“Wow!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Melia Cayo Coco

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Cayo Coco
Melia Cayo Coco
You added Melia Cayo Coco to your Saves list
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Jardines del Rey | Ciego de Ávila, 22300, Cuba   |
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Cayo Coco
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Wow!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

Myself and my Partner stayed here from June 7th-21st.

Upon arrival we were greeted with a welcome drink whilst we chilled in Reception as there were quite a few people checking in. There were around 5 Reception staff promptly checking everyone in as quickly as possible. A Porter will take your cases to the room if you wish, but as we were eager to walk around and wanted our cases straight away, we had no trouble finding our room ourselves.

We had booked a Lagoon room and long before we arrived we had read that some rooms are newly refurbished. My Partner emailed the Hotel asking for a newly refurbished room with a clear view of the sunset over the Lagoon. The friendly reply he received from Violeta was amazing and she certainly hadn't let us down as our room was perfect (room 3212). Violeta had also gone as far as to offer to book the A la carte restaurants for us before we got there,to save us doing so on the Holiday. When we checked in there was an envelope for us with a selection of A la Carte restaurant tickets for random nights throughout our stay.- What service!!!

The Buffet Restaurant was the best we have ever experienced in a Hotel and what I could not get over was the vast choice. Even the fussiest eater could not possibly go hungry. On the spot cooking stations with a vast selection of meats, Pasta dishes etc. The A La Carte restaurants were equally good, The International being my favourite, followed by the Italian. The Caribbean I didn't like so much but others said this was their favourite and didn't rate the International - I guess Everyone's different and all were certainly good quality!!!

The Lobby bar is nice and relaxing and the Billiard bar was a particular favourite of ours. Orlando always served us with a friendly smile. (as did others, names of which escape me). The music bar was good for a dance and some more drinks into the early hours and there was even the 24 hour pool bar (should you wish to carry on drinking after 2am) but mainly great for a snack at night to soak up all those Mojito's at the end of a nice night.

What can I say about the people - AMAZING. The people make this place and without the warm and friendly faces, this place would not be half as good. The entertainment team are brilliant, (Pepe, Emelaide and Ismary and others) Waiters and Waitresses professional and friendly. After two weeks it feels as if you know them well and they're your friends. Greeted daily with smiles, hugs, (but not in any way intrusive). I firmly believe that this level of friendliness made many guests in a constant good mood, creating a lovely atmosphere and many people chatted if you wish to be spoken to. For this reason I think a solo traveller would love it here and easily be able to socialise. We met so many guests and the entertainment team will welcome anyone to participate in activities but you never feel forced - (I refused to do anything but laze by the pool, while my Partner took part in activities,joining alone and got chatting to many others for example)

One minor complaint: (nowhere's perfect I guess)
Water, soft drinks and beer are supposed to be replenished in your room daily. On more than one occasion our bottled water wasn't replenished (we never touched the beer and soft drinks much). I asked reception and swiftly some water was delivered. This happened about 5 times in 2 weeks though. I got tired of having to ask as surely drinking water is a necessity in the heat? - My one and only complaint, which was such a minor thing to rectify I thought it's a shame the hotel let themselves down on this one....

Overall:

After two weeks there I could clearly see what all the fuss was about regarding people's good reviews on this site. The place certainly has a magic about itand I would say I had the best time of any Holiday. I always say the world is a big place and I would never visit anywhere twice. The Melia Cayo Coco has made me change my mind. I cannot wait to return next year and I'm still on a bit of a 'post holiday high' when I think about our wonderful holiday, 3 weeks later!!!!!!!!!

One happy Customer!

Room Tip: Upgrade to a Lagoon room if you can afford to do so. If you don't consume the drinks from your r...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
MeliaCay0C0c0, General Manager at Melia Cayo Coco, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Dear Customers,
So glad to know you were impressed with our services. Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience by posting your beautiful review here. I am in agreement with you when state it is our staff what makes a huge difference on our "offer". They truly strive on providing the best of their services, and we are all the time grateful for their committment and great performance. We hope you choose us in the near future for your holiday vacation. Please, be kind enough to email us again with your needs and special requests, we will be then looking after everything so that you will have another "Wowed experience" in Meliá Cayo Coco.
Santiago Innerarity

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (860)
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

Second visit to this lovely hotel. Travelled 14th June 2013 to 28th June 2013. Had 2 wonderful weeks there again, the only off putting issue we had, was mosquitoes... bitten to death upon arrival at airport and resort. Nothing seems to keep them away. Had lots of pesticides, spent 35 pounds on the stuff, right down to lemonella soap. Super mozzies, i can tell ya. All the staff are so friendly and although it has changed management since the last time we went, everything is good. We miss a couple of the animation team and some from buffet from previous year, but still have our favorites there. Loved the returning guests dinner... laid on for us. Just a pity we did not get a lagoon room like we had first time around, but room was okay, although a better television would have been nice... old type, which was very poor reception, still had lots of other things to do. We stayed in room 8421 so was close to the beach, having changed from first room we were offered, due to no air conditioning. We ate in the buffet most of the time, but next year we plan to try the restaurants. Food was okay and no tummy upsets. Shame there was no WiFi after a week being there, i believe they had trouble with the cards? managed without it anyway. We have booked to return again next year on the 4th June, and also booked a 3 day stay in Havana too, so we can break up the holiday a little, we did try to book Havana whilst we were there but all sold out. Hats off to Vivian, Laimy and Mario... we had such a laugh with those guys, miss them so much. Cannot wait to return and counting down the days.... Please get our room ready, because were coming home.

Room Tip: The lagoon rooms seem to be the best, loved ours the first time we stayed at this resort.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
MeliaCay0C0c0, General Manager at Melia Cayo Coco, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Dear Loyal Customer,
Such a pleasure reading your comments. Thank you very much for sharing your second experience with our readers. Yes, we still have some standard rooms with old TV but we are in the process of replacing them all. Our lagoon room section have already been updated with 32 inches LCD. We have had some inconsistencies with WI-FI services (this is a new service we are providing and gaps have appeared on the way) but this is now working properly. Your nice words and complimentas have been passed to the staff, especially to the ones you have been kind enough to mention by name. Thank you so much for re-booking so fast. Closer to the time, send us an email with your preferences for us to look after your third time at Home just as you deserve.
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

There is a lot to say (in a positive way) about the Melia Cayo Coco, but hopefully it will be helpful. Any "negatives" are really just suggestions for improvement on an already great product.
The resort is located on the best part of a stretch of soft white sand beach that is long enough for a good walk. Cayo Coco itself is somewhat isolated, and so is not for travelers seeking a lot of off site activity. The sea is lovely and very calm. Even when a storm blew in the surf stayed relatively gentle.
The resort itself is quite beautiful, and extremely intelligently laid out. An enormous number of people seem to be employed there, and everyone was friendly and helpful, from gardeners to bartenders to lobby staff. The grounds and beach are well maintained, and the pool setting is gorgeous. This area offers nice touches such as waiters carrying trays of ice water and fruit drinks.
The quantity and variety of food is enormous. We tended to focus on fresh fish and fruit, but there is food for every taste - perhaps to excess in terms of variety. One small criticism might be that the food seems to be prepared with somewhat bland tourist tastes in mind. It would be nice to have an area dedicated to Cuban and Caribbean dishes. There are three a la carte restaurants. We had no desire to eat Italian in this setting, but the International Restaurant offered a terrific meal to the accompaniment of a violin/guitar combo that was marvelous.
I cannot say enough about the entertainment. Terrific music in the lobby bar each evening, and a group of remarkably talented dancers who perform on stage at night. This troupe are hotel employees, and they work incredibly hard choreographing, rehearsing and performing. Really impressive. Another small quibble. There is a great deal of American style music played, and what we most enjoyed was the Cuban and Latin playing. Most performers seemed to feel obligated to play "My Way" and I would really like management to ban it!!
The rooms were perfectly fine - nothing dazzling, but clean and comfortable, with air conditioning, not that we used it much. It worked very well though. This leads me to the only real adjustment I had to make. The bed mattresses seemed rather hard. Not super uncomfortable or of poor quality, just with little give. This can be an issue for those who may have a need for something with more cushion.
I have no serious negatives to report, and we would certainly return, adding a side trip to see Havana. All in all we congratulate Melia.

Room Tip: Due to the layout of the resort, there are really no disadvantageous locations.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Customer,
Thank you ever so much for your lovely review and constructive opinion. I am in agreement with you when state our staff provides great performance for all of you, thank you for your praises on them, we have made sure to congratulate our team for such the services they offer. Regarding your comment on our singers' repertoire, I would like to say that it has been chosen by our customers, we do not enforce songs or themes to be played; we just make sure they are of our customers' liking and enjoyment according to the place they will be played at and the quality of performances. Thank you for your suggestion. Yes, you are right, combining your stay in the Cayos with a visit to Havana is a great idea. Thomas Cook offers what they call Twin Center Holidays but they run out of availability very soon so I suggest you contact them as soon as posisble if you want to take this choice. If not, they also offer a Havana City Break tour which you will be able to book on arrival directly with your Rep on resort. Please, do contact us with your requests for your already announced returning visit. We would be more than glad in looking after everything for you to have another wonderful experience in Meliá Cayo Coco.
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

We first stayed in this hotel in November 2011 and we made a stupid decision last year not to return! We absolutely love this place and cannot fault it what so ever.

From the moment we arrived we couldn't stop smiling everything is fantastic, all of the staff were wonderful (and no you do not have to tip to get good service here, the first couple of days we were at this resort we didn't tip at all but after seeing how amazing all the staff were we couldn't not, they all deserved it so much).

The hotel itself is gorgeous so peaceful and relaxing we loved the piano player in the evenings before our meal and all of the shows and day time activities were brill! All the bar staff are amazing especially in the snack bar they will never let your glass go empty. The gardeners do a wonderful job and are always smiling so do the maids we felt spoilt at how perfect everything was for us.

I could keep going on and on about just how good this hotel is but trust me if you visited here you will feel the same.. all the people who have complained about this hotel must of gone with a grumpy attitude because everyone here is smiling and laughing and all the staff and I mean all couldn't do enough for you.

We cannot wait to return in November and see everyone again, last time we went for my birthday and had a lovely surprise from the hotel and we are there again this year so we can spend my birthday in paradise.. This is our home away from home we have never felt so relaxed and comfortable as we do at this hotel.

Not long now... 116 days and counting!!!

Sarah & Joel

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Loyal Customers,
Thank you so much for your lovely review announcing your upcoming holiday with us. Please, send us your booking details and special requests to celebrate your event, we would be more than glad in looking after all the arrangements so as you will be having another memorable celebration in Meliá Cayo Coco.
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Having previously stayed in a 3 star resort in Varadero I was skeptical about going to Cuba again. While I realize there would not be as many features as resorts in other countries I felt that the food and rooms were going to be a poor and low quality.

Not so with Melia Cayo Coco, A beautiful adults only resort with stunning ocean and lagoon views. We stayed in one of the lagoon rooms which felt almost Amazonian, with its wide flat water surrounded by dense forestation. The room itself felt like it had been newly renovated with a spacious walk in shower, lots of big towels and even a flat screen TV with English, French and Spanish channels.

The resort is not large and easy to get around with lots of flora and fauna to take pictures of. The pool is shallow and definitely for relaxing in only, though there have volley ball in one corner during the day. The beach is very narrow with the waves stopping just a few feet from the beach chairs. This makes for a very private and relaxed setting.

Food at the Melia Cayo Coco is the best I have had in the Caribbean. A huge selection of fresh fish seafood and meat. Dedicated chefs; grill, make pasta and make certain deserts to order which really raises the bar over other resorts.
The Piano bar has some great musicians, whether it is the piano player or the musical act of the night.

Melia Cayo Coco has made me rethink Cuba. Why spend 50% more to go to Mexico when I can have a better vacation, better food and less hassle at Melia. Great staff, great food, Stunning resort, hope to come back

My only criticism is the sever lack of shade at the pool ( as mentioned by other reviewers). There are many pool chairs and not a lot of umbrellas or coverings. As a man that burns easily this became a problem and when the beach chairs ran out I had to stay indoors. Since most people that go the resort are white, I would advise that Melia invest in something to resolve this.

Dear Customers,
Thank you very much for your generous review. Thank you for recommending us in such a way and for your already announced revisit. You can rest assure we will be striving on providing you with another wonderful experience. Regarding the lack of shade on our pool area I would like to tell you that, besides recently having added more palapas around the pool and beach areas, we have already commenced with works we had announced on previous replies to favor our pool solarium. Yes, we understand shade is very much needed when in the Caribbean due to heavy sunny days we always have. Do go ahead and make your booking for your next break with us, then send us your requests and we will be looking after them with pleasure.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

I'm going to keep this short as I'm typing it on my phone, lol, but I just wanted to say how much I enjoyed the holiday.

The staff are very friendly, the food is superb (except for the Italia a la carte). In fact I would just stick with the buffet, you can get freshly made steaks, fish, giant langostines, and the buffet part has a great selection of hot and cold dishes.

The beach is cleaned every day, and there are plenty of activities to keep yo occupied.

The only negative part of the holiday was Thomas cook selling us premium seats at Manchester airport for £100 each, and then for us to find out this is only an extra few inches of leg room (no free drinks or meal upgrades). The couple in front had their seats back the whole flight, so we had 6 inches of space from the seat in front. Not what I would premium, and is a total con.

On the way back, the Thomas cook check in woman insisted we gave her a tip if we wanted to sit together on the way back. Disgusting!!!

Don't let this put you off though. We will definetly be going back to Melia Cayo Coco. We will just tell Thomas cook to stick it when they try ripping us off at the airport.

• Stayed June 2013
Dear Customers,
We are very sorry to hear your experience with Thomas Cook has not been a satisfactory one, and truly hope everything is improved when you rebook to stay with us in the future. Thank you very much for reviewing your stay in our hotel, we are very happy to read it has been very injoyable and you have already made the decision of coming back. Please, make sure you email us with your preferences for us to look after your requests with pleasure.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

The melia caya coco is amazing it is on the secluded island of caya coco so if you want to see what Cuba is 'really' like I suggest you go on a tour maybe booked with your representative to get the most out of Cuba, however the hotel is a delight I only stayed here for one week as I did the Thomas cook tour the week before. There are loads of options in regard to food at the hotel with three choices of la cante resturants , I would return to the hotel time and time again had a wonderful time in Cuba !!!!

• Stayed June 2013
Dear Customer,
Thank you very much for your review on your recent stay with us, which we are very glad to know has been of your full enjoyment. Email us with your reference when have made your booking to come back as you have announced here, we would be very glad to accommodate all your requests.
Santiago Innerarity

Been to Melia Cayo Coco? Share your experiences!