“Impressive menu and great vibe” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Cuisines: American, Californian, Bar, Gastropub
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night
Description: The historic Village Inn restaurant transitioned owners in 2012. The restaurant has updated its menu to contemporary, American cuisine with coastal influence. The venue maintaines live entertainment 6 nights a week and offers happy hour from 3-6pm Mon-Fri.
Los Angeles, California
“Impressive menu and great vibe”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

The food here is some of the best you will find on Balboa Island or the peninsula. You can't go wrong with any of the appetizers or the $10 bar menu. The wings and nachos were some of the best I have had in a while.

The lunch and dinner menu has a pretty big selection to chose from. I was very impressed with the short ribs and would certainly get them again. The quality of food and overall presentation was definitely better than what I expected when I walked in. The staff was extremely friendly and our server was very helpful with some of our questions about the menu.

We were there for happy hour but did not stay into the evening. Our server told us there is live music 7 nights a week which I look forward to checking out in the future. Overall it was a great experience and we were pleasantly surprised after stopping in to get a quick bite and will definitely be back.

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

San Clemente, California
“Impressive menu with amazing food and great service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

Stopped in here to watch a game and was really impressed with the quality of food. The menu has be redone and really has a lot to pick from. The appetizers are some of the best I've had and I will definitely be going back in the near future. The ahi poke is a new item that is pretty tasty and something I saw a lot of people ordering and decided to try.

For dinner I went with the pot roast and was very pleased. The presentation and overall quality of food here has certainly been elevated from what it used to be. They have a huge bar and a bunch of TVs so it's definitely a nice place to grab a drink or watch a game. We sat near the bar and the service was excellent all evening so this is definitely a place worth checking out if you are ever in the area.

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Newport Beach, California
“A neighborhood "dive" with a great surprise.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

OK, so the "VI" has for years been a cozy, little, non-descript neighborhood dive bar frequented by the Balboa Island locals. People are very nice, warm, friendly. Drinks are adequate. The interior's a bit worn. BUT, a few months ago the Village Inn got a new owner, a fabulous new chef, and a transformed menu!! Now the food is excellent-- from the burger to the BBQ chicken salad, to the wonderful filet. Don't miss it!

Visited April 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Sunday Brunch”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

We were looking for somewhere for Sunday brunch and the menu enticed us in. Having had an enjoyable walk along the beach front on Balboa Island we were ready. It was still quite early on a Sunday morning so most places were still quiet. I opted for Heuvos Rancheros and my wife had bacon and scrambled eggs. I can't fault my breakfast. The eggs cooked just so and I know chili and beans are wrong for breakfast but it was good but why do the Americans not understand tea? My wife's breakfast was as expected but she did not understand the scone!! Overall pretty average. I can understand some of the reviews about it being a bar trying to cash in on the tourists / islanders with food offerings.

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Modesto, California
“In the heart of Balboa Island, but average food.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

We only ate here once, so I may not be giving this place a fair shot, however the fish/chips were fair (not bad, but not great either!). There was a band setting up to play later in the evening, but I had my 12 year old, so couldn't stay to enjoy.

Visited March 2013