“Good food Lovely Place” 4 of 5 stars

Description: Part of the Margan Vineyard, Broke, NSW, Australia
Sydney
“Good food Lovely Place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2012

Beautifully striking entrance. Lovely reception/bar area with picture windows to the cellar door area and stacks of oak casks. Warm welcome - we were offered to relax at the bar, but when we preferred not to, we were promptly and efficiently seated.

Two waitresses were on duty, both charming and efficient, but not overly familiar. Service "comme il faut", attentive but not crawling or hovering, but there if needed. Menu is tapas style (for lack of a better word) and a good selection of entree size servings. The flavours are good, possibly a bit too salty at times and some combinations didn't quite come off, for instance the marinated anchovies were overpowering the delicate seared scallops. In general the chef seems to like a bit of an acidic tang. And then there were bits which were magical: the small serving of (complimentary) Orange sorbet on passionfruit jelly. A flavour explosion with every mouthful.

Our meal was accompanied by wines from the Margan Vineyard which were very enjoyable.

We would certainly return.

• Visited May 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

London, United Kingdom
“Not really good this time”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2012

We had a family lunch there on Saturday 21 April, 12.30 booking. Sure there was a big group of us, maybe 15, but to wait until 3.30pm for main course (entre was served at 1.30pm) is unforgivable. Apart from that the service was good, but I had the fish which was really quite overcooked and dry and almost, but not quite, inedible (I was quite hungry by that stage!). Very disappoining because when I ate here a few years back, I thought it was really great. So be warned! The views from the terrace are lovely and the gardens great for young children to play (while waiting for their food).

• Visited April 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Central Coast
“Simple and Satisfying”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2012

We went to Margan for lunch and sat outside. The service was excellent and we both enjoyed the food. Overlooking the mountains added to the overall experience. We will definitely be back.

• Visited July 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Sydney, Australia
“The best food I've ever had”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2012

Beautiful food in a relaxed atmosphere. Great service. Entree portion sizes but you get to choose 3,4 or 5 course options at a set price. It seems expensive at first but well worth it for the quality of food. I would definitely love to go back and try new things on the menu as the seasons change.

Visited April 2012
hunter valley
“Quite nice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2012

I went to Margan's Restaurant with my partner and another couple, after reading a story in the local paper about this restaurant being very successful in winning some awards recently (which awards exactly has slipped my mind at this present time...)

So we drove out to Broke and found this beautiful winery ... from the moment we stepped out of the car we were gazing around at the well-kept buildings (it's a shame their driveway wasn't given the same attention!). Upon entering we were shown to a table and given a short run-down on the restaurant and the menu. It was quiet, only about six or seven tables taken...which I found strange for a Friday night (although there were two big events on in the local area that weekend, CMC Rocks The Hunter and Tuff Trucks at Milbrodale so that probably explains it). The atmosphere was nice, I thoroughly enjoyed the quiet of the room, and being about to see (mostly) into the kitchen. The staff were very friendly and helpful. Even being designated driver couldn't spoil my night!!

The food, while not exactly mind-blowing in my opinion as still very nice and well presented. Don't be fooled by the small servings though, I was considering five mains and then a dessert, but 'settled' for four mains and a dessert- and I was undoing my button by the time dessert came around. Oh, the dessert....whoa! I had the (strawberry?) panna cotta with homemade fairy floss...now THAT was mindblowing! :)

• Visited March 2012