“Wish I'd read these reviews before choosing Tamarindo Estates...” 1 of 5 stars

PO Box 313 | End of Tamarindo Road, 00775, Puerto Rico   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Culebra
JAS0126
“Wish I'd read these reviews before choosing Tamarindo Estates...”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2009

We loved Culebra and would go back in a heartbeat. The Tamarindo Estates website's photos and descriptions were misleading. Our "cottage" was part of a six unit dwelling. We had two connecting units to accomodate our family of four. The units reminded me of Manhattan real estate: tiny and cramped. The kitchen and living room were the same space and literally five feet wide by 15 or so feet long. In addition each unit had a bedroom and a cramped bathroom. Very uncomfortable beds and furniture. We could hear our upstairs neighbor make dinner and another neighbor's baby crying. Alot. The management was helpful and pleasant, but mostly we felt ripped off. It was bad enough that we seriously considered leaving the day we arrived. Nice pool and glorious beach - after you hike 1/2 mile or so down the hill and back up again. Met several other guests at the pool who also felt diappointed by their accomodations.

• Stayed April 2008, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Milwaukee, WI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2009

My fiance and I just returned to Milwaukee from Culebra. While on the island, we stayed at Tamarindo Estates. Tamarindo is a great place if you're looking for privacy, a great room with a kitchen, and really nice people. Karen and John (caretakers) took good care of us, and gave us all the information we needed to have a great time at the resort and in town. The rooms are clean and more than adequate. You're really paying for the private coral beach and stunning view. The beach is on a marine preserve- a channel that is relatively calm even in high winds.

Tamarindo Estates has no restaurant, but town is an easy 7-minute drive away. Susie's has great seafood, Mamacita's is fun and also has pretty good food. All of the beaches on Culebra are beautiful. Culebra is a great place if you are looking for a quieter island experience, and Tamarindo Estates is a great place to rest, relax, snorkel, have a few drinks, and generally unwind.

I like it so much I proposed to my fiance on the beach at Tamarindo Estates, under a full moon. Unbelievably beautiful.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
new york
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2009

Nice rooms, basic furniture, great views of the ocean from the porches and a very helpful management team (husband and wife, John and Karen). The apartments are scattered over a large private estate so you won't meet too many people. The town is very close and there are no shops nearby so definitely come with a car here. The place is generally quiet and the only people you see may be the residents of the small apartment next to yours.
Tamarindo beach is around the corner, and Flamenco a mile away. We will definitely go back.

Talk to Karen about where to eat in Culebra, how to get to the old helipad, and where to learn dominoes from the locals. She knows it all.

Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
New York City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2009

This is my second stay in Culebra and I loved it even more this go round. Tamarindo Estates was a big part of my incredibly wonderful vacation. From our balcony we had a trillion dollar view. It took my breath away...I didn't think a place this affordable would have such a magnificent view. My boyfriend and I bought charcoal and had a cookout one night under the stars with the ocean as our soundtrack...incredible. The cottage itself and the grounds were very well maintained. We had a few roosters and chickens, but none of them crowed and woke us up, which was nice. The managers that greeted us, Karen and John, a married couple, gave us such a nice, warm welcome, it was really great. Karen helped us with restaurants and beaches for snorkeling and how to get places....basically like having our very own travel guide. I would visit again just to say hey to them.
I would suggest renting a car or scooter if you stay here because it's a little out of the way. That said, the island is so small that means 7 minutes from town instead of 4. I liked that it was a little secluded...even more relaxing.
Overall, this place rocks and will only add to an awesome island and an incredible vacation.

• Liked — The Million Dollar Views.
  • Disliked — small bedroom
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
San Juan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2008

We stayed during the summer of 07. It was a wondeerful experience thanks to the enormous beauty the island has but the place was just OK. The bad part is management: they are intolerant, obnoxious snobs who care nothing about your satisfaction as a paying guest.

There are other places to stay. Do shop around for a better deal.

Stayed July 2007
CulebraManager, Manager at Tamarindo Estates Beach Cottages, responded to this review, February 10, 2009
Tamarindo Estates caters to people looking for privacy and tranquility, and thus does not allow visitors who are not registered guests. This rule is posted in the rooms and in the website. The client who wrote this review brought up a bunch of his friends who were staying at another hotel in Culebra to use the Tamarindo swimming pool facilities. He was politely prevented from doing so by our resident manager.
vancouver
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2007

Isolated. Poor beach access. Long walk to pool and all uphill return to only adequate housing. No restaurant. No effort made to make guests feel welcome , cared for or to accomodate any special needs. Incredibly poor services. I will never return to Tamarindo Cottages.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — staff cared nothing about comfort of guests
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Louisvllle, Ky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2007

Got off the airplane and one of the hosts was at the airport to meet me with my rental jeep and keys to my bungalow. She gave me a map with all of the sites plainly marked as well as places to eat, shop, etc. I drove to the bungalow and found bottled water chilled in the "fridge" for me. The view was awesome! The air-conditioning in the room was frigid and the snorkeling some of the best I've seen. I met all of the hosts at the on property restaurant that night and we had a wonderful chat as I learned more about Culebra and the lifestyle there.
I will definitly go back again and when I do, I'll stay with my friends at Tamarindo Estates. Louisville, Ky

Been to Tamarindo Estates Beach Cottages? Share your experiences!