“peaceful” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Walhalla's Star Hotel

You added Walhalla's Star Hotel to your Saves list
Walhalla's Star Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   130 Main Road | Walhalla Historic Township, Walhalla, Victoria 3825, Australia   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Walhalla
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Lithgow, Australia
“peaceful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

My wife and I had 2 nights at the star hotel everything was excellent from the hosts to the meals could not fault it the area is steeped in Australian history very laid back we will certainly be back for longer next time.

Room Tip: all rooms have different views ours was of the band rotunda with the mountains as a back drop very b...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
MichaelLeaney, Owner at Walhalla's Star Hotel, responded to this review, October 18, 2013
Thank you for your kind words, I look forward to you returning. I hope that you are all safe and sound with the bushfires near your home and that you're not under threat. Best wishes, Michael

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
City Beach, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

We loved our return to Walhalla's Star Hotel. Relaxation began the second we stepped through the door. With a friendly welcome, everything explained and shown all the necessary features we were free to wind down, enjoy each other's company and be happy in the knowledge we had to plan for nothing more than exploring the surrounds, or deciding whether to sit in the sunshine on the balcony or enjoy lounging in the comfy chairs in our room. A perfect way to celebrate our anniversary. Michael and co were the best hosts, and provided a scrumptious dinner, delicious wine and enjoyable conversation. We truly felt we were welcome guests. The other guests were friendly, it was enjoyable to spend a few minutes chatting while making a cuppa or choosing a book. Sadly it was over all too quickly, but the memories remain and we "will" be back again. It took us 8 years between visits last time, but I know we won't be tardy in arranging the next. Walhalla's Star Hotel is truly a jewel in Walhalla's crown. A beautiful place to get away from it all.

Room Tip: I've experienced two different rooms and I would say they're all good. Rooms are spacious an...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
MichaelLeaney, Owner at Walhalla's Star Hotel, responded to this review, October 16, 2013
Thank you for your review and kind words. It's nice to know that we're ticking all the right boxes. Look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future. Regards, Michael
Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

Thank you Michael and Russell for your hospitality and an awesome weekend at your gorgeous hotel. We were looking forward to bringing our friends up to Walhalla as we were there 15 years ago and remembered what a charmingly picturesque, quaint, peaceful little town it was. We wanted to stay in Walhalla this time (last time we stayed in Rawson) but we were a little bit nervous on where to stay. We were not disappointed at The Star Hotel. We were made to feel very comfortable on arrival, Michael and Russell answered every question we threw at them about Walhalla etc. The accommodation was fantastic- clean and very comfortable. The balcony room was beautiful. Sitting out on the balcony made us feel like we could have been back in the 1890's but with all the comforts I needed inside my room. Dinner was delicious, we were pleasantly surprised with the standard of food. Full credit to Michael and Russell. We will definitely return to Walhalla and highly recommend staying at The Star hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review, we're very happy you enjoyed your stay at the Star and our food in our restaurant. So glad you got over your nerves on where to stay...please don't leave it for another 15 years before you return to the Star. Regards, Michael
Boolarra, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

My partner and I booked a night at the Star Hotel for $172 on wotif.com. With a self rating of 4 stars we expected much much more. The room was cold and very boring. It wasn't private as our room had windows that looked straight onto the carpark. I thought the hosts to be quite rude and we didn't feel as welcomed - maybe because we are young. Although the room was clean, we ended up just leaving the keys on the desk and leaving a 5pm after checking in at 2pm because we both agreed we didn't want to stay there. I'm asthmatic and the room was much to cold at night for me.
It was a waste of money. And before you reply with some comment about it being a peaceful place to come - I agree, it is peaceful. But I think there should be a TV in the room (because we are now in the 21st century and it is a luxury item to have, even if you don't use it) and better heating and curtains. You could hear the people above us walking around and talking. Definitely not worth 4 stars. For $172 you could get a much nicer hotel room elsewhere. I don't even know if the owners have stayed in a 4 star hotel before? because it wouldn't seem like it.
If you are younger and want to check out such an amazing town, DO NOT stay at Star as you will not feel welcome or enjoy yourself.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
MichaelLeaney, Owner at Walhalla's Star Hotel, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Thank you for your review, but I must say I'm very disappointed as I never actually met you as you did not emerge from your room during your short 3 hour stay. Russell who checked you is also disappointed, he advises that while checking you in and explaining the room and hotel facilities you were both silent. He was under the clear impression you wanted to be left alone...fast! We also note that on the day of your arrival it was 22c...there are two heaters in the room, a reverse cycle air-con and a panel heater. The operation of these heaters was explained to you on check-in. I'm not 100% sure how you can claim the room the be much too cold at night when you departed at 5pm and didn't even stay the night. We ask all other readers to please note the other reviews on TripAdvisor stating how warm the rooms are. Given the warm day, we didn't pre-heat the room, but you were welcome to switch both heaters on if you wanted to. The curtains in all our room are black out...I note that when I inspected the room post your departure that they were drawn closed. You obviously failed to notice the garden between your room and the picket fence.. The beautiful camellia outside you room also escaped your eyes as did the garden seating area.. There is no other room above the room you were in so how you heard people above you is beyond me. Perhaps it was ghosts? Given your stay was for 3 hours between 2pm and 5pm it's possible that you this was the sound to people outside in the street enjoying themselves or walking the corridor. If the noises you heard was between 2am and 5am I'd be concerned...but on a busy Saturday afternoon?. Your review just proves that you can't please everyone and how important it is to check all details carefully when you book. We have people arrive who want to be private and left alone [as was your vibe] while others arrive who want to have a chat.There is much more to life than TV but again as you'll note from other reviews on this site, it's all about how you look at things. We clearly communicate we do not have television at the hotel. If this is an important criteria for you, DO NOT stay with us. This fact is clearly outlined on wotif...I'm at a loss to know why you would book with us knowing this fact...then complain about it? We cannot read minds or do anything about things if people don't communicate want they want or their needs...it has nothing to do with age...it's all about communicating. Just walking out leaving the key on the front desk does leave us wondering. It's amusing to be called rude and unwelcoming by a guest who locks themselves in their room for 3 hours then slinks away without even the courtesy of say they are leaving and therefore giving us the opportunity to even A: meet you, or B: rectify the situation. When I inspected the room after discovering your key on the front desk I noted that room was "well used" so I just presumed that the purpose of your stay had been satisfied and thought it best not to make contact to ask why you had departed so early. It's a pity you didn't stay and enjoy the lounge, read a magazine, enjoy a CD, have some conversation with other guests [and ourselves], dine in our restaurant, have a nice glass of wine and relax beyond your comfort zone of having a television. What is one person's "bore" is clearly another's "bliss" if you look at the various reviews on this site...we just ask that people inform themselves prior to making a booking and then if they are not happy say something as this gives us the opportunity to suggest alternatives or solutions. Everyone should note we have people of all ages stay at the hotel. It is certainly not that case that "younger" people are not welcome at the Star Hotel...we have numerous "young" people stay who have a great time, but I would say that the difference between them and this reviewer is that they were prepared to step outside their normal routine and enjoy something different.
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

My husband and I very much valued our stay at the Star Hotel. Michael has done a wonderful job in rebuilding the hotel. He looked after us well to ensure we enjoyed our Walhalla visit. The rooms were clean, comfortable and spacious. The guest lounge, although small was cosy with comfortable lounges and a fantastic assortment of books, mags, CDs and board games. As there are no TVs in the hotel, this was a great place to relax, especially in front of the wood heater. Dinner in the hotel restaurant on Saturday night was well-cooked and satisfying. Breakfast is continental but with plenty to choose including fresh fruit, yoghurt and very good coffee. I like the way Michael has set up areas where guests can help themselves to all day tea/coffee and biscuits. There's even an 'honour' system for purchasing bottles of wine. When booking guests should check opening times and be aware there are limited places to eat In Walhalla.
Walhalla is a gem of a place and worth a visit if you value our history, enjoy the natural environment, or just want to 'slow down' and relax. We were there during the Vinter Ljusfest where several buildings in the township were lit up or vision of early life was displayed. It added to the charm of the place. There are a few interesting shops open on weekends and Wednesdays if you want a coffee, something sweet, gifts etc. The scenery in the area is beautiful and there are plenty of walks. We enjoyed the walk along the old tramway to Thomson railway station, as suggested by Russell. The train journey on the Walhalla Goldfield's Railway was excellent, passing through rocky gorges, fern gullies and over historic wooden bridges. This service is a credit to the volunteers who run it. The Long Tunnel Gold mine tour is fascinating and worth doing. We definitely want to return and we would recommend staying at the Star Hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
WalhallaVictoria, Owner at Walhalla's Star Hotel, responded to this review, September 7, 2013
Thank you for your review, I'm so pleased you had a wonderful time at the Star Hotel. Having been living in Walhalla for over 15 years, I take it's beauty and attractions for granted...it's a nice reminder to me to have someone highlight the area with new eyes. Glad you enjoyed the Walhalla Vinter Ljusfest too...it was a huge success. We look forward to seeing you back at the Star Hotel soon.
Melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

We went to Walhalla for 1 night with friends and stayed at the Star Hotel. The owner was very friendly and helpful, the rooms clean and well set-up. We thoroughly enjoyed our evening playing board games in the shared lounge. I would recommend Star Hotel for a quiet escape.

• Stayed October 2012
MichaelLeaney, Owner at Walhalla's Star Hotel, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Thank you for your review. I'm pleased you enjoyed your stay at the Star an your evening in our lounge. In today's busy electronic word, simple and enjoyable pleasures such as playing a board game with others is too often forgotten. Look forward to seeing you back in Walhalla and at the Star soon.
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

My husband & I along with our Sister in law and her cousin and his wife, all spent a wonderful time at the Star Hotel in Walhalla Victoria. We all had a King size room, 3 course meal for dinner on the Saturday night, complimentary bottle of wine per room and breakfast the following morning. Very reasonable rates. Excellent accommodation, warm and inviting. The meal was fantastic, breakfast just as good. Would certainly recommend the Star for a stop over, fantastic service, Walhalla is a quaint little town full of history and interesting things to do. Will certainly come back to the Star.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
MichaelLeaney, Owner at Walhalla's Star Hotel, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Thank you for you review. We're glad you enjoyed your stay at the Star. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future. Keep an eye on our website for more great value packages like the one you enjoyed too!

Been to Walhalla's Star Hotel? Share your experiences!