“Wonderful dog-friendly location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Inn on Poplar Hill

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Orange
Inn on Poplar Hill
278 Caroline Street, Orange, VA 22960   |
Ranked #6 of 7 Orange B&B and Inns
Alexandria, Virginia
“Wonderful dog-friendly location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2012

We are always interested in exploring dog-friendly B&B's, and brought our two dogs here for a 3-day visit. We were quite happy. The owners are extremely friendly and are very helpful with suggestions on where to visit and dine. They prepared two delicious, healthy breakfasts during our stay. They also had treats to tide us over in the afternoons (delicious cookies and brownies). The grounds are very expansive and inviting for a stroll, especially with two enthusiastic dogs. Lots of places to explore, including "the maze" where my wife got lost. (But fortunately our oldest dog found their way out!) The room we stayed in was a bit small, but had lovely antiques and a very comfortable bed. The shower was a bit high-tech, and the jets in the tub didn't actually work. We couldn't get the air conditioning to work, either, but in April all we had to do was open the windows and things were fine. Orange itself doesn't have a lot to recommend it, but we anticipated that and we just used the Inn as a base of operations to explore wineries and the countryside. All in all, we recommend the Inn on Poplar Hill and hope to return soon.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

151 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2012

My husband & I were very disappointed with the level of service we received and the lack of understanding of their business from the Inn on Poplar Hill.
Due to employment issues with this economy, my husband and I are living 4 hours apart from each other. We thought for our 10 year wedding anniversary that we would go somewhere special and meet in between. We had $300 in Bed & Breakfast Gift Certificates so we thought we should meet halfway in Orange, stay at a B&B & spend a romantic weekend wine hopping.
Now we are aware that these certificates have some criteria to them. It specifically says that we MUST go ONLINE at Bed & Breakfast website to use them. The Inn on Poplar Hill does have a website connection with B&B.com and it does say on there that they do take gift certificates them, however, there is not "Book it Now" button link to use the gift certificate on the site.
I emailed the Inn on Poplar Hill from the B&B website & Victoria answered saying, 'We do accept gift certificates from Bed and Breakfast.com. We just don't use their on line booking link. you can make reservations online at our website or by calling.'
So I called. I mentioned that these gift certificates say they are online only and she said it is ok, that they take the gift certificates. I felt concerned that she did not understand me fully and called again. This time Marty answered the phone. I explained that these certificates say they are online booking only, that it is $300 and I am worried you won't take them. He assured me that they do this ALL the time. He explained the process that he goes online, types in the GC# and then the money goes to their account. OK then. Well, I talk to my husband and there still is a fear in our stomach that they won't take them when we get there. So, this time my husband calls (I didn't want to annoy again) and READS the entire terms & conditions to Marty and we are again assured that there is NO PROBLEM. Fantastic! We book! We arrive & hand them the gift certificates and pay the balance with our credit card.
We sleep, wake up and have a great breakfast. After finishing breakfast, Marty comes to the table to tell us that WHOOPS! We do not accept these gift certificates and we will need to pay it all off with another form of payment. WHAT? My husband and I step outside to discuss what just happened. This is now NOT in our budget! Well, we have to go! When we went back to them to tell them we were leaving, we spoke with Victoria. We told her that this place was NOT our first choice, if we were to pay in FULL we would have gone somewhere else. She said she was UNAWARE that there were different types of gift certificates. My husband told her that as a business owner working with a third party to promote your B&B, you should be AWARE. Especially after us calling 3 times to make sure! Now the rest of the weekend is ruined because we have to drive separately to all the wineries and then we ended up at my husband's home 2 hours away which defeated the purpose of the weekend.
So, are we partially to blame? Yes, of course. But we were assured that this would be no problem and they would accept the gift certificates. Not once did we check, but via email and THREE phone calls and even reading the entire terms and conditions to them. We felt safe because they assured us!
Now throwing salt on our wounds, they still needed to collect a remaining balance from us that the gift certificates would have covered for the one night. The least they could have done for the mistake of not knowing all about who they are partnering their business with is to have not collected the balance of $63 remaining after handing my cards back to me. They could have said, "Sorry for the mistake, we will not collect the remaining balance of $63. We are sorry you cannot stay the entire weekend with us, we would have loved having you here longer." THAT would have been a better service. It was very inconsiderate. I was in tears.
So Marty & Victoria, please educate yourselves on everything about your business and your third party partners and please actually listen to the questions and concerns that a future vacationer has so that another weekend won't be ruined like ours was.

PoplarHill, Owner at Inn on Poplar Hill, responded to this review, May 12, 2012
We are truly sorry that you had an unfortunate experience. When you called to ask if we accepted Bedandbreakfast.com gift certificate you did not NOT mention us that they were only valid if your used them online directly with B&B.com. It clearly stated this on the back of the certificate. If you had told this to us prior to your arrival we would have told you that we could not accept them for payment. There is no way for us to cash these particular promotional certificates. When you checked late on Friday my husband did not even look at the gift certificates as it was so late.

In the morning after breakfast, when we discovered the certificate was invalid, we gave you the option of paying for the second night of your stay or releasing you from your obligation. We generously forgave you for the second night of your reservation. Returned the invalid gift certificate to you and wished you well.

You never mentioned to us that the certificates said "must be used online" or we would have never taken the reservation. Why would we want to cause such a problem. We then lost revenue for a room night on a very busy weekend.

NOTE:
We do accept Bedandbreakfast.com gift certificates or gift cards, if they are valid to be used directly with the B&B. Check the back! The promotional certificate mentioned in this review clearly stated that they must be used online when making the reservations they are prepaid to bedandbreakfast.com. If the customer had told us that on the phone we would have told them they were not valid to use upon check-in.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2012

This is a lovely B & B in a beautiful area of Va. The proximity to Montpelier and Charlottesvile make it very appealing for history buffs. My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed the innkeepers Marty and Victoria. They are kind and entertaining but not pushy. They give guests lots of inside information on what to do in the area and good places to eat. We loved sitting on the front porch in the morning and having our coffee brought out to us. That was such a treat! Victoria is an amazing cook. Breakfast is served in a beautiful dining room, but the food is what shines. Souffles and eggs Benedict, blueberry pancakes and fresh fruit...each day is something incredible. This is a lovely old home, so be aware that there are squeaks and noises but it all adds to the character of the Inn.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Sterling, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2012

Stayed at the Inn on Popular Hill at the end of April 2012. Were greated by a smiling Victoria, who promptly showed us the freshly baked chocolate-chip cookies and hazlenut brownie bites. The Inn is in a very convenient location on 28 acres...although sadly, we didn't have time to take advantage of the property, becuase it was raining and we also had other things to do. There are several restaurants close by and Marty and Victoria are full of recommendations. One of the things I appreciated the most was the willingness to change the breakfast menu to accomodate my gluten-free and no sugar diet. The breakfasts were fabulous!! We were also given free passes to Barboursville Winery (our favorite).
We also enjoyed the time we spent just talking to Marty and Victoria...they are great hosts and we plan to go back and visit.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
chesapeake
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

My husband surprised me on my 60th birthday. I had no idea where we were going. He told me to pack an overnite bag for two nites.We travelled from Chesapeake Virginia to Orange Va. As soon as we pulled up to the Inn I was in awe. Oh how beautiful, the home and the grounds! I was so excited I could not contain myself. With a smile Marty greeted us as my husband and I were smiling from ear to ear. We soon also met a gracious Victoria and the fun and excitement began.
The accomodations were delightful and the hosts were divine!
This is a birthday I will never forget! Fabulous!

Leesburg, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2012

We have had a few personal disasters come up this past month. We let Marty and Victoria know that we were coming to take some well needed "US" time. My wife and I were treated so special. They were so warm and friendly. The grounds are well groomed and have fun trails around the property. Be sure to take some time on the hidden hammock, it is well worth the hunt! Thanks again to Marty and Victoria for an amazing weekend!!!

Leesburg, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2012

Life has been treating us to a bunch of lemons lately. Our weekend at The Inn on Poplar Hill took those lemons and made lemonade!! We had a fabulous stay with Marty & Victoria. They did everything they could to make sure our time with them was relaxing and fun. We had free passes to local vineyards, a picnic basket filled with yummy homemade food, and best of all - the hidden hammock! A place of serenity in the midst of ancient poplar trees that provided us with a peace and serenity only mother nature can provide. Our second day consisted of more decadent food (breakfast), a steam shower, a massage therapist brought to our room, and more free passes to local vineyards. It was a weekend we will always treasure - it was a weekend we desperately needed. Thank you Marty & Victoria - we are already planning our next trip to see you!

Room Tip: Loved the rose room and the black walnut room best! But all their rooms are wonderful.