“Luxury in the wilderness” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Lemonthyme Lodge

You added Lemonthyme Lodge to your Saves list
Lemonthyme Lodge
4.0 of 5 Lodge   |   770 Dolcoath Rd | off Cradle Mountain Road, Moina, Tasmania 7306, Australia   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Tasmania
“Luxury in the wilderness”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

First impressions are a bit daunting because the lodge is at the end of an 8km single-lane gravel road, but it's worth the drive.

You certainly don't want to be driving this road in darkness so plan to arrive in daylight. And eat in their excellent restaurant, rather than trying to drive out to Cradle Mountain or Sheffield or wherever in the hope that you'll find somewhere else to eat.

We stayed in one of the spa suites and it was very grand. They also have more ordinary motel-style rooms and a group lodge area.

In summer this would be the ideal location as it has a big network of walking trails and overlooks one of the hydro-electric dams. It';s a great place to get away from the world and spend more than one day near Cradle Mountain.

Room Tip: Go for a spa room or suite.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Tasmania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

I visited the lodge for the first time last weekend and it was a good experience. The lodge is situated in a secluded spot just outside of Moina along a gravel road.
Moina is near Sheffield in NW Tas.
I stayed in the Lodge as it was more economical. If staying in the lodge 'Goshawk' is probably the quieter room, as some rooms are closer to the dining area. The rate included a wonderful cereal & hot buffet breakfast. You can also have dinner in the restaurant with open log fire, although there are no 'cheap' meals. They do have cheaper priced lunches. Most guests were staying in the spa cabins dotted around the lodge.
There are several walks ranging from 30 minutes to a few hours starting from near the lodge. I managed to spot a Dusky Robin, Kookaburra and a few wallabies on my short walk.
It's a pity they do not provide a more economical accommodation alternative.
Having said that I would recommend a visit.

• Stayed August 2012
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012 via mobile

We spent a very relaxing night in Sunrise Cottage after coming off the ferry and spending the day at Cradle Mountain. The fire was on when we opened the room and there was more than enough space our two children and ourselves. We had stocked up on supplies at Sheffield but given the fantastic breakfast that was provided, I'm sure dinner at the restaurant would have been great. Our only suggestion? Maybe an update of the DVD collection? Minor really. Many thanks!!

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Canberra, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

What a great place, peace and quiet, no mobile phone and no tv! I could stay there forever, Tree Top cabin was just perfect in every way. Some beautiful walks in the area, I loved every minute of our stay at Lemonthyme Lodge and hope to be back one day. Staff were helpful.I must say though that the staff I dealt with felt like they were just 'going through the motions a bit' which was a little dissapointing. This was the only detraction from what was otherwise a very memorable experience

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
hobart
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

Our group of 6 really enjoyed the Lodge. Four of us chose Lodge rooms, while one couple selected a cabin. I have to say the cabins are definitely superior, and worth the extra. You have space to sit there and meditate on the view. Since it was mid winter, we were practically the only guests, so the lodge was quiet, but I imagine that those upstairs Lodge rooms are very noisy when the place is busy. But to be fair, the management does warn you about that fact. The walks are beautiful, and the walk to Champagne Falls well worth the muddy slide down the hill. We had chosen the midwinter special, with two course dinners, breakfast, champagne etc included. The dinner menu was quite extensive, and overall, the meals were great. My cheese souffle was exceptional, and the lamb wonderfully tender and aromatic with herbs.The others enjoyed their grilled trevally and potato and bacon soup. Our young waitress was charming, efficient, and nothing was too much trouble for her.

Room Tip: Unless you go in the depths of winter, choose a cabin.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Burnie, Tasmania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

We visited Lemonthyme for the fourth time last weekend. The weather was dreadful, with pouring rain. The road is in good condition and passable for even the lowest of vehicles. The warm welcome from the staff was just as good as ever, as was the welcoming fire in our room.

It rained for most of the time we were there but it was an absolute pleasure to sit by the roaring log fire in the bar and read. An added bonus is the absence of television.

The food was of a high standard, the menu is not extensive but sufficient for most ordinary mortals. The staff were as usual friendly and helpful. Once again we can only recommend Lemonthyme Lodge as a wonderful place for a quiet getaway. We have visited for our 49th and 50th wedding anniversaries, this occasion was for my 70th birthday.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012

My mother and I enjoyed a lovely 2 night stay at Lemonthyme during January. We each had a spa treetop cabin which was fabulous. The 8km dirt road drive in was a little daunting but you get use to it.
Lemonthyme is in a perfect position to explore the Cradle Mountain area, which I did for 1 day, whilst my mother stayed at the lodge, enjoying the peace and quiet, and relaxing.
The meals at Lemonthyme were reasonably priced in my opinion, and they looked after my gluten free diet, including the chef baking his own gluten free bread. I was even able to purchase a lunch pack to take with me for my walks in Cradle Mountain National Park.
I plan on heading back to Cradle Mountain next year, and will absolutely return to Lemonthyme.
Oh, and the bed was sooooo comfortable.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family

Been to Lemonthyme Lodge? Share your experiences!