“Fantastic location and rooms - restaurant lets it down” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Spicers Hidden Vale

Save Saved
You added Spicers Hidden Vale to your Saves list
Spicers Hidden Vale
4.0 of 5 Lodge   |   617 Mount Mort Road, Grandchester, Ipswich, Queensland 4340, Australia   |
Hotel deals
Singapore
“Fantastic location and rooms - restaurant lets it down”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

Magical location...if you want somewhere to relax and unwind, I can think of few better places. The cottage rooms were wonderful, and the early morning vista from the veranda inspiring. Service levels on reception were impeccable. The restaurant, however, could have been better. The food was OK, but for this quality of establishment and the prices charged - especially when it is the only dining option within miles (!) - should have been better, and the variety should have been greater. Waiting staff were also poorly trained. Breakfast was the best meal of the day. Great, well signposted mountain bike trails around the hotel, although the available bikes would have benefited from being better maintained. Great kid's club and other facilities (although again little things like having cue chalk for the pool table were missed). Would I go again? Yes I would, although next time I would probably take some food and make use of the kitchen in the cottage for some of the meals.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
HiddenVale, General Manager at Spicers Hidden Vale, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Dear JohnS
Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback on TripAdvisor. Our guests' satisfaction is always our main focus and I am pleased that you found our reception team to have provided impeccable service.

Thank you for your honest review of your dining experience. I am very aware that we have experienced some issues recently in the restaurant team and are currently in the process of some intensive training and will also soon be welcoming a new restaurant manager to our team. We are currently revising our menu and have most certainly taken all feedback on board.

I am glad that your children enjoyed the school holidays kids club which always proves popular and that you enjoyed our mountain bike tracks. Based on your feedback, we have now implemented a weekly bike maintenance check, so we can rest assured that all of our bikes are in excellent condition for each guest.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Spicers Hidden Vale in the near future and if you would like to speak to me further regarding your last visit, I would welcome you contacting me directly.

158 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Cairns, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

Our party of three did not stay at the at the property, but we went there for lunch. Despite good, attentive service, the meals were quite a let-down : my steak was nothing special, the pepper sauce came in this minescule jug (by the way, where was the pepper?), and the salad served was in such a tiny portion as to be a bit offensive in view of the price charged. Another meal had little on it as well, and the third meal was not listed in the menu as a cold dish, with the diner disappointed expecting to receive something hot to eat. Such a lovely "olde worlde" resort, in a magnificent setting; if our experience was the norm, then the food side of the establishment does not match everything else.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Dear DianneMuriel,

Thank you for your recent review on TripAdvisor. I appreciate you taking the time to post your constructive feedback.

Firstly I sincerely apologise that the meals you experienced during your stay did not live up to your expectations. Based on guest feedback, such as yours, we are seriously reviewing our restaurant offering.

I am pleased to inform you that we have revised our menu and, in particular, the way we serve the steak dish you experienced has been changed substantially. We are also retraining our wait and kitchen team, with a focus on raising standards to our usual five star level.

I would be delighted to welcome you back and would appreciate if you could contact me personally before your next visit.

Thank you too for our lovely comments regarding the Homestead and the setting. We certainly appreciate the location and are pleased you did too.

Surfers Paradise, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013 via mobile

What a wonderful place. It was the most lovely decor, comfortable yet grand old country house. The reception lady was so welcoming. We stayed in a Heritage Suite which was a stand alone cottage. It had a toile theme with a four poster bed. It was spotlessly clean - even the verandah was cobweb free in the middle of the country! The facilities are extensive and immaculate and there are many walks and mountain bike tracks on the property. Breakfast was a combination of cold buffet and hot cooked to order. There was a great choice and the hot option was delicious. A little niggle was being charged for a coffee. The included coffee is a sachet of instant with a hot water urn . Really? In a hotel like this?
So why have I marked it down? The restaurant 'Cottons' was such a disappointment. My Husband had steak which was perfectly cooked but the sauce was terrible and the salad average and 'heart of the lettuce' and so white and tasteless. On the plate was simply the steak and a small jug of sauce. I don't know what the pictures depict with fancy presentation! The sides were separate and as I say small and tasteless. My risotto was more savoury rice pudding, no bite and heavily laced with mint which was not stated on the menu. It was barely warm, tepid really. I did not send it back as we were already in the process of getting drinks changed which had been wrongly served. The side of shoestring fries were like cold maccas fries. Dessert was tarte tatin. The pastry was fine but piled on top was what I can only describe as baby food. A pile of brown apple purée. Should have been a beautiful pattern of thin slices. Service was lacking. Wrong drinks, a wait of forever for the bill- in the end we went to the bar for it. we were not ordered coffee and the ladies at the next table asked what the fish of the day was and the waitress didn't know!!? When they complained at the end of the meal that the steak hadn't been eaten as it was not 'blue' as ordered the waitress simply said 'oh' and cleared the table...
The restaurant can't be bad as it has rave reviews and breakfast was lovely, I can only assume we went on an 'off' day or chefs night off! However, still a disappointment considering the perfection of the rest of the hotel.

• Stayed April 2013
HiddenVale, General Manager at Spicers Hidden Vale, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Dear TeamBAus

Many thanks for your recent review on Trip advisor. We welcome our guest’s feedback and always share it with our Team.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed our beautiful Heritage Cottages and the property setting. I will certainly pass on your compliments to our Housekeeping Team on their immaculate presentation.

Your review of the Restaurant certainly drew concern with me. Regarding firstly the breakfast, I am pleased that you enjoyed breakfast and the hot and cold options available. I can confirm that we have 2 types of coffee available for breakfast, one being the complimentary ground coffee filter option included in our breakfast price and the other being the ‘to order’ option prepared by the barista.

Your feedback surrounding your dinner in the restaurant were concerning and I have since met with the Chef to discuss the issues including the risotto and we have also removed the Tarte Tatin from the menu. We discovered that some of our equipment was not operating optimally that night, hence the below-par fries. We have taken your comments regarding the steak accompaniments onboard as well.

I have personally implemented some extra training for our Waiters, which has produced good results. I would like to thank you for recognising that it was an ‘off’ night in the restaurant although we do endeavour to ensure every night in the restaurant is wonderful, and we apologise that your experience was not of the quality standard that we continually strive for.
Thank you again for your feedback TeamBAus, and I would be pleased if you felt able to contact me in order to book your next stay so that I may personally look after your reservation.

Spicers Hiddenvale
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

We went for my birthday and had an amazing time. We got an upgrade to the Wagyu cottage which was unexpected and lovely. The rooms were very nice and ours opened onto a large verandah with spectacular views. The main lounge in the cottage was complete with fireplace and a mini library of assorted novels...a nice touch. The dinner at Cottons Restaurant was divine. As they claim, the produce was fresh and the meals were exceptional. The quail Kiev entree was beautiful and I was amazed that each meal just got better and better. My main was organic chicken with cous cous cherry tomatoes and green beans with pine nuts. The chicken portion was very generous and the flavours fabulous. Dessert was panne cotta with meringue and strawberries and homemade ice cream. The panne cotta was out of this world. After dinner our waitress drove us to our cottage in the golf buggy. Breakfast was lovely too. After breakfast we went for a horse ride with our guide Brett and this was fabulous. We capped our trip off with a Devonshire Tea on the veranda of the main building and listened to the live music they have for Sunday lunch. I must say that all of the staff were excellent and the service overall was superb.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear rebecca g

Thank you for taking the time to post your lovely review on Trip Advisor. We are so pleased that you thoroughly enjoyed your birthday at Spicers Hidden Vale! Our team was also delighted to hear your wonderful feedback regarding your dining experience in Cotton’s Restaurant, your horse trek with Brett, and the live Sunday jazz.

Thank you again for taking the time to post your review, and we look forward to welcoming you back to Spicers Hidden Vale again soon.

Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

We stayed for two nights (2 adults, 7 year old and 10 Month old). First night in a luxury suite. Great value and really lux. The next night was in the six bedroom cabin. It was like the tardis. Every room with an ensuite three couple six kids and room for all and spacious communal area. We were there for a special family birthday and the resort was very accommodating. Restaurant had a varied, quality menu and solid wine list. Looking forward to another stay (in winter to take advantage of fire places).

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Yorkshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013 via mobile

Great location, fantastic staff and great food.
I stayed for 3 days during a trip arond Queensland. Its off the beaten track but everything about it makes it worth the trip. If u can catch the sunrise its amazing and its worth getting up early to see the kangaroos and wildlife. There steaks are fantastic and the menu choic3s very good.

• Stayed November 2012
Seattle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

Simple accommodations, good food, attentive staff. We needed to relax so thought twice about booking the sunset 4-wheeling trip. It was just the two of us plus our guide Hayden. He really knows the property and made this a not to be missed part of our adventure.

The property has so much to do, hiking, archery, mountain biking, ping-pong or nothing at all beside one of two pools.

Each meal was done with care and the staff love to share stories of the area.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Spicers Hidden Vale? Share your experiences!