“Awesome food - wonderful staff” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ramas Fiji Indian Restaurant

Ramas Fiji Indian Restaurant
Unit 6, Pearce Shopping Centre | Cnr Macfarland and Hodgson Cres, Woden Valley, Australia
(02) 6286 1964
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 26 restaurants in Woden Valley
Dining options: Reservations, Delivery
Dining options: Reservations, Delivery
Canberra, Australia
“Awesome food - wonderful staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

Ramas is easily my favourite Indian restaurant. I have been going to Ramas for years and the owner Minnie is fantastic and so welcoming every time. The food is delicious and generous. If you order a banquet for a group , Minnie will offer you more dishes at no extra cost, she just wants you to be satisfied:-)
One of my favourite dishes is the pumpkin rotis for a starter. You do need to book though as is full every night. Also no BYO cost - can you believe that! Also a shop next door that sells wine, too easy. Great atmosphere too.
Also you never are rushed out at the end of the night, Minne tells you to take your time. I love the place.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

91% Recommend
Canberra, Australia
“Reliable, good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2012

This little Fiji Indian restaurant in Pearce serves quality curries every day. I have dined here for over 20 years and bought take aways regularly, it has never failed me. Good fresh food, great flavours and efficient service. And it is very reasonably priced. Book well ahead if you want to dine in, the locals know how good it is.

• Visited March 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Canberra
“Very Disappointed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2012

My wife and I ventured to Ramas with great expectations following glowing recommendations from friends and work colleagues. Unfortunately I have to say I was underwhelmed by the food, which I was lead to believe was arguably the best Indian food in Canberra.

On arrival the staff were friendly and helped us to a table pretty quickly.

We ordered a mixed entrée for starters and Pappadums which arrived pretty quickly. Unfortunately the Pappadums were the tastiest part of the initial selections. Despite this we anticipated a flavorful main course.

The mains consisted of Chicken Korma (medium heat), Beef Kofta (medium heat), Roti, Garlic Paratha and steamed rice.

Having eaten some spectacular Indian (South, North and Fijian) over the years I was expecting a mouthwatering offering but was extremely disappointed with what arrived.

While the chicken meat was tasty the Beef Kofta balls were flavorless. Most disappointing was that both Korma and Kofta sauces tasting exactly the same without even the slightest of variations! To be honest both mains were very bland. No disrespect to the chef but the sauces actually tasted like Keens Curry powder was used and not traditional spices.

In terms of value for money, at $80 for the total meal we also felt it was overpriced.

As an overall dining experience we were left very disappointed. I doubt we will be back.

There are better offerings of Indian food in Canberra.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Good Indian food in a cafe-style restaurant- v family-friendly”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2012

Finally made a booking and got to this restaurant that many native Canberrans have suggested as a must-do. You will need a booking if you want to dine- it's POPULAR. There were just as many seated outside as in and the young staff did a brilliant 5* job looking after everyone. Is it a must-do? Well. the jury's out for me. It looks to be very popular with those living in close proximity to it. The hostess is lovely and is sure to call everyone by name. She seemed to be greeting at least half the people walking in as repeat customers- a sign of a great local establishment. So, as I said, the service is its strong point- you're made to feel very welcome and appreciated- something almost entirely absent in most other Canberra eateries. The food is good, it seemed to me to be fairly standard Indian-style curry- though do note, that I was on my own, so only tried one dish. Don't take my word as gospel. Prices were around $10.00 for appetizers and $20.00 for mains, with a good range of vegetarian food available. Ramas is not licensed, but offers BYO and charges no corkage- hooray! So two things to note, which will be pluses or minuses depending on what you need from a restaurant. 1. This restaurant is very welcoming to children. If you are not happy to share airspace with kids, definately DO NOT book a table outside. Tables outside face into an empty concrete square and regular diners the night I was there came prepared with scooters and outdoor toys for their children. I counted 14 under tens as I left and the noise was deafening. Inside was much better. 2. This is not a date restaurant. It's more like a cafe- 80s decor, brightish lighting, no music and almost everyone in sneakers and jeans. Tables are also very close together- not a place for intimate conversation. It seems very popular with multi-generational families celebrating birthdays etc. In all I enjoyed it, but have had better Indian food elsewhere in Canberra for similar prices, with a nicer atmosphere and much less of a creche feel. However I have not felt so welcomed and looked-after anywhere else and would happily go back for the fabulous service alone. Thanks Ramas.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
“Best Indian I have ever eaten! BYO and no corkage!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2012

I went with my partner and another couple, we ordered entrees and four meals to share, each dish was devine, full of flavour, with the meat cooked to perfection (very tender).

The sauces were amazingly full of flavour, I honestly couldn't complain about a thing.

I have tried many Indian restaurants, and this is the only one I will return to in Canberra - I live in Gungahlin and truly believe it is worth the drive!

• Visited May 2011