“OK place” 3 of 5 stars

Good for: Dining on a budget
Baltimore
“OK place”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2008

There are not too many places in Orange to eat that are kid friendly, except for fast food restaurants, which we tend to shy away from. The food at this restaurant is average. It was a lot of it, but the quaility in my opinion was not that great. One thing that was good was the corn muffin with dinner. However, they didn't have real butter, only the fake kind, which we don't eat. Why restaurants buy this stuff is beyond me.

Newport News, Virginia
“Good Down Home Food/Excellent Service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2008

We have been to the Hornet's Desk twice this month. Just discovered them. Its a nondescript white building in Orange, VA. Interior is tables and booths...not fancy. Decorated with local sports memorabilia. Our first visit, I had salmon cake, macaroni salad (a yummy dill creation, not all mayo), fries (cold and disappointing) and cole slaw (yummy....the best since my mom's). My hubby had brisket (fabulous), turnip greens and pinto beans (both good). Service was exceptional! One server who actually runs to bring you your food and anything else you need. Prices are great. We liked it so much we went back the next time we were passing thru the area. Hubby had the same meal (except substituted black eyed peas for the pinto beans). I tried mashed potatoes and gravy with green beans (delicious) and baby back ribs (inedible...too spicy). My lips and mouth burned for two days. Stay away from the ribs! I could only eat three of the entire rack. The server said they had made a mistake mixing up the rub and used too much cayene pepper. They shouldn't be serving them. All the other food, though was fabulous. Again, not fancy....just good down home cooking, huge portions and great prices. When we go back again it will be brisket (melt in your mouth good) for the both of us.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Generic, poor quality food.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2007

Generic, poor quality food.

Virginia
“Great Home-Grown cooking”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2007

I have eaten at this restaurant numerous times. It is a family-run establishment, and the owners are gracious and polite. The atmosphere is very casual, so if you are looking for a high-brow dining experience, this is not the place. The food, though, is great and reasonably priced, and the portions are large. I recommend the country-fried steak or the beef brisket. They also create their own barbecue sauce for their pulled pork or pork ribs, both of which are home-made. If you want a simple, no-frills place to eat with great food and reasonable prices, I highly recommend the Hornet's Nest.