“Best Beach I've Ever Been To” 5 of 5 stars

Activities: Sunbathing, Swimming
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: A pleasant beach on the northern coast of Culebra.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
16 attraction reviews
“Best Beach I've Ever Been To”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

This beach and campground were just exactly as I had hoped they would be. The sand was clean and beautiful, the water was clear, the people were friendly. I've never been to Hawaii but I've been to lots of beaches and this is my new Number 1. Yes, it's a bit of a chore to get here but I suppose that's why it still isn't very developed. I hope it stays that way. I can hardly wait to go back!

Mayaguez, Puerto Rico
5 attraction reviews
“Beautiful, but beware of treacherous current”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

Flamenco Beach is beautiful, no doubt, and worth a visit. (It is not, however, the most beautiful beach I have seen in the Caribbean.) We visited Xmas week in December, at the height of "winter." The water was still a nice temperature, so we went for a swim at a spot that had no large waves at all. It was around high tide, perhaps that had do to with it, but we were pulled by the strongest current I had ever experienced. Despite being good swimmers and in decent shape, it was a very scary experience. There were no warnings or life guards.

Atlanta, GA
11 attraction reviews
“Beautiful, secluded beach!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

I visited this beach about two years ago. It is absolutely stunning! It is very secluded. The island of Culebra is tiny and off the main big island of Puerto Rico. It is easily accessible by public ferry or you can get on a flight from the main island if you so choose. We went by ferry and it supposedly runs once a day but if there's a demand there may be one again in the evening for a same day turnaround. It is a very rustic island and has a bar. Highliy recommend when traveling to Puerto Rico!

Visited January 2012
Seattle, Washington
6 attraction reviews
“Pretty Beach but Overrated”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

Having been to beaches in Hawaii, Australia, and New Zealand, I'm not sure why this beach gets such raving reviews here and in many guide books. Yes, the beach is large, the sand is very white, fine and soft, and the water clear and blue, but the snorkeling was mediocre and the sandflies and mosquitoes were awful. Maybe it was just the day we were there, but there was a huge downpour right before we arrive which probably sent out all of the mosquitoes and sandflies. Maybe it's because we're also sensitive to mosquitoes but we had to immediately dry off and apply bug spray each time we got out the water.

This beach reminded me of Big Beach near Kihei in Maui, but compared to Big Beach, this was a lot more hassle, time and money-wise to get to and the payoff was not that great. Like some other reviewers mentioned, you're either spending a lot of time (and maybe nausea too) getting to the ferry and taking the ferry here, or a lot of money for a plane ride (but the plane ride itself is well worth it for the view). I thought Culebra itself was overrated and didn't have so much to offer to make the travel hassle worth it. I guess it's great if you like a rural secluded place with nothing to do at night. If I could do it again, I'd skip Culebra and spend the time on Vieques instead. It has way more beaches that are just as beautiful, not as crowded, good snorkeling, and the bioluminescent bay itself is worth it if nothing else.

Parsippany, New Jersey
8 attraction reviews
“Great beach”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

Love this beach. Sand is nice beautiful water nice and warm. However many cats on the island of culebra. Besides that's everything was great!
Recommended!!