldn't the staff have had better insight to seat this poor lady in a more accessible location, so that no one was inconvenienced (including her)?

As I mentioned, the food was not to be faulted, however, how do the ribbon sandwiches run out 30 min into a three our event catered as a buffet?? I at least managed one serve of sandwiches before they vanished...

I did enjoy the mango juice that I ordered, but unfortunately I had to get up and find a waiter to order from! I twice unsuccessfully attempted to get the attention of staff on the floor, who only walked past me. I was surprised to see that the tea on offer was tea bag Twinings and the coffee was capsule-based self serve out of one of two machine that didn't work...

And if that wasn't enough of a suboptimal experience, I discovered the adventure that is a trip to the ladies' bathroom. Located in the corner of the adjacent room, I literally had to step over the legs and feet of people sitting on the couches lined up on route to the door! No clear path, and no one seem bothered about being in the way.

Will I ever return? Definitely not. Will I recommend the experience to others? Not even as a joke. As a regular diner and self proclaimed foodie, this was simply an inexcusable service for such a high price. I'm still wondering what exactly I paid for...

Stayed May 2014, traveled with family

Been to Chateau Yering? Share your experiences!