“Excellent service, old world charm” 5 of 5 stars

Chateau Yering
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   42 Melba Highway, Yering, Victoria 3770, Australia   |
Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Yering
Melbourne, Australia
“Excellent service, old world charm”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

We found the service first class with nothing too much bother.
The decor through the whole chateau is stunning especially in the drawing and dining rooms.
We stayed in the Timms suite with a great view over the Yarra valley and a large balcony with which to view it from.
We stayed two nights and dined in both nights and absolutely adored the meals and the wine recommendations were totally appropriate for the menu.
The suite was spacious and beautifully decorated.
The Do Not Disturb cats enchanted my wife, a cute touch.
Being right next door to the winery and a farmers market on Sunday morning meant we didn't have to go anywhere else for the weekend.
We missed out on ballooning due to the weather but treated ourselves to a great massage in our room instead.
I would recommend Cateau Yering to anyone looking for a quiet weekend for two.

Room Tip: Choose a river view room with a large balcony
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

169 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012 via mobile

Anyone who hasn't been to Chateau Yering doesn't know what their missing out on.
This beautiful hotel hosts Eleonore's restaurant which was an exceptional dinning experience.
The food was superb, the matching wines by the sommelier were spot on as we left them for him to choose, the wine list is exceptional, the dinning room is beautiful with that old world elegant charm, the cheese trolley is something else and a must to have, the service was exceptional and first class.
On our way out, we stopped to look at all of their highly recognized awards on display. 2012 National restaurant of the year was amongst others there.
My wife and I were discussing how can such a restaurant only be one hat?
We had both been to numerous three hat establishments and Michelin star places and this restaurant holds it's own.
What an amazing place to visit especially if it is a special occasion or a weekend away as it doesn't get much better!

• Stayed December 2012
Bentleigh, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

I thought I'd surprise my wife with a night away somewhere different so after much searching took a package which included a 3 course dinner and full breakfast. The location is quiet and well away from any traffic noise, the history and quality of the old homestead has got to be experienced, the dinner and especially the service was exceptional, the staff couldn't have done more, and the River suite was roomy, well furnished including a very comfy king bed, great shower and a huge verandah. We were early enough to have afternoon tea, watch a wedding in the gardens, and see some lucky people depart in a jet helicopter back to Melbourne (got to do that one day!). We didn't get to do breaky justice as we were still full from the night before. By the way, the young guy who selected our drinks for the dinner was the best - by the time he finished explaining my wife's drink and how it would compliment her course I would have drank anything he offered, what a talent he has.

Room Tip: we chose the base room, the River suite, and as a couple there is nothing more we could have wanted.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Frankston, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

The reception staff didn't even smile. They made us feel like we were ruining their day by being there.This was our second visit as our first visit was even worse. My breakfast that I ordered without salmon came with salmon, my coffee was lukewarm. So lukewarm most people would have called it cold, and then we were ORDERED to pay for it and were highly embararrassed as we were leaving by Tony the Manager who INISISTED we pay when he spoke so loudly saying the other party REFUSED to pay as it was part of a balloon trip. NO they didn't. Our room had next to nothing in it. Chateau Yering did everything to make us feel like we were nothing to them. Like something from the burbs. I would have thought they would have wanted us to feel like valued customers who would have told the world how wonderful they are. What a weird lot of people they are. They do however have the most comfortable beds and best doonas. But their staff are lacking customer service and should be taught how to acknowledge and relate to customers and make them feel valued and acknowledged. If Chateau Yering are going to give Gift Rooms for goodness sake give customer service with them. You silly lot. This has not done a lot for your reputation.

Room Tip: Don't pick the rooms where you have to walk through the kitchen area. There are steps you could...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

Hubby and I finally managed a night away from the kids. It's been 5 years since we last went away together and we were celebrating our 11th year anniversary. The staff were friendly on check in. She even helped us with our luggage.

The River Room was fantastic! Bed was very comfortable. The tv is a bit small though and tea making facility is weirdly placed on top of the bidet! We decided to have lunch at the cafe so we didn't have to leave the place. We ttok advantage of the 2 course special with wine for $40. Service was a bit slow though and we were starving! But the food was delicious once we got them.

We didn't finish lunch till after 3 which is a bit late since our dinner booking was for 7 pm. We moved dinner till 7:30. After a nap and then some wine tasting next door, we started to get ready for dinner. We had pre-dinner drinks in the drawing room which we got for free because there was a wedding reception right next to our room (Langdon) and I had inquired about the expected noise level. So it was very nice that they acknowledged this.

Dinner was fantastic! I was very happy with all of my choices. The duck, then wagyu beef and the cheese platter - trolley!!! Yummy! A whole trolley parked right infront of me and I was told I could have a sliver of all of the cheeses if I wanted them! I had half! The duck for entree was small but had a really rich taste which I loved! However, there was frozen yoghurt with the dish which really interfered with me fully enjoying the dish. The beef was devine. I loved the smokey flavour. The staff at dinner were all great.

When we got back to our room (a bit after 11 pm), the wedding is reaching it's end. It was really noisy as the guests were cheering, dancing, etc. When they were leaving, they were passing by right outside of our room and some were even hanging and chatting outside our door. I think it will help if there's a staff member who can get the crowd moving so to respect the other patrons staying in these rooms. So that was the only disappointing bit of our stay,

Overall, we had a wonderul 11the year anniversary. What we paid was really reasonable especially considering the amount of food included in the package. I think we'll struggle finding another package that cheap. Maybe we got the package cheap because there was a wedding next door? Hmmm...

Room Tip: Ask if there's a wedding or function booked the time of your stay and avoid that wing...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Victoria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

We enjoyed a fabulous one night mid-week break after a gorgeous bike ride along the Lilydale to Warburton rail trail. Beautifully appointed rooms, magnificent bed, stunning views. We loved the petit four and tin of biscuits upon arrival, although the tea/coffee making facilities are awkwardly placed above the bidet! Nice bathroom with good quality products. The provision of robes and slippers is always luxurious, however the robes had been laundered once too often, so were stiff and scratchy rather than soft and fluffy. I echo the sentiments of another reviewer - the domestic laundry trolley kept in the corridor at the top of the grand stair case was tacky and unpleasent. Dinner at Eleanor's Restaurant was superb and well worth it. It was a grand dining experience with a knowledgable young waiter and stunning views as the setting sun turned the distant mountain range a wonderous shade of colours. Breakfast was a tad disappointing though. Standard cereals, fresh and canned fruits, pre-sliced (a little dry) bread for toasting and commercial juices rather than freshly squeezed. The cooked breakfast was satisfactory however the bacon had been pre-cooked which rendered it rubbery and very difficult to cut. We strolled through the gardens and explored the surrounding countryside, taking in the ambience of the grand mansion, playing scrabble in the library whilst enjoying quiet solitude. I recommend a stay at Chateau Yering, a pleasant get-away from the kids, so close to Melbourne.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Chateau Yering? Share your experiences!