“a rural jewell” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 7 Orange B&B and Inns
Charleston, South Carolina
“a rural jewell”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

The Inn was a complete surprise. The level of service, the interior decor, and the grounds were all impeccable. Yes, it is a pricey stay for a rural setting but well worth the cost. The Inn also has a restaurant, on site, that serves well prepared and presented dishes for all tastes, including a nice wine list.

I've all ready recommended to friends.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Old Schoolhouse. A great stay; however, the bedroom is on 2nd floor while bathroom...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
WillowGroveVA, Guest Relations Manager at The Inn at Willow Grove, responded to this review, February 24, 2012
Thank you for your kind review and for recommending us to friends. Our goal is to provide our guests with the kind of memorable stay that they can’t wait to tell friends and family about when they return home! Unfortunately yes, the Schoolhouse has a fairly steep staircase - it is one of the many original historic structures on our property that dates back to the 18th century. In fact, it is the oldest schoolhouse in Orange County! We were careful during renovation to preserve the schoolhouse’s historic character and charm while upgrading the space with the luxurious modern amenities to make it comfortable for our guests. Hopefully the stairs were not too much of an inconvenience! Maybe next time try the Butler’s Cottage, which offers the same privacy, intimacy and luxury - but with fewer stairs!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Batesville
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2012

First impression - a waitress at the hostess station was busy dividing a check, so we had to wait for her to finish that and move aside in order for the hostess to pick up menus and seat us. On our way to our table it felt like we were walking through the kitchen then going up a back staircase to a large dining room designed more for receptions than for intimate dining. After being seated beside a large, very loud party celebrating a birthday, it was at least 10 minutes before any other member of the staff acknowledged us. When we were provided a menu, I was disappointed by the absence of anything local, because this area of Virginia becoming known for its appeal to localvores.

I ordered the Manhattan seafood chowder - average at best - and the BBQ shrimp which was very tasty but the kale was tough and needed to have the center stems removed. My wife had the scallops and grits appetizer and the halibut entree and was very pleased with both. She said both were tasty and fresh.

We shared the chocolate and blueberry fried pie and that was very good. We were also pleased to be offered locally roasted coffee fresh from the french press at our table - a very nice touch.

We are locals and this was our first visit since the renovation which is spectacular. The inn and grounds are a delight. The outdoor firepits are a superb gathering space.

We would consider coming back in warmer weather for al fresco dining with friends.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
WillowGroveVA, Marketing at The Inn at Willow Grove, responded to this review, February 21, 2012
Dear valued guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write your recent review for Vintage Restaurant at the Inn at Willow Grove. We sincerely appreciate the feedback. We work hard to provide our guests with the finest dining experience and, while we have come a long way in the year that we’ve been open, we are constantly striving to improve. We have shared your thoughts with our staff and will use your review to improve our service in the future.

We would like to take this opportunity to respond to some of your more specific comments. We take pride in our historic Virginia roots. Not only do we hire locally, but we also support our local economy by using local purveyors whenever possible - for instance, our primary supplier of produce is one of the largest in the area, working with over 20 local farms to obtain the highest quality, locally-grown fruits and vegetables. Also, we are currently in the process of expanding our wine list to reflect the wide range of delicious wines from local vineyards found along the Virginia Wine Trail in our very backyard.

As for your table, we sincerely apologize that it was not to your liking. Many of our guests prefer the intimacy of The Hall, which is an elegant space warmed by a large, open fireplace and surrounded by French doors with picturesque views. Perhaps a seat downstairs would be more to your liking. We welcome your return to Vintage Restaurant in the future and look forward to making your next experience more enjoyable!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2012

I'm used to staying at very nice hotels. I frequent Four Seasons level hotels anytime I travel. Some might even consider me a hotel snob. I honestly didn't expect much when I was asked to stay at this bread and breakfast for a few days.
This hotel impressed me exponentially! The Inn is now in my top 3 list of places to stay on the East Coast. There is still room for improvement, but if they get everything right, this could become a true diamond in the US (i.e. higher prices, high stars, and unbookable!
Interestingly enough, my favorite hotel is a hotel in Napa Valley called Caneros Inn. In order to get that experience, I literally have to pay 6x's more money and travel across the country. Now I can have this experience 2 hours from home. The formula is the same: good-great restaurant, isolated hotel rooms (cabin style), excellent staff, fire pits, sense of community on the property and "wineries" in close proximity. In my eyes, this is the combination for East Coast heaven…I could only think of one thing when I left “I love this place!”
The Inn and grounds are BEAUTIFUL. When we first arrived we got confused on where to pull up, but we gathered the courage to walk into the main building and we were greeted with a million dollar smile. We stayed in the Tenant house. This was separate from the main building. We had to drive our car to a small drive way, which connected to a brick walkway leading to a wonderful "cabin". The cabin had a porch with rocking chairs (I know this place is going to be amazing during the summer). Inside the cabin, we had an upstairs and downstairs. The downstairs has a gas fireplace and sofa. The upstairs has a very modern bathroom (heated floor, towel warmer, big shower with 5 shower heads, and very modern bowl sink). The bed room is dominated by a HUGE bed that is VERY comfortable (I'm also a bed snob). The combination of technology, modern design, and old world charm were done perfectly in the guest room. There are two LG LCD TVs, an alarm clock that understands voice commands(bought one –moshi), big drapes covering the doors and modern artwork in the rooms. You can tell a lot of thought went into the design. When you are not overpowered with faux charm or underwhelmed with budgetary "minimalism", you reach a nirvana that can't be explained. I thought this place did that.
The food is good to very good. I loved the beignets, coffee, shrimp tempora and French toast. The restaurant, bar and bar staff were great/awesome/entertaining! In fact, I’d rather eat at the bar instead of the restaurant.
Hotel service was very good from concierge service to checkin/out.
I could write an extremely detailed review about this place, but I’ll let you discover it’s magic. I hate to recommend this place, because I’m selfish and I see myself doing many “staycations” at this place. Like any gem, you have to search to find it. My treasure might not be yours. However, if you are used to staying at really nice hotels….if you are used to good service….if you want to relax without traveling hours away to unwind…if you want good food….you have to put this on your list. The staff is quirky, but I smile when I think of them. The restaurant is not Per Se, but the food could become memorable. I’ve seen this formula done before, but why break a winning formula…especially if I’ll be back multiple times. Overall I just love this place for what it is….a place to relax and a home away from home. That is hard to do. Five stars are reserved for a hotels like Amangiri, but I truly believe with enough work this property could reach that level.

Room Tip: Book the Tenant upstairs or school rooms
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Wow! What a wonderful review! Thank you so much for taking the time to share your thoughts. We are delighted that our hard work and dedication to excellence is noticed and appreciated by our valued guests. Our greatest wish is to become a premier destination on par with such five star establishments as Per Se, Amangiri and Caneros. Just the mention of our name in association with these world-class hotels and restaurants is gratifying! We are working hard to reach this level of exceptional quality and service and, while we know we have a lot of work ahead of us, we are committed to making our Inn and restaurant the best they can be. We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay with us - and we welcome you to think of us as your home away from home (that in itself is the greatest compliment we could receive). We look forward to seeing you again!
Kennesaw, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2012

We picked the Inn at Willow Grove for a visit with out daughter in Orange over Super Bowl weekend. The staff, food and property were just great. Carlos was especially gracious as our host at check in and in the dining room. Jamie treated us royally for the game in the Pub. The room was excellent even without the evening turn down deserts and tea that were fantastic. Don't miss at least one dinner in the restaurant - a great menu executed very, very well. This is a true gem that rates as a destination stay.

Room Tip: We stayed in the smaller Tenant room. Huge bath with soaking tub, large shower and heated floors. N...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
So happy that you enjoyed your experience! We aim to be an upscale boutique hotel that is a destination in itself. We are thrilled that you enjoyed your experience. The best thing about the Super Bowl is that it happens every year - so come again next year!! :)
Orange, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2012

The Inn at Willow Grove is, in the best way possible, a bit of an anomoly and one I am delighted to have found. Orange is a relatively rural and quiet town with several significant tour-worthy attractions. This establishment embraces that environment but also enriches it by elevating the experience to one of haute comfort. Inside and out, the inn is beautiful but also cozy. There is a very similar specific balance acheived in the food served in the restaurant and pub; the food is at once gourmet and accessible. This is likely acheived by a talented chef who knows how to keeping things simple, seasonal and flavorful. It is simply fantastic. The staff are attentive and friendly, and I was instantly at ease in the atmosphere they create. The accommodations were right on par with the level of everything else. I will be recommending this establishment to everyone coming close by, and once they experience it I don't know who could stay anywhere else in Orange. It is in a class by itself. When can I go back??!! P.S. This would also be an ideal spot for a romantic getaway and an unbeatable spot for a dinner date.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
What a wonderful review! Thank you for your referrals - we truly appreciate recommendations from our guests. We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay. Please do come back soon - and often! And ps - you’re right! We do romantic getaways, date nights and even weddings pretty well!! ;)
Middletown, Delaware
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2012

My mom, sisters, aunt, and I recently stopped in for a bite. We were wowed by the decor, the service, and the oh so divinely delicious entrees and desserts. We were seated in room 1. The view was tranquil and the ambience comparable to a fine dining experience. Amazing attention to detail starting with the interior design all the way through to the service. Amy and Mandy provided an outstanding service. Chef Daniels’ exquisite literary refection awakened and seduced the palette. The Inn at Willow Grove is Fine Dining that won’t break the bank...A true gem.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your wonderful review. We are so pleased that you and your family enjoyed your experience with us, and we hope to see you again soon!
New Bern, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2012

Spouse and I and two other couples spent last weekend at Inn at Willow Grove...LOOK NO FURTHER if you're on a hunt for superior accommodations, superior service and imaginative and delicious food. Business takes us throughout the US weekly...we know the Inn/Hotel world very, very well--trust us. From the moment we arrived until we walked out to our car at our leave taking, we were spoiled. They do not simply supply a lovely spot for your stay; they work every minute to make sure that you are well cared for--and, amazingly, without ever overstepping privacy boundaries in any way. We were so content that, despite being out and about during the day, we returned to the restaurant there for each meal. HINT: If you have a party of 6, make sure to ask for one of the small bay alcoves at the front of the restaurant! Ideal for that size and private without being stuck away somewhere in another room. The wait staff and chef were delightful and clearly interested in making our stay that for which we had hoped, We wanted to take Our "butler," Steve, home with us. For all you WOODBERRY FOREST parents out there (we are, too) make your reservations today for any upcoming WFS weekend...Inn at Willow Grove will not disappoint!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends

Been to The Inn at Willow Grove? Share your experiences!