“Great location” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hula Grill Kaanapali

Hula Grill Kaanapali
2435 Kaanapali Pkwy, Bldg P1, (on Kaanapali Beach at Whalers Village), Ka'anapali, Maui, HI 96761-1980
+1 808-667-6636
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Hula Grill Kaanapali is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 8 restaurants in Ka'anapali
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Steakhouse, Hawaiian
Good for: Families with children, Romance, Bar scene, Local cuisine, Outdoor seating, Special occasions, Scenic view
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Hwy 30
Transit: Maui bus stops right in front Whalers Village every hour!
Description: On the water's edge on Kaanapali Beach, Hula Grill offers a stunning view of the Pacific and of the islands of Lanai and Molokai that has to be seen to be believed. From this distinctly Hawaiian vantage point, you are invited to join us as we celebrate the hospitality, culture and cuisine of the islands. Dinner is served in our open-air dining room where you can relax in the ambiance of a plantation era beach house while enjoying renown chef Peter Merriman's Hawaii regional seafood that isn't only a favorite of vacationers, but locals, too. Hawaiian fresh fish and locally grown produce are combined to create amazing menu offerings that are as colorful as they are flavorful. Fiery sunsets are served up daily along with live Hawaiian entertainment. Our Barefoot Bar offers a more casual menu serving both lunch and dinner under authentic thatch roof umbrellas and a sand floor where you can sink your toes in. The Barefoot Bar is seated on a walk-in basis only.
Idaho
“Great location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

Had lunch at Hula Grill. We started off with the fruit plate which was wonderful. It included watermelon, papaya, mango, strawberries, kiwi, pineapple with a wonderful dipping sauce. Then I had the fish and chips. The batter was good on the mahi mahi, but the fish was a bit tough. They had a dipping sauce called lilikoi that went with the fish. It was very good. Spicy! My friend has the fish tacos. On the menu it says the mahi was battered, but they weren't which was better for her. The " fresh" chips weren't fresh at all. Hard and maybe stale. The scenery was wonderful. Looking out over the beautiful aqua water. They have tables with sand under them. There was a guy playing the guitar and singing. Great place to hang out, enjoy the view, relax, but not necessarily a great food place. They have a great location and who can pass up sitting with your feet in the sand. As long as you don't expect great food to go with it you will be ok. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't bad food, it just wasn't great. The service was just ok. Our waiter was pretty laid back and wasn't too worried about anything. He got to us when he got to us. Sorry, but I kind of want to feel like he's happy we're there and to feel welcomed. So, go and have a drink and maybe some appetizers and enjoy the beautiful view. Then, head some place else for lunch or dinner.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

81% Recommend
Brooklyn, New York
“We ate at the Hula frequently”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

This is a wonderful restaurant right on the beach. The food was delicious especially their fish and pizza dishes. The staff was always pleasant and there was live music each evening. This is a very moderately priced restaurant right in the middle of the beach strip beside Whalers Village. We loved it!

Visited April 2013
Humble, Texas
“Try the Foccacia Chicken Sandwich”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

We had tried Leilani's before and they are both owned by the same company, so why not checkout The Hula Grill for lunch. The Foccacia Chicken Sandwich looked appealing and I selected it. Without question it was deliicous. I think the mac nut pesto is what gave it the great flavor. I was somewhat disappointed that they didn't offer a tropical ice tea, but the sandwich made up for it. Very reasonably priced at $12.95 for a great tasting sandwich.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Washington State
“Special”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

Made reservations for my birthday dinner the first night we arrived for about 10 days out, earliest reservation I could get was 7:45, so plan ahead. When checking in make sure you tell them at checkin that you requested a certain table. I was not aware that I would need to remind them of this and was initially seated back further than initially requested in my online reservation. Was immediately moved when I asked about the requested table and had noticed that several tables nearer the walkway/grass area were open. Seating is not right on the ocean, but is about as close as you will get. Our meal was around $100 for two dinners and two cocktails, and a side veggie. I had the fresh catch fish prepared in the nut crust and my husband had the Chief's special steak. He said his steak was the best he had ever tasted, it was very tasty, and my fish was very good also. They brought a huge dessert for us to share because it was my birthday at no charge. We were very satisfied and I hope to return again and try the barefoot bar area as it looked fun for drinks and appetizers.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Best outdoor setting for dinner on Kaanapali”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

We ate there twice during our 9 days in Maui and what a special place to watch the sunset and listen to great live music. The food is really delicious and the staff go out of their way to make you feel welcome. This place is always and I do mean always busy, but worth the wait.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere