“Great place to stay.” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Puerto Nuevo
Hawthorne, California
“Great place to stay.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2011

Forget the whining anal nonsense about run down, dirty, etc. I go there 4 or 5 times a year with my wife. We always have a wonderful time. It's a very short walk into the main part of Puerto Nuevo (maybe 3 minutes) and I have never experienced any problems of any kind here. True, it is not a 5 star resort, but for the money, I think it represents good value.

We have always found the staff welcoming, helpful, and efficient. We switched to the Grand Baja Resort after the hotel we used to stay at in Rosarita changed ownership, and in my opinion went downhill.

I am heading down again next week, and expect to have a wonderful time as always.

Room Tip: Book in advance to take advantage of any discount.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2011

When we first got there, the room they gave us was dirty, had a death bird on the bedroom and bird poop, so they moved us several times I was not satisfied with the rooms, because when I booked my weekend it was a nice condo what I paid for, so don't let the pictures fool you. That Friday when we got there, we left our stuff on the condo and went to the Jacuzzi, the next morning three of us were missing money from our wallets, only one friend that hide his wallet had his money complete. We knew it happened at this hotel because we exchange some dollars to pesos, so we counted our money, besides that we went straight to the hotel we didn't spend nothing. I complained with the front desk guy, but obviously they couldn't do anything about it, because they don't know who was it and they're employees have been working there for the longest, so we ended up lossing around $150 dlls. That means no privacy at all, we were robbed.

Room Tip: No privacy; they robbed us while we were at pool
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Puerto Nuevo hotels

4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2010

My hubby and I had the best mini vacation at The Gran Baja Resort. it was the perfect getaway. We got an amazing deal off their website iit consisted of a Lobster dinner for two, massage for two, ocean view room for just $99.00 the room was so pretty. the views just to die for!! as i said before just the perfect getaway for a celebration of our anniversary.
I just want to say thank you to all the employees there. They were courteous and frendly.
We will definetly come here again!! Great acomodations!!
Thank you Grand Baja!!! A very satisfied guest!!

Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
chicago
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2010

I would like to say that we were victims of a crime when we stayed here at the Not so "Grand Baja Resort". The guys who was apparently the security was the maintenance guy, and everything else for this hotel. I came here with my family and my sister's ring was stolen. As soon as we got there we complained that the t.v. along with other things--weren't working. That same night that we checked in it gave us the cripps bc they put all 8 of us in rooms in every corner of these resort. It was starnge bc I was told that we would have rooms adjacent to one another, and was not the case. Pls do not stay here, we felt that our lives were threatened as the staff was very unfriendly and unwilling to work with us. We made a report with the police but quite frankly--they've might've been in it as well. The G.M. of this hotel also managed Las Rocas where we ended up staying. This experince was terrible and has been the reason why we never came back to Mexico, especially to Rosarito, and especially not this resort. We think Mexico is beautiful but with so much crime it has changed so much..!! DO NOT STAY IN THIS RESORT..!!!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2010

I would definitely NOT ever recommend this Hotel. To begin...they false advertise EVERYTHING. From the pictures to the prices! From the moment we walked in, service and greeting was of the worst possible. It was like it bothered them that you were there. The rooms are old and falling apart. The beds are very uncomfortable and have cheap old wheels on the rails!. House keeping comes in at 5:00 pm and only semi-cleans. We rented a suite with a kitchen and they didn't even bother to wash what was in the sink, replace the bathroom shampoo....it's the only thing they provide, or replace the 2 small waters they provide.
All in all....it was the worst stay ever! Save your money people and avoid an unpleasant stay.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2010

The Grand Baja Resort is anything but what the hotel name implies. It is more like Grand Baja dump. Don't believe the pictures you see on their website. The hotel truly is run-down and needs some major updating. The parking lot is far and the path to the hotel is full of stairs to then lead you back up another flight of stairs just to get to your room. My oceanview room had one window that opened but of course no screen. I would suggest bringing your own blankets, pillows and TOWELS! What kind of RESORT offers two rags as towel and no washcloth. The resort is anything but a resort! I will never go back again!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2010

My boyfriend and I took a trip to Puerto Nuevo and stayed at The Grand Baja Resort... it looked great via the pictures online... don't be fooled!!!!

The hotel is run-down, if anyone is above you it sounds like horses clomping by, there were no screens on the windows so a bee got in our room, we couldn't see the ocean from our "ocean view", you get two thin almost hand-sized towels to use, and the music from the pool area blares until midnight. Not to mention our front plate was stolen off our car in the parking lot. :-(

I will say the staff was very friendly... but it couldn't over-come the hotel's short-comings. I would never stay there again.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to The Grand Baja Resort? Share your experiences!