“Oasis for Weary Travellers” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Melbourne Airport

You added Holiday Inn Melbourne Airport to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Melbourne Airport
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   10-14 Centre Road, Tullamarine, Victoria 3045, Australia   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Tullamarine
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Sydney, Australia
“Oasis for Weary Travellers”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2009

Travelling around gets tiring and leads us to become "jaded" at times.
At the end of the day all you want is a place to rest, reorganize and recuperate.
I am glad to say that this hotel satisfied all these demands.
This place is so quiet, you can't even hear a pen drop.
A few years ago I stayed at the Hilton Airport Hotel across the
road and was kept awake ALL night by planes. The Holiday Inn
by comparison gave me a great night's rest. Even got up to 8
hours which for me is very good indeed. Watched CNN and news
channels all night. When you are here you have to order the "Inn Burger"
which is a fantastic meal !! Quick and easy while you watch your favourite
TV shows. The rooms are very spacious. The tables and chairs are comfortable
and the bathroom and complimentaries are extremely good. If you have people
with you, its even got a bar table to entertain. The fridges contain wine and good
quality beer. Downstairs in the lobby the service was average but the dinner staff
are better. The hotel shuttle was also a bit slow but at the end of the day all you
want is a place to rest and feel 100% the next day and this hotel made me feel
110%. The beds are great for your back and come with a series of hard and soft
pillows for your choice. Excellent if you have ergonomic demands for backs.
As far as travel goes, sometimes we can all get a bit jaded and treat every hotel
as "one of the same" but this place leaves a different impression. It really was a pleasure to stay here. One day if I ever stay longer instead of getting a hotel in town I'll just spend a few nights here as all I want is a place that is comfortable, quiet, healthy for by back and most of all re-energizing with good food and compliments. This hotel surely delivered in those respects. 9/10

• Stayed April 2009, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Bucharest, Romania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2009

Basic room, acceptable clean. This place is nothing special, but good in case you are leaving early in the morning from Melbourne Airport. The hotel is worn down and would need some re-furbishing, even tough the hall was worse then the rooms itself. You can walk to the terminal, even tough you have to walk a bit cross country (construction sites).We did not try the breakfast buffet, so no information about this.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2009

we needed a hotel near the airport to pick up a very early morning arrival.
we were looking at the Hilton but were put off by the additional parking fees on top of pretty steep price. so we booked the Holiday Inn for $200 standard room, and free parking. the hotel looks pretty drab both outside and in, but our room was fantastic (we were given a superior). very comfortable and spacious and a luxurious king bed.
we had a drink in the bar (hotel prices, pretty high) and dinner in the restaurant (average price, average quality, limited choices). breakfast next day was a beautiful buffet (but pretty pricey again). in the end we paid 200 for the room and another 200 for the food and drink... the room service menu was very extensive so we wish we had chosen of that, and have breakfast in MacD, across the road.
anyway, in the morning we walked the 5 minutes to the terminal, did our pick up, walked back, checked out got our car from the parking and went home. For us a better option than the Hilton, but next time we'll stay in the Formula 1 across the road.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Lennox Head
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2009

A basic hotel. No crockery. Stay the night only. Wouldn't be too bad but the rack rate of $AU220 is ridiculous.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — no facilities in room or in hotel.
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
perth
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2009

We arrived late in evening with a two and four year old - we had no help from staff getting to our room with four suitcases.
Supposedly a "family room" we had two double beds with no room to open anything but your sheets.
Jumped into bed quickly as planned to drive 4 hours north in morning - had absolutely no sleep at all due to bed bugs in our second bed - my daughter and myself scratced ourselves stupid all night - I didn't let staff know as husband and son were asleep in bed next to us and husband had to drive in the morning - I am a Registered Nurse so know the signs and symptoms - my four year old daughter had bites all over her in the morning and i scratched all night with no sleep - give it a miss - even for a short stop over i would go to the Hilton.
The next morning at checkout the girl was rubbing her nose a few times and then taking my credit card to finalise bill.
Not happy at all.

• Liked — proximity to airport
  • Disliked — The bedbugs
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
IHG_Hotel, Hotel Manager at Holiday Inn Melbourne Airport, responded to this review, May 6, 2009
Dear perthescape,

We would like to sincerely thank you for having taken the time and effort to share your experience with us. We have tried unsuccessfully to contact you directly to clarify the matters you raised. Please do get in touch with us so that we can personally address your comments.

Your feedback is valuable and like to assure you that it has already been used to make a difference to our check-in service.

We have also thoroughly investigated your comments regarding bed bugs and we can confirm that there have been no instances of these being brought to our attention by other guests or staff. All guest rooms are serviced daily and linen and mattress protectors are replaced on a routine basis. Mattresses and mattress protectors are specifically checked and replaced if necessary during the daily room servicing that may compromise our standards of hygiene or guest comfort.

On the size of our rooms, we have no rooms in our hotel which feature two double beds other than our Superior Twin rooms, which are reasonably sized at 34 square metres. The term ‘Family Room’ is not featured in our approved marketing materials, and sincerely apologise if the room you booked was not what you had expected.

Rest assured that we at Holiday Inn Melbourne Airport will ensure that all our guests experience the high level of facilities and service which other reviewers have mentioned.

Kind regards

Hotel Management,
Holiday Inn Melbourne Airport
Wellington, New Zealand
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2008

My travel agent booked me at the Holiday Inn while in transit from Hobart to NZ. The positives were - refurbished room was nice, pillow options great and room service pricing OK.
Negatives - walk in rain to hotel, mistaken wake-up calls at 2:30am and 3:15am THEN no wake-up call when I booked it! little noise control so constant noise from other guests.
Quite simply the worst night sleep I have ever had in a hotel.
If you do stay there do book a transfer, my agent hadn't booked a transfer and the sign outside had a local phone number only so for an international cellphone I didn't know how to call. I therefore walked in the freezing cold rain and was soaked on arrival. The check-in staff advised there is a phone in the terminal - which I had walked around and not located so can't have been prominently placed.

• Liked — Pillows
  • Disliked — Service
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
Kabul, Afghanistan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2008

I stay at Melbourne Airport regularly on business trips, I have also tried the Formule 1 and the Hilton, however the Holiday Inn is my preferred option, and they must like me because they keep giving me room upgrades (thank you!!)

The three hotels at MEL are the two star Formule 1, which has tiny rooms, the (I would guess) 3 1/2 star Holiday Inn and the five star Hilton. The latter might be your preferred option if money is no object, as it has great restaurants and is closest to the terminals.

The Holiday Inn (Like the Formule 1) is a 10 minute walk away from the main terminal building, and is located at the other end of the car park. The covered carpark is opposite the terminal, walk across the north side -- right as you leave the terminal -- of the open air carpark, and you will see the Holiday Inn. the Formule 1 and a McDonalds are opposite. There is a coutesy bus, for which I think you pay, but I don't generally bother with it.

This stay they very kindly upgraded me to a king room, which is very spacious and about twice the size of the standard rooms, which are fairly small. It had a lounge room with a lounge suite (not just one or two chairs) and a separate bedroom. there were two bathrooms, not necessary but obviously these rooms have been created out of what were once two separate rooms. If you want more space these are definitely worth extra money.

The hotel has been around since the 1970s, when Tullamarine Airport was first built, and was built at the time when (what was then) Travelodge were building triangular hotels like this one in various places around Australia. Since then the hotel has been refurbished a couple of time and doesn't feel old to me.

I had a pillow marked firm and another marked soft on the bed - a nice touch - I took the soft one. Room is quiet and I slept well. Both bedroom and lounge room have full width (but not full height) windows so there is plenty of light when you open them, although my view was carpark and airport terminal.

Have tried (rather too small) bar and restaurant previously and found them OK, arriving late this time I used room service which was a satisfactory meal, and arrived quickly, but was not cheap.

No delay getting a taxi from this Hotel this time, once the staff ordered it, although previously I have had a bit of a wait.

Stayed December 2008, traveled on business

Been to Holiday Inn Melbourne Airport? Share your experiences!