“A neighborhood "dive" with a great surprise.” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Cuisines: American, Californian, Bar, Gastropub
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night
Description: The historic Village Inn restaurant transitioned owners in 2012. The restaurant has updated its menu to contemporary, American cuisine with coastal influence. The venue maintaines live entertainment 6 nights a week and offers happy hour from 3-6pm Mon-Fri.
Newport Beach, California
“A neighborhood "dive" with a great surprise.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

OK, so the "VI" has for years been a cozy, little, non-descript neighborhood dive bar frequented by the Balboa Island locals. People are very nice, warm, friendly. Drinks are adequate. The interior's a bit worn. BUT, a few months ago the Village Inn got a new owner, a fabulous new chef, and a transformed menu!! Now the food is excellent-- from the burger to the BBQ chicken salad, to the wonderful filet. Don't miss it!

Visited April 2013

London, United Kingdom
“Sunday Brunch”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

We were looking for somewhere for Sunday brunch and the menu enticed us in. Having had an enjoyable walk along the beach front on Balboa Island we were ready. It was still quite early on a Sunday morning so most places were still quiet. I opted for Heuvos Rancheros and my wife had bacon and scrambled eggs. I can't fault my breakfast. The eggs cooked just so and I know chili and beans are wrong for breakfast but it was good but why do the Americans not understand tea? My wife's breakfast was as expected but she did not understand the scone!! Overall pretty average. I can understand some of the reviews about it being a bar trying to cash in on the tourists / islanders with food offerings.

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Modesto, California
“In the heart of Balboa Island, but average food.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

We only ate here once, so I may not be giving this place a fair shot, however the fish/chips were fair (not bad, but not great either!). There was a band setting up to play later in the evening, but I had my 12 year old, so couldn't stay to enjoy.

Visited March 2013
Olathe, Kansas
“very surprising place to visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Sort of stumbled into it and what a pleasant surprise. Very good quality and simple. Enjoyed the atmoshpere and easy on the wallet.

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Irvine, California
“So happy I discovered the Village Inn”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

I have been here twice now. The first time was by myself and the second time I met a friend for breakfast a couple of days before Christmas. Both times were for breakfast. The food was really, really good. I have a ham and cheese omelette with hash browns and hollandaise sauce on the side for my omelette. It was all really good. I think it is the best hollandaise sauce I have had in a long time. My friend had the eggs benedict and said it was really good as well.

As far as decor, nothing to write home about. The booths and tables and chairs are really old and scratched up. There was a fire in the fireplace, though and that was nice. Service was good.

I love to go out for breakfast and the Village Inn is definitely now on my rotation!

• Visited December 2012