“Hmmmmm....” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Peppers Manor House

You added Peppers Manor House to your Saves list
Peppers Manor House
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Kater Road, Sutton Forest, New South Wales 2577, Australia   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Food & wine lovers
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Sutton Forest
“Hmmmmm....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2011

We stayed at Peppers Manor House while attending a wedding at a nearby venue. The weekend booking policy meant we had to book both Friday and Saturday night and for $340 per night for a Garden Wing room (including breakfast) in the country our expectations were relatively high.

While the property is quite lovely and the common areas are nice, the room was a real disappointment. It was spacious but very dated (think cheap pine furniture, a lumpy bed and floral curtains and cushions) and the miniscule bathroom was a disgrace considering website claims of recent renovations. Ours had a tiny plastic bath tub with a grotty shower curtain and a leaky toilet that needed at least 2 flushes to work properly. The website boasts of granite bench-tops in the bathroom but fails to mention that there is only one tiny old plastic sink and very little room to get ready. They only supplied two towels to our room and one had a huge hole in it.

On a positive note, dinner at Katters was ok (not great) and the waitress taking care of us was friendly. Breakfast was also nice and we felt there was a good selection for the size of the hotel.

We wouldn't return and it would make us question whether or not to stay at another Peppers Property.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Canberra
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2011

My wife and I were given a 'special' from Sydney Weekender. One night Saturday 4th Feb 2011.which included breakfast. My mother in law passed away and I had to chenge the booking. Unfortunately, no more Saturdays, so being retired we accepted a Thursday. When we arrived we were advised that the tarriff ($175) did not include breakfast! The room was a 'standard' cottage room. About 2.5-3.0 star. Only one easy chair, no-where to eat breakfast. A very small bathroom only big enough for one, shower over the bath, cobwebs on the light fitting, and cobwebs in the side lamps in the main room. The towel rail was hanging off the wall. A long way to go (400 kms round trip) just for a second rate room. The restaurant is a One Hat and apparently very good but also expensive, so we didn't bother to eat there. I didn't get to see the rest of the Manor and rooms but they would have been far more expensive.
Not a memorable experience and not a venue I would recommend without considerable checking. Oh yes! They add 2% surcharge for credit cards.

Old Canberran

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Canberra
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2011

We had a small team of 6 stay at Peppers for a workshop and dinner. The staff were so friendly and helpful and the rooms spacious and immaculate. the surrounding grounds were beaultiful and all the meals just amazing. i would recommemd Peppers tp anyone be it a vacation or a work event!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2011

I'm an author of action thriller novels and I had just delivered my next book to my publisher. I needed somewhere peaceful to relax and catch up on sleep and Peppers Manor House was perfect. The staff went out of their way to make my stay a good one, especially Richard and Belinda in Reception and Liz and William in the restaurant. I indulged in a truly yummy room service menu and wandered around the beautiful gardens. If you want a romantic getaway or a wedding location, this would be perfect. My husband and I had a garden wing room which was a good size and whilst the decor was a little old fashioned (but fitting the country theme), the view across the garden was lovely. Only five minutes drive from Bowral. I will certainly go back again.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2011

It would be difficult to choose our favourite spot for our weekend stay at Peppers Manor House. As soon as we arrived we went for a late evening walk through the extensive gardens down to the golf course and club house and the stress of the Sydney hustle and bustle soon melted away.
We hosted a private dinner for some business associates in the Music Room on the Saturday night. It was very relaxed and the surroundings provided plenty of interest as did the excellent food - beautifully presented and the wines recommended by Ben from the well-stocked cellar were excellent.
Our other favourite spot was by the tall windows in the baronial hall. Or was it the table on the terrace under the umbrella for lunch. It didn't matter as we could order food and drinks to be served anywhere on the property. Our garden room was spotlessly clean and we found the staff to be very professional and always attentive. Great shopping in Bowral was only a few minutes away. Next time we will book for the spa! We will definitely return.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Peppersjohn, General Manager at Peppers Manor House, responded to this review, February 9, 2011
Dear Dazzler99

Thanks for your kind words. We value highly your positive comments which I will pass through to the guys on the Peppers Manor House team.

We pride ourselves on our customer service and cleanliness of our guest rooms & suites. Your comments regarding our team being very professional and always attentive are very much appreciated.

I am dissappointed that we did not have the chance to meet on this occasion. Please allow me to personally make your arrangements on your next visit to the Southern Highlands including a treatment at our newly appointed in house Endota Spa.

Kind regards
John Wall
Sydney, australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2011 via mobile

This is a place that just totally fails to live up to the promise of a great location. It has the setting and the history, the main reception rooms have reasonable decor but the entire experience feels as if there are only people on a payroll working here because they need a job. It offers no warmth, no hospitality, no personal care and attention to detail that one expects from a pricey country estate hotel. It's ordinary...at best, and sub-par on service orientation. If I had to put my finger on it, it feels as if there is no manager on site, it only exists as a weekend wedding venue, and that no- one "owns" the customer experience or cares about guests. The fact that there were almost no guests except for a few 80 year olds is probably a reflection of how unwelcoming this place is. At these kind of prices, one could rather check into Lilianfels or the Hunter Valley, or pay less at Briars around the corner. Despite booking midweek and 2 months out, we were allocated a room in the Garden wing, and, it was the very corner room, looking straight into a hedge, and no ability to open a French door and sit in the garden, enjoy the pretty countryside or views! We tried to switch rooms upon check-in, staff found it all too hard...in an empty hotel! The verandah sported 2 cast iron tables and chairs that look like they have not been cleaned in 5 years. Service in the lounges or verandah is non-existent. You arrive back at the hotel after dinner, ring a service bell at the bar at 9:30 pm and the bar ( 3 times) and the bar maid greets you with " I was about to go to bed, what do you want? " Can you believe this?
Breakfast was an exercise in unimagination. Rock hard scrambled eggs that had been sitting in a Bain Marie for 2 hours, shrivelled up cheap sausages ( couldn't tell if they were beef or pork) and dried out bacon. The usual baked beans, fried tomato, mushrooms nothing exciting. No cheese, no cold meats, no salmon, no pancakes, no waffles...at a five star prices! A cappuccino machine that only goes to lukewarm. A shower that trickles lukewarm water in a room with 80's Laura Ashley on a budget.

• Stayed January 2011
Peppersjohn, General Manager at Peppers Manor House, responded to this review, January 30, 2011
Dear itchyfeetdownunder,
I have gone through your recent review and can appreciate and respect your views on the matters raised. In my view, and obviously this view is shared by others amongst our on average 1200 guests each month, the description of the property as having the charm of a morgue is unrealistic.

Thank you and I agree with your comment that our property is in a great location. It is a beautiful country setting only 90 minutes from Sydney & Canberra, and the history of the place is apparent on arrival at the magnificent 90 year old main house.

You will be pleased to hear that the Garden Wing accommodation refurbishment brief has been completed and costed with a commencement date to be approved. We do although have regular guests, one of which I hope you will become, who love the Laura Ashley detail and the larger than usual Garden Wing suites.

I am sorry that we did not have the opportunity to meet during your stay and I do apologise that your stay was not a memorable one on this occasion. If you would care to contact me personally, I would be happy to arrange a ‘special’ stay for you and your daughters that include a treatment at our newly appointed on site Endota Spa.

Kind regards
John Wall
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2011

For me and my partner it was a quick trip from Sydney. Two nights just relaxing in the spacious rooms enjoying great food, and during the day wandering the beautiful grounds and local villages.. Thank you, returned home refreshed.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Peppers Manor House? Share your experiences!