“Delicious inn in beautiful rolling hills of Virginia” 5 of 5 stars

Special Rate
Winter Escape
Ranked #4 of 7 Orange B&B and Inns
Morristown, New Jersey
“Delicious inn in beautiful rolling hills of Virginia”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2011

Beautifully appointed inn, food was fabulous. Every item that we ate was superb. Staff was very anxious to please (some are a bit young and need more experience) overall, excellent experience. Bed amazingly comfortable. Would be a wonderful place for a wedding or big party, as the barn and grounds are so well planned for that.
There is a great restaurant, and a cozy pub on the lower level. The hamburger was the best we have eaten, and that is including DB Bistro's in NYC. It comes with fried onions that are crunchy, delicate, expertly seasoned....wow.

Room Tip: they are now finishing a new building that will be pet friendly- should be finished soon, so inquire...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Arlington, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2011

I've stayed at the Willow Grove three times now and every stay has been magical. So magical that my husband and I decided to have our wedding there just a couple weeks ago. We were not disappointed. The grounds made a beautiful backdrop for all of our wedding and family photos and the staff truly went above and beyond to make sure everyone in the party had a fantastic weekend, to include the chef (Jason) being super sensitive and accommodating of my sister's numerous food allergies and we even spotted the owners (David and Charlene) prepping the grounds to ensure our weekend was a perfect one (which it was!). The food is so great and the grounds so wonderful that we decided to make it easy on ourselves and had both the rehearsal dinner and reception at the Inn. We got rave reviews on all the food that was served and our family and friends were truly blown away by the great service, many suggesting we rent out the inn again for family reunions.

In addition to loving the coffee/tea/beignets and nightly sweet treats mentioned in numerous reviews already, we also especially love taking advantage of the fire pits on the grounds, which we've used at all times of the year and the staff are more than happy to turn them on for you if they are not already on (I highly recommend this - especially after grabbing a cocktail to enjoy by the fire - or just for general ambiance). As noted in a previous post, we have also been there when the bugs (especially the stinkbugs) can be bad, but luckily stink bugs don't bite and it is the country so it wasn't hard for us to overlook as we enjoyed our warm tea on the numerous porch rocking chairs (what better way to enjoy the south!) Similar to the post on the stink bugs, we also rented the master suite and used the private porch for some photos prior to the wedding ceremony and like the other post, the porch could have used a sweeping prior to our arrival. When my family requested a broom to clean it up a little, which we had no problem doing, the staff insisted they take care of it for us and did so promptly. I guess it's good to keep in mind that there aren't a lot of staff there all at once but as soon as the staff know that you'd like something they are superb at taking care of whatever your wants or needs. While I'm usually shy at making requests at hotels, the staff at the Willow Grove has been so genuine in their requests to be of assistance that they have somehow found a way to make me feel like I'm doing them a service to let them assist me (and they've been doing this long before they knew I was going to get married here!) While I can't say enough great things about this place, what really puts it over the top is how new everything is. Many Inns in Virginia are old and feel that way, but the Willow Grove is just about a year old now and if the grounds, main house, and restaurant (including the fabulous bar!) don't win you over, then the heated bathroom floors, fireplaces, and warm, comfortable interiors will certainly do the trick. My husband and I feel so lucky to have found this place to celebrate our special day and couldn't wait to share it with our friends and family, knowing that their travels from across the country would be well rewarded (beyond witnessing our wedding!) Thank you Inn at Willow Grove and all the wonderful staff! We look forward to celebrating many happy anniversaries, birthday celebrations, and hopefully even some family reunions for many years to come!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Rhoadesville, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2011

The Inn at Willow Grove in Orange, Virginia was the site of my niece's wedding on the weekend of October 1st!!! My sisters and I were responsible for decorating the "Wedding Barn" and what an amazing venue this is!!!! Dave and Charlene are the most accommodating hosts ~ beautful experience and wonderful southern charm and hospitality!!! Thank you Dave and Charlene for helpint to make my nieces dream come true!!! Anyone considering Willow Grove they get five stars!!!!!!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Brooklyn, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2011

Beautiful property, exceptional room. We were treated like royalty. Can't wait to go back.

Washington, DC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2011

We booked the Master Suite in the main house on short notice for a one-night Columbus Weekend get-away, without any warning that the Inn was undergoing a stink bug infestation.

At check-in, we were presented with a written warning (reinforced with an oral explanation) not to leave doors or windows open, or else the stink bugs would get inside the house. Indeed, many of the public rooms were quite "stinky". One of the main attractions of the Master Suite was "private access to the entire second story porch of the historic Willow Grove Plantation Mansion," but the porch was completely unusable, with dead stink bug carcasses strewn on the floor and live bugs crawling on the rockers, not to mention swarming wasps (which the staff person said he meant to deal with before we got there). Dead carcasses also were on the floor of the suite itself (never to be vacuumed during our stay). (A screen door would have been nice.)

When the same staff person who showed us our room delivered coffee (and admittedly delicious complimentary beignets) in the morning, he actually placed the tray on the floor while he re-arranged the coffee table, commenting jokingly "the floor seems clean enough". Not so much.

This was the same staff person, by the way, who upon greeting me and my same-sex spouse immediately asked if we wanted two rooms (since we both were men). I responded by saying we were happy, as a married couple (under DC law), to share the one room I booked. It has been years since any front desk person has been so clueless when greeting us. (We booked one room, figure it out!)

Obviously, the stink bug infestation afflicting rural Virginia is not the Inn's fault, but it could have taken special efforts to vacuum and sweep affected areas, and to reduce the price of the Master Suite since its principal attraction -- the porch -- was unusable.

With that said, at a bug-less time, and with a more polished staffer, the visit would have been fine. The public areas and rooms are just as nice as previous reviewers commented, as are the grounds and gardens, and the proximity to Montpelier (President Madison's home) is a real plus.

But the test of a top-flight lodging (which is the category the Inn professes) is its ability to deal effectively with issues like bugs and same-sex guests (no, I am not putting them in the same category). Our experience was less than top-flight on those issues.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
WillowGroveVA, Guest Relations Manager at The Inn at Willow Grove, responded to this review, October 14, 2011
Thank you so much for taking time to review our property. We apologize that Mother Nature was not cooperating during your stay. Of course we wish we could better control the stink bugs, they are a nuisance. Our Butler would like to apologize himself for his mistake, when you arrived he was expecting multiple guest check-ins that day, he felt terrible about his blunder. Everyone here at the Inn hopes you will consider giving us another try. Thank you again for taking time away from your busy schedule to review our property.
Chesapeake, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2011

When I checked in for my recent stay at the Inn, I was handed a paper explaining that they have a problem with stink bugs infesting the guest rooms. From insects buzzing me awake at night, to almost drinking a stink bug swimming in my Waterford water glass, this was the worst hotel stay I've ever had.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2011

My wife and I just returned from a weekend at the Inn at Willow Grove and certainly echo the gist of the other reviews. The Inn at Willow Grove is charming, the service is impeccable, the food is wonderful, the rooms are beautifully appointed and tremendously comfortable and all of this holds up entirely. The things I did not expect, and that I rarely have seen in many years of travel were the little things that made for a truly exceptional weekend. Butler service delivers coffee, hot pastries and a newspaper each morning to the room. Porches just off the rooms offer rockers and views that overlook the property, Inn staff always seem to show up right when you need something and always with the warmest attitude as if they genuinely want to help and not that it was merely their job. The grounds are beautifully kept and the interior touches of the rooms and and the Inn itself are so thoughtfully done that it was hard to fault much at all. And finally, the restaurant is simply great. My wife and I ended up dining there both nights of our stay because there were too many things we regretted missing on the first night. The Inn at Willow Grove is a place I hope to get back to often and have my expectations exceeded again and again.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to The Inn at Willow Grove? Share your experiences!