“Deservedly popular” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast
Bargara, Australia
“Deservedly popular”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

Always a very popular spot for weekend brunch, Salt has a great position on the waterfront in Bargara. Although yet to try the coffee during daytime, have had a couple of really nice meals early evening - first time the duck and second, a perfectly cooked rib-eye. Our most recent waitress was Lithuanian, which made for an interesting change. Faces stiff competition from Kacy's over the road - wins out for for a more laid back, intimate vibe, but loses out on rather limited menu. This was highlighted by my preferred starter choice of scallops and chorizo not being available on last visit, even though there was a scallop dish listed on mains. Reasonable drinks selection, but undoubtedly one of the best locations to dine on this stretch of coast.

• Visited November 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Bundaberg, Australia
“Love the view but.....”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

we have been making weekly trips to Salt at Bargara for coffee and a chat with friends for months. The view is great but the coffee and food you can leave, scones doughy, stingy on the cream and jam, coffee with half a cup of froth and not a great taste if they get the order right after 6 months of trying to make it work we will not return but we will miss the view.

Visited November 2013
Brisbane, Australia
“Good location, reasonably priced.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

My partner and I were visiting Bargara for the day and stopped here for a drink. He ordered a caramel latte which was nice, I ordered an iced chocolate which was terrible. No chocolate sauce in it, one scoop of ice cream, and very bland and watery.
The one waiter was quite attentive and friendly. The lunch menu was ok - burgers and fries, etc. We didn't end up ordering lunch as I was a bit turned off the bad iced choc. But overall, the location was good, with a view of the ocean. Would come back but wouldn't order the iced choc again.

• Visited November 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Noosa, Australia
“Could do with more attentive staff”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

I had a birthday lunch at Salt. Staff member who greeted us was lovely and cheerful ( a lovely english lady). Drinks took a while to arrive.
The meal was fine.. big prawns but nothing outstanding. The only staff member who seemed to be doing much work was the english lass who seemed to be worked off her feet.I noticed a couple of tables who were getting annoyed as their food and drinks were taking so long.

• Visited October 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Brisbane, Australia
“Not so great for vegetarians”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

My partner and I went to Salt for a romantic dinner because it was a full moon and we knew we'd see that over the ocean from the restaurant. The view was spectacular, and even on a very windy night the outside seating was sheltered by discrete clear plastic awnings. We were welcomed a little brusquely because we didn't have a reservation, and then told we wouldn't see the moon anyway from either of the two non-reserved tables (untrue). Once seated we ordered wine which was fabulous, and then came to the menu. Both my partner and I are vegetarian, but the only item on the dinner menu that was vegetarian looked far too rich for me. A mushroom pasta at $30. My partner ordered it and said it was more oily than creamy, and when I had a little taste I agreed it was chewy. I ended up ordering an entree in main size - a Pear, Baby Beetroot, Walnut and Fetta salad ($24) and it was delicious. Although of course the limited options mean we won't be going back because we'd both end up eating salad and that would be entirely unsatisfying for my partner.

The view was to die for, the wine and my meal were lovely, the young waitress was simply lovely, but the older female Maitre d' didn't make us feel welcomed, and when we asked about the fact that there had been heaps more vegetarian options the time we'd dined there at lunch, and whether it was possible for the chef to come up with something, she told us quite bluntly that they couldn't go to the 'bother' of that (when the restaurant was a quarter full at that point).

Lunch at this venue is great - lots of vegetarian options and friendly service. But dinner, not so good for vegetarians.

• Visited October 2013