“Good on Budget” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 4 hotels in Kimball
Madison, Alabama
“Good on Budget”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

WiFi was spotty but free.
Swim pool is a bonus.
Clean
Friendly staff
Nothing fancy but they try to be fancy, good effort
Hot breakfast, not bad
10% off local Mexican restaurant with stay in Super 8
Pets welcome for 10 bucks more
Yes, we'd stay again if we were on our current budget.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
KimballSuper8, General Manager at Super 8 Kimball, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Thank you for sharing your recent experience with us. I am delighted to read that you were able to enjoy our hotel, its amenities, staff, and location. I am very fortunate to have some of the best team members in the hospitality industry that are truly dedicated in providing a memorable experience and delighted to hear that you had the opportunity to meet some of them. Once again, thank you and we look forward to your return visit.

Sincerely, Mike Patel

112 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

Everything was very good except breakfast items were not replenished often enough. Several things were out.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Super 8

KimballSuper8, General Manager at Super 8 Kimball, responded to this review, June 2, 2013
Thank you for choosing the Super 8 as your home away from home. I am delighted to hear that your stay was a satisfaction beside the breakfast. We have alerted the clerks and added more staff to ensure that they replenish breakfast more often. Next time your travel plans bring you back to Super 8 in Kimball, please contact me directly so that I may assist with your reservations by offering our best available rate as well as return guest discount. Your business is greatly appreciated and we will do whatever is necessary to keep you as a loyal guest. Hope to see you soon!

Mike Patel
Manchester, Tennessee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

Preface: I booked this room for a Thursday night in May. The booking was a walk-in and pay; basically,I just was looking for a place to crash for a few hours of sleep. I paid $53 plus tax, which I thought was a pretty good deal since the normal price for the room was $65 of so.

Arrival: I arrived at about 4pm local time (note: Kimball is just inside the time change line, and runs on Central time). There was no line, and check in went smoothly. The clerk cautioned me about touching the railings around the hotel, as they had just been painted. It looked liked they were in the process of doing some remodeling, which I always take as a good sign.

Accommodations: The room was your typical budget hotel room. It had a table and chairs which looked liked they'd seen better days, but otherwise the furniture was in ok shape. The room was painted in that pale yellow/green that Super 8's seem to like. The walls were bare save for one picture, I think it was of a ship. The room did include a coffeemaker, refrigerator and one of the old style tube tv's. Those of you that are picky about towels, take note: these were the small, thin types that never quite seem to get you dry. All in all, the room was pretty basic, but the accommodations were acceptable for a budget hotel.

Cleanliness: This is where we start getting in to the negatives. I found hair on the bedsheets as well as on the towels. It wasn't a massive amount (I'm very thorough in my cleanliness inspections, perhaps more so than some people might be), but it was noticeable. There was also some hair on the wall in the bathroom, and many of the towels had unidentifiable stains on them. I ended up switching to a different room (more on that below). I wouldn't quite put the room in the "I won't stay here " category based solely on this, but it was close. The second room was much cleaner. There were stains on one towel, but the sheets and everything else looked much better.

My Stay: As previously mentioned, I was unimpressed with the housekeeping in the first room I was placed in. It also turned out that the air conditioning unit for my room was not working; it simply blew out warm air. As the temperatures outside were well into the 80s, I decided to move rooms. I went back to the lobby and notified the clek of the problems with the A/C unit, and he moved me without any fuss, which I appreciated.

Other than switching rooms, my stay was very uneventful. I slept well, and the bed was very comfortable. I had no problems with noise or light coming into the room and waking me up. All the employes I interacted with were pleasant.

Breakfast: The hotel advertised a hot breakfast, although it really mostly was just your standard continental fare with the addition of some eggs in a steamer. The hotel also offered two kinds of cereal, two juices, milk, coffee, cinnamon rolls, yogurt and had a waffle maker station. The only fresh fruit I saw were some apples. The breakfast area is rather small; while this wasn't a problem while I was there, be aware that when the hotel is full it is probably quite crowded.

Pool/Hot Tub/Workout Center: This hotel did not have a hot tub or workout center that I saw. They did have a small pool, that looked very inviting; unfortunately, I never got a chance to use it. It may not have been open yet, as there seem to be some work being done around it. Perhaps it open on Memorial Day weekend? I'd ask before booking, if this is important to you.

Checkout: Checkout was smooth, with no line and all the charges on my card being correct.

Summary: In the end, I gave this hotel a 3 out of 5. I usually wouldn't do that for a hotel that I had to switch rooms for cleanliness issues, but there were a couple mitigating factors. The second room was clean, so it's possible housekeeping just had a bad day. The fact that the clerk switched me to a different room without issue was also nice. Finally, I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt since there was some renovations going on; I will take this as a sign that they are trying to improve things. Overall, it was not a bad stay; better housekeeping and new linens would go a long way to improving my opinion of this property. I might stay here again if I just need a quick night's sleep, but would check the room first.

Room Tip: The hotel sits right on the road; while the traffic never bothered me, if you are a light sleeper as...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
We appreciate you taking time out of your schedule to give us your feedback. Our goal is to not only meet the needs of each and every guest we serve, but to exceed your expectations to make your stay as pleasant and comfortable as possible. Please know that your feedback is very important to us and the issues have been taken care of. We have also given and still in the future, give additional training to staff to check everything in detail to catch very important issues and get it fixed. Again, I apologize for the inconvenience during your stay and hope to see you during your next visit.

Mike Patel

Been to Super 8 Kimball? Share your experiences!