“Terrifying Time! Tree falling on us!” 1 of 5 stars

Eaglereach Wilderness Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   Summer hill Rd, Vacy, New South Wales 2421, Australia   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Vacy
Sydney, Australia
“Terrifying Time! Tree falling on us!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

This was my first time to Eaglereach and im afraid it will be my last. I will admit the lady who greeted us was friendly enough but out cabin was in poor condition. The cabin had dirty utensils, dirty spa bath and a TV that didn’t get a lot of reception. The DVD player worked but didn’t have a remote. The cabin had no blinds or curtains, which I found unusual even though we were somewhat secluded it was still very uncomfortable. There were high winds during our stay, which was quite scary on its own due to the cabin shaking and the load noise, but to top it off a huge branch the size of a tree fell onto our cabin. We decided to head to reception to seek possibly a different cabin which had more protection as we were right on the cliff face (Silkwood cabin), we got to reception at 5.40pm and nobody was in sight not even anyone at the restaurant as they were closed for the night. We then called the emergency number to only be told to just "batten down the hatches" which was an unacceptable response when you are paying good money for a nice time. My husband and I are made to wait in the fire rescue room for a couple of hours until the winds calm down, as it is to unsafe to leave. The next day the manager came to check there were "no dead bodies" or if we had "left last night". She did apologise and also apologised on behalf of the emergency contact admitting he dealt with it wrongly. This is all well and good but no compensation was made, they couldn’t even change cabins for us. I hardly slept on a back aching bed in that cabin for four nights and as it was obvious I wouldn’t get my money back if I left early I had no choice. In summary there was no real customer service or a relaxing stay and I paid good money for a terrible and upsetting expereince . You may get lucky with this place but if they haven’t trimmed the trees near your lodges which im sure is a required regulation you may have an unexpected guest and nobody will help you.

Room Tip: Dont let them book you into the silkwood lodge.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
HunterCooee, General Manager at Eaglereach Wilderness Resort, responded to this review, August 31, 2012
Sadly this is a very unbalanced review as the guests stayed the full four nights without requesting a lodge change or compensation. Yes there was a violent storm along the Eastern Seaboard of Australia on that Thursday the night they arrived. and yes a tree limb did fall on their lodge however following the service call our emergency service operator removed this within 20 minutes of the service call. Several days later the father of the male guests asked reception to call into the lodge and check as he had not heard from the couple since he received a reverse phonre call in the middlle of the storm and nothing since. Our duty manager found the couple still in bed asleep at midday and a large selection of alchol bottles on the lounge room coffee table also they never went to breakfast daily which is included in the tariff. The description of the lodge is inaccurate too as it has recently been renovated and the turbo spa is new and serviced twice weekly Yes the TV reception was far from perfect in the storm.These guests were in the wrong place there was so much to see and do in this wilderness resort which did not appeal to them.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Parramatta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

Yet again, our stay at Eaglereach has delivered a fantastic experience! Eaglereach offers a relaxing and indulgent break away at a surprisingly low cost for the quality of lodges and facilities supplied. My husband and I have been visiting Eaglereach since 2005 and at least 8 stays later, the shine has not worn off. If anything, we seek reasons to return more often. We've stayed in the Jindalee complex and in many of the lodges as a couple, with kids, with a group of friends, as part of a conference I hosted and on a girls weekend away. I love the fact that there's a restaurant onsite and also the opportunity to self-cater in the furnished lodges with full kitchens. The views from the lodges are amazing, as my photos will show, and the fact that kangaroos are everywhere and literally hop up to your front door gives guests the opportunity to get up close to the friendly wildlife. Take advantage of the activities if you can manage to drag yourself away from your personal outdoor hot tub or the warmth of your fireplace. There's so much to do without ever leaving the resort. We've caught yabbies and cooked them up in garlic butter on the BBQ, taken rainforest and cliff-side walks, put the outdoor gym to the test and relaxed for hours in the resort pool. The staff have always been fantastic and always happy to assist. Once, the temp on our spa wasn't working and within one hour it was fixed by maintenance and ready for a dip! Upon re-reading my review I feel it sounds like an ad but it's not, it's a genuine review by a genuine return customer who read a few negative comments left by other guests and wanted to reassure future guests that the resort is well worth visiting. I hope the pics will help convince you how great the place is!

Room Tip: Ensure to ask for a spa lodge!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
HunterCooee, General Manager at Eaglereach Wilderness Resort, responded to this review, September 4, 2012
Hi Stan 88 of Parramatta
You have given us a great wrap and after at least 8 visits everyone should agree you are well qualified to make such a judgement. What was really appreciated was you have stayed " as a couple , with kids , with a group of friends and as part of a conference " this has covered all bases of our appeal. and in accommodation varying from the Jindalee resort room complex to self contained lodges. I am glad you also mentioned the service you received when the spa needed an emergency service and this occurred within an hour. Thank you also for your positive comments about our staff they are totally committed. We look forward to welcoming you and your husband back.
Wodonga, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

Just spent 3 wonderful nights at Eaglereach in one of the most delightful lodges ~ Wanji II, which was surrounded by a magestic background provided by the natural beauty of bushland, wildlife and birdlife, not to mention the gorgeous scenic views from the balcony - oh my, what a sensational view tfor us to wake up to every morning - pure bliss!!

A huge thank you to Paul, Carmen, Emma and the rest of the Eaglereach team, who provided the most warm and welcome hospitality that anyone could wish for. A total escape to a paradise up in the mountains away from the busy day to day pressures of everyday life.....

We cannot wait for my return trip to Eaglereach!!

Room Tip: Wanji II was such a beautiful escape from the hustle and bustle of our busy day to day schedule - wo...
Hi Duncan from Wodonga
Thank you for covering the bases of your stay yes the luxury Wanji lodge is very special with the four poster bed and twin showers for that special occasion and views to the Pacific East coast. Plus you reached out for the natural attractions of the flora and fauna in its natural habitat.

Thank you also for your commendation of the team frankly its because we love being there meeting the guests and being of service so different to those unhosted establishments.
We look forward to welcoming you back.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

I booked a weekend away as a surprise for my g/f and it was a huge hit. The drive up to the resort from the road was long and i thought i had taken a wrong turn, but once we arrived at the resort it took both our breath away, from the view out the window, to the hopping kangaroos along the road side. It seemed like an age before we got to reception and when we arrived we were greeted with sparkling wine and a smiling face. Also, this is when my g/f found out about the massage i had booked for her the next morning, another win! We were then given a bottle of local sparkling and chocolates, a dinner voucher and told when breakfast was served, then we were pointed in the direction of our lodge, Silkwood. (the most private lodge) Again it was a 3 - 5 minute drive to our lodge from recption as this place is HUGE! But once we arrived and saw the view and the outdoor spa, we knew we were onto a winner. The lodge was older but spacious and very clean. We ate at the restaurant the first night and the food was a 3.5 out of 5 but very well priced. The 2nd night we took advantage of the hamper option (steak, sausages, bread and salad) and cooked at our lodge on the bbq and spent the night in front of the fire, (all firewood provided). I must say a highlight was sitting in the outdoor spa over looking the valley and watching the sunset or it could have been looking out the kitchen window seeing a kangaroo sitting there and then feeding him. We could not fault this place and would and have recommended this to friends already. We will be back in the warmer months to take advantage of their 4wd track and walking trails.

Room Tip: If you're on a couples weekend, request the Silkwood lodge.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
HunterCooee, General Manager at Eaglereach Wilderness Resort, responded to this review, August 15, 2012
Hi Matt J
Wow indeed your have covered every base of what we try to achieve and we are so delighted your surprise your for your g/f turned out to be such a success. Yes the road up looks daunting but we have never had a guest accident and because it is winds all the way the secret is to take it easy and enjoy the views. The size of the resort does amaze many one thousand acres in fact from moountaintop to rain forest and everyone can have their own special space. The spas do make it so very special especially when you are in the spa with a glass of bubbles and kangaroos and wallabys close by as interested spectators. We look forward to welcoming you back.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

We have just returned from another wonderful weekend at Eaglereach. We have had a weekend at Eaglereach every year for the past five years. Why do we keep coming back? We have always found the staff friendly and very helpful. The first year we went there was flooding in the valley and we had to take a detour ( in the pouring rain) .The staff directed us via mobile ( with bad reception) and waited for us to arrive to greet us with champagne. It was after 10.00pm by this stage.
We always stay at the Jindalee Lodge as its great value, rooms are clean and comfortable, the balcony is spacious with lovely views over the Hunter Valley and the fire in the lounge room creates a very cosy atmosphere. It took us awhile to get the fire going but worth the wait. The staff were only too happy to help. We spent most of our time walking and taking in the stunning views over the Patterson Valley, mingling with the wildlife or at the lagoon- which is a great place for a picnic. You can kayak there too.
At dusk we head for the spa, sip on some bubbly and once again take in the stunning view- which includes the local wild life. I could spend hours in the spa watching the beautiful sunsets and the kangaroos and joeys grazing around me. The restaurant food is quite good. Breakfast was a generous buffet-which we ate whilst watching two beautiful red and blue rosellas fly around us. For dinner we had the salt and pepper squid,which was delicious and the duck was also good. We had a wonderful relaxing weekend and look forward to our next visit.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are lighter and quieter
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
HunterCooee, General Manager at Eaglereach Wilderness Resort, responded to this review, August 9, 2012
This review from satisfied guests makes it all worthwhile to be in the tourrism industry the appreciation that they come back every year for five years and take advantage of the many attractions here both natural and man made. They appreciate the good value staying in the Jindalee Resort room complex with the huge spa wide verandahs recreation centre with pool table and wood fire. plus the great views. Like us they continue to appreciate the wildlife we continue to see new species in the variety of eco-systems from mountain top to rain forest and that is before you look sykward. The new bistro menu and finally the appreciation of the naturally friendly staff who genuinely want the guests to enjoy their stay speak well of their stay and come back another time.
Hunter Valley, NSW
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012 via mobile

I have stayed at Eaglereach three times now, once in a one bedroom spa lodge for my honeymoon, once in a larger lodge with a group of friends & this time in the Jindalee complex.

The first stay was top class, the second stay really good & we had a great weekend with the girls...this stay was a wee bit disappointing given previous wonderful experiences!

The room was nice, clean, big bathroom, nice shared facilities, shared spa freaked me out a bit as there were other people in the complex too & I didn't fancy sharing a spa with strangers! Mini bar has a nice selection & the prices are pretty standard for a mini bar (considering the remoteness of the resort they could probably get away with charging more).

Anyway, pretty much the only reason I gave them a less than perfect rating is the restaurant. On both previous occasions the food was a highlight & unbelievable! This time it was disappointing. Turns out that the restaurant has changed hands & the new owners aren't getting it right!

The dinner was average, nothing to recommend but nothing to really complain about, just uninspired & a bit bland. The breakfast was diabolical! A la carte breakfast is a big call for so many people & they did NOT pull it off! I felt so sorry for the front of house girls who were left high & dry by whoever made the decision to do a la carte instead of buffet (I'm in hospitality, I know how these things work, we do a la carte but we have 35 pairs of hands in deck to make it run smoothly!)...

Anyway, I think I've stayed in the three main levels of accommodation (luxury one bedroom spa lodge, great family or group lodge & the Jindalee complex) & I'm happy to recommend the accommodation but I do advise to try one of the local eateries...

Flying Duck Cafe in Vacy
Farmers Hotel Bistro in Vacy (vegan & gluten free alternatives)
Gus's Grub for great burgers in Gresford

The facilities "up top" are good & I recommend the day spa, bush walks, local wine tours, the local olive farm (Bunna Bunoo).

Also, the staff we encountered were sweet hearts. No issues with the service (aside from slow breakfast but the girls were handling themselves well & apologetic & helpful).

Oh, & I'm trying to put in my stay date but it keeps defaulting to December 2011???? I stayed May 2012...in the lovely crisp weather! Best time of year to stay up there!!!!!

• Stayed December 2011
HunterCooee, General Manager at Eaglereach Wilderness Resort, responded to this review, August 1, 2012
Hi Skyebrand from the Hunter Valley
Reading your review in full delivers a very positive result from your three visits. Certainly we have accommodation to suit all budgets and size of groups from one bedroom deluxe spa lodges to family lodges to a resort room where you last stayed. The latter is a lot of fun and the meticulious cleaned communial spa is as large as a plunge pool and often found in high profile properties. Being in the business you were critical of the kitchen producing a la carte for large numbers for breakfast all I can say is that senior apprentice was in his last week going beyond his brief and the breakfast is complementary. In future I can guarantee the buffet which wil be creative and changing daily. Yes the evening menu and wine list has changed from fine dining to bistro and the prices reflect this following guest surveys of what they wanted in f&b in a wilderness resort and what they expected to pay. We look forward to welcoming you back as a loyal Eaglereach guest
Albury, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

We're constantly amazed with the great welcome reception we get every time we arrive at Eaglereach. This our sixth trip in four years and the welcome reception provided by Paul, Carmen and Emma is just as special as the first time we stayed on the mountain. The glass of bubbles always sets the scene for our lovely romantic weekend away from the concrete jungle and hustle and bustle of city life. The wildlife, beautiful scenery, the cosy lodges and relaxed atmosphere is what Eaglereach is all about. What makes this place extra special are the international guests you get to chat to as you walk through the rain forrest or general walking trails and they say that they come here for the wonderful wildlife, as the kangaroos and the vast variety of birdlife, create a symphony of natural Australian beauty on your door step.

We would highly recommend Eaglreach for the perfect romantic getaway and make it a regular date twice a year.

Can't understand the incredibly negative comments that Jo H posted, and did they actually stay at the Eaglereach we know and love????

Room Tip: Every lodge offers an unique experience.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
HunterCooee, General Manager at Eaglereach Wilderness Resort, responded to this review, July 29, 2012
Hi Romantics 2010
Thankfully we enjoy a very high percentage of return guests like Romantics 2010 and yes we do greet them like old friends now.. This couple obviously appreciates the whole experience which is without question very different to a city hotel or beachside unit. What is a thrill when walking on the selection of trails from rain forest to mountain top to come across the variety of native wildlife which many guests had never seen before with the possible exception of in a zoo. The Romantics 2010 of this world are are best salespeople " word of mouth" rates number one here..

Been to Eaglereach Wilderness Resort? Share your experiences!