“A fantastic venue” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Broke
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Winery, Contemporary, European
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Part of the Margan Vineyard, Broke, NSW, Australia
“A fantastic venue”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

My husband and I were visiting the Hunter for his birthday. We stayed at a gorgeous cottage along the same road that Margans Restaurant is located on. I had booked a couple of days before our trip.

We were a bit unsure about what we would experience having read about the tasting plates but we couldn't have been happier. We had 3 tasting plates each (the minimum you can order). Our first plates were a potato and rosemary gnocchi with spring vegetables, porcini and goats curd and a beetroot risotto with confit duck,walnuts watercress and truffled honey. For our second plates we both had the spatchcock with lemon yoghurt and we both had dessert plates for the third. They were all fantastic. We did decide that the spatchcock was very lemony but I quite liked that.

The staff were a delight and made our evening very enjoyable. They were experienced, responsive to queries and cheerful to deal with. We asked for a 15 minute break between our savoury dishes and sweet and they happily obliged to the minute.

The wines on offer were extensive and what we had we enjoyed. The restaurant itself is a nice change from noisy Sydney restaurants - the acoustics seem to keep the noise down. It was all very well appointed.

We decided we enjoyed our evening so much that we'd need to visit Broke again soon if for no other reason than to visit Margans Restaurant. If you're visiting the area but are not staying close to Broke, I don't think you'd be disappointed if you made the trip. We'll be making another from Sydney!

Here's a link: http://www.margan.com.au/restaurant/

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Sydney
“Absolutely fantastic!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

My partner and I were particularly impressed with all the lovely staff at Margan. We were there for our engagement photoshoot as well as lunch. I previously contacted a number of wineries to get prior permission if we could have engagement photos taken amongst the vines but all came back with NO. When we first contacted Margan restaurant, the girl was absolutely lovely on the phone and she even suggested we could use the Barrel Room which they reserve for wedding functions.
On arrival, all the staff congratulated us and made us feel very welcome for the entire duration of our stay. Lunch was fantastic! I can't fault the food at all. The main course is around $35 on average,but you get what you pay for - fresh innovative cuisine that leaves you thinking WOW! We were all full but ended up getting dessert. Yum!! Everything ended up being perfect even though it was a rainy day.
I can't wait to tell all my family and friends about my Margan experience! I'm Definitely looking forward to my next visit! :-) Big thank you to everyone there!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Awesome!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

Had been meaning to try Margans for ages. We had lunch there yesterday & the food was just exceptional. It truly was one of the best meals I have had. Beautiful fresh produce, brilliant flavours we loved every dish - we couldnt fault it. A true credit to the chef & staff. Finished it off with a wander through their big veggie patch what's not to love.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Sydney, Australia
“Visitor or local, Margan's is a must”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013 via mobile

Have been visiting this restaurant since it opened, my friends think I have shares in the place as I carry on about it so much. Margan's have a clean, professional and cosy atmosphere. They have an open style kitchen and meals are timed perfectly. They change the menu regularly also, but if you do happen to come across chilli spanner crab spaghettini with pangrattato, do yourself and favour and order it. They are excellent value, and do a 2-course, 3 -course, 4-course style menu with set pricing, with a vast array of choices. Breakfast is also amazing, as per some of the other reviews, Broke has a gorgeous mountain setting. If you sit outside for breakfast you take in beautiful backdrop of the mountains as the well the vines, chickens and Margan's own veggie garden, which they utilise in their kitchen. An absolute must for the locals for both breakfast and dinner, and if you are just visiting us, please, venture off the standard tourist trail and find some truly memorable food! You won't regret it

“Magnificent Dining Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

We had been longing to try the Margan Restaurant since it opened, but the weekend only opening times worked against the timing of our typical Hunter Valley visits. This time we made a special effort to include a weekend in our itinerary, so we could dine at Margan.

We had high expectations and Margan managed to exceed them. The way the "taster" menu worked was clearly explained to us and all our question were promptly answered. We elected to each go with the four dish option, choosing three savoury dishes and a desert dish. My wife had Rainbow trout with ricotta filled zucchini flowers (etc), Beetroot risotto with confit duck (etc), Braised lamb shoulder with chickpeas (etc) and a Vanilla pannacotta with poached cherries (etc).

I had Garden sweet corn cream with seared scallop (etc), Potato and rosemary gnocchi with baby summer vegetables (etc), Squid ink spagettini with prawns (etc) and Banana tarte tartin with rum & raisin ice cream (etc). There was also a complimentary appetiser at the start of the meal and a complimentary sorbet between the savoury and desert dishes.

All the food was wonderfully prepared and presented, the dishes arrived in good time, finished plates were cleared promptly at the wait staff we very attentive but never intrusive. Most of all, every single menu item we ate was simply delicious!

The wine list was exclusively Margan wines and covered the complete range of the vineyard, including Margan Museum wines going back to the 1998 vintage. The restaurant prices for wine appear to be the same as the cellar door prices, so represent excellent value for wine in a fine dining setting. We greatly enjoyed a 2012 Margan Semillon with our meal.

Our four couse taster selections left us each quite replete, and we greatly enjoyed the opportunity to traverse a wide range of tastes and textures in our ~2 hour dining experience.

The meal, with wine, came to $178 in total - which we regard as excellent value for the quality of the restaurant, service and food we enjoyed.

Highly recommened.