“Had a good time at the Tryp!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Tryp Cayo Coco

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Cayo Coco
Tryp Cayo Coco
You added Tryp Cayo Coco to your Saves list
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Ave. Los Hoteles, 1300, Cuba   |
Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Cayo Coco
Oldbury, UK
“Had a good time at the Tryp!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2009

We arrived in Cayo Coco on June 4th 2009 and stayed for 7 nights. We travelled with Thomas Cook.

Checking into the Tryp was quick and easy and our bags were bought to us within 30 minutes. When we arrived there had just been a thunderstorm so the weather was very humid.

On our first night we tried to exchange money at the front desk of the hotel but couldnt as they dont accept any card payments. We were told the only places we could change money were at the airport and there was a bank around 6 miles away. This was our own fault though as we had been told this prior to leaving the UK and forgot to take cash with us. However after a couple of days we realised that all of the tour operators that you could book trips with and the hotel shop accepted card payments so not sure why the hotel front desk cant?

We had emailed the hotel a week before and asked if we could have a room in block 10 as we had read on here that it seemed to be a better block and it was close to the beach and quiet pool. The hotel accommodated us in this request. The room was spacious and clean with a/c and a balcony. The maid service was great and she left us a bottle of water every other day.

The weather was very hot while we were there, 35 degrees every day. It did rain in the evening which was actually nice as it broke the hot weather for a while. We wanted to sit on the beach more but me and my boyfriend both burn very easily and while there were huts on the beach which offered a lot of shade there was holes in the palm leaves that made up the roof so didnt want to risk getting 'stripe' burns all over! We spent most of our time by the quiet pool which has a poolside bar which opens every day from around 10am to 5pm. Theres plenty of sun loungers around this pool either in the sun or in shaded areas. The sun loungers had no covers on so I suggest trying to put a couple of towels on them to make it a bit more comfortable! We didnt really go around the larger pool as there didnt seem to be any shade around there. There is a swim up pool bar in the larger pool. The beach is gorgeous, there is only a little bit of seaweed there so not sure what people were complaining for! When you go into the sea, its so clear you can see right to the bottom at all times.

I personally didnt think much of the buffet restaurant. We ate there for the 7 nights we were there and the food was always cold unless you had something cooked from the fresh meat frying station or the pasta cooking station. There wasnt a lot of choice at all, and we are not fussy eaters. We basically ate chicken and vegetables for a week which wasnt so bad, but it would be nice to have a bit more choice. I know it cant be helped but there was also a lot of flys on the food and around the food. I was speaking to a woman who sat next to me on the plane journey home, they had stayed in the NH Laguna and in their buffet restaurant they had insect nets around all the windows, the Tryp didnt have any of them. We also ate in the beach bar grill which served pizza/burgers/chips/pork/chicken etc, it was a really nice place for lunch and it was a speedy service. We didnt book any of the a la carte restaurants. While the food tasted all right from the buffet/beach grill I have suffered from diarorhea for 5 days now and nothing is getting rid of it! I didnt drink any of the tap water at all, so it must of been from the food.

Most nights we didnt go the main complex for drinks, we went to the bar between the Oriental and the Italian restaurants. It was a great bar, the bartenders there do the best cocktails, make sure you try a Strawberry Daiquiri! I would recommend taking a sports cup/travel mug for the pool side and the bars at night as the cup sizes are small!!

We only watched one night of the entertainment, we didnt really think much of it, it seemed like they worked really hard though.

We had a good week there, there were a few things that could have been improved, i.e the food but we were on holiday so you cant moan too much!

One final thing I would like to say, please please make sure you take cash with you to Cayo Coco, you cant change currency on a card at the hotel reception so we didnt have our departure tax. We tried to change money once we got to the airport for the flight home, but all of our cards kept being denied?! The Thomas Cook rep had to do a money transfer for us which cost us £20 on top of what we needed for departure tax.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (862)
manchester
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2009

do not go to the tryp cayo coco to start with as soon as we arrived there we got left with no map to tell us where our room is . The food was cold it even had a microwave. The childrens pool was green and cloudy which the hotel tryed to say it was rain while the other pool was fine . The rooms were horrible it had stains on the bed sheets the sockets were haging off the wall the bath was cracked and green the electricity box was hanging off the wall the room had fungi in it and the balcony was unsafe. There was people in the pool at 3 in the morning plus weeing in it men and women. The pool had tiles missing we even did not see any entertainment staff the swim up bar was scruffy
the swam smelt .There isn't all the facilities it had in the brochure.
The only thing i would recommand is the pizza grill & the beach.
But the big thanks is to roberto lopez he got us out of that hotel and made our holiday better

PortersLake, NovaScotia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2009

I stayed at the Tryp from Apr 23 to May 1 with my fiance and friends, and I was really nervous about the negative reviews. The resort is beautiful and constantly groomed. The staff were very nice...not one bad experience. The only thing that wasn't 4 star was the rooms, but you don't spend a lot of time in them anyway. I recommend staying on the 2nd floor or higher, we did meet some people that had roach's. We got our room switched from the bottom floor the next day for 5 pesos extra per day, no problem, and had ocean views!

The food was not bad. There was so much to choose from at the buffet that I don't see how anyone can go hungry. Make sure your meat is cooked all the way through. If it isn't, just ask them to throw it back on and they will. The 24 hour bar also had good sandwhiches you could get anytime, however better during the afternoon. We went to the Italian and International a la carts and they were really good. There is also a pizza bar on the beach with EXCELLENT pizza and bruschetta.

The beach was gorgeous! The beach bartender does tricks when making your drinks! Very few times beach was not groomed. The pools were always nice and clean. Always something to do. Poolside entertainment everyday. The nightly shows were good for the most part. The Disco was fun, not always packed, but good music.

If you don't want anything keeping you sick or in your room, come prepared. Bring strong SPF sunblock and Aloe vera, Advil, Immodium, first aid kits(dollar store), monistat. You probably won't use it but if you need it you have it. Bring stuff for the maids. I brought raid with me and sprayed my room, I never saw one bug the whole week.

Like I said, the trip was amazing and I will DEFINETLY come back to this resort. Oh yeah, do the snorkeling and trip to Moron, worth the pesos.

• Stayed April 2009
Kelowna
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2009

this is my first time writting a review; but i was on here lots before we went. Most has already been said about this place, but just a few things that we noted.
No servers on the beach or the pool while we were there.
Bring lots of bug spray as the mosquitos come out at night.
No mojitos except at the bar between Oriental and Italian.
Buffet was well, a typicial buffet that got tiring at the end of the week. Luckily we went with the VIP package and got 6 al a cartes. Tried all except the grill as we opted for the buffet that night because our kids were too tired. Oriental was my fav. but we have had better food in Mexico.
Pools were great for the kids - lots of shallow ends, etc. do go expecting a great kids club;we didn't use it and glad we didn't plan to - it was a joke.
Beach: haven't been anywhere else in Cuba, but lots in Mexico; this was the best beach that we have seen.
We were in building 10 and we liked the location - close to the beach and main pool. A bit of a walk to lobby but nothing major.
Again, the rooms are a little dated but we were only there to sleep so didn't matter to us.
Maid was good. Guest services called to check if we needed an electricity converter ; which we didn't because we brought our own. not sure if that was for everyone or just VIP.
Overall, we had a great time but next time we will try somewhere else in Cuba, just to try something different.

Newfoundland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2009

I stayed at Tryp Cayo Coco at the beginning of May for a week with my boyfriend. To be honest the time went past too quick! It marked my first time to any "tropical" location and I was very satisfied with everything! We met some fantastic people from all over Canada and the UK. We joined in on the nightly entertainment and poolside games during the day. The beach was simply beautiful. We took part in the parasailing (highly recommend) only 40 pasos. We learned how to scuba dive in the main pool. Also, they have free un-motorized sports free to use. We used the paddle boats, the Kiak's and snorkling equipment. While lounging on the beach, a service man would walk up and down the beach and offer to get you a drink at the beach bar - very impressive! I do recommend that you wear a sunscreen with high SPF in it... because it is better to feel comfortable than be burned, sore and end up spending time in your room. At night - apply aloe vera to keep your skin hydrated & from peeling, bring insect repelant for the flies that tend to come out at night and afterbite in case you get bit because they do itch (like any normal fly/insect bite tends to do).

The food was simply fantastic! Spread out your a la cartes... recommend the italian, orientel and international. My favorite meal was the spagetti at the Italian (ask if Eddy is working - best server by far), Chicken Terayki was extremely good at the Orientel - beautiful dining area! Edwardo serves the best drinks and is located between the Orientel and Italian resturant. The buffet usually has a huge selection. The grill was my favorite - every selection of meat to chose from. Omelettes in the morning and Pasta in the evening. The pizza & poutine were amazing at the beach resturant opened from 12-3. The only thing the buffet or food choice lacked was milk but I substituted that with ice cream in the evenings so I was still having dairy in my diet.

The excurtions were excellent. I am usually not a huge fan of boats but we went on the catermeran. Drinks supplied free of charge and a beautiful breeze while we were moving. Note to self: If you get sea sick - take gravol before you leave. Other than that - we went snorkeling with the fish (bring bread and banana's - fish love them!) My boyfriend seen a shark and I ran into a barracuda fish - very scary but interesting! The cave (which is a bar 20 paceos) leads under ground where it is fully developed and amazing. Real bats hang from the ceiling and the dance floor has a hole cut out above it so you can see the trees and stars! Huge line ups for free booze of course. It also gets very very warm - wear light light clothing... The last tour we decided to go on was the trip to the city or Moron. It was very interesting to see the culture, the music and the people. We bought alot of souvinars here because we could bargin with the people. Rather than at the resort it was a set price by the government. Do not let people push you around. If they ask you to buy something. Tell them no - no thank you - if you are not interested and they will leave you be.

The night life was interesting. After the night show we usually hung out with people that we met and eventually went to bed early because the tours start early and the best time for sunshine & breakfast is in the A.M. The rooms were satisfactory. The air conditioning was great to keep you cool and many movies tend to come on to watch when you just want to relax in your room. But other than that we didn't spend very much time in our room - except to sleep. The beds were made for us, the fridge always had water in it and clean towels. We would leave little gifts for the maid. I do recommend staying away from the pretty flowers because they tend to have little black bugs in them. Also, I noticed people do like to be tipped and we normally serve you faster. So if you do not have patience... tip them something small. Cuts down on cost if you are low on funds. But when you think about it, what person in their right mind doesn't like to be rewarded for a job well done. You wouldn't go to a local resturant and not give the person there a % tip of what your meal cost. I found the people to be friendly and very appreciative for anything that you gave them. I asked a man at the grill if I could take a picture and he Thanked me! lol

Overall Great experience! Great weather, experience, food, pools, beach, tours.... very pleased!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Winchester
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2009

This holiday was one of the worst holidays i have ever had. There were so many areas in which this '4 Star' hotel completely let us down...

Arrival:
We arrived on a Tuesday from London Gatwick and were really excited - we had read a lot of negative feedback about this hotel but tried to stay optimistic.
On approach the hotel does look slightly dated but we thought it didnt matter - its a large hotel and not a rich country so obviously you've got to take it with a pinch of salt.
We got directed to our room and our suitcases followed about half an hour later. The men lingered for a tip so we gave.

The Room:
We stayed in block 14 which we were promised a sea view. It was hardly that.The room was very dated - the furniture and the decor. We entered and there was a strong musty smell but it didn't stay for too long. The room was adequate but not really nice. We were on the first floor and even though we weren't on the ground we had 3 crabs in our room - one ran out from underneath one of our pillows. The shower curtain was dirty and stank so much.

The Service:
Poor... Tippers were served preferentially which makes sense and is acceptable to a point... but not when you are ignored constantly. I stood at the bar for 10 minutes being ignored by the bar tender - a Canadian came to the bar and straight away was served due to tipping. I'm a student and my Fiancé is only on an apprentice wage we paid enough for the holiday and we paid when it was deserved - we couldn't afford it every time we were at the bar of in the restaurant. Some of the staff are very friendly and helpful, others are very rude and abrupt.
The maid was supposed to leave a bottle of water in the fridge each day which was essential. We were not given one frequently. This was a problem as when we came back from sun bathing etc we often needed a drink and when you have no bottled water and cant drink the tap water it was easy to be dehydrated. We were in the block furthest from reception and it was 1.95CUC per bottle when we had to buy!
The bed sheets were only changed once which was disgusting considering the heat here and the amount you sweat at night even with the air conditioning.

Food:
This was the worst part of the holiday. Not one day over the two week stay did i or my fiance not have a bad stomach. TAKE PLENTY OF IMMODIUM. The buffet was DISGUSTING and the service was AWFUL. The food was often cold and covered in flies. I found a hot dog bun coated in mould. Above the buffet area were curtain drapes shading the sunlight coming in - these drapes had hundreds of dead flies in right above the food. I took images of this as it was so unhygienic. If this occurred in a British hotel then they would be shut down - i know this is Cuba but why does Thomas Cook allow such a poor hotel to be sold?! Two Brits out there that i know of got food poisoning and one was taken to hospital. The food consists of lukewarm fries, pieces of meat in sauces etc. It is basically the same each day. There are restaurants which you can book throughout the duration of your stay such as the Oriental or Italian which are a lot better. Prepare to be unwell from the food.

It is not a case of Brits being snobby - the standards here are poor. There were a large group of English there and there were many that were unhappy with the quality of this holiday. The student Canadians enjoy themselves a lot - and don't you know it! Avoid May/June if you want a bit of piece and quiet in the evenings and some space at the bars during the days!

This holiday was POOR. I hated it and will be contacting Thomas Cook. Whilst we were out there 16 couples got moved from Tryp Cayo Coco due to the disgusting hygiene and service at this hotel. The NH Krystal is supposed to be amazing so look into that to avoid wasting your money!

I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THIS HOTEL UNLESS YOU WANT A BAD STOMACH FOR 2 WEEKS SOLID AND WANT TO LOSE WEIGHT FROM NOT EATING ANYTHING DECENT!!!!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2009

First thing first. A few handy hints before going to Cuba take Vitamin B12 so mosquitoes don't bite. I got biten alive so take bite stuff with you. Sunscreen take very high factor. I wore factor 60 and still got burnt. Even though theres a breeze it's still very hot and it was rainy season. My friend takes an excellent tan and she got burnt wearing factor 20. So please be careful. DO NOT GO ON THE SPA TRIP. The spa trip is good value for money but if you do go do not take anything valuable as there was 14 of us and 3 of them had money taken from there purses which was locked in lockers. My aunt had 110 pesos taken out of her purse. Then they had the cheek to want a tip after it. One of the canadian travel agents Signature has pulled out of the spa as this has happened before. The Tryp Hotel transfer from hotel 10 mins which after a 9 hour flight is excellent. Staff very very friendly and are all able to help with anything (some for a small fee). The view from my room was like a postcard right onto the beach. It was amazing waking up to it every morning so request a sea view. The rooms were good just need a slight up grade in bathroom but nothing to moan or complain about as long as it all worked. The beach was amazing and the pool was just as good. The enterntainment staff tried there best to entertain and were very friendly. The dancers for the night entertainment were so good. The food I preferred eating in the buffet as you could pick and choose and there was always something for you to eat. The a la carte I only liked the oriental the rest of the a la carte werent keen on a bit dodgy the next day after it but never the buffet. But you will not starve in the Cayo Coco.The bar staff if you get the more experienced ones they are amazing at making up any drink for you. I recommend the miami vice cocktail so good. yes there is water under the hotel and it does smell a bit but your only walking pass it your not really sitting near it. So it didn't bother me. It was a good hotel for just relaxing next to the beach and pool. If I go back to Cuba I would try and go on more trips and see the real cuba as cayo coco is an island just off cuba and they are no residents just hotels and tourists.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family

Been to Tryp Cayo Coco? Share your experiences!