“Close but not too close” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Mantra Tullamarine Hotel

You added Mantra Tullamarine Hotel to your Saves list
Mantra Tullamarine Hotel
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2 Trade Park Drive | Tullamarine Airport, Tullamarine, Victoria 3043, Australia   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Park Stay Fly
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Tullamarine
Phillip Island, Australia
“Close but not too close”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

Great place to stay if you need to be near Tulla airport - very little noise etc. Reception staff very helpful. On site car parking could be improved by having more spaces available. Room very pleasant.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Rob E, General Manager at Mantra Tullamarine Hotel, responded to this review, March 31, 2013
Dear 'Roslyn P52'

Thankyou for your recent review of Mantra Tullamarine Hotel

I am pleased that you had a great stay with us, and found the hotel ideally located 'close but not too close' to hear any off the airport noise you usually get with Airport hotels !

Thankyou for your comments of the guest room

I look forward to welcoming you back soon

Rob Everett

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Caloundra, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for business trip and just one night. The television in the room did not work and the phone did not work. There was a phone by the bed that did work but after waiting more than half an hour to get them to fix the television I decided to go to reception and they had forgotten about me. They weren't busy so no excuse They finally moved me to a new room. I booked the room on line and included breakfast in the package and despite having the receipt they told me breakfast was not included. I did eventually have an included breakfast but the service was appalling. Well you could not even call it service. When I checked out they tried to double charge me for parking. When I queried it they snapped at me and told me the additonal charge was for fees. When I pointed out the charge on the receipt they finally agreed the charge was double and I requested it be reversed. Well you would have thought I had asked them to fly to the moon. What an effort. Overall not impressed and now that is twice and that is enough. Not again.

• Stayed March 2013
Dear RNMills'

Thankyou for taking the time to review Mantra Tullamarine Hotel

I am very disapointed that your stay with us was far from what i would expect any of my guests to experience - please accept my sincere apologies !

I would love to discuss these issues directly with you, I will contact you seperately to review.

I can assure you that it will never be the intention of this hotel to overcharge or double charge for anything - I am sorry that this was the case for your parking.

Once again, please accept my apologies

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

I booked into Mantra near the Melbourne airport just to spend the night since I had to catch a domestic flight next day. I got a good deal through the booking site 'Agoda" and used the hotel shuttle service to reach the hotel from the Airport.
Reception was friendly and the room was very clean, spacious and the toilets were great. Hardly any disturbance from the traffic and had a good sleep too. Buffet breakfast was OK but could have been better.
Check in and checkout were very quick and smooth.only concern was that the front desk at the time of check in said my booking included breakfast as well which was contradicted by the morning staff.

Dear 'amu2'

Thankyou for taking the time to review Mantra Tullamarine Hotel.

I am very pleased that you found the hotel to your liking and had a great overnight stay.

I am sorry that there was a communication error with your breakfast package, but pleased it was resolved in the end.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel

Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

My husband & I stayed at the Mantra Tullamarine on 9th March 2013 in what is known as a Deluxe Room, numbered 530.
***The Room***
When we reviewed their website prior to booking, we did receive great assistance via their on line "Live Chat" Accomodation Specialist. Our room was made out in what can best be described as standard, albeit pleasant, attractive 'modern' decor & fittings in regards bedding, furniture, tv & the minibar. It did have great artwork, & a very lovely bathroom which included a bath come spa. The room was very very clean & did have an inroom safe which was wonderful.
*** Pool / Spa ***
As to the common area pool & spa, whilst it has great views, the water was extremely dirty, [you could not see the bottom of the pool] - & there was some type of crusty build up on the tiles around the water line. We left the area feeling as if we had a slimy film over our skin.
***Dinner & Room Service / Staff ***
The experience was overall disappointing. Foodwise, my husband [whom is a qualified chef] described the 'Three Little Pigs' dish as really tasty & enjoyable. My crispy chicken burger was rather tasteless & overcooked, however the salad & hot chips were lovely. As to the staff, whilst not outrightly rude they appeared surly, uninterested, non communicative, disengaged, non responsive, barely bothered, with the only effort made being when they handed us our plates! At dinner we also inquired as to their advertisement "Coffee & Muffin to go for $5.00" only to be refused them, being told that "that's only daytime" - even though no such time limit appears on the advert.
Later that night we called Room Service & requested coffees as per the In Room Menu. The time of the request was well within their hours of operation. We were told that we could not have any service as "the bar had closed early as it was a quiet night & the coffee machine already cleaned & packed up". Upon inquiring at Reception, a young lady replied that she would have the coffees made & delivered. Not 2 minutes later we get a phone call advising us that we would not be getting the drinks at all & that "they were closed." I respectfully pointed out that (a) the request was well in line with the room service hours as listed, & (b) were for coffees that clearly are listed on the in room menu. The caller rudley advised that "Room Service NEVER includes beverages -Room Service is ONLY ever for food". He had no answer as to why there was a whole section in the room service menu for beverages if indeed this was the case. We never did receive our coffees!!
-In fairness, we were offered complimentary coffee the next morning by the desk clerk as a result of what happened, however the young lady whom served us at tha bar appeared rude, abbrasive, & took stale muffins from the breakfast bar rather than source them fresh from the kitchen. As for the coffees, they were terrible.
***Lack of Service***
The Concierge desk was not attended once during our stay as far as we could see. There is no staff or doorperson apparently allocated to the Lobby / Foyer either as no one offered to attend to our bags upon arrival, or departure, & traffic at the entrance is unchecked creating a safety hazard as well as delaying our visit due to 'traffic snarl'.
***Parking*** Be careful with the hotel parking system. They charge $20.00 per night which is considerably high as is. The hotel itself however has only a very small area allocated for guests up on Level 4 behind a 2nd set of boom gates. If you enter the parking facility & get to this space & find it full, then you are stuck having to pay the United Parking Facilites current parking rates instead - and that is potentially a small fortune. Plus once in the allocated spaces you cannot come & go with your car during your stay as the $20.00 allows for only for one entry & one exit. A lost ticket will incur a replacement fee of $200.00!!

Overall Summary: I have attempted to be extremely balanced in this review. The room was very clean & attractive. We enjoyed the overall style of the decor, & the pool area does have great views. We found the cost of the room at $119.00 reasonable, although it did not include breakfast.
However the service was terrible. Lack of staff, with those present appearing rude, unpleasant, uninterested, sadly from the on site check in staff right through to the 'room service' personnel. Meals can be hit or miss & parking is expensive. We requested & were subsequently informed at check in that we did in fact have a room allocated to us with a balcony, only to find there wasn't one. Upon inquiring we were told ("you have to request it !!) - & around it went. The pool & spa were also dirty as described.

If needing a hotel to be specifically near the airport then we are more than happy to recommend. However for a lovely weekend away, we would probably look for somewhere else. Hope that this is helpful.

Room Tip: Investigate thoroughly the various differences between the classes of rooms so as to be sure as to w...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear 'Beck and Steven X'

Thankyou for taking the time to review Mantra Tullamarine Hotel.

I am pleased that you found the hotel to be suitable for your requirements.

I note your comments regarding the pool cleanliness. The hotel follows very strict guidliness on pool cleanliness and maintenance schedules, so I have immediately followed this issue up with our Maintenance team for investigation.

Please accept my apologies regarding your dining and room service experience's during your stay. We have recently hired some great new team members in our food & beverage department. We will continue to ensure that we are working on our customer service training & menu offerings. However your review will be read by our team members & we will get better in this space.

I was aware at the time of your stay that my team had spoken directly with you and resolved some of these issues. I am sorry that your overall impression of the hotel was dissapointed.

I would be more than happy to discuss these issues with you directly & show you that we can get it right.

Once again, thankyou for your feedback - it helps us get better

Canberra, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

I recently stayed at the Mantra for 2 nights for a business trip that we arranged. We had a 2 day meeting for approx 30 guests from around Australia. The staff were amazingly helpful on all levels and we couldn't really fault the venue. The conference rooms were great, the meals were delicious and the staff were all helpful and friendly - nothing was too much trouble. The bedrooms were nice. They were small but well furnished to maximise the space with simple modern designs. The bed was really comfortable and the shower was lovely! I found it very quiet at night which is always a bonus! I couldn't fault the room service - massive portions that were hot and delicious! The dining room is also nice because it is very open and spacious.

Dear 'Seq100'

Thankyou for taking the time to write about your recent stay at Mantra Tullamarine Hotel.

I am pleased that you had the opportunity to stay for 2 nights and really experience all that the hotel has to offer, including our great conference room facilities.

Thnakyou for your comments on our beds - they are popular and well received, and you are right - our guest room showers are fantastic !

Once again, I really appreicate your comments & review - thanks again !

5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

We were of on holidays to Darwin, Yippeeee! or so we thought?
Our flight was turned around just short of Darwin due to an electrical malfunction and we headed back to Melbourne. When we arrived back in Melbourne approximately 2.30am we were exhausted. we were then put on a shuttle bus and shipped off for a quick sleep somewhere.
We arrived at the MANTRA in Tullamarine, and the staff were brilliant! they made what had been a very, very long day into a less stressful, easy stay.
We had a gorgeous room, which they upgraded us to when they saw we had a 12 yr old son, and they organised a spare bed to be brought up etc, so we could make the lounge into his own bedroom to ensure we all had a restful sleep. Brekky was full on and delicious. We then headed back to the airport for a second try to get to Darwin, which we finally did, all beit a day offf our holidays. Thank you to the staff at the MANTRA though as they made it all much more bearable.

Room Tip: The spa suite was beautifully clean and well equipped. Would highly reccomend.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear 'Carolyn N Neil R'

Thankyou for your review on Mantra Tullamarine during your recent (& unplanned) stopover

I am very pleased that you enjoyed your brief stay, and found the hotel team 'brilliant' and helpful

I know at 2.30am in the morning, you dont need any additional hassles, so I am very pleased that we were able to get you and your family settled - and straight off to bed

Once again, thankyou for your kind remarks

Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

Well worth considering, if you need a Hotel close to Melbourne airport. A quick phone call, and the free shuttle was there to pick us up within ten minutes.Check in was friendly and efficient, the room spotless and modern. Included in our tariff was a full buffet breakfast, with a good selection of cereals and hot dishes.Restaurant area light and bright, with friendly staff.Simple checkout procedure, and we were soon on our way to the airport in the free shuttle.It all came together well, and made our stay very enjoyable.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Rob E, General Manager at Mantra Tullamarine Hotel, responded to this review, March 17, 2013
Dear 'robbie c'

Thankyou for writing about your recent stay at Mantra Tullamarine Hotel.

I am very pleased that you found the hotel to your liking ! We are a great option for those visiting Melbourne Airport - and very quick & convenient

Thankyou for your comments on the hotel team and check-out process. We have been working very hard recently on ensuring that the guest experience is not only great, but also simple to understand. Staying with us, as a guest, should be easy - so I am very pleased you noticed this - thankyou

I really look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly next time you book, so I can ensure we look after you well.

Rob Everett

Been to Mantra Tullamarine Hotel? Share your experiences!