“Wonderful Week at Holladay House B&B” 5 of 5 stars

Private Wine Tour
Ranked #3 of 7 Orange B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Owasso, Oklahoma
“Wonderful Week at Holladay House B&B”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

Just complete a week long stay at this fantastic 1830 Bed & Breakfast in the historic district of Orange, Virginia. Only four miles from Montpelier, the home of James & Dolley Madison, it was the perfect location to tour the many vineyards and historic sites in this picturesque region. Sharon and Sam, the owners, made me feel like family. They contacted me several times before I arrived to ask if I had any special dietary needs or other requests. Sharon's breakfasts were amazing. Each one different all six days and made from scratch! I highly recommend the Holladay House to all travellers. I know I'll return.

Room Tip: I stayed on the upper floor in the Oak Room. Well appointed and quiet.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
hhbb_innkeeper, Owner at Holladay House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, May 14, 2014
We had a fantastic time hosting you for your week-long getaway - you WERE like family :D It's a treat for me to serve up a different, made-from-scratch breakfast each morning - so thank you :) When you return, I'd be happy to help you plan to visit more of the historic sites and wineries in the area. Till then!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Forest, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

My husband & I were celebrating our 4th wedding anniversary & wanted to go somewhere unique & quiet. The Holladay House was the PERFECT getaway! We stayed in the lovely Garden Room, which offers a private porch area, a spa jetted-soaking tub, & a beautiful walk-in shower for two. We booked a special package which included in-room massages, delicious chocolate cake & wine, & a bath indulgence (lotion, soaps, & champagne)! It was fabulous & provided that perfect touch for a relaxing weekend!
Sharon was the perfect hostess! She corresponded with my husband via email offering great recommendations for dinner/tours in the area & purchased our Montpelier wine festival tickets & booked our dinner reservations before we even arrived! She made everything so convenient & easy with the utmost hospitality! And her breakfast is a must! My husband has diet restrictions so she offered to make him a special breakfast to accommodate--what amazing service! Her french toast & buttermilk biscuits were to die for!
This was our first bed & breakfast experience & we were blown away! My husband & I will definitely be returning in the future for the charm, pure quaintness, & all that the Holladay House has to offer! Thanks again for everything, Sharon! --Missy & Stephen Anderson

Room Tip: The Garden Room is in the basement so it's very quiet & you have your own porch area! Very p...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
We are just as excited about your stay with us :) We know when parents with young kids get a chance to get away, they need a quiet, easily planned vacation - and we do everything we can to create that experience. We look forward to having you both return when you need that quiet romantic getaway for two :)
Clementon, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2014

The house is very inviting and beautifully decorated. We couldn't have asked for a better venue for our wedding! Sharon was very accommodating when we had to move the date. Her attention to detail is unsurpassed, from the flowers to setting up the parlor for the ceremony to background music, not to mention her wonderful photography! We stayed in the John Madison Suite which was beautiful and comfortable. Every detail for the wedding was thoughtfully covered and all we had to do was show up with our license. It was a nice surprise to come back that evening from dinner to find an email with our wedding pictures! Breakfast was delicious as well! We felt like we were staying with old friends. We've already recommended Holladay House and Sharon to friends that are looking for an intimate wedding venue. We're going to try to return in the winter, if not then, definitely for our first anniversary! Thank you again Sharon for all you did to make our day so very special!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
hhbb_innkeeper, Owner at Holladay House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, May 5, 2014
I am so excited you had such a wonderful experience with us for your wedding! We take the details seriously - but with a smile :) Welcome to the unofficial "Holladay Wed Club" :) We look forward to seeing you for your anniversary!
Easton, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

Due to time constraints, I normally do not write TripAdvisor reviews, however, I felt compelled to do so after the excellent service my mother and I received during a mother/daughter weekend get-away at the Holladay House in April. This was my first bed & breakfast experience and I was blown away! Prior to even checking in, Sharon, the inn-keeper, was more than accommodating through email correspondence. She recommended local wineries for my mom and I to tour, as well as gave time-saving suggestions for Montpelier and other area attractions. During our stay, we were greeted each morning with DELICIOUS breakfasts made with local, fresh ingredients. Two of the items were so yummy, that we asked for recipes, which Sharon gladly provided. (The biscuits are made from scratch and Sharon makes a creme brulee french toast!) Our room was beautiful and even included a gas fireplace. I cannot say enough great things about The Holladay House. If you're looking for a relaxing get-away with superior service, do yourself a favor and book a room at the Holladay House. Thanks again for everything, Sharon!

-Kari Clow and Shelley Mielke

Room Tip: John Madison Suite is great! Has it's own bathroom, comfy bed, separate sitting room with couch...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
hhbb_innkeeper, Owner at Holladay House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, April 25, 2014
Kari and Shelley, we are thrilled you had a great Mother-Daughter getaway. Those trips are SO special :) We had a great time helping you plan your trip so you could pack in everything you wanted to do and still have time to relax in your suite by the fireplace :) We look forward to your next visit where we can serve up your breakfast favorites or surprise you with new recipe-getting-worthy new ones ;D
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2014

The Holladay House was fabulous. Sharon was super helpful to my daughter and I when we stayed there in March. The room was excellent and the entire property a pleasure to visit. We took advantage of nice weather and sat on the porch, The breakfast was a treat and substantial to set us on our way as we toured Montpelier. I would visit again!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
hhbb_innkeeper, Owner at Holladay House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, April 9, 2014
And we would love to have you visit again! Thank you for the compliments - I enjoyed helping you every step of the way :) We've been told our breakfasts hold folks for well into the afternoon - but not in an overstuffed sort of way - glad it helped you get through Montpelier!
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2014

Our wedding overnight was perfect in every way. Three cheers and six stars to the Sharon and the Holladay House B&B for thinking everything through so that my husband and I could enjoy each other and the occasion. We had the loveliest time from the big picture to the last detail: the parlor, flowers, photography, breakfast, suite… I could go on and on. We can't wait to pack up our thawing cake and return to Orange and the Holladay House for our first anniversary!

Room Tip: I'm sure every room is as lovely as ours was, but I can't imagine a better elopement site, o...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
hhbb_innkeeper, Owner at Holladay House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, April 4, 2014
I am so excited a day that should be perfect WAS perfect in every way. We believe wholeheartedly in creating that experience for our wedding couples. And when you return for your anniversary, you'll see that we mean to do so for all our guests, whether they are celebrating their first day of marriage or 80 years of marriage :) Looking forward to seeing you both again!
Arlington, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2014

This was our second visit to Holladay House. The Innkeepers made such a terrific impression on us the first time around, we had to make a second visit. The first time around, the innkeepers provided us with recommendations on sights and wineries near and around Orange. That first weekend away from DC was likely one of our fondest getaway weekends. For that reason, the next trip to Holladay House would be extra special. Sharon was absolutely instrumental in helping me plan the perfect proposal to my now fiancée. She made tweaks to my grand plan and offered to be a hostess to my parents and my fiancée’s parents...our parents were making a special trip from Chicago and North Carolina respectively, for the big surprise. Sharon worked extra hard to make sure our parents were comfortably hidden away until the right moment. My fiancée was beyond surprised and I know that neither one of us will forget this amazing weekend. I could not have pulled this weekend off without the help of Sharon, Sam, and their family. I'm sure the other Bed and Breakfast options in the area are great...but Ashley and I will only stay at Holladay House whenever we are in town. This incredible weekend and very special memory wouldn’t have been possible with Sharon and Sam’s hospitality. Stay here and be ready to be amazed...it’s hard to find hospitality like this anywhere anymore!

Room Tip: Visit the website and get an idea of what Holladay House has to offer.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for choosing us as the site for your "morning you will never forget!" We feel the same way! What an honor to have you choose our inn as the site to take such a beautiful next step in your lives :) And thank you for including us in the planning - what fun to be able to help two amazing guests of ours in such a special way :) Of course we wish you a wonderful wedding planning experience and look forward to changing your reservation so both of your last names are the same :D

Been to Holladay House Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!