“Needs lots of work!!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Pestana Cayo Coco Beach Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Cayo Coco
Pestana Cayo Coco Beach Resort
Carretera a Cayo Guillermo, Km 9, 69400, Cuba   |
Ranked #7 of 11 hotels in Cayo Coco
Kingston, Canada
“Needs lots of work!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

My husband and I and son travelled to Pastena from Dec 28-Jan4. First for the strengths: the shower in room, the beach and the bread. They also did a nice job with the New years celebrations. However we encountered many issues. First we were given a room that had two separate twin singe beds and a cot for my 16 year old son. We were also looking directly at two cranes and construction zone for new resort they are building right next door. We asked for a room with at least a king bed and a cot but were told there were no rooms but would be put on a list , we never heard back.

Room- beds very hard but overall room not bad. Biggest problem was not receiving towels or face cloths. We came back one day to no towels at all, when I called front desk they told me there were no clean towels in the entire resort!! My husband went to front desk to complain, after arguing with staff was initially told they would send towels up, we never received them!

Service- Overall service was horrible. We found all the staff to be quite rude and abrupt. It appeared they were so busy that they just could not cope with the volume of people. We had to wait long times for both bar service and food service.

Food-Was terrible. the line ups at the buffet were outrageous, my son waited up to 45 minutes to get anything hot from the grills. the food was usually cold and terrible on the buffet line. Once again it appeared they were not prepared for volume of people as they ran out of most things. The a la cartes were not much better. When we tried booking the 3 restaurants the first day the man told us we could not, we could book two but then have to try again later in the week for the 3rd restaurant, not sure why they did this but seemed an unnecessary inconvenience to us.

Beach- It is small but good, in fact better than the other three resorts on that stretch. the problem once again was space, it was so crowded that we were basically on top of each other with no privacy. My husband had to get up early every morning to go down and secure loungers. There is a guy on the beach that assists with this which is helpful.

Drinks- Disappointing, could rarely get a frozen drink anywhere, and most drinks served in small plastic cups. We did notice towards end of the week when people started to clear out that this improved and we got actual glasses. Wait times and service was poor however with few smiles from the bartenders.

Facilities- not great first impression when going to bathroom and finding no toilet paper in any of the bathrooms, and two of the 3 doors without locks. This continued throughout the week, holes in drywall, broken doors no toilet paper etc. Also cleanliness an issue as well.

Entertainment- This was actually pretty good most nights. Shows do not start until ( 9:45) and end by 10:30. Really nothing to do after show ends, my son found the resort pretty boring, not much to do. No pool tables, there is a ping pong table but that is it, A sports bar or other things like a disco, pool tables, casino etc would help.

We have travelled to Cuba many times and have to say this was the worst experience we had. We had never experienced such disorganization and rudeness before. It appeared that they were just not prepared for the volume of people and it seemed everything was a fight, from getting tables to eat, drinks, room service including basics like towels, beach space etc..I would not recommend this resort to anyone,

Room Tip: We were in #2, we did have an ocean view room but the two cranes were in front of us with lots of no...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
MarketingCcs, Director General at Pestana Cayo Coco Beach Resort, responded to this review, January 8, 2014
Dear Guest:

I regret everything you experienced in our services and for our employees as we thought we were prepared, we never imagined these long lines specialy taken by local people, with this experience we have changed our policies, we learn more and more according to your feedback on everything we've failed. I appreciate the comment that the hotel is fine, there are good things and I assure you that we will improve based on this bad experience. You will see the commments next week

Luis Oñate

504 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

After reading all the reviews when I booked, I felt a little deceived when I arrived.

We stayed at Pestana Cayo Coco from Dec 28, 2013-Jan 4, 2014.

For starters, we had to wait 3 hours to check in as our room wasn't ready. We were told "one more hour" 3 times. When we were finally given our keys, the clerk just threw them over the counter. When I asked where our room was, she said she didn't know and had to ask another clerk. Not professional, especially for a resort chain with a reputation like Pestana.

While we were waiting, we tried to go to the 24-hour snack bar to order food. It took 45 minutes to get 2 hamburgers. I'm not exaggerating. Like the front desk, the server kept telling us "5 more minutes". Even drinks, which are pretty simple, took 10 minutes, and by that time, I had already walked up to the bar myself.

When we finally got to our room, our towels had a stain on them (not even a full set, by the way - we only got a full set of face, hand and body towels 2 days before we left). When I called the front desk, they said "ok" not acknowledging whether they even understood or were even sending any over. I went outside, the maid was in the hall way, and she told me she had no more towels. How does a brand new hotel run out of towels? After going to the front desk multiple times (and of course being asked to wait again), I asked to speak with a manager, and she took down our room number, but still, no towels after a few hours. I only got new towels after bringing the stained ones down (I've attached photos for proof) and threatening to show everyone in the lobby.

The buffet was a disaster, often unable to keep up, often running out of food, and long line ups at all the cooking stations. Each person had to stock their own station, so every time they ran out of food, the lines got even longer. With the exception of the guy who made eggs in the morning (who was the one of the only good employees at the whole resort), all the cook staff operated the grills at half capacity keeping the lines long. Tables staff couldn't keep up with setting tables, so we had to search the whole place to find a table with clean utensils.

The "a-la-carte" restaurants weren't any better. We waited 1.5 hours at the "Mediterranian" Restaurant for our food, despite arriving at our scheduled time. The food at the restaurants was in very small portions, and often was available at the buffet anyway. We didn't even bother booking the third after the reviews we heard from other guests about the "Italian" place.

The first morning, I asked Nando, the activities co-ordinator what was going on for New Year's Eve, and what was going on at night that week, to which he responded "All the activities, everyday" - I tried to rephase the question many times to no avail.

It seems they don't really have many activities going on/off the resort (unlike other resorts I've been to, where there's plenty of activities and the co-ordinators organize regular trips to local parties/clubs/concerts after the shows at the resort). All we ever saw was beach volleyball, some quick dance lessons, and a short water work-out. Pretty disappointing.

The beach wasn't well kept and rocky. Having been to Cayo Coco before (The Tryp) I expected a clean, smooth beach. I was a little disappointed by all the rocks and seaweed.

Overall, this was the worst resort experience I've ever had.

I highly suggest you avoid this resort. I've been to Cuba 2 other times (at other resorts) and the service was MUCH better elsewhere.

Room Tip: Rooms in building 2 are far from the beach, but closest to the main complex. The resort is pretty sm...
Estimated Pdipps:
I see the great dissatisfaction with their bad experience at the hotel and I understand it was a difficult week and do not deny that was the week that the hotel was full and if we experience delays and long lines.
This was overcome and we organize different, and again we have satisfied customers, as is our goal.
Unfortunately we wash the towels with an outside company and in those days, we had problems.
I appreciate the feed back and tell that I have met with the team and we are improving day by day.

Luis Manager
Midland, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

We are a family of four ( 47,46,21 and 13) and we stayed at the Pestana the week of Dec. 14-21. This was our fifth trip to Cuba and our first to Cayo Coco. We usually travel in April but took advantage of good prices and to try a new resort. We were not disapointed, the entire trip was great.
First the resort was new and everything was clean and easy to find ( everything is close with minimal distance between buildings. Rooms were always cleaned and tidy by noon by the wonderful maids.
Food was typical cuban fare but all meals at the buffet were good. The restaurants were also very good and the service was excellent all over the resort.
We got to know Yasmel very well and he does an excellent job, is very friendly, funny and we truly enjoyed our talks with him. Keep up the great work Yasmel.
The young waitress in the 24 hr.( daytime waitress) snack bar was also excellent, thinking of you and hoping all goes well with your sons minor operation.
Elizabeth-the great, friendly, bubbly and beautiful waitress in the lobby bar-you made our evenings better with your smile and excellent work.
To the waiter in the buffet who transferred to the snack bar just when we were leaving-thanks a million for your excellent service, our son will never forget the jokes you played on him.
The beach was truly amazing-we walked to the far right through the water to the farthest point and saw many starfish and other marine creatures.
Pool was warm and cleaned daily by staff-I can,t say enough about the great staff that kept the resort looking great everyday.
The very best part of our vacation was meeting two of the best famlies and friends we could ask for. These two families made each day more fun and our dinners more enjoyable. We will never forget our late, very late nights in the longe drinking and talking with all of you. Hoping we will stay in touch and get together soon-maybe even go back to Cuba together in the future.
Our only complaint was the small insect bites that some of received-not the resorts fault but maybe the time of year or area.
To management of Pestana-keep up the good work and pass along our thank-you's to your wonderful staff.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
MarketingCcs, Director General at Pestana Cayo Coco Beach Resort, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
Dear Vaughn B:

I see by your comments that you delighted by the hotel and all the facilities, food, bars and service you received, I will send your regards to Yasmel and Elizabeth who were part of that you were happy with the hotel.
I hope you returns soon to our hotel Pestana Cayo Coco.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

My boyfriend and I travelled to the Pestana from December 21 - 28th.
LOBBY AREA
It was beautiful and modern. This is where everyone convenes in the evening/night for drinks and chatting. They have 2 bars here and many servers, so I found even thought it was a busy time of year you barely had to wait at all. We did tip the waiters and bartenders which seemed to be enough for them to accomodate any requests we had. Just try to remember that, yes, you paid a grand to get there, but a couple dollars here and there changes their day, week, month. They often had live entertainment after the dinner hours, but I don't know if that's special because it was the holidays. The evening shows were good. We saw 2 of them. The juggler was amazing. I forget what show he was a part of.... maybe the magic show. The Cuban show with the live band was very good.
THE POOL
We didn't sit around the pool very much...only later in the afternoon for the last hour of sunlight. There was always enough chairs. They didn't have too many annoying activities or drunken competitions going on. I know some people mentioned they would like MORE from the animation team, but I think less is more people! If you're there to relax, you'll get that at this resort.
THE BEACH
It's beautiful. You can walk a long way. There was always enough chairs. They have the odd beach volleyball game going on, fitness in the water, dancing etc. It's shallow and the water is super clear.
THE FOOD
Obviously it's Cuba and their not going to have the best of the best selection / ingredients, but they make do. The pasta bar was great. This is what we ate most nights. Sometimes they had sauteed onions and garlic! That is rare in Cuba. And they have hot sauce too...also rare. They had fresh made bread all the time....if you are super picky, who doesn't love fresh bread?!?!
ROOMS
Very nice and clean room. The shower water pressure is amazing. We were in building 6 which was no more than 300 steps to the beach and 300 steps to the pool, but any building from 1-6 are close. 7-8 are further away.
THE STAFF
Everyone was kind, smiling and courteous. We had many great conversations with the staff here and they were always so so nice to talk with. I brought packs of pencils, pencil crayons, cream / soap, t-shirts etc. to hand out...
EXCURSIONS
We tried to book the Havana airplane tour with Rene (Holasun), but he lied about speaking with his friend and telling us he could get us there and then the next day said it was booked. He should have never made the statement that he was able to get us on the plane until he confirmed it because I was trying to make it a Christmas present and it didn't work out :(
We took a day catamaran trip with stopped twice to snorkel and once at Pilar Beach. This trip was great. There were a lot of fish to see. Pilar beach had super fun waves to jump in.

My complaint lies with the snack bar (as I read many, many reviews have already mentioned). Something needs to be done here by the management. It's almost like you step into a different resort!!! The staff is terrible here. It would almost make me not go back just based on how rude they are. Everyone's reviews about slow to no service and missing menu items are accurate. We just gave up and left -- more than once. Terrible.
There is no disco, which was no problem for us because we don't care for it. They keep the music going in the lobby area pretty late and people were dancing by the bar.

Hope this helps!

Room Tip: Rooms from block 1-6 are closer. 7 and 8 are away from the action.
Dear Poolshark2679:

I appreciate your comment that helps us work better, I see you enjoy your vacation, you liked the hotel and the good service of our staff, I see that I take the beach, pool and your complaint is about the snack that was recognize our main problem, I assure you that we take this action and I thank you for calling attention.
We hope you return to our hotel Pestana Cayo Coco.

Luis
London, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

Arriving Dec 15- Dec 23 for my 3rd trip to Cuba and a first for my girlfriend.
Room: Our 3rd floor room in block 6 was a good size with a large balcony and small flat-screen TV. The ocean view we asked for was disappointing as we could only see a sliver of the ocean. The fridge was filled with 2 large water bottles which when finished needed to be refilled when empty.

Food: The *Ranchon right beside our block and closest to the beach would mainly serve rice, hot dogs, burgers, chicken and stale potato chips. The *main diner was quite nice for both lunch and dinner but the selection of food never really changed throughout our week. Breakfast 7:30-10 was great unless coming later around 9:30 when less was available and the workers were more rushed (not cooking our eggs thoroughly). The *snarkbar served pizza, sandwiches(ham, turkey, chicken) along with hot dogs, french-fries, omelets and hamburgers. The service here was awful, hot dogs were awful along with the sandwiches. The only thing we ended up ever ordering was fries.

Activities: Ping-Pong table was warped, the ball was dented and the racquets were awful. Tennis, basketball/soccer and the gym were in great shape. Quality equipment in the gym, the weights on the dumbbell rack did not go very high along with the bench press. After dinner the tennis court was all lit up beautifully but equipment was not available.

Beach: was rocky in some spots but was very beautiful! You could walk both ways for hours to more sandy areas. water was warmer than the pool.

Resort: buildings were nicely built, plants looked very beautiful and colorful! The pool was a good temperature and always clean. The lobby was very beautiful and the lobby bar provided great service. At night the lobby bar was all lit up and often a man playing the piano was found. The entire resort was lit up at night, including the front fountain, pool and board walk to the beach.

As a younger couple, dishing out tips at every given opportunity was not realistic and we could tell this affected the way we were treated around the resort when it came to service.
We had great overall trip

Room Tip: Emailing management prior to your visit will increase your chances of receiving ocean view.
Dear Darren345:

I appreciate your comments and generally enjoy the hotel, the lobby bar, the beach, pool, just the food especially the snack was not anything special, I tell him that we are already seeing this and sure comments must improve.
I hope to come back and see what we have worked.

London, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

Our vacations at Pestana was from Dec.14 to Dec.21 2013
It was our 4th time in Cuba, but first in Cayo Coco. People in Cuba are very friendly, especially in Cayo Coco.
The resort is a short bus ride from the airport - 10-15 min.
At the resort, front desk staff was professional and friendly.
We were very impressed with the resorts beautiful new buildings with nice big swimming pool and beautiful flowers and plants all over the resort thanks to the gardeners.
The place is very clean and beautiful with a white sandy beach.
Our room (2117), was nice and big with balcony on the first flour. Every day the made decorated our bed with flowers and towel sculptures, thank you very much.
We rented car at the resort and went to closest town and had a good time.
The food at the resort was very good, lots of fruit and specially my favourite guava. You have to taste all baking goodies - yumee. At the bar you can also order food and drinks, try the Pestana specialty drink - delicious.
We left a note with the front desk staff and they were gracious in allowing our Cuban friends to come and visit us in the resort.
Thank you very much to the General Director and Staff at the Pestana for working diligently to make sure our vacations was enjoyable and safe.
We are definitely coming back to the Pestana later this year with our family and friends.
God bless you all and all the best in 2014!
Luba F.

Room Tip: Our room faced away from the resort providing quiet comfort as well as sun on the balcony all day
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
MarketingCcs, Director General at Pestana Cayo Coco Beach Resort, responded to this review, January 12, 2014
Dear Luba:

I appreciate your comments and know that you enjoyed the flowers, the figures that your maid made for you and the details of our employees in the bar at the restaurant, we are here to serve you and we hope you come back soon.
We thank all presents for Christmas that you brought to the staff they are always appreciated. Here in Cuba there is love and desire to please, God continue to bless you.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014 via mobile

First off, I am a 28 year old male who traveled with my girlfriend and 4 friends aged 24-34 years-old between Dec 28 and Jan 4. I think if all you want to do is sit down and relax by the pool or beach it's a great place to be. However, if you are looking to do things and have a great time (not necessarily party), it may not be your cup of tea. Here are my thoughts categorized to make it easier to read:

Facility:
- New facility, very beautiful lobby auditorium, and bedrooms.
- the gym was above average for a resort and had above average cardio equipment. Unfortunately it was closed at 5pm.
- basketball and tennis court were also above average, however you are unable to borrow a ball or racket past 5pm.

Entertainment:

- animation team was brutal. Every now and then I would hear them on the mic inviting people to do things, but they did very little to walk around and interact with guests.
- there appeared to be no activities on the resort due to very low participation numbers. Better advertisement of resort activities would have helped as the sheet of paper was hidden under an ornament on the front desk
- entertainers were no doubt talented in their style of dance as evident by their performance for the New Years show. The guy juggling was amazing! However, the rest of the shows were very amateur in my opinion. That being said, my opinion on the said topic may be a tad biased due to the fact my girlfriend is a performer.

Food:

- The grilled seafood and meat section was delicious (although often slightly overcooked), but average wait times for the food was 20-30 mins. That's way too long for thin pieces of meat and fish. I would recommend cooking most of the meats and fish all at once and serving as is unless asked otherwise
- fruits and vegetables were often unripe
- deserts did not taste good at all
- I loved the Cuban a la carte menu, the Mediterranean menu was above average, but the buffet was just average. It lacked variety and the mashed potatoes were too watery
- the fresh bread was great though!
- 24 hour snack bar was flat out brutal. Food availability was not as stated on the menu and the servers were terrible (except for this one amazing server who was polite, fast, and efficient).

Service:
- Bartender Osmand was AMAZING! Always quick with the orders, wished me a happy new year, and even remembered my name.
- our cleaning lady Yamisely was also amazing. She went out of her way to wish my girlfriend a happy birthday and even wrote us a thank you note
- our servers at the Cuban and Mediterranean restaurants were also very very good.
- now for everything else... staff should make it a point to smile and offer help more often without the expectation of a tip. Resort seemed to be understaffed especially at the snack bar and buffet.
- I was working out in the gym, needed to use the washroom, but it was locked. I was informed by the attendant to use the women's one instead. A few minutes later, the male washroom was opened and coincidentally a male staff member and female guest appeared.
- Servers should be the first to make eye contact and should make it a priority to acknowledge guests and take down orders rather than clean off some tables. I sat down patiently one afternoon to order fries and a burger and waited 30 mins only for my food not to show up. On another occasion I waited 10 mins before finally being acknowledged by the server. Yes I timed it with my stopwatch. Worst part was that a chick in a bikini who came way later than I did got service first.
- unqualified staff should not be offering spinal adjustments to anyone.

Overall:

It's a great looking resort, but I would only recommend it to someone if they want to spend most of their time relaxing and don't mind waiting for their food. The new years party was great and I appreciate the party gifts. Unfortunately, the service and food were way too poor for me to forget. Hopefully, it isn't always like this.

• Stayed January 2014
MarketingCcs, Director General at Pestana Cayo Coco Beach Resort, responded to this review, January 5, 2014
Dear MarkFFS:

I appreciate your comments and highlight various aspects of the hotel, and highlight the work of some workers as Osmand, Yamisely and staff of the specialty restaurants.
About the problems you experiment in animation, snack and I'll be working with my team on it. It was a week out of the ordinary and assure you that we already have improved the pace and in the service in general , now all I see is the snack as my goal to improve, because I feel I got to work more close with the A&B manager to solve this inmediatly.

Director.

Been to Pestana Cayo Coco Beach Resort? Share your experiences!