“Lovely” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Melia Cayo Coco

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Cayo Coco
Melia Cayo Coco
You added Melia Cayo Coco to your Saves list
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Jardines del Rey | Ciego de Ávila, 22300, Cuba   |
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Cayo Coco
St. Asaph, United Kingdom
“Lovely”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

This was our second stay in melia cayo coco, we have stayed in the cayos 6 times now! Love the melia, staff friendly, nothing too much trouble, animation staff fab! Food exceptional ! Always something to find even for the fussiest person! Beach is beautiful , everywhere spotlessly clean, will definetly go back. We went for our 30 the anniversary , they made it special for us with a champagne breakfast in bed, Livan who works in the lobby bar was absolutely fantastic , nothing was too much trouble for him! He had a great sence of humour! The staff in the buffet were great too, when they get to know you, they will keep you a table where you like to sit & have your wine poured ready! They work so hard, always clearing your table so you are never sat with dirty crockery in front of you! The gardens are kept immaculate ! We always took the gardeners a drink as they work so hard in very hot temperatures, they also are so friendly, always stopping to say good morning, & wishing you a nice day. When I arrived this time, two of the staff instantly recognised me, giving me a hug as I checked in! That's how special these people are, of all the thousands of people that visit, they remembered me. We just love the place, it feels like going home!

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

MeliaCay0C0c0, General Manager at Melia Cayo Coco, responded to this review, March 12, 2014
Dear Loyal Customers,
We are so glad to read we are considered your second home! Thank you very much for your review and so generously commenting on your second time with us. It is amazing to read you have had another great time with us. You can rest assure we have shared all your remarks with the staff; we know they make the difference with their outstanding service and truly appreciate they influence that much on our customers’ holiday enjoyment. Just drop us a note with your requests for your third visit to our hotel, we will be delighted in looking after them.
Santiago Innerarity

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (856)
Toronto
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2014

This was our third visit to the Melia Cayo Coco. It was terrible! The hotel now has more managers than staff, all of whom spend their time contradicting each other. The room was poorly maintained, had to continually ask for towels. Were not given things we were promised, i.e. told a bottle of wine a day, that never happened! And their Manager VIOLETTA should never be dealing with the public - nastiest woman I've run across in Cuba. Unprofessional, rude. We had to wait two hours for our room and it wasn't the room we paid for. Lots of unrest amongst the staff and the food quality was a 3 star at best in the buffet. When we went to book our al la carte were told sorry all booked up. Absolute lie. One night we were only one of 5 couples in the restaurant and the only couple the first 40 minutes! Everything runs on bribes there now. You overpay for the holiday then have to bribe to get what you already paid for.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
MeliaCay0C0c0, General Manager at Melia Cayo Coco, responded to this review, March 14, 2014
Dear Loyal Customer,
I am truly sorry for failing in meeting your expectations on your third time in Meliá Cayo Coco. There are some aspects you make reference to in your review which I would like to address because there should be a misunderstanding with that you have paid for. There is no package in which we include one bottle of wine daily to be provided to guests' rooms. You have paid for the VIP package which includes special beverages provided once during your stay, as you have received. All our superior rooms have been recently refurbished with new bathroom, furniture, decoration; they are all brand new. We have sent you a separate email requesting some specific information for us to look after any issue you may have encountered in order to rectify what was wrong. We would appreciate your further feedback on it. I would like to apologize because you were affected by some inconsistencies we faced with laundry service provided from mainland. As we have previously stated on this site, we are on our way to do our own laundry which will be soon implemented. We will certainly revise your comment on our a la carte availability since all our customers are entitled to visit each restaurant once per week of stay and we always accommodate customers as advertised. We hope you give us the opportunity to offer you an improved stay next time by choosing Meliá Cayo Coco as your holiday destination again.
With best regards,
Pickering, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2014

Visited Melia Cayo Coco with my sister Feb 4 - 15 2104 for the second time. We had been there Nov 27 - Dec 4 2013. Great food, entertainment, prestige beach. The staff are so friendly & professional. Joel (baggage), Alex (reception), Activities staff Geiny, Janazi, Marie, Luis, Alexander to mention a few. Philippe (gardener) always presented u with smile. Buffet was great lots of choices with no shortage of anything. Great service from Omar,Ukisimi, Yuccimila. Maid service did a great job
Hope t return in September 2014. Have recommended Melia Cayo Coco to family & friends

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Customer,
I have so much enjoyed reading your review! And I am so glad to share it with my team! We are very glad to know it has been such an enjoyable holiday experience. Thank you very much for taking the time to review it and recommending us to your family and friends. We do hope to see you again in the future. Please, let us know what your preferences are; we will be delighted in providing you with another awesome holiday experience.
WHITBY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2014

These are the things we appreciated about Melia Cayo Coco:

The staff was outstanding. Friendly, happy, fabulous memories re guests' likes and dislikes food-wise, always willing to help with promptness. They make MCC what it is... Oswaldo and Yeni in the dining room were exceptional. The guys who picked us up in the golf carts were fun, helpful and always prompt.
The food was enjoyable, especially the pancakes.
The atmosphere in the whole place was relaxed - exactly what we were looking for. The view from our balcony over the lagoon was peaceful and beautiful. Our morning cappuccinos in the outdoor café were a great start to the day.

Things we were not so comfortable with:

The plane ride on Sea Wing (not the responsibility of the resort I know) was terrible. We were crammed in like sardines for over four hours. I'm sure my ancestors were more comfortable immigrating to Canada in cattle boats.

We were glad we took something to take the itch away from bug bites. Were they no-see-ums? Don't know because we never did see them but their effects were felt.

The water pressure in the shower was very low and some time was required to get the temperature just right.

We found the mattresses too hard but I realize everyone has their own comfort level.

Our biggest concern was that one of us is disabled and had special needs - showers with bath seats, higher toilets, comfortable chairs to sit on would have helped a lot. The bus that took us from the airport to the resort didn't have lower steps that would have helped us to get off them. Instead there was a drop of about 16" - making it hard to get on and off. A small stool would have made a tremendous difference. We ended up taking a taxi back to the airport to avoid this problem. (Thanks heavens for those golf carts!) But - without these aids, I spent the last three days in our room, coping with torturous muscle cramps and spasms. Essentially, except for the first four days, it ruined our vacation there.

Several other guests had similar disabilities that would have taken away from their enjoyment too. People without disabilities would have a great time time there.

Something you may not know re flying to such a resort. The only way to climb off and on a plane in Cuba is outdoors so there are many steps to negotiate. Wheel chairs are available - just order them when booking a seat.

Secondly, they had a smaller apparatus that they used to take me all the way to my seat as well as carrying me up and down those stairs. You are strapped onto the seat with safety belts and carried by three airport personnel. That was one feature I really appreciated it.

Had I had all the things I needed to cope with my disabilities I would have given this resort five stars.

Dear Customer,
Thank you very much for your comments. We are truly sorry because your expectations on our hotel were not met and thank you for your compliments on the staff and those things you have encountered to your liking. Unfortunately, there is nothing we can do regarding Sunwing Airlines issues you make reference to, but have taken good note about the observations you have made on mattresses and water pressure in the shower. I sincerely hope that this somewhat negative experience do not deter you from staying with us again at Meliá Cayo Coco, where would be most pleased to serve and provide you with the best of our services.
With best regards,
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2014 via mobile

The staff he were amazing ,, love Alexander the Great from Cuba . The grounds were beautiful , the food was awesome and I'm fussy !! The beaches were like no other just beautiful . I can't say enough good I will be back !!

• Stayed February 2014
MeliaCay0C0c0, General Manager at Melia Cayo Coco, responded to this review, March 11, 2014
Dear Customer,
We are very glad to know you have truly enjoyed your stay in our hotel in such a way that you are very much looking forward to returning. Thank you very much for your generous comments. Please, just provide us with your booking details for us to look after your accommodation and any other request you may have to make sure you have another great time in Meliá Cayo Coco.
Prince Albert, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2014

Just returned from here on March 5th. A lovely experience from the sparkling wine at the door to the wait at the lobby at the end of the trip. If peace and quiet what you are after, this is a good option. The food is vey good and a huge variety is provided. the restaurants are nice, but we found that the buffet was so well presented and staffed that it was just as much fun and high quaity as ordering from a menu. Drinks are well made and have a wide variety. If you like to sample cuban rums, the only option is at the bar in the lobby. This isn't much if a hardship, as the bar is a very nice one.

Our room was starting to show signs of age but was still in perfect working order. One thing to know abut the facility is that all the laundry and supplies come from the mainland. This results in two visits from housekeeping per day, as clean laundry doesn't arrive back until late afternoon. Many hotels ask you to go easy in the linens, but the remote location make it extra important here.

If you go to Cuba this year, know that deodorant and household cleaners are extemely scarce, so take extras as gifts, as they will be much appreciated.

I could go on at some length about the legion ofamazing staff who without exception went to great lengths and a lot of hard work to make our experience as close to perfect as possible but I will single out three staff future guests may wish to pay special attention to: 1) Felipe the gardener who has vast knowledge of the grounds, how they are maintained, and how they are planned so that they remain pretty well into the future. If you like to garden, a chat with him is very worthwhile. Felipe has a 4 month old niece. If you would like an excellent handmade coconut palm sombrero for your visit, consider giving him a plastic doll toy for his niece as these types of toys are very hard to come by in Cuba.

2) Amilkar the waiter. you may find him at the beach restaurant in the afternoon. You will be hard pressed to find a nicer, harder working person than Amilkar anywhere.

3) Yaneras in the Lobby. go there for a perfec morning coffee experiece.

So tip generously folks, a little goes a long way in Cuba.

Room Tip: There is a new resort being built on the adjacent property, so room away from that on the second fl...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Customer,
Only by reading the title of your review we would have enough to thank you for all your compliments. I am so glad to know my team served you in such a magnificent way. I am so proud of them all, and I fully agree with you regarding the ones you mention. I also enjoy very much Yanelys' service every morning at our Lobby Bar and truly thank her and every single member of my team who stands out the most due to a great performance for you. Thank you for mentioning the laundry service issue. It is true we have inconsistencies but we are taking the steps to have our laundry equipment complete so we can do it by ourselves in order to avoid inconveniences caused by that service. Regarding your comment on your room, I would like to state that all our standard section will be refurbished during 2014-2015; we have already finished with the lagoon accommodation. We hope to see you again in the future. Please, let us know your preferences as we will be just too happy to look after any request you may have during your next stays in Meliá Cayo Coco.
Southampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2014 via mobile

Myself and 8 others stayed here from 10th Feb for 2 weeks. Me and my husband got married in this hotel during our stay.

The hotel was very clean everywhere and the gardens are gorgeous and very well kept, with the gardeners often making little gifts for the guests out of leaves and flowers which is such a lovely surprise. The wildlife is beautiful to, humming birds, woodpeckers, pelicans and many more.

We stayed in the lagoon rooms and they were gorgeous, especially watching sun rise/sun set on balcony over the lagoon, but do expect some smells that waft over occasionally because this is a natural sea water lagoon, but it never smelt in the room or balcony. We had a day and a night maid which was also a very nice touch and the effort of our night maid Olivia made our stay extra special, especially the effort she went to on our wedding night which was completely unexpected and went above and beyond expectations.

They have a huge variety of food and has a different theme each night. The chefs cook meat in front of u exactly how u like it, from fresh. The efforts they make with all the food is overwhelming and must take a lot of hard work. I like the fact they do have plain stuff like chips and steak as well as fancy food. The while party enjoyed the food in the buffet. We went to the beach bar on a few occasions and found the service by the chef lacking and he was quite rude and the waiters except one were a little slower, but the ribs are the best I've ever eaten but only managed to eat these once during our stay because they constantly ran out (they are that good)

the only thing we found to be a downside was often the service we received in the lobby bar, although all staff are polite and friendly we did feel they gave preferential treatment to the Canadians who would constantly tip making us all feel a great pressure to do the same even though it cost more than double what they pay to get there. (Not the Canadians fault, that's just their way, and they were all very friendly and good fun) but the staff should treat everyone the same, I lost my job a month before we went so couldn't tip that often. Obviously there are some staff that were lovely and treated us well especially 2 ladies.

Andreas in the billiard bar makes the best cocktails without a doubt and is very friendly and fun and full of energy, I think maybe the other staff should take cocktail lessons from him? Was a good atmosphere in there also.

now as I said we got married out there. Niurka was the most amazing help and was superb at her job, she made our day so special and nothing was to much for her. My tiara broke on the morning of the wedding and without even asking she and my hairdresser started to fix it which was tricky and time consuming. Every details was perfect, we had the band to play us down the aisle and that was just the cherry on top, they were fantastic! The cake was amazing also and just everything was perfect. I mentioned my theme back home was blue and it happened that the band and the registra was dress in blue with blue bows put around the gazebo and blue on the cake. I will post some pictures of what the wedding photographer does so other perspective brides van see how beautiful it is, as when I was looking Iwould have liked to see more.

I would have given this full marks because the people are wonderful it'sjust one rude chef and the service in the lobby bar that stops me from giving it full marks.

In the ala carte restaurant on the lagoon was gorgeous, and the service in there really is 5* absolutely fabulous.

Niurka really is amazing and did make our day the most special day of our lives. I would recommend getting married here without hesitation.

Alex the entertainer also made our stay, always happy and full of energy, very good man :) and the Thomas Cook rep Maria was always very helpful

we went for a 2 hour house riding excursions which was fantastic and was a long the beach, horses were well looked after and very well behaved. Riding along the beach as the sun set was defiantly something special.

I would advise to take plenty of spending more for the other excursions like swimming with the dolphins and day trip to havana amount fishing trips and diving. (Wish I hadn't lost my job because I would have done the lot of these but could only afford the horse riding and wedding photo and did which was also fantastic and worth every penny)

I will definitely be back, the beaches are well kept too and gorgeous!

We keep saying in 5 years we will all go back out there.

fantastic, best time ever.

• Stayed February 2014
MeliaCay0C0c0, General Manager at Melia Cayo Coco, responded to this review, March 7, 2014
Dear Customer,
I have so much enjoyed reading all your comments on your recent stay in our hotel. Thank you very much for posting your experience on this site. We will certainly share your remarks with the staff, especially with Olivia, Andres, Alex, Maria and Niurka. Oh yes! Niurka does such a great job! Your comments make us feel very proud of the way they perform for you all and it is alwasy a pleasure to ackowledge them for such a positive attitude. Thank you for your observation on our Lobby bar service, we will certainly look after the matter since service is something we are extremely passionate about and we truly care for all our customers to receive the service you all deserve. We are already looking forward to welcome you back in the near future so please, drop us a note with your requests, as we will be delighted in looking after them.
Santiago Innerarity

Been to Melia Cayo Coco? Share your experiences!