“Convenient and comfortable” 4 of 5 stars
Review of PARKROYAL Melbourne Airport

You added PARKROYAL Melbourne Airport to your Saves list
PARKROYAL Melbourne Airport
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Arrival Drive, Melbourne Airport, Tullamarine, Victoria 3045, Australia   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Complimentary breakfast
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Tullamarine
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Melbourne, Australia
“Convenient and comfortable”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

I stayed in July 2012 because I had a very early flight out. The alternative option was leaving the house at 4am so I thought I'd give this a go. I say, this was a good splurge.

Splurge would be the first word because the price is a bit dear compared to what I assume most airport hotels charge. Even so, in the end I thought the splurge was well worth it. I checked it late at night and it took five minutes to get everything settled. The room was on the good side of standard semi-lux hotel rooms, and the runway view was quite enjoyable. The check out was a breeze. It was really worth the money when half my office showed up for the flight looking half-dead while I managed to get my proper sleep.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
GMPRMLA, General Manager at PARKROYAL Melbourne Airport, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
Dear mitzie-b,
Thank you for sharing your experience with your fellow travellers.
I was pleased to read you enjoyed your stay with our nice runway room and the efficient service our team provided.
We trust you had a successful business trip and look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.
Michael Johnson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (272)
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
West Linn, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

I stayed here in early 2011 when the property was a Hilton. This property remains a convenient, upscale lodging option for those connecting to international flights the next morning, albeit an expensive option.

The hotel was literally across the road from baggage claim and I was checked in and up to my room less than 30 minutes after I landed. I had a very nice "deluxe king-bedded runway view" room. The hotel has been well-maintained and my room had everything I needed at hand. For my purposes, the business center and its desktop PC was a real plus.

I paid A$330 for my room, which seemed a bit high (by way of comparison, I paid less than US$200 for a night in a comparable, executive-level room at the LAX Hilton). However, I understand that everything related to the Melbourne airport is expensive in the extreme, and there is a value to the convenience of having the hotel right on the airport.

On balance, if you're looking for ultimate convenience/location if headed out the next day on one of the long-haul flights (like the Qantas non-stop to LAX) this property is the hotel of choice so long as you're willing to pay the cost.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Dear Flying_Lawyer,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and travel tips with your fellow travellers following your recent stay.
I was pleased to read you enjoyed your stay with us especially our nice runway view room and convenient location. We do offer 10% discount for advance purchase bookings and our deluxe room offers great value which includes complimentary WIFI, buffet breakfast and bottled water on arrival.
Once again, thank you for sharing your experience and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.
Melbourne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

Stayed here (family of 4) prior to a long international flight. Opted for a standard room with 2 double beds as that was the cheapest option, room was very small, barely fit the 2 beds and us and luggage! Other than that it was fine for a nights sleep, there was some minimal airport noise but it wasn't too bad. The best thing is the easy covered walkway to / from terminals.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear travelholicaussie,
Thank you for spending time to write a review following your recent stay.
I was pleased to hear you enjoyed our convenient location and had a good night’s sleep. For future visits, I would recommend our family rooms which have one king size bed and two single beds with a little more space for the family.
We trust you and your family had a nice trip and look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

Stayed here many times in transit when it was the Hilton and was always very impressed. It's still an easy place to stay if you're arriving very late or getting away really early in the morning, but the Parkroyal doesn't quite deliver the Hilton experience.....which I'm sure they are not trying to do, to be fair!

Rooms are obviously the same - they're comfortable, reasonably sized, with good beds and a flat screen TV. The bathrooms are on the small side but well laid out and functional. I haven't eaten here since it became the Parkroyal so can't comment on the food.

On both occasions I have stayed here of late I have been welcomed warmly, processed through check-in quickly and sent off to my room in minutes. That's what you want from most hotels, but especially those at airports. I usually ask for a room that is higher up and well away from the lifts and that has been accommodated both times.

OK, I admit it. I don't get the pampering attention and the little extra luxuries that come with Hilton Honors membership now that it has changed hands. However, I get what I need which is a clean, safe, well furnished room, pretty nice facilities, consistently good service and only a short walk to the terminal. Not bad really! Oh, and they will endorse your parking ticket - 3 days of parking cost me only $45 compared to the $150 odd it would have cost to have just driven, parked and gone to my plane. The saving almost paid for the room!

Room Tip: get a room well away from lifts as people arrive and leave at all hours and they will talk and make...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
GMPRMLA, General Manager at PARKROYAL Melbourne Airport, responded to this review, December 9, 2012
Dear Davred,
Thank you for taking time to share your experience following your recent stay.
As a return guest, we appreciate you choose to stay with us when you travel. I was pleased to hear you enjoyed our hotel facilities, comfortable room, convenient location, discounted car parking fees and the service our team provide. You will be pleased to note we do have our own loyalty program which we are happy to sign you up on your next stays.
Once again, thank you for sharing your experience and travel tips with your fellow travellers. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.
Hamilton, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

We arrived at Melbourne Airport in the evening and left early the next morning for a 5.30am check in, so didn't get to sample many of the hotel's services. However, we really appreciated the comfortable bed, luxurious bathrooom, peace and quiet, and abundance of power points to recharge our various devices. We had a fabulous view of the runway and beyond, but did not notice the airport noise at all - must be very good double glazing. The staff were welcoming and pleasant. The checkout was extremely fast. The hotel is within easy walking distance of the airport, just across the pedestrian airbridge, so very easy to find. It was lovely not having to bother with taxis. We left feeling refreshed and ready for another day of travel. Would definitely choose this option again when transiting through Melbourne.

Dear 22KiwiTraveller22,
Thank you for sharing you experience following your recent stay.
I was glad you enjoyed your stay with our convenient location, comfortable beds, nice and noiseless runway view room and the service our team provided.
We trust you had a good trip and look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

If your plan is to sleep somewhere overnight in transit this hotel is OK...however. Check in is very slow. There is no Concierge and only 2 staff at the most on check in. I waited 25 mins to check whilst a very friendly but completely non aware staff member spent 20 mins explaining a few facts to a guest with limited English. Nice but...the line of irate customers grew out of the lobby.

Bathrooms were mouldy and the hotel smelt of bleach.

Dear Wayne G,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience following your recent stay.
I was pleased to read you enjoyed our convenient location. However I was disappointed to hear your check in experience did not meet your expectation. Please accept my sincere apologies. Rest assured I have noted your comments regarding check in and bathroom concerns and have passed your feedback to our Front Office and Housekeeping Departments.
Once again, thank you for sharing your feedback and we trust we can welcome you back to the hotel in the future.
Agnes Water, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

The absolute plus is the location, a 2 minute walk to the terminals. The staff at reception were good, the room was ready and what was ordered. The restaurant staff were very good and the meal was ok, expensive, I opted just for an entree and that was enough, wine was over priced and our first selection was not available, but in our airport hotels experiences around the world it was good.

The room was sterile, void of any feeling. Bland decor, boring prints and not much else. The room was a good size, clean, beds comfortable and everything you need in the bathroom. Apart from the decor my big dislike was the interior noise. There is very little aircraft or vehicle noise which is great but the interrior noise was distrubing - doors closing, lifts dings, people in the corridor etc. needs better sound proofing. Overall would be happy to stay again, would request a room away from the lifts and preferably away from families with noisy children running over your head.

Room Tip: Higher the better if you want runway views.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Hotabbots,
Thank you for sharing your experience following your recent stay.
I was pleased to read you enjoyed our convenient location, nice runway view and the service our team provided. However I was disappointed to hear that some interior noises occurred to you during your stay. Please accept my sincere apologies. Rest assured we are happy to take request with a room away from the lift for any future stay.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.
Michael Johnson

Been to PARKROYAL Melbourne Airport? Share your experiences!