I waited till I had gone off the boil before I wrote this review. Give it the benefit of hindsight, I thought! But really, you deserve better ... choose somewhere else.
One of the reasons that I delayed writing my review was because the desk & restaurant staff tried so hard ... but this was a nightmare ... the holiday you don't want to have. Really, by the end, I suggested that the staff just wear badges that said "I'm sorry" to save them time. And as good as the staff were, the management level was useless.
Perhaps our problem was that we stayed 6 nights so the problems were very apparent. if you only stay a couple of nights you might just think it is a mis-step, a passing glitch, an unforeseen problem. But if you are stuck there for 6 nights, it is like a recurring nightmare.
On our first morning we woke up to fine we had no water at all. None. So no flushing, no coffee, no cleaning. We went out for the day and returned at 3 in the afternoon to find buckets of effluent still sitting outside rooms. Water was back on that afternoon but cold water only.
During our 6 nights we only managed to have hot water for showers twice. Twice! Not because others had used up the hot water but because there was none. None.
Meals were mainly fine but very inconsistent. And there is no choice in American River. If you don't eat there you will need to watch out for roos when driving (to Kingscote or Penneshaw) elsewhere for a meal. I notice that the Accor site now shows that a breakfast discount is not part of the Advantage Plus, but it was when we were there but they refused to honour it until I made a fuss.
Before our stay I had emailed to ask for a room that was accessible without stairs as my husband has mobility issues. According to the manger we were given an upgraded room (torn curtain and dingy bathroom) .... right above the rooms that were being renovated. So far from being relaxing, it was necessary to get away during the day to avoid the builder's boombox and noise. The strategy recommended by his doctor is for my husband to rest each afternoon. We would go out for the day and return at around 3pm ... to find each time that our room had not been made up. It seems that they make up the rooms that are getting new guests. During our stay our bed was made twice (I don't mean the sheets changed but the room actually cleaned and the bed made)
Accor have been good about acknowledging the problems. Not so much the manager who saw the above as "inconvenience".
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Kangaroo Island, one of Australia's great wilderness destinations, is best known for its magnificent coastal views, unique landscapes, uncrowded beaches and fascinating wildlife, including kangaroos, wallabies, koalas, Australian sea-lions, New Zealand fur seals and Little penguins. Kangaroo Island is a place of natural beauty and a place to escape. The Kangaroo Island Lodge is situated on the banks of Eastern Cove in American River, with all rooms perfectly perched offering exceptional water views over the bay. Amid lush coastal vegetation, the Kangaroo Island Lodge blends in with its natural surroundings. There is no better place to unwind and to enjoy the peace and tranquility. The seclusion of this area allows for the abundance of wildlife to roam free. Tammar wallabies, brush tailed possums, black swans, Cape Barren geese, Australian pelicans and the rare and endangered glossy black cockatoos can all be found in here. The outer bay of Eastern Cove offers excellent sailing and fishing in protected waters. The Kangaroo Island oyster industry is also located in American River, with the Oyster Shed located just down the road from the Kangaroo Island Lodge. If you are a keen walker, there are two main walking tracks, the Independence Trail and the Fish Cannery walk. Both walks meander through the natural coastal scrub where numerous species of wildlife and birdlife can be seen. So why not come and escape to the Kangaroo Island Lodge? ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Tingo, BookingOdigeoWL, Despegar.com, Venere and Agoda so you can book your Mercure Kangaroo Island Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel All Seasons Kangaroo Island American River
- Kangaroo Island Hotel
- Kangaroo Island American River
- Mercure Kangaroo Island Lodge American River