“Not everything it's cracked up to be!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Culebra Beach Villas

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Culebra
Culebra Beach Villas
You added Culebra Beach Villas to your Saves list
Flamenco Beach, Puerto Rico   |
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Culebra
San Juan, Puerto Rico
“Not everything it's cracked up to be!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2006

I was born and raised in Pr and have stayed in Vieques and Culebras in private residences, hotels, B & B´s as well as in boats stationed in one of the spectacular bays. They are both increcdible, pristine and unique!

But Culebra Beach Villas was definitely not what was advertised. Too bad I didn´t listen to friends and reviews! My birthday was not so much fun due to my decision to stay in this place...I will try to explain so future visitors can make an informed decision according to their interests.

First, the posivie reviews I have read refer mainly to the shacks that are located behind the main building (individual apartments). THOSE are rather nice and clean but they don´t have a view since the main building blocks it. Neverthless, the main building is, simply, falling apart and the owners don´t want to invest money in it since the government is apparently trying to eliminate the oceanfront structure because it is damaging the beach (it is literally in the sand).

I managed to get in touch with the owner because the nice people form JM Rentals, seeing as we were going to leave early from Culebra, got us in touch with him. To no use, since the second room they gave us was still in the same main building and again had no electricity in part of the room (the bathroom, so no hot water) and the alarm went off at 7am!!!! there were no employees around so nothing was done about it...

Although the beach is RIGHT in front and it is amazing!!!! there is no restaurant except for a place they want to call a bar or something, but just looking at it with its flies and the stench made you want to go elsewhere. So, you are at the beach but have to move around to eat if you don´t have a kitchen or just don´t want to cook. Taxis don´t like to drive there since the small road into the hotel is full of potholes...

If you want beachfront and some place to eat, go with Tamarindo Estates. Although the beach is not directly in front of the hotel and Flamenco is way better, it is still really close by and the hotel is wonderful for around the same price. Culebra Beach Villas, for the price, is not comparable to other hotels.

I would never expect luxury in Culebra since its charm is kinda roughing it, but I do expect clean rooms, electricity, and at least cordial staff when things get tough. Especially for the price (I payed 135 plus 9% tax for a full bed)! So if you idea is to honeymoon, to have nice places to eat around and you don´t have a car, beware of Culebra Beach Villas! If you want to have a nice beach walking distance and have a car to drive to restaurants, ask specifically for a shack in the back and hope the staff is in a good mood that day!

• Stayed April 2004

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2006

My wife and relatives stayed here last year and told me what a great beach Flamenco Beach was, to the point that we all decided to visit again this year. They warned me that the hotel was pretty basic and it is, but is undergoing some renovations and it was a lot better than I was expecting considering some reviews. You will get what you pay for, and I got my $'s worth. The hotel is not filthy as some poeple would claim but is not a 3 star hotel either. If you want a 5 star hotel,this will not work for you. But this is not the hotel's fault it is the "unrealistic expectation" sindrome that some poeple suffer from. if you want basic accomadations in the middle of the most beautiful beach in the tropics, without breaking the bank, this is it. We already are booking our next trip for next year.

• Stayed March 2006
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2006

The beach? Outstanding , magnificient and out of this world. But be prepared to bring your own towels, bed sheets and everything to make your life more comfortable. The best time to go is December through March because it is when we enjoy our best temperatures 70's. Ah, do not forget to bring a broom, mop, rags to clean, Soft Scrub and Clorox to desinfect your kitchen, bathroom, etc. I always bring a plastic cover for the mattress and good padded cotton cover to then add the sheets. Otherwise I would rather put a tent and sleep outside. In other words set up your mind for camping at the gorgeous Flamingo Beach, which is one of the best beaches of Puerto Rico. Since the road is pretty bad rent a 4x4 and bring all your food and water from the big Island (its cheaper.) I love the beach but I always arrive with a cleaning crew and the first thing I do is clean and I mean clean because the place is really filthy. I go with a group of enthusiatic unspoiled beach lovers. Remember prepare in advance. Anything to make you comfortable since the accommodations are the pits and you do not want these inconveniences to spoil the treat. Enjoy your stay.

• Stayed February 2006
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2006

Me and my girlfriend spent a week at the Villas and it was beautiful. We stayed at apt 2A and I could not belive how all I had to do to beat to the beach was walk down a flight of steps. I recomend these villas to anyone who is planning on going to Culebra. Air Comditioned rooms right on the beach... what else can you ask for?

• Stayed January 2006
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2006

The beach is one of the world's best. Stayed in Villa 18 and it just got an overhaul. Very nice. Will be back in April. Highly recomended.

• Stayed January 2006
Jersey City, NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2006

Anyone going to this location expecting a resort is a spoiled idiot and should stick to ugly Howard Johnsons in Miami Beach.

The Villas are located on possibly the most amazing beach you'll ever see. The rooms are simple and provide the basics, including satellite TV (must be a recent addition, since their own brochure claims no TV). You have available kitchen and an outdoor barbecue.

Better rent a car because you need to bring everything and 's quite a hike. We were hoping to rent bikes, but the road is too beat up to allow you to bring groceries on a bike.

• Stayed November 2005
Pearland, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2005

Went 2004. If you are looking for a nice resort. Then dont look here. The rooms are nasty dirty. But I hate to say I will go again. The location is incredible. I never rode the Taxi I just rented a bike. Went lobster hunting had paella with some locals. I work for an airline and have to say this is one nasty dirty hotel. But looking for a beautiful beach here it is. I guess it is not crowded because nobody wants to stay there.

Stayed January 2004

Been to Culebra Beach Villas? Share your experiences!