“Comfort without soul” 4 of 5 stars
Review of PARKROYAL Melbourne Airport

You added PARKROYAL Melbourne Airport to your Saves list
PARKROYAL Melbourne Airport
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Arrival Drive, Melbourne Airport, Tullamarine, Victoria 3045, Australia   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast on us!
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Tullamarine
Copenhagen, Denmark
“Comfort without soul”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

This hotel is conveniently located at Melbourne airport and is efficient and comfortable. The rooms are well equipped and the beds are comfortable. The breakfast was expensive and relatively poor for what as on offer and I noticed that it had deteriorated since my last stay,

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
GMPRMLA, General Manager at PARKROYAL Melbourne Airport, responded to this review, December 9, 2012
Dear WernMachine,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience following your recent stay.
I was pleased to read you enjoyed our convenient location and comfortable beds, however I was disappointed to hear our breakfast did not meet your expectation. Please accept my sincere apologies. Rest assured I have noted your comments and have passed your feedback onto our Food and Beverage Department.
Once again, thank you for sharing your experience and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.
Michael Johnson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (315)
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
N.E Victora
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012 via mobile

Checkin was painless and efficient. Friendly welcoming staff. Nice addition of free Internet for joining the GHA Rewards (which costs nothing)

The rooms are really very good. Great size. Twin rooms can easily fit mum dad and 2 small kids. Bathroom needs a touch up with lots of water damage in the shower. Rooms would benefit from complimentary biscuits. Free water was another bonus of GHA membership. Runway view rooms are worth the spend if you have time to kill or are a plane geek

Communal area such as ladies toilet look nice at first glance, but basic cleanliness of toilet bowls was lacking. They haven't seen bleach and a good scrub for a while.

Bar area is tired. Chairs at dirty as is the carpet. I spilled my drink and had to ask for a cloth, no offer to make a new one. I had to get up and ask. Service was lacking.

Restaurant was great. Food was lovely (barramundi). Small serves perfect for me but any guy would be left starving (need to order sides)

I've eaten a lot of breakfast buffets. This one rates poorly. Service was excellent but the buffet itself was not hot enough. Food was barely warm on my plate. Bacon was dried out and chewy. Pancake making machine was great.

Overall. VERY pricey for what it is. A few cosmetic changes will help bring it up to scratch. I'll still always stay here due to its location which is excellent

• Stayed December 2012
Dear MumDadAndTwoKids,
Thank you for sharing your experience following your recent stay.
I was pleased to read you and your family enjoyed our good size rooms with nice runway view and friendly service our team provided. I was however disappointed to hear some of you overall experience did not meet your expectation. Rest assured I have noted your comments regarding your breakfast and bar issues and have passed your feedback onto our Food & Beverage Department. We have also scheduled some furniture and equipment replacement in our Airo Restaurant for 2013.
Once again, thank you for sharing your experience and we look forward to welcoming you and your family back again in the near future.
Bendigo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

We booked in to the hotel the night before a morning international flight; the hotel's location right across the road from the terminal makes it very handy.

Check-in and -out were friendly and efficient. We were upgraded to a spa suite, which was great - very spacious, view of the runway (and good soundproofing on the windows!). Dinner at the restaurant was great and Rohan, our waiter, was terrific.

Like everyone else, I'll pay tribute to the beds - extremely comfortable.

A la carte breakfast was better value than the buffet; it takes a little longer, but it's freshly prepared and we had two cooked breakfasts for around the price of one full buffet.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
GMPRMLA, General Manager at PARKROYAL Melbourne Airport, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
Dear Terri-Anne K,
Thank you for taking the time to share your pleasant experience following your recent stay.
It was great to hear you enjoyed your stay in the hotel, especially our handy location, the friendly and efficient services our team provided and our comfortable new beds. Rest assured that your comments have been passed on to the relevant individuals and managers in order to congratulate them on a job well done.
Once again, thank you for sharing your positive experience and look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again in the near future.
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

I stayed in July 2012 because I had a very early flight out. The alternative option was leaving the house at 4am so I thought I'd give this a go. I say, this was a good splurge.

Splurge would be the first word because the price is a bit dear compared to what I assume most airport hotels charge. Even so, in the end I thought the splurge was well worth it. I checked it late at night and it took five minutes to get everything settled. The room was on the good side of standard semi-lux hotel rooms, and the runway view was quite enjoyable. The check out was a breeze. It was really worth the money when half my office showed up for the flight looking half-dead while I managed to get my proper sleep.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Dear mitzie-b,
Thank you for sharing your experience with your fellow travellers.
I was pleased to read you enjoyed your stay with our nice runway room and the efficient service our team provided.
We trust you had a successful business trip and look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.
West Linn, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

I stayed here in early 2011 when the property was a Hilton. This property remains a convenient, upscale lodging option for those connecting to international flights the next morning, albeit an expensive option.

The hotel was literally across the road from baggage claim and I was checked in and up to my room less than 30 minutes after I landed. I had a very nice "deluxe king-bedded runway view" room. The hotel has been well-maintained and my room had everything I needed at hand. For my purposes, the business center and its desktop PC was a real plus.

I paid A$330 for my room, which seemed a bit high (by way of comparison, I paid less than US$200 for a night in a comparable, executive-level room at the LAX Hilton). However, I understand that everything related to the Melbourne airport is expensive in the extreme, and there is a value to the convenience of having the hotel right on the airport.

On balance, if you're looking for ultimate convenience/location if headed out the next day on one of the long-haul flights (like the Qantas non-stop to LAX) this property is the hotel of choice so long as you're willing to pay the cost.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Dear Flying_Lawyer,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and travel tips with your fellow travellers following your recent stay.
I was pleased to read you enjoyed your stay with us especially our nice runway view room and convenient location. We do offer 10% discount for advance purchase bookings and our deluxe room offers great value which includes complimentary WIFI, buffet breakfast and bottled water on arrival.
Melbourne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

Stayed here (family of 4) prior to a long international flight. Opted for a standard room with 2 double beds as that was the cheapest option, room was very small, barely fit the 2 beds and us and luggage! Other than that it was fine for a nights sleep, there was some minimal airport noise but it wasn't too bad. The best thing is the easy covered walkway to / from terminals.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear travelholicaussie,
Thank you for spending time to write a review following your recent stay.
I was pleased to hear you enjoyed our convenient location and had a good night’s sleep. For future visits, I would recommend our family rooms which have one king size bed and two single beds with a little more space for the family.
We trust you and your family had a nice trip and look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

Stayed here many times in transit when it was the Hilton and was always very impressed. It's still an easy place to stay if you're arriving very late or getting away really early in the morning, but the Parkroyal doesn't quite deliver the Hilton experience.....which I'm sure they are not trying to do, to be fair!

Rooms are obviously the same - they're comfortable, reasonably sized, with good beds and a flat screen TV. The bathrooms are on the small side but well laid out and functional. I haven't eaten here since it became the Parkroyal so can't comment on the food.

On both occasions I have stayed here of late I have been welcomed warmly, processed through check-in quickly and sent off to my room in minutes. That's what you want from most hotels, but especially those at airports. I usually ask for a room that is higher up and well away from the lifts and that has been accommodated both times.

OK, I admit it. I don't get the pampering attention and the little extra luxuries that come with Hilton Honors membership now that it has changed hands. However, I get what I need which is a clean, safe, well furnished room, pretty nice facilities, consistently good service and only a short walk to the terminal. Not bad really! Oh, and they will endorse your parking ticket - 3 days of parking cost me only $45 compared to the $150 odd it would have cost to have just driven, parked and gone to my plane. The saving almost paid for the room!

Room Tip: get a room well away from lifts as people arrive and leave at all hours and they will talk and make...