“disappointing” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 15 Restaurants in Bargara
Cuisines: Australian
Good for: Romance
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: Kacy's Restaurant is located on Bargara Beach in the heart of town; our focus is on popular food Australians like to eat every day. All ingredients are prepared by hand using fresh Queensland produce where possible. Kacys’ has an extensive wine cellar with over 2500 bottles a great range of draught and bottle beer’s we take particular care in presenting great draught beer chilled to perfection. The location and ambience of Kacys has to be experienced as working here is a delight. We look forward too seeing you soon.
Australia
“disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

My husband proposed to me here many years ago, but our return was a disappointment.

The biggest issue with Kacy's is the extensive menu. There must be at least 60 dishes on the menu. we always worry with this much choice, because we believe that you cant possibly perfect that many dishes and have them prepared freshly.

On arrival we had to wait for our reserved table to be set, and needed to wait in the entry (we would have been happy to wait at the bar).

it was a moderately busy night. When seated we waited a further 15 mins before being asked for our drink order (maybe I'm picky, but I don't mind waiting in a restaurant, as long as i can enjoy a cold drink).

When our entrée arrived, it turned out my husband had received the wrong dish. We had ordered him the 'Spiced calamari with Asian salad', but the the kitchen had prepared the spicy calamari (similar name but quite different entrée - no salad), it took us a moment to realise the mistake, but then we decided it didn't matter, and just accepted the dish. The food itself was good, but not what he had ordered. my chilli prawns were good, not exceptional, but acceptable.

When our main arrived, my husbands medium-rare steak was more like med-well done. my eggplant stack was larger than I had expected (its an entree) but was a little lacking in flavour. Nobody came to ask how our meals were.

The staff were friendly, but at these prices I would expect more 'service'. at 9.45 we were told that if we wanted desserts, we would need to order them now. when we declined the waiter walked to the kitchen door and shouted that it was ok to pack up the kitchen. It felt like we were being kicked out...

We enjoy the lunch menu at Kacy's but this was our first, and likely last, evening meal at Kacy's.

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
kacys, Guest Relations Manager at Kacy's Restaurant, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
Dear AustraliaMaxie,

Kacy's regrets that we did not meet your expectations, especially when it was such a special occasion.
Freshness and consistent quality of our dishes is the exact reason for having such a large menu selection, the reasons being we have multiple choices for all ingredients that we prepare this ensures rapid turnover of all prepared food, that is labelled and dated by the chef that prepares the food.
Kacy's is without doubt unrivalled as far as eating out goes in the greater Bundaberg region so anyone reading this review come and try for yourself and make up your own mind.

Kind regards
Annabell Pia
Customer service manager

Cairns Australia
“Atmosphere but food and service average for the $$”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

Not too impressed with our food. A 30 mos aged eye fillet was both overcooked ( ordered medium rare), tasted like a pub steak and served with simple mash. My husbands lamb curry was bland and the lamb was not cooked in the curry suace and was nothing special. Assume due to the lack of seating without a reservation that maybe it is better than our experience but reading the recent reviews not so sure.

• Visited March 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
kacys, Public Relations Manager at Kacy's Restaurant, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Dear QueenParrotfish,

I regret to hear that you have encountered an experience, which did not satisfy your expectations of our service and quality.

We have a team of dedicated professional qualified chefs working in Kacys kitchen and every member of that team work incredibly hard to make consistent quality meals. All of our wait staff are asked to check on customer satisfaction of all meals after a short time and this is an opportune time to express your dissatisfaction so as to give our chefs a chance to present you with the standard that you are accustomed to.

Kacys chefs & wait staff cannot rectify any perceived wrongs after the event, just let us know at the time and our team will do our best to resolve the dissatisfaction.

Kind regards
Annabell Pia
Customer service manager
melbourne
“Not that special”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

The night we went it was fully booked. Unfortunately that led to quite poor service having to wait at least 20 mins before being approached by staff to order drinks. They then took another 15 mins to arrive. We then needed to request drinks once we had finished the first ones. The food was reasonable but not to the standard we expected given the menu pricing.

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Adelaide, Australia
“Good, but sadly not great.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

I reasonable place to eat with a varied menu but it wasn't consistent.

Breakfast was ok but over 4 days I was served with various qualities of the same dish, sausages went from mushy to dry as did the fried tomatoes. Note they dont serve breakfast on a Monday ? only thought pizza bars didn't open on Mondays !

Lunch, I did not attend but believe is only available 4-5 days per week, best to check.

Dinner, suggest you make reservations as they did appear busy on most nights, I had a few different dishes over 4 days and although the food was good, for the price it was not great value for money. Not saying it was bad but I was expecting a bit better, to clarify their prices are that of a high end establishment. I don't expect quantity but do expect quality and was paying approx $65 - $70 as a single for an entree, main, 1 beer and 1 coffee, you be the judge. Staff too are a mixed bag as some were very attentive and pleasant yet one seemed to convey that they were doing me a favour serving me. Strangely this same person had a totally different attitude the next morning when attending the check in counter ? Perhaps she was a bit overworked on the night before but when paying nearly $40 for a main you would expect the person serving it to at least place it down gently and acknowledge you, may of well just thrown it at me. Seems they have never heard of cracked pepper in this part of the world either, ordered a pasta dish and no offer of this, think there was a shaker but it wasn't appealing.

They appear to have a good selection of desserts but I did not have any, importantly I will say their coffee was very good.

The overal experience was good but staff should be a bit more personable and their food needs a bit more kick flavour wise, seemed a little on the safe (bland) side to me.

It is both a good place to eat when visiting and appeared there were many locals also attending. It is well located too as the beach is across the road which is a nice place to walk off your meal.

• Visited February 2013
Newcastle, Australia
“Poor service, average food, overpriced.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

I attended with a party of 8 people on a Monday night.
We booked well in advance and they even said to me while booking "7pm booking for 7.30pm food order?"

We had high expectation for the restaurant as we know others who rave about it.
The place itself was a gorgeous restaurant with very comfy chairs, but that's where the niceness ended on our visit.

Things that went wrong:
- Advised at 7.30 that they could not take our order as the kitchen was too busy. They would be back in 5 mins to take order.
- Did not come back to take further drinks orders while we waited.
- Finally took dinner order at 7.58pm and dinner arrived 40-45mins later.
- During that time other tables sat, ordered and got their food before us.
- Waitress forgot to take menus from table.
- They ran out of the beer we were drinking.
- Dinners were average for the price you pay.

On another note the menu is far too big - about 10-15 pages.
Pick what you're good at and stick to it.

• Visited February 2013