“Great Time” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Playa Coco

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Cayo Coco
Hotel Playa Coco
You added Hotel Playa Coco to your Saves list
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Carretera Cayo Guillermo, Cayo Coco, Moron | Jardines del Rey, Cuba   |
Ranked #8 of 10 Hotels in Cayo Coco
Montreal, Canada
“Great Time”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014

(We traveled Feb 16-24)
This resort was beautiful, the set up was nice, all of the rooms are in individual buildings built around the resort so the pool, the buffet and activities are inside the middle of it.. No matter where your room is located you are pretty central to everything. Our room was located just near the pool and from our back balcony we could see a little bit of the beach, room was clean.

Weather was beautiful! Hot days everyday, hardly no rain. The beach is beautiful and located right on the resort so you don't have to walk far- lots of activities and games, the staff was super nice and helpful. The bartenders and waiters really go out of their way to serve you- Tip them just 1$ cuban cuc peso and they'll take care of you the whole trip. Find Jorge, he's great.

Food is meh, but thats cuba for you- if you want good food, do not go to cuba. Simple as that. However the snack bar and beach grill made really good burgers, hot dogs, grilled cheese, grilled ham and cheese etc. The a la Cartes are okay- Check out the japanese restaurant, they give you little sushis and do the hibachi concept, it was fun.

Other than the fact that as we were leaving, our air conditioner had broke and leaked in the bathroom and flooded causing us to lose power; This trip was absolutely memorable and would definitely go back.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Dianak26,
I would like to say thank you for taking a minute of your personal time to write your opinions about Playa Coco Hotel on Tripadvisor, and let the world know about your experiences here. I already let all my staff know about this and they feel very happy because they worked hard but had very good results, as they expected. We sincerely hope to see you again!!
Kind Regards,
Playa Coco Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (277)
Montreal, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

The bedroom was smelling terribly like mold. We were there for 7 days, arriving on Friday. On the day after we arrived, I requested an extra pillow to help sleeping on the extremely uncomfortable bed. After requesting 3 more times for the pillow, I finally received it: On Wednesday!!!!
We also noticed that our towels were not changed after 4 days. We put the towels on the floor to make sure they would replace them with new ones, and I was horrified to know that after the room service was done, they put back the towels that were ON THE FLOOR in the towel hook for us to use them again! Only after calling the front desk 3 times after that we had our towels replaced. We also killed two roaches in the bedroom, and some spiders.
We were not expecting too much about the food, it was a range for terrible to just OK. Avoid the restaurants "a la carte", the buffet was a little better. The only thing good about the place was the beach, but only if you are going with a family looking for nothing else to do other than stay in the resort. We usually like to explore the area and there was not much too see around.

Room Tip: First floor rooms smells terribly
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Hiram V, General Manager at Hotel Playa Coco, responded to this review, March 16, 2014
Sear JuBeachGirl,
I really appreciate your comments about your staying at Playa Coco Hotel and, it is no so comforting to know that you had such a bad experience here but I want to say thank you for taking a minute of your time to write about us.
Mississauga, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2014

Travel time: mid February 2014 for a week. This was our second trip in Cuba. The room was fantastic: ocean view - at level 2 at the building. We were a party of 4 (which includes 2 children: around 10 years old). Did snorkeling a few times a day. They had a few places (snack bars, grill stations) where the kids could eat things like during the day: hamburgers, cheese and ham sandwiches with fries. The hours at the buffet were flexible enough for us (breakfast from 7:30 to 10:30; lunch from noon to 14:30 and dinner from 6:30 to 9:45 pm). The a-la-carte restaurants were good: we tried and enjoyed the Italian and the Japanese ones. The staff was helpful and would do anything they can to accommodate you. We found good food to eat every time we went to the buffet. The Beer Garden worked well for us. They even have an ice-cream place - the kids absolutely loved it. The beach is beautiful (something you expect from Cayo Coco). The rooms are spacious. The bathroom is of a good size.The balcony allowed us to enjoy the ocean breeze and the ocean view. I enjoyed swimming in the ocean and in the pool. The pool with the swim-up bar were a good place for us and the kids to have fun. We didn't have any problems in this trip, everything went smoothly. The kids would like to go back to this very place next year and I would too.

Room Tip: If you can, try to get an ocean-view room in the pink or yellow building, level 2 or 3
Dear Cal-Pal-7,
On behalf of all the staff that work here at Playa Coco Hotel, I would like to say thank you for choosing our resort to spend your vacations and for writing such a good comments of all services that you received here and above all because all our personnel was so nice and friendly with you. We will work hard to make your next stay nicer than this one!
Kind Regards,
Toronto, Ontario
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014

We stayed at this hotel in January 2013 ( I had to pick March to submit the review). It was rated exceptionally high on more than travel review website-do not believe the reviews. It was by far the worst vacation we've ever taken. We are the type of couple that has realistic expectations when traveling. This was not our first trip to Cuba. The resort was filthy. The food was terrible, the service was terrible. There were no beach towels available at all. The table cloths in the buffet area were never cleaned so stains from breakfast were still there at lunch and stains from lunch were still there at dinner. The bugs were unreal.

We wanted to change resorts when we found out what the real deal was, but we couldn't due to our tour operator restrictions. So this is what we did to bridge any gaps:

We brought our own toilet paper because many reported the resort not having any or just overall poor cleanliness in the rooms. Good move on our part. Bring an eight roll pack.

We packed our own towels and good thing we did because we used our own towels for 7 days. I saw people using shirts as towels. Just awful.

We packed lysol wipes and we are not neat freaks in our non-vacation lives. But we heard such bad things about hygiene that we thought it would be a good idea and it was.

Do not forget your insect repellant. I cannot stress this enough. They are not normal bug bites. People had huge red welts and bumps on their bodies.

Bring dry packaged food with you. Granola Bars, chips, etc. Also, peanut butter. What I would have given for some PB and Jam.

The line ups at the buffet for the food stations are crazy. They have 1 person cooking one portion at a time. I'm not exaggerating when I say you can be waiting for 45 min for pasta. We economized our time by sharing everything. He would go get pasta, I would go get something else, etc. This way it was one trip for food.

The snack bar by the beach is just bad. Stay away, no need to eat raw hot dogs. The staff ignore you anyway.

Bring thermal cups for drinks. They give small plastic glasses that resemble largish dixie cups.

Better yet, don't go here at all and save your well earned money for a nicer place.

Room Tip: we were in the blue building, but that's not saying much
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Hiram V, General Manager at Hotel Playa Coco, responded to this review, February 23, 2014
Dear LieBak,
I would like to say thank you for taking your time and write about our resort and your stay here, although I disagree with all your comments and opinions. We didn´t know you were having such a bad experience here; otherwise we had taken actions to change your mind. We are very proud of all the staff we have here, they are really hard working and bring a very good service according with the opinions of the majority of our guests. We feel really sorry for all the inconveniences you had during your stay. We work really hard as a family to make this hotel succeed

Hiram Valle Simón
Stratford, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

Trip: February 09 to 15, 2014
This is going to be a long, honest review, as I want everyone to have a clear picture of this hotel. We were a family of 6 and 2 of us have been to Cuba several times. We would have to rate this hotel as average for Cuba. The only reason why this hotel would not get a high recommendation from us would be the rooms. We had to switch from the blue (8000 block) to the pink (6000 block), because my mother has a walker and the blue was too far away from everything. Also, in the blue, when I went to take a shower, the handle came off in my hand and I got locked in the bathroom, as the door handle was broken. The view out the back patio was not pretty! Once we were in the pink though, we were quite happy. The first floor patios were just behind a small quiet pool and there is a bar right there. The only problem was that it was difficult to get the toilet to flush completely, the air conditioner was noisy and the shower streamed against the wall, so there was very little water actually coming out of the shower head. I could have brought this to their attention, but I lived with it. My sister's room had mold on the ceiling, but they came right away and sprayed it with bleach and then a few hours later came and painted over it. However, by the end of the week it was back. We think they have a water leakage somewhere and it must have been pretty bad, as the room that separated my sisters from us was closed and being renovated.

The buffet was typical Cuban. We had some very good meals and some adequate meals. There is always something for everyone, as it is such a large buffet - so, we cannot fault the food (it was nice and fresh). The Japanese restaurant was fantastic! We all loved it! The Italian and Seafood left a lot to be desired and I think with a little training the chefs could improve the quality of the dishes a great deal (they have all the ingredients, just not the know-how). We had been looking forward to the lobster, but it was like chewing on leather (either cooked way too long, or cooked and frozen and reheated). However, there is also an ice-cream parlour which we all loved and a beer garden where you can get yummy tacos, fries, and ham and cheese sandwiches (or ham, or cheese, or cheese and ham or grilled ham or grilled cheese...) at all hours. The grill by the beach was also very good - yum! The pizza in the restaurant by the beach was also tasty.

The staff were fantastic!!!!! Everyone was so nice and accommodating. Roy at the small pool bar was great! We just can't say enough about how wonderful the Cubans are - they made our experience that much more enjoyable. Everyone at the hotel, from check in to check out were so friendly- no matter where they worked at the resort.

The beach was lovely. It was so nice to be able to take long walks, go shelling, to snorkel (fish pretty but no bright coral at the hotel), or to just lie on the beach and watch the waves. There were the usual chair hogs that stake out their chairs before 7 a.m. and expect to keep them all day, but when we moved chairs to take their spots (after observing that the spaces remained empty for long periods) we never ran into any confrontations. There was also plenty of room at the pools. Towels were also plentiful.

The excursion to Ciego de Avila and Moron was excellent. It ended with a spectacular boat ride through a virgin mangrove jungle. We would highly recommend it. It's a full day that included a typical Cuban lunch. It really gives you a taste of Cuba, not just a resort perspective.

The evening shows were entertaining and the performers were talented. The aquatic show at the pool was especially beautiful. After the show, it was fun to shoot some pool at the disco. Even if the disco was not open, the doors are not locked, so it's still possible to enjoy the pool table.

We never had any problems changing our money to pesos. We would recommend bringing money to tip with - the service is so excellent and the people so deserving!

All in all, we really enjoyed our stay at Playa Coco, and if the rooms were upgraded and the chefs had more training, we would certainly have given it a higher rating. In all honesty, we would probably not return to this hotel (it's a little tired and we learned from out tour guide that it is the oldest along the strip of hotels - there is a reason why it is rated 8 of 11). That said, we can't thank the staff enough for the wonderful memories we will have of our family vacation - it is the staff that made this trip a happy one!

We also wish we could have packed some of the warmth and sunshine and brought it back with us - sigh! Remember too, a trip is what you make of it. If you hang on to your negativity throughout your trip, you will not appreciate what the staff and beautiful location have to offer.

Room Tip: We heard that rooms on one side of the resort (those with ocean view were renovated and very nice...
Dear Ellen C,
Thank you so much for the way you stated your opinions on Tripadvisor pages, I feel that you have been very honest and let all thje world know your family experiences while vacationing in Playa Coco Hotel. I would appreciate if you and your family change your mind and visit us in the future, we will be at your disposal to make of your holidays an unforgettable experience.
Kind regards,
Welland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014

We have been to Cuba over a dozen times and to Cayo Coco 4 times but this is the first time to this resort.
Would not go back!!!!
Good & Bad
Good- We loved the beach, the food was good in the buffet compared to many resorts in Cuba! The pool area was nice but the water was cold. Most of the staff was very nice.
The a la cartes were all very good. We enjoyed the seafood the best.
The staff in the lobby bar were great. Good coffee in the mornings in the lobby bar as well.
BAD!-The first night we arrived late and were put in building 8. Could not see much because it was dark but I woke up with a hell of a migraine! Went for breakfast and upon returning to my room took a wrong turn and had to walk around the front of the building. The bottom floor was not being used and could see inside the unused units MOLD growing up the walls. That did it for me. I am allergic! We were a group of 6 in 3 rooms all in the same building! We went to the front desk and asked to be moved to another building because it was making me sick! We were told they could move me and my husband to another building , but that was the only other room they had. When I insisted they find other rooms or we wanted to move to another resort they found one more room. However, the new rooms which were in building 8 were not much better but at least tolerable. Our other friends were to moved the next day. When shown their new room the next day ( which was on the other side of building 8) they refused it because it was worse than their original room. These rooms in these buildings are only used during high season and are not kept up at all. We spent as little time as possible in our rooms for the rest of the week!
The guests that we talked to in buildings 2,3,4, &5 did not have any problems with mold at all and were unaware of the problems that we were experiencing. They also informed us that their buildings were not full , so we wonder why we weren’t put there when they found out I had an allergy to mold. I really have not been well since I came home.
Also there was never any hot water or water pressure at all. This was an issue resort wide!
One day the maid made towel animals on our beds with dirty towels. Not sure if they were even our dirty towels. When I phoned and complained to the front desk to have them replaced, they never were until I brought them down when we went for supper and politely demanded clean ones in our room when we returned.
Most of the staff was pretty good but some had an attitude problem.
Don’t get used to just drinking one drink because the next time you go to the bar they will probably be out of it and it may not be replaced for a few days. This kept happening with amaretto for us.
In the lobby there are so many finger prints on all the glass , you do not want to touch anything. Make sure you bring hand sanitizer.
All in all we made it a good trip because we were out of the -30 weather here in southern Ontario but would never go back to this resort again.

Room Tip: Stay in 2,3,4,&5 and you will not get MOLD (much)
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Dear chilipepperWelland,
I would like to say thank you for your honest opinions about your stay at Playa Coco Hotel, though your vacations were not as you had expected, and we really feel sorry about that because our main goal is to fulfill all our guests expectations and needs, and in your case we couldn´t do it the right way, and as you have stated in your opinions the worst part for us is the fact that we are not having you in the future to correct all the errors we had!
Regards,
Edmonton, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014

We stayed at this resort from Feb 5 - Feb 12, 2014.We were a family of 4, we have 2 children ages 3 & 9. It is classified as a 4 star , but should be a 2 star. We arrived in the evening and were checked in quickly, it was down hill from there. We were checked in to the Green Bldg on the main floor backing onto a marsh. This was our 1st room of 3 on the first night. 1st room had a toad, was not cleaned and the toilet did not flush. We were then moved to a 2nd room in the green bldg which had cockroaches,mirror was completed faded and toilet did not flush. The 3rd room was in the Blue building which also had cockroaches, no working toilet, but was clean.At this point we had to stay in this room. Our room was not cleaned once the entire stay, only the beds made with swan towels. The resort was run down, not clean and the food was terrible except for the one al a carte Japanese restaurant and the beach bar. The resort staff had our 9 yr old daughter get her pizza and fish on a stick throughout the day because they did not like what was provided to the workers. On my last day they approached me and asked me to get them cappucinos....with 4 sugars! The Kids club was awful, a hot room, with no AC and a few run down toys. The pool was OK, however the beautiful beaches and hot weather made up for the trip. You can snorkel right off the beach and see tons of fish and starfish. I would not reccomend this hotel to anyone...it is very old, the bathrooms have no soap, dryer, or hand towels, toilets do not flush which are used by the staff and the cooks....disgusting. The staff were not very accomadating or friendly at times. I would return to Cayo Coco just never this resort again I was very disappointed.... Keep Away!!!!

Room Tip: Choose the Yellow or Pink building facing the Ocean, they seemed to be the cleaniest and all had wor...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Hiram V, General Manager at Hotel Playa Coco, responded to this review, February 24, 2014
Dear Nicole M,
Thank you for your opinions. I’m sorry for the inconveniences you had during your stay. It’s a shame we didn’t meet your expectations while you were here, just to work on every detail to make your holidays better

Hiram Valle Simon

Been to Hotel Playa Coco? Share your experiences!