“Getting their feet on the ground. Amazing staff! ” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Pestana Cayo Coco Beach Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Cayo Coco
Pestana Cayo Coco Beach Resort
You added Pestana Cayo Coco Beach Resort to your Saves list
Carretera a Cayo Guillermo, Km 9, 69400, Cuba   |
Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in Cayo Coco
Winnipeg, Canada
“Getting their feet on the ground. Amazing staff! ”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

Hotel: Clean, brand new, comfy beds, big pool that's almost always empty, meticulously maintained, no bugs (unless you brought them into the room with you)

Food: Even as non-pork eaters, we were able to find something great every day at every meal! If you go to this resort and you cannot find something to eat, then you are just being picky. Remember where you are and be appreciative for the work everyone is doing to make sure you are fed!
Recommend : fish fry bar right before the beach. Get there between 1230-1 for the best pick of fish!

Beach : amazing. Patches of coral mixed with sand beach to get into the water. There are fish and other creatures everywhere when the water is calm, bring your snorkel. There are sand fleas however if you put on deet , you'll be fine.

Entertainment team: special note to Orlando who made the stay very enjoyable for us. However, compared to other resorts I've been, the entertainment is fairly transparent and unenthusiastic. Most days I could go a good portion of the day without seeing any of them. Hopefully this improves!

Night Entertainment : for the week we were there, the shows that drew huge crowds were the ones that had CUBAN culture and dance. This is what you're good at, this is why we are watching you in Cuba, and this is what you should Focus on! The shows where this was done were AMAZING, the North American geared shows were boring and lacked culture. The Brass band and the other band should honestly alternate early evenings they were so good and got everyone on their feet!

Staff: Every single staff member we met was simply amazing. They went to any length to make your stay enjoyable and always had a funny joke or comment, or were just simply kind. Special thanks to Danys, Carlitos, Orlando, the head chef, and the two In training maids in the white shirts in the lobby. Phenomenal service. Thank you thank you thank you.

In short, the Pestana is brand new, they are getting their feet on the ground and I believe they are striving for excellence from what we saw. Relax and enjoy while these PEOPLE (never forget, these are people serving you) take care of you for an amazing week!

Special side note to the extremely rude, abnoxious Canadians that travel abroad: you are embarrassing our country and making us look terrible. Treat others as you would be treated, don't be rude, don't act as though you are better than anybody else (you arent) and the staff are not your servants. Please shape up, it's humiliating.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
MarketingCcs, Director General at Pestana Cayo Coco Beach Resort, responded to this review, January 8, 2014
Dear Jenn Q.

Thanks for taking the time and write your experience, I see it was very nice and enjoyed the service from our staff, and our meals, we know that everything was not perfect, but really thank you for coming to the Caribbean and enjoy a week of sun , We appreciate you comment about animation, and the shows, I take this into account I just talk to the boss about this animation.

I hope you to return and we will be waiting with open arms.

director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

Let me start by saying I have been on at least a dozen vacations around the world...this being my 8th all-inclusive (Dominican, Mexico, Bahamas, Jamaica,..etc.). I have never experienced such horrible customer service in my life, and I am in customer service!

I don't even know where to begin...

The only good things of note:

1) The resort - new, clean, beautiful lobby
2) My maid - Daniuska...fantastic! I had beautiful towel arrangements on my bed everyday, oodles of toilet paper (while some people i was travelling with had none and resorted to stealing from the public restrooms).

The negatives (oooh so many):

Day 1 - Arrived late on Friday night. I was travelling with my family (sister, bro-law, mom, dad, 3 year old niece). We booked 3 rooms side-by-side as I was a single female and felt safer with them near me. When we arrive we were given 3 rooms down in bungalow 9 (furthest possible accommodations from the few amenities). We got into our rooms and my sister's air conditioning wasn't working (it was very hot and humid). My phone / safe wasn't working, but not a huge problem in comparison to no AC. After walking with my sister all the way back to the lobby and waiting for a while, she was given a new 'temporary' room in Bungalow 3. This room had 2 twin beds (not a king for fam of 3) and only one of the beds had sheets and blankets! My brother-in-law also carted all their luggage the whole length of the resort himself.

Day 2 - As we booked as a family and paid really good money for this sub-par trip ($1600EA - not including the tipping and excursion) I went down to the front desk and requested an ideally located bungalow closer to amenities and all together. The first response was a shoulder shrug (first of many). After asking a few more times, I was told to come back at 4pm and we would all be moved to Bungalow 4. Move #2 - My room now doesn't have AC!. Technician comes in and says sorry, can't be fixed tonight (btw - already unpacked everything!). I walk back to front desk and receive a 2nd shoulder shrug:) I demand a new room and i am told there are no more available in bungalow 4. After refusing the "too bad" i was given a key to a room in Bungalow 3 (without my family). I took it as it was hot!....This room turned out to be the best of everyones:)

Day 3 through 5 - Enjoyed the fabulous weather pool side (as the beach was not as pictured). Made some new friends (who I'm sure will also post shortly). Tolerated the awful food (zero flavor - minimal selection - ESPECIALLY if you're a vegetarian!!) Let me just say I didn't go to Cuba for the food, however, it was shocking and a little funny every day trying to find something decent to eat.

Day 6 - SERIOUSLY the MOST frustrating of the whole vaca! After all the room troubles (and shoulder shrugs), while having breakfast in the buffet someone stole my beach towel as well as my sisters pool side. I think no-big-deal, walk over to the towel hut only to receive another 'too bad'. Another side note: you are required to put a 20 pesos deposit when you arrive (yes...at a "4-star"). I was sent to reception again. Waited and spoke to 2 people behind the counter who also told me too bad, we shouldn't have left our towels unattended. This being our 2nd last day at this dive....and trying to soak up as much sun as possible I wasn't going to take this too bad as a final answer. I was then sent to Public Relations....sat infront of a very unfriendly woman who didn't even look up for several minutes to acknowledge us. She didn't speak English, so we waited till someone came over to translate....here it comes...."sorry, nothing we can do". This is where i lost it a little:( Next thing I know I am escorting hotel security to the scene of the crime (we are now at 1 hour into our newest ordeal). Back to public relations. Camera's are supposedly checked and my brother-in-law is basically accused of the offence....ONE MORE TIME..."sorry, nothing we can do". At this point I sent my sister away as I knew she was about to cry and possible attack someone. I demand a Manager.....blah, blah, blah (2 hours in) I finally have to sign a waiver, that I will return these towels tomorrow and they will extend my room for 2 hours late check-out. Let me just say. My family and I spent a total of $9000+ to go to Pestana....and they are willing to ruin customer relationships over a 40 pesos deposit.

Day 7- Yeah....almost over!! But wait...I still have to get my towel deposits back:(:( This took about an hour. Talked to 4 different people (remember the paper i signed....apparently meant nothing). Finally the Air Transat rep came over and handled it within 10 minutes (we didn't even book with them:)). II then told them I wouldn't check out until 4 pm...done.

Suggestions:

1) Customer Service lessons for staff....shoulder shrugs NOT acceptable!!
2) Work on food selections and flavor - spices hardly cost anything, but make a world of difference
3) Communication - ex. put a label on the phones in the rooms that tells people to dial 2 before a room number - small thing but took us 3 days to figure it out)
4) WiFi.....seriously....not offered but is still advertised as a feature

While all our problems were dealt with....I spent so much time fighting and waiting for things that without question should have been non-issues. Please....consider Mexico or Dominican as an alternative. Very disappointing and expensive trip...will not recommend to anyone!!

Dear Michelle D:
Thanks for your comments, I remember well, I do not talk to you, but I am mindful, as the representative spoke to me about you and in the end we could not managed to please you, I admit I had problems during your stay. I appreciate knowing that at least found the hotel nice and clean, and the rest I'll be on in order to resolve outstanding, I understand the problem of the towel and take a long time to resolve, I thank the four suggestions that you wrote to improve and I will work on it, the phone is something that we are sending to do, the others are to follow.
Thank you.

Toronto
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

My family and I stayed at the Pestana from Dec. 27 - Jan. 3. It was my fourth trip to Cuba and third time staying on Cayo Coco. Of the three resorts I've stayed at on Cayo Coco, I would rank this one third. #1 is the Melia and #2 is Memories Flamenco.

CHECK-IN: We arrived in the evening, and the shuttle ride to the resort was very quick. There was a long line to check in when we arrived, which was disappointing. When I stayed at Memories, our check-in was done on the shuttle where they gave us our wrist bands and room keys.

ROOMS: We had adjoining rooms of a suite and junior suite exactly as we'd requested (I'd also emailed the resort to confirm this after our booking, and this may have helped to ensure we got what we wanted). We were in bungalow 8, which was a bit of a trek, but not terrible, and certainly quieter than the bungalows closer to the pool (1-4). I know the resort is new, but there were a few issues we had with the rooms right away. In the junior suite, the rod for the hangers was installed in the closet, but the hangers themselves and the round hooks that stay on the rod were just piled up on a counter. We had to call and have them install the hanger hooks on the rod, which to their credit, they did right away. Also, in the suite, the safe was not working, and they came right away and installed a new battery. In the suite, there was also a problem with the shower flooding, and they came and fixed the drain.

There was no bottled water in the room when we arrived, so we had to call and request it. They came and gave us one big bottle per room, which we had to take to the bars or the buffet to have refilled. (At both the Melia and Memories, our fridge was restocked daily with a fresh bottle of water as well as pop and beer.)

Our rooms were modern and clean and they overlooked the ocean. The maid made up our beds every day and made the sheets and towels into swans, etc. We found, however, that she did not replace the packet of tissues or our bars of soap when they were were getting low (or completely used up), and we had to catch her in the hallway and ask for more. I thought this was ridiculous.

Also, the shower in the junior suite was pretty silly. Instead of a regular shower head, it was a handheld shower head that could be placed on a hook of sorts, and unless you had it on the lowest water pressure possible, it would flood the entire bathroom, which happened to us a couple of times.

FOOD: We mostly ate in the buffet except for one a la carte dinner at the Italian restaurant. No one goes (or should go) to Cuban resorts for the food, but I would say that the Pestana had the weakest food selection of the other resorts I've stayed at. My dad and brother lined up for pasta at dinner every day, and it was a VERY long wait. They ought to have two pasta chefs at least. The dinner at the Italian restaurant was probably everyone's favourite. The buffet doesn't open for lunch until 1, so my dad and brother would have pizza or burgers at the snack bar near the pool closer to 12. The service there was usually very slow and meals were not served to the table at the same time, so one person would finish before the other was served theirs.

I'm vegan and celiac and wasn't surprised to find that there was nothing for me to eat in the buffet except rice, a few veggies, and some fruit, and nothing at all at the a la cartes. I was prepared for this, though, and brought a lot of my own food.

The smoothie bar at breakfast in the buffet every morning was awesome, but again, usually a long wait.

DRINKS: The bartenders are some of the hardest-working people at the resort, and they were friendly and efficient and seemed to make a good effort to serve the people waiting longest in the right order. This was the case at all the bars: lobby, beach, pool, theatre.

SERVICE: The staff was incredibly warm and friendly as is typically the case in Cuba. Anytime you pass someone, they greet you with a smile and an "hola." The service in the buffet was generally pretty good, but we sometimes had to wait for a table to be cleared off when they were busy. The maids were also nice, but as mentioned above, they did not replace bathroom supplies.

BEACH: The beach was beautiful. As everyone else has said, you have to go to the right to get past the rocky parts, but it's not a big deal. And you do need to go early to get the blue beach chairs (the white chairs are uncomfortable and they should absolutely get rid of them and replace them with more blue chairs). I would say by 10 a.m., all the blue chairs were taken. We would go to the beach with our towels around 8:45 or so, one of the guys would get us chairs and clean them off, and we would leave our towels on them and head to breakfast.

POOL: The pool is huge and beautiful and quite shallow. It's easier to get chairs there than at the beach, but they do fill up. The music gets quite loud toward the afternoon, but you can choose chairs farther away from the speaker.

RESORT/COMMON AREAS: The women's bathrooms in the lobby, next to the buffet, at the beach bar, and at the Ranchon beach restaurant were constantly out of toilet paper in every stall. Also, many of the stalls did not have locks on them. This is really unacceptable.

The theatre bar was nice but the lobby bar was pretty depressing. It's a hole in the wall inside the lounge, which itself has a nice atmosphere, but the actual bar is just a box with dingy yellow walls. The bartenders were excellent, though, and would sometimes entertain the crowd while they were waiting for drinks.

The one and only thing I hate about staying in Cuba is that smoking is permitted everywhere (except the restaurants and buffet) and people do smoke everywhere. You can't get away from it. It would be nice if some common areas were designated non-smoking.

EVENINGS/ENTERTAINMENT: The shows were okay, but not amazing. I was expecting the same calibre of shows as the Melia and Memories, but was disappointed. The dancing and choreography weren't nearly as impressive and there was no show at all on New Year's Eve, just dancing. At midnight on NYE, there was lots of champagne, and earlier in the evening, they handed out bags with hats, masks, noisemakers, etc.

CHECKING OUT: While your bags are brought to your room for you when they arrive, they are not brought back to the lobby for you when you leave unless you call and request it. There's no charge for this, but be sure to tip the bellstaff, obviously.

Overall, we had a great holiday as we were lucky enough to have perfect weather the entire week. The beach and pool were great, and I hope management will take note of the issues mentioned and make improvements for future guests.

P.S. I ranked "room service" poor because I was referring to the maid not replenishing supplies. We didn't actually order room service (not sure if they even do that).

Dear Kerri M:
I see that in general he could enjoy the hotel HOWEVER experiemento some situations with the room and the service from the waitress, who shall see it with the head of the department, I see that as a vegetarian did not find many alternatives, sometimes in Cayo Coco we have experienced that not have many vegetables all the time. In the snack we made changes do not mean to be the solution but we are following up, regarding the bathrooms was solved, take time but here sometimes implements fail to repair things.
But overall I appreciate the constructive way of your comments and assure you that we are working to improve on what you indicated.

Director
Regina, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

I am a trip advisor addict and like to do as much research as possible before I go there. I read every review, looked at every picture and was so very excited to get to the Pestana from Dec. 26 - Jan. 2. I felt like I almost knew the people workjng there already and it was going to be great. I have been to Cuba before and knew that the food could be sub-par but the ocean and the Cuban friendliness would be the highlights. So, off we go with smiles on our faces, ready to have a great relaxing time at this brand new resort.

I'm so sorry to report that by the end of the trip we just wanted to go home already. My bf and I are easy going people who are happy go lucky who have patience and love to meet people, are very grateful and feel fortunate to be visitors to the Cubans. What we got was unfriendly, chip on your shoulder service from beginning to end. A few glitches here and there is expected, having to wait because it's busy is totally acceptable but that never happened, we were just plain ignored, were rude to and shut down totally in some cases. Why....I have no idea but it became wearing on a person time and time again throughout the day. Here are some of the situations we encountered and also the good which did shine through sometimes, but rarely.

*everything is new, which is nice. However the upkeep is not being done. I read a review a while ago that stated the purse hooks on the bathroom doors at the lobby bathroom were ripped off the walls and the locks don't work on the doors. Well the locks still don't work and the holes have been given a coat of mud but nothing more happened the entire week.

*reception is all grumpy. We didn't get a welcome drink (oh well no big deal) and we were greeted by one of the regular women that work reception, she's tall and slim with long hair and wears a yellow clip in her hair. Never a smile, never a hello, we weren't even greeted, she just looked at us with a blank miserable look on her face. I bounced over to her, smiling and saying hola and she just huffed around and got rid of us as fast as she could. We dealt with her many times on this trip and she was always miserable and made you feel very unwelcome. All of the staff we encountered at the desk were like this as well, whether you phone or went up to the desk. I called down one day to find out bus times because they said to check back because they couldn't find the bus schedule print out and the guy actually growled into the phone and then hung up on me. Speaking of hanging up, this happened many times when you called down to reception. The would answer grumpy then "transfer" you and then just hang up.

*rooms - we were the first people to stay in block 8 of the rooms. We had emailed earlier to ask for an ocean view. We were happy with the room as it gave the most ocean view possible but was only a sliver as there is a jungle in between the rooms and the ocean. It was a nice feeling to know no one had slept in the bed and there were a few glitches like the tv not working, deck door no locking, shower curtain rod falling etc. but that 's to be expected. What is kind of sad is that you can tell the resort purchase very expensive materials for the rooms like marble, nice tile, awesome 6' tubs etc. but the workmanship just isn't there. There was so much calking in that bathroom, to fill in the holes and mistakes it was a shame. You could tell there is going to be some water issues as the toilet caulking was already molding. Very nice room, bed are on the hard side and the pillows are rectangular pieces of foam, so go prepared.

*Cleaning staff - we didn't have our room cleaned one day and when we called down we were hung up on twice and once we finally got a hold of someone they said someone would be there right away but they never showed. We only got one bottle of water and 2 days they didn't leave us towels, which is weird because when I tracked down the cleaning lady she had some with her. To the management of the hotel...why don't you replace the water every day in the rooms instead of tying up the bar who has to fill the bottles and inconveniencing your guests????

*daytime animation team. There are plenty of members but they do very little. The one taller lady who speaks on the microphone all the time (she was the dancer for the phantom of the opera show at night) does nothing all day but sit at the pool bar and yell out the next activity. They are not outgoing or friendly, none of the activities are posted and they never engage people other than on the microphone. One of them that does stand out is Luiba (I thinks is her name) the 2 times I saw her she was friendly and sweet and nice...hats off to her.

*beach - as you've probably read, rocky to the left, sandy to the right and the water is beautiful. The beach barman that runs up and down all day serving drinks is awesome. He is the only one in the whole resort that is always smiling, happy and giving impressive service. The beach hut serving food wasn't always open every day and it would be nice if the times were posted and they were actually there. I went looking for the masseuse for the first 5 days because I was going to treat myself every single day and only found him the last 2 days, but it was worth it. $20 for neck, back, shoulders (30 mins) and $25 for full body (45 mins). I asked him to stretch it and give me an hour and he did...I gave him $40.

*Food - it isn't great but was good, only problem is that there was never ever enough. Every time we went it was always empty, empty, empty at the buffet. We would honestly scrape a little of the left over sauce and taste it and it was good but they would never bring anything out and when they did, I swear it was like birds on a crumb. People would flock to it and it would be gone in 30 seconds. So, in line we go for pasta or an omelet we go.....30 minute wait and everything is gone. Only selection is a little bit of left over onion for your omelet or red peppers in the pasta....very frustrating. The highlight of the whole buffet is the fresh bread but out of the 10 times we went, 9 of them there never ever was any butter. To the managdment....why don't you put someone in charge of keeping the cooks who are making pasta and eggs full of ingredients???? Also, it was frustrating because the cooks would come out of the kitchen and lean on a counter while there are 80% of the trays empty. Another note is that the sink the cooks have to wash their hands that is behind the lady who makes eggs in the morning, doesn't have soap. One morning she sneezed a handful into her and and then turned around and washed with just water.

Food at the Rancho (restaurant by pool). Ok, if you fix one thing, this is the one that needs it the most. EVERY SINGLE encounter was horrible. Here is an example. We walk into restaurant and sat down at a dirty table as there are none clean, it's 11:00am. We wait for 10 mins., no one approaches so I get a menu and go up and get us a drink. 10 mins later, I flag down the girl, she says, "ya, what do you want". I ask for pizza - it's going to be 20 mins because there are problems with the cook, we say ok. 30 mins later we ask if it's coming, she says sorry no pizza today, so we order poutine, we wait 20 mins. and then ask where it is, she says sorry no sauce for poutine, so we order just fries, 10 mins later we ask and she brings out a cheese sandwich and sets it down. We are just so stressed and hungry we just decide to eat it and ask for ketchup and a fork. She walks away and comes back without forks and says there is no ketchup. We got up and walked out.

Let me stress this is one of probably 5 interactions that ended up exactly the same.

Ala Carte - Let me say that the service in all three (Cuban, Italian and Mediterranean is awesome. The food in the Cuban was good but don't bother going to the Italian or Med. Yuck!! Oh and the deserts are kind of funny. All three restaurants have the same trio of desserts, just cut into different shapes.

Towel Hut. - When we arrived at the hotel I asked to pay for the towels cards right then. She told me I had to get them from the towel hut the next day, so the next day I go to the hut, she sends me back to the reception.........back and forth 6 times and had to explain to 4 different people. Finally I get our towels.

One day we were going to Pillar Beach and wanted dry towels, I went to the hut and walked up just as the girl closed the door (during the times they are to be open) I smiled and asked if she could exchange me towel, she just gives me a flat look and says, 'sorry, I have to go to reception' and walks away. The next day I go back and the hut isn't even open, I went to reception and there is another lady there inquiring about towels too and the grumpy tall girl at reception just shrugs her shoulders and tells us to come back tomorrow maybe. No offer to help, no effort and completely unfriendly.

Coffee bar - The week we were there, there was a lady and 2 men working there most of the time. The lady was fine, not overly friendly but would provide service. The man with the spiked hair was always rude. I asked for something similar to Bailey's to take to my room for coffee and he just kept staring at me and saying no, no, no. I told him that it was in the fridge behind him and he just walked away. The girl came and shook her head and got it out of the fridge and gave me some.

Now the second guy is even worse. This is one of 3 times he was rude to not only me but a whole bar length of people. I walked up and said hola, there was no one else there. I wait for a response but he just keeps drying coffee cups right in front of me. I wait 5 cups later, by then there are 4 more people there, I ask him for a drink and he just holds up his finger to indicate for me to wait and keeps drying. I wait for about another 30 seconds and the staff member lady who works at the bank with the dark hair walks up and he asks her what she wants. Me and three others leave. Just plain rudeness.

Gardeners - well we witnessed a lot of sitting around on benches, when you would say hola, they rarely replied. One time when we walked by one of them spat on the ground from the bench he was sitting on right behind us on the pavement.

Other staff seemed to lack supervision as well. On New Years we sat by the Lobby bathroom for about 3 hours, the entire time the cleaning lady never once left leaning on the cleaning cart just outside the bathroom and just read her book. The bathrooms didn't have toilet paper in 4 of the stalls, the toilet seats were dirty, mirrors were spotted same as they were 2 days before and the counters were full of water.

Other problems were related to lighting by buildings 7, 8 and 9. The little lights they have on the pathway were never working for the first 4 days at that end and then on the 5th day they were and they had a security guard sitting on the benches at night. Also the drivers of the little golf carts to get you and your luggage to and from your rooms were very inconsiderate. You had to get out of their way because they didn't stop or slow down for you. We almost got hit one night when we were coming out of our unlit building #8 when a cart with blaring lights took a corner.

To the Pestana Management, you need start observing your staff, start making mandatory rules for doing things and move that reception staff out of there, review after review says they are miserable. Make some drastic changes.

I am sad. I have chosen many places in the world to visit based on the trip advisor reviews and this one I got steered so wrong on. It is disappointing to spend your hard earned money, look forward to a great vacation, show up with a smile and for so many things to disappoint so many times every day.

To those reading this, if you get a crazy, amazing, fabulous deal...go because it's new and the beach is great, if you aren't, then go somewhere else.

Room Tip: Email management to request rooms.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear aniceecinaJ :
I appreciate taking the time to write your comments, you came because you saw the good comments we had but the week you visited our hotel It was fatal , it is true that the bathrooms had even damaged , but we eventually found the locks and doors were fixed. I regret what happened with reception and we will find a definite change . Building 8 is already operating well it was the day of the opening when you arrive like ypou mentioned, I like what you express about the animation, gardeners, snack bar staff , lack of supervision of areas and bathrooms .
I acknowledge that we had problems with towels because we have probñlems with our external service. At least the beach , which is good the service and it was remained during your stay .
The big problem I think was the food in most of the complaints of this week , and part of this was having 20% occupancy of the hotel with local people that destroyed everything they entered to the restaurant and took everything, crazy they returned to the bar, at the snack their orders were 6 patties per person and pizzas all at the same time and this made the services more engorged , besides the high occupancy . But now It is full but all controlled or at least always we have food .
I consider this the great occupation and the behavior of local people, over stressed our staff who were always smiling , they were overwhelmed by the demands of our people. But I promise that we will take care the next time. We do not have when the hotel is so full local people and if we have it will be in really smaller amounts.

Kingston, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

My husband and I and son travelled to Pastena from Dec 28-Jan4. First for the strengths: the shower in room, the beach and the bread. They also did a nice job with the New years celebrations. However we encountered many issues. First we were given a room that had two separate twin singe beds and a cot for my 16 year old son. We were also looking directly at two cranes and construction zone for new resort they are building right next door. We asked for a room with at least a king bed and a cot but were told there were no rooms but would be put on a list , we never heard back.

Room- beds very hard but overall room not bad. Biggest problem was not receiving towels or face cloths. We came back one day to no towels at all, when I called front desk they told me there were no clean towels in the entire resort!! My husband went to front desk to complain, after arguing with staff was initially told they would send towels up, we never received them!

Service- Overall service was horrible. We found all the staff to be quite rude and abrupt. It appeared they were so busy that they just could not cope with the volume of people. We had to wait long times for both bar service and food service.

Food-Was terrible. the line ups at the buffet were outrageous, my son waited up to 45 minutes to get anything hot from the grills. the food was usually cold and terrible on the buffet line. Once again it appeared they were not prepared for volume of people as they ran out of most things. The a la cartes were not much better. When we tried booking the 3 restaurants the first day the man told us we could not, we could book two but then have to try again later in the week for the 3rd restaurant, not sure why they did this but seemed an unnecessary inconvenience to us.

Beach- It is small but good, in fact better than the other three resorts on that stretch. the problem once again was space, it was so crowded that we were basically on top of each other with no privacy. My husband had to get up early every morning to go down and secure loungers. There is a guy on the beach that assists with this which is helpful.

Drinks- Disappointing, could rarely get a frozen drink anywhere, and most drinks served in small plastic cups. We did notice towards end of the week when people started to clear out that this improved and we got actual glasses. Wait times and service was poor however with few smiles from the bartenders.

Facilities- not great first impression when going to bathroom and finding no toilet paper in any of the bathrooms, and two of the 3 doors without locks. This continued throughout the week, holes in drywall, broken doors no toilet paper etc. Also cleanliness an issue as well.

Entertainment- This was actually pretty good most nights. Shows do not start until ( 9:45) and end by 10:30. Really nothing to do after show ends, my son found the resort pretty boring, not much to do. No pool tables, there is a ping pong table but that is it, A sports bar or other things like a disco, pool tables, casino etc would help.

We have travelled to Cuba many times and have to say this was the worst experience we had. We had never experienced such disorganization and rudeness before. It appeared that they were just not prepared for the volume of people and it seemed everything was a fight, from getting tables to eat, drinks, room service including basics like towels, beach space etc..I would not recommend this resort to anyone,

Room Tip: We were in #2, we did have an ocean view room but the two cranes were in front of us with lots of no...
Dear Guest:

I regret everything you experienced in our services and for our employees as we thought we were prepared, we never imagined these long lines specialy taken by local people, with this experience we have changed our policies, we learn more and more according to your feedback on everything we've failed. I appreciate the comment that the hotel is fine, there are good things and I assure you that we will improve based on this bad experience. You will see the commments next week

Luis Oñate
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

After reading all the reviews when I booked, I felt a little deceived when I arrived.

We stayed at Pestana Cayo Coco from Dec 28, 2013-Jan 4, 2014.

For starters, we had to wait 3 hours to check in as our room wasn't ready. We were told "one more hour" 3 times. When we were finally given our keys, the clerk just threw them over the counter. When I asked where our room was, she said she didn't know and had to ask another clerk. Not professional, especially for a resort chain with a reputation like Pestana.

While we were waiting, we tried to go to the 24-hour snack bar to order food. It took 45 minutes to get 2 hamburgers. I'm not exaggerating. Like the front desk, the server kept telling us "5 more minutes". Even drinks, which are pretty simple, took 10 minutes, and by that time, I had already walked up to the bar myself.

When we finally got to our room, our towels had a stain on them (not even a full set, by the way - we only got a full set of face, hand and body towels 2 days before we left). When I called the front desk, they said "ok" not acknowledging whether they even understood or were even sending any over. I went outside, the maid was in the hall way, and she told me she had no more towels. How does a brand new hotel run out of towels? After going to the front desk multiple times (and of course being asked to wait again), I asked to speak with a manager, and she took down our room number, but still, no towels after a few hours. I only got new towels after bringing the stained ones down (I've attached photos for proof) and threatening to show everyone in the lobby.

The buffet was a disaster, often unable to keep up, often running out of food, and long line ups at all the cooking stations. Each person had to stock their own station, so every time they ran out of food, the lines got even longer. With the exception of the guy who made eggs in the morning (who was the one of the only good employees at the whole resort), all the cook staff operated the grills at half capacity keeping the lines long. Tables staff couldn't keep up with setting tables, so we had to search the whole place to find a table with clean utensils.

The "a-la-carte" restaurants weren't any better. We waited 1.5 hours at the "Mediterranian" Restaurant for our food, despite arriving at our scheduled time. The food at the restaurants was in very small portions, and often was available at the buffet anyway. We didn't even bother booking the third after the reviews we heard from other guests about the "Italian" place.

The first morning, I asked Nando, the activities co-ordinator what was going on for New Year's Eve, and what was going on at night that week, to which he responded "All the activities, everyday" - I tried to rephase the question many times to no avail.

It seems they don't really have many activities going on/off the resort (unlike other resorts I've been to, where there's plenty of activities and the co-ordinators organize regular trips to local parties/clubs/concerts after the shows at the resort). All we ever saw was beach volleyball, some quick dance lessons, and a short water work-out. Pretty disappointing.

The beach wasn't well kept and rocky. Having been to Cayo Coco before (The Tryp) I expected a clean, smooth beach. I was a little disappointed by all the rocks and seaweed.

Overall, this was the worst resort experience I've ever had.

I highly suggest you avoid this resort. I've been to Cuba 2 other times (at other resorts) and the service was MUCH better elsewhere.

Room Tip: Rooms in building 2 are far from the beach, but closest to the main complex. The resort is pretty sm...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Estimated Pdipps:
I see the great dissatisfaction with their bad experience at the hotel and I understand it was a difficult week and do not deny that was the week that the hotel was full and if we experience delays and long lines.
This was overcome and we organize different, and again we have satisfied customers, as is our goal.
Unfortunately we wash the towels with an outside company and in those days, we had problems.
I appreciate the feed back and tell that I have met with the team and we are improving day by day.

Luis Manager
Midland, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

We are a family of four ( 47,46,21 and 13) and we stayed at the Pestana the week of Dec. 14-21. This was our fifth trip to Cuba and our first to Cayo Coco. We usually travel in April but took advantage of good prices and to try a new resort. We were not disapointed, the entire trip was great.
First the resort was new and everything was clean and easy to find ( everything is close with minimal distance between buildings. Rooms were always cleaned and tidy by noon by the wonderful maids.
Food was typical cuban fare but all meals at the buffet were good. The restaurants were also very good and the service was excellent all over the resort.
We got to know Yasmel very well and he does an excellent job, is very friendly, funny and we truly enjoyed our talks with him. Keep up the great work Yasmel.
The young waitress in the 24 hr.( daytime waitress) snack bar was also excellent, thinking of you and hoping all goes well with your sons minor operation.
Elizabeth-the great, friendly, bubbly and beautiful waitress in the lobby bar-you made our evenings better with your smile and excellent work.
To the waiter in the buffet who transferred to the snack bar just when we were leaving-thanks a million for your excellent service, our son will never forget the jokes you played on him.
The beach was truly amazing-we walked to the far right through the water to the farthest point and saw many starfish and other marine creatures.
Pool was warm and cleaned daily by staff-I can,t say enough about the great staff that kept the resort looking great everyday.
The very best part of our vacation was meeting two of the best famlies and friends we could ask for. These two families made each day more fun and our dinners more enjoyable. We will never forget our late, very late nights in the longe drinking and talking with all of you. Hoping we will stay in touch and get together soon-maybe even go back to Cuba together in the future.
Our only complaint was the small insect bites that some of received-not the resorts fault but maybe the time of year or area.
To management of Pestana-keep up the good work and pass along our thank-you's to your wonderful staff.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
MarketingCcs, Director General at Pestana Cayo Coco Beach Resort, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
Dear Vaughn B:

I see by your comments that you delighted by the hotel and all the facilities, food, bars and service you received, I will send your regards to Yasmel and Elizabeth who were part of that you were happy with the hotel.
I hope you returns soon to our hotel Pestana Cayo Coco.

director

Been to Pestana Cayo Coco Beach Resort? Share your experiences!