“A good restaurant in an airport hotel.....a miracle"” 4 of 5 stars
Review of PARKROYAL Melbourne Airport

You added PARKROYAL Melbourne Airport to your Saves list
PARKROYAL Melbourne Airport
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Arrival Drive, Melbourne Airport, Tullamarine, Victoria 3045, Australia   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Summer breakfast
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Tullamarine
Sydney, Australia
“A good restaurant in an airport hotel.....a miracle"”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2011

Yes rooms at the Parkroyal are expensive by Parkroyal standards but so is everything at Australia's privatised airports. Get yourself a junior suite and then eat dinner at the a la carte restaurant....I guess they must be Indian chefs because the naan was the best I have ever had...and there are some great Indian meals as well as european..the salmon is seriously good. Wine list is better than any airport restaurant with a lower than usual mark up.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (246)
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Aussie in Newcastle upon Tyne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2011

Hi

booked this a few months back as the airport hilton. Was glad I googled for it online and found out that this was now Park Royal after being sold. Would have been nice to have been informed by this by selling website!

However, enjoyed the stay - straight outside the doors of the airport, friendly service, nice clean rooms and great breakfast. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with OctopusTravel

Hobart, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2011

Living in Hobart we often cannot get connecting flights after arriving from overseas and in this case have used the services of the Airport Hilton and now this month the Park Royal. This hotel is great for convenience but I am not sure we will stay here again.
It is definitely not as good as the Hilton - inferior products - used to be Crabtree and Evelyn and now it is no name. Maintenance issues seem to have arisen with a few broken items in our room. They also want an extra $55 for a fold out bed.
Our biggest issue though is the new blanket no smoking policy in the hotel. Now as a non smoker I hate it as much as the next person - but my husband does. There are obviously no balcony’s where he is usually sent. We used to suffer for one night with a smoking room . On our recent stay he had to go to the car park or out the front of the hotel. Not acceptable - surely given the distance and multiple lifts to do so they could designate an area for those who need a nicotine hit. This will stop us from staying again
I had booked our room when it was a Hilton and I think I paid too much for the Park Royal and there was no offer for compensation. Breakfast of course was extra and no free wifi.

Room Tip: Ask for one away from the lifts
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Melbourne
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2011

I stayed one night so I'd not have a morning rush to the airport for an international flight.
And they have to be charging heaps for that convenience because what you pay isn't worth it for the hotel itself.
I paid $203 for the room and breakfast was extra on top of that. The cheaper hotels that I'm used to can do better than that for value.
Then there was the credit card gymnastics of charging then refunding to get free wi-fi in the bar only, not in my room. 'Really' cheap accommodation can do 'much' better than that.
The room was fine but bland - clean and spacious, and amazingly quiet.
If it makes life easier to be at the airport the night before an early flight and you're prepared to pay through the nose for that convenience then this is a good place to stay.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
GMPRMLA, General Manager at PARKROYAL Melbourne Airport, responded to this review, July 4, 2011
Dear MobileEm,
Thank you for your valued feedback on your recent stay with us and was disappointed to hear that you felt you did not receive value for what you paid for on this occasion, but was pleased that you enjoyed a clean, spacious and quiet room.
I am glad you managed to access your internet access for free wi-fi, which we offer to our GHA Discovery members and apologies for the charging and refunding that occurred on this occasion to access the internet.
Wishing you all the best for your future travels and we do hope that we will be able to welcome you back at some stage.
Kind regards
David J Travers
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2011

Check in was quick and efficient. I was asked if I would like to join the frequent guest program which I duly signed up for. I was travelling with a colleague and we had a room with two double beds (which was very functional, and clean).

We had dinner at the hotel, we felt that the prices were a little on the high side, but really, we didn't have much of a choice. The food was fresh and was served quickly. Up to this point, the only gripe I had was the cost of the room and food (but you come to expect this in airport hotels.)

I had to go upstairs to fetch something, went into the room, collected what I had to collect and then headed back downstairs. This is where the problem started, I got into the lift, and pressed 4 for the reception and the bar where my friend was waiting for me. The lift doors closed and it didn't move.. I pressed another floor, and again the lift didn't move.

I hate small spaces, and at this point pressed the alarm bell for 5 seconds, where I was connected to the hotel's front desk. I was asked which lift I was in (which I couldn't remember!!) But i suggested they look at the lift in the lobby, which they did. They told me to hold onto the line, but it cut off.

I called back, via the alarm bell, and was told..."the lift technician is on his way, sorry there is nothing we can do" She then advised me that the hotel manager was on his way up to level 9 to see if he could do anything.

I got a bit of a panic happening, and after a few mins (which felt like a lifetime) i decided if I could open the doors myself. After putting in a huge amount of effort, I was able to open the lift doors (they had to be forced open whilst I got out of the lift)

The hotel manager and a assistant was there to greet me. I was told to sit down and await for a glass of water (which was very welcome at that point) However it just went downhill after that. I made my way down to the bar, where I was offered a "complimentary" drink. I was just dumped by hotel management, and when I came to leave the bar, I was told that the drink would be charged to my room.

I couldn't be bothered arguing about it being a free drink, but at the end of the day, after I had left the lift, the management couldn't give two rats about how I was feeling, and I felt rather disappointed at the way the whole situation had been handled.

Really I'd only stay here again because it's close to the terminal, there is no other reason why anyone would want to stay in such a badly run hotel.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Dear Jakin4,
Thank you for sharing your feedback and experience with us.
I was disappointed to hear that our team did not meet or exceed your expectations on your recent stay, especially after you had become stuck in one of our lifts. Please accept my sincere apologies for the interactions that left you with the feeling that you were not looked after,as it is certainly not indicative of the high standards that we strive to achieve at the Parkroyal Melbourne Airport. Please be assured that I have followed your feedback up with our relevant Department managers to ensure occurrences in how we handle situations do not happen in the future.
If I can be of further assistance to you or you would like to discuss your situation further, please do not hesitate to contact me through the email or hotel telephone number (03) 8347 2000, enquiry.prmla@parkroyalhotels.com
I would like to thankyou for your valued feedback and look forward to the opportunity to discuss this further with you or welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.
Kind regards
David J Travers
Mudjimba, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2011

I have stayed numerous times as the Hilton & loved it! Service, etc was always brilliant. This time as Parkroyal my room key had to be keyed each day. It was embarrassing not to be able to get into the lift, let alone my room!
Never had this problem with the Hilton chain.

TO ME IT IS A BACKWARD STEP AS PARKROYAL!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2011

Had a fantastic time spending a few days visiting friends and enjoying the cultural delights of Melbourne while also enjoying the haven of the Parkroyal Melbourne Airport.

Having travelled many times to Melbourne for business and pleasure, we naturally thought of choosing a city hotel for our getaway, but a few friends had suggested we try the new Parkroyal Airport, so we took the chance , and we were not disappointed.

Staff at the hotel from start to finish were always polite, professional and helpful.
Our room was clean, comfy, large and extremely well equipped, and we were lucky enough to get a room with a view of the airport, which if available we would highly recommend.

On our first night after arriving late we decided to dine in the hotel restuarant, and what a supprise, the choice and the quality of the food was outstanding, so to the service considering how busy they were, so compliments to the Chef and his team.

The location was also a supprise, so close to the suburbs our friends reside, and we when we learnt how close we were to the Craiglee vinyard, we could not resist a quick visit, but of more of a supprise was just how quick and easy it was for us to travel back and forth from the city.

We are so glad we discovered this place and will certainly return.

Room Tip: ask for a room with view of airport
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to PARKROYAL Melbourne Airport? Share your experiences!