“First and Best in Cayo Coco” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Melia Cayo Coco

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Cayo Coco
Melia Cayo Coco
You added Melia Cayo Coco to your Saves list
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Jardines del Rey | Ciego de Ávila, 69400, Cuba   |
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Cayo Coco
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“First and Best in Cayo Coco”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

Another fantastic time at The Melia Cayo Coco great to see the staff so happy to serve and please their customers. The fishing may not have been this good but the hotel and staff always live up to my expectations from start to finish. The hotel is being refurbished a block at a time and I understand WIFI should be available next week. Food was very good from the buffet restaurant to the special restaurants.There is always something excellent to eat and great variety I particularly had great service from Livan and Joes in the pool bar, the beers were ice cold and the burgers were to die for after a hard days fishing. Special thanks to Santiago, Eidel, Violeta and George for setting such high standards and see you again soon.

Room Tip: upgrade to a lagoon room
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
MeliaCay0C0c0, General Manager at Melia Cayo Coco, responded to this review, May 25, 2013
Dear Loyal Customers,
So glad to read your fantastic review! Thank you very much for it! We feel very honored whenever you all choose Meliá Cayo Coco for your holiday vacation. Hope next time fishing is better for you! Looking forward to seeing you again,
Santiago Innerarity

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (987)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

Ignore the jeremiads of those of the miserable brigade: even if they were transported to Paradise on a winged chariot and served ambrosia by the Angel Gabriel himself, they would find fault with something! This is an excellent resort, with clean and comfortable accommodation; a good selection of restaurants; plenty of activities and very friendly staff who put in a colossal amount of work to keep everyone happy. The only two suggestions that I made to the hotel were to have collapsible beach umbrellas available, so that all guests can shelter from the sun (rather than those who arose at dawn to reserve their shelter!); and to negotiate with the domestic airline for a midday flight from Havana to Caya Coco, to avoid the 6 hour wait to check in after taking the 6 50 am flight.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

Just arrived home after our third visit and planning our return in Sept
however we were upset to hear that the on site diving centre is under threat of closure
Letting Marlin close Blue Diving would mean many would not return to this wonderful place and that goes for many returning guests to the Melia
I hope the hotel can use it considerable influence to ensure Blue Diving remains open
Thanks
Martin and Angela
Portsmouth
UK

• Stayed May 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

I first visited the Melia back in 2005 and returned again on 19th April 2013 for 2 weeks with my husband and parents, who couldn't wait to see what all the fuss was about! I am glad to say that it was just as I remembered (even better with the on-going improvements) and all four of us had an amazing holiday, not wanting to return home!

From the beginning the Melia did all that they could to ensure that our holiday was perfect and I would like to thank Violetta in particular for her prompt response to my e-mails and for our superior lagoon suites which were beautiful!

On arrival we were greeted with a cool face cloth and a refreshing glass of bubbly which were very appreciated after our long flight from the U.K. It was also nice not having to worry about our luggage as this was taken to our rooms for us.

Our suites on the lagoon were out of this world. My husband and I stayed in suite 1421 with my parents in the next block in suite 1221. Upon opening the door we were welcomed by the sight of fresh fruit, champagne on ice and a bottle of rum! The room was bright and airy, with a separate living and dinning area; the furnishings modern and the bathroom looked brand new. I later found that the rain shower was amazing to stand under after a hot day at the beach! Our rooms were kept spotless the entire 2 weeks by our day maid Miserly and our night maids, Clara and Olivia. Their towel art was amazing! The nightly turn down service was such a special touch and every night we would return to our room to find our beds turned down, and fresh flowers scattered on our bed. We sometimes even had a chocolate on our pillow! Our mini fridge was also stocked daily with soft drinks, beer and water.

With regard to the food, we experienced the buffet, beach grill, Cuban Restaurant and Italian.
We did not eat at the International which is on the lagoon but did visit there often for breakfast and the food was superb and service exceptional. I have to say that we could not fault the quality of food in any of the restaurants. If I had to choose I would say that I preferred the buffet but this was only because you are spoilt for choice with the pasta station, meat, fish, array of cheeses and not forgetting the wonderful desserts, especially the waffles and ice cream sundaes!

We spent most days on the beach which is beautiful. You also get a lovely breeze here which is needed! We were extremely lucky weather wise and apart from our last day, when it was overcast, we had amazing weather for the whole 2 weeks. We snorkelled most days and enjoyed feeding the fish. Some days the sea was quite rough but you could always take a stroll to the right, past the Sol to the beach across the way which was shallow but lovely and calm. One thing about Cuba is that their beaches are public and you can enjoy lovely long walks. With regard to people having trouble getting a lounger with shade, we were fortunate and in the two weeks we never once experienced this and we did not go down to the beach until 9.30 sometimes 10 am.

We would like to say a special hello to the boys who worked at the beach bbq, my husband loved going there every lunch time for the steak and would always have a laugh and a joke with them whilst I sunbathed! Also the staff at the beach bar where we would go every afternoon to enjoy a drink or two whilst watching the waves. They made the best Pina Coladas!

In my opinion, the thing that makes this hotel so different from others I have visited in the past is the staff. Each and every member of staff I encountered was friendly, helpful and always had a smile on their face. We were called several times during our stay to ensure that everything was ok with our room and to enquire as to whether we were enjoying our holiday. If we ordered milk for our room at the bar we were told not to wait but it would be brought to our room for us. They were very attentive and nothing was ever too much trouble.

Even when it came to leaving the resort for our flight home, the staff came out to wave goodbye and we were all given a cooling mocha drink and shortbread to enjoy on our short journey to the airport. Attentiveness is there until the very end.

I could go on and on…….

I highly recommend this resort to anyone looking for a relaxing holiday. You will not be disappointed and will be truly looked after. Anywhere we visit in the future has a lot to live up to after this holiday and it is for this reason that without a shadow of a doubt we will be returning to the Melia in the very near future.

Thank you for another fantastic holiday.

Mr and Mrs Ellis

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Oshawa, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

My husband and I went with open minds about our expectations on our very first trip to Cuba and the Melia Cayo Cocco All Inclusive Resort. We stayed April 18th-25th. We chose this resort because it is small and adult only. However on day 3 of our stay we both started not to feel well. I started with a very upset stomach and then experienced diarrhea that continued for the entire week. My husband didn’t feel well either but didn’t experience the diarrhea. This is after we both had taken Dukoral prior to travelling to avoid getting sick. . I did speak with other guests from the resort at the airport they shared with me they have had the same experience also.
Since I continued not to feel well when I got home I went to see my Dr. and after having tests done and the results showed that I had gotten a parasite. My Dr. said this was not a normal occurrence and would require me to be on very strong antibiotics (9 pills daily) for 10 days

For this reason alone we will not be returning to Cuba or the Melia Cayo Cocco. This is really unfortunate because I would of returned otherwise. The resort really started to grow on us and having said that, no I don’t mean the parasite!

Good Points:

3 hour flight/15 mins. from airport
Check-in Quick (more on this later)
Golf cart you/luggage to your room
Lobby/Bathrooms/Restaurant (buffet) very clean
Beach when tide is out is beautiful
Pool area very pretty but not very much shade or a breeze
Pool activities throughout the day, i.e. Water volleyball
Activities also included art/craft classes’ poolside
You can walk a long way in both directions (there is no hotels to the right)
Entertainment all day: beach activities i.e. Dance lessons, beach games, etc.
Lobby has piano player /singer/or musician before & after dinner
Evening shows were very well done and entertaining
Lagoon room did have face clothes and toiletry bag, good water pressure
Our balcony did have two lounge chairs and 2 other chairs
Hotel Manager was on site along with the food manager

Food:

We only ate at the buffet as other people said other restaurants were basically the same foods and that the buffet had a largest selection of food:

Bread was fresh baked daily and tasted delicious
Desserts were always excellent
Fresh fish station, they cook to your tastes
Daily special, there would be a huge Roast or Turkey or Beef, or Ham
Pasta stations, you pick ingredients and they cook to taste
Fresh omelets made to order in the morning we wonderful
We loved the stir fry station for dinner, you could select, chicken, beef, pork or shrimp
They had a crepe bar where they made individual crepes, banana, and choc. etc.
Mornings included, fresh juice bar with smoothies too
Lunch we ate at the beach grill and enjoyed fresh grilled chicken fajitas
Cuba day we ate fresh grilled lobster and paella
A lot of fruit/veg was frozen or canned; there was a small selection of fresh daily

Not So Great:

The hotel was overbooked, however the hotel receptions staff said if we didn’t mind waiting for a couple of hours we would be upgraded to a Lagoon Room.
No one offered to get us a drink or show us around while we waited for our room.
The lagoon is very swampy and not cleaned
Our king sized bed was extremely hard
The pillow were very hard (I didn’t realize I could change it)
Our air conditioner only worked on high (the hotel was fixing the units in our building)
The fridge in our room stopped working and leaked a huge puddle of water on the floor
The iron in our room didn’t work
The bathroom was very dated and had dirty looking grout around tub
The drink cups they provide are child-sized cups
No drink service around the pool (except 1x daily coconuts drinks come around)
There is only one poor guy serving drinks running up and down the beach taking orders

Tip: If you pay to upgrade to a Lagoon Room, make sure it has been updated
Don't go when there is a full moon the tide is in and you lose the beach until noon

Yes the staff are very friendly and work very hard but tipping does make a HUGE difference to your experience and the level of service provided!!

So my final advice is: take money for tipping, gifts for maids, gifts for the gardeners (they deserve it the most) and take your Bubba mug but most of all take your chance on getting sick.

Room Tip: Make sure to ask for Non Smoking room! Basic room - get a second floor so you won't have a prob...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
MeliaCay0C0c0, General Manager at Melia Cayo Coco, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
Dear Customers,
We are truly sorry because due to illness you were not able to fully enjoy your holiday. I would like to let you know that there are not reported cases of diarrhea during your stay with us. We will be constantly moving forward on health and safety right practices in order to offer our customers a very safe holiday vacation. Parasites can be acquired at any country, and this hotel had been inspected by Health and Safety auditors on April 12th and 13th, concluding on positive results, leaving only a few recommendations which were immediately implemented. Regarding your comment on our lagoon, as we have previously stated on this site, our natural lagoon is cleaned on a daily basis to collect the garbage that accidentally gets into it. Whenever there is low tide, algae emerge from the bottom as part of a natural process we cannot stop. This may cause the impression of stagnant water, but it is not. Meliá Cayo Coco flags an environmental award for protecting the environment not only while building the hotel but also for maintaining this policy. Thank you very much for all your observations and suggestions. We will take action to rectify wrong doing and make sure future customers enjoy improved facilities and services in Meliá Cayo Coco.
With best regards,
Lancashire,England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

My wife and I have just returned from a 14 night stay at the Malia Cayo coco and despite a couple of little problems had a very good holiday.It is our fourth holiday in Cuba,and the second on the Cayos,having previously had an excellent holiday at the sister hotel Melia Cayo Guillarmo.We had booked a lagoon room and were a little put out to find that it was not ready for us despite arriving at around 16.15 hrs.We had to wait about an hour for it and the found it to be 5222 which is the last block on the lagoon,the room was clean but very tired and to make matters worse only 25 meters from the edge of the building site where the new hotel is being constructed .The noise from the piling machines was very loud.We were moved the next afternoon to a lovely room in block 39,which had been revamped.although unfortunately water poured through the old air con vents twice during rain storms,but the staff came and cleaned up the mess.The hotel must bite the bullit and not charge upgrade prices on the last three lagoon blocks,50,51 and 52 as the whole point of the upgrade is the extra peace and tranquility of having sunbeds on the balcony.
The hotel is now showing its age especially around the pool where the concrete is very rough on bare feet.
Enough of the bad points,the food in general is excellent with plenty of choice and the A La Cartes are well worth visiting especially the International,which was superb and the VIP breakfast a really nice touch.The vast majority of staff at this hotel are brilliant and do everything to make your stay memorable.Pool bar service was very good despite being very busy,Pepe made us laugh and would brighten anyones day.The animation team were excellent and we joined the dance classes and games,and my wife had an excellent pedicure.
Drinks quality was very good especially in the reception bar with a large choice of international drinks available.On the whole the holiday was good value for money and we will comback.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
MeliaCay0C0c0, General Manager at Melia Cayo Coco, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
Dear Customers,
Very glad to know you had an enjoyable holiday with us. Our apologies for not having your room ready on arrival. Although we do our very best to check all our customers in upon arrival, this may get complicated when the hotel is fully booked. You are right, room 5222 has not been modernized yet, but the good news on this is that the whole block will be closed from May 27th onwards for major renovations. We have had some minor disturbances in the last month, but the construction of the new hotel is going very slowly. However, since we are getting into slow season, we have scheduled to block those rooms which are located closer to building work. Thank you so much for your compliments on our staff. We know they are hotel best attribute and we are truly thankful for the way they serve you all, although we consider there is always room for improvement and we are constantly focused on it. When have booked to come back, please, send us a note with your requests for us to look after another "Enjoyable Holiday" in Meliá Cayo Coco.
Looking forward to seeing you again,
Niagara Falls
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

The Melia Cayo Coco is a lovely resort in a beautiful setting. My husband and I had the pleasure of spending a week here at the end of April, (April 25th - May 2nd). This was our 17th trip to Cuba but the first time to this area having previously vacationed in Varadero, (Sandals Royal Hicacos concierge suites, Paradisus Princesa del Mar Royal Suites, Beaches Varadero concierge), as well as the Paradisus Rio de Oro Royal Suites in Holguin, the former Royal Hideaway Ensenachos in Cayo Ensenachos, and the Royalton in Cayo Santa Maria.

We really enjoyed our stay. The weather was hot with a few scattered showers on two of the days but nothing that hampered either our beach and/or pool time.
We had booked a ground floor lagoon suite and were overall satisfied with our room. The furnishings were basic but more than adequate. It was a good size and kept meticulously clean. There definitely was no odour as some had mentioned and absolutely no garbage floating in the water. No problem with mosquitoes either. We enjoyed sitting on the terrace feeding the fish while we watched the sun set. We were in 2312 and thought it was a good location as it never seemed a far walk to the main areas of the resort, the pool or the beach.

The beach may be narrow and during hide tide the waves do come up pretty close to the loungers but we found it beautiful nonetheless and enjoyed our many walks in either direction. We usually went down around 8:30 in the morning to lay our towels down before heading off to breakfast and never had difficulty securing a lounger in our favourite shade hut by the dive shack.

The pool area is smaller than other resorts we have visited and there is an abundance of loungers but limited access to shade. This wouldn't be such a problem if patrons stopped reserving beds first thing in the morning for long hours without ever showing up to use them. Adding more umbrellas might help to alleviate this problem especially for those who cannot endure full exposure to sun.

We found the food to vary from very good to excellent. We had most breakfasts at Las Caletas on the lagoon. The staff were exceptional and quickly got to know us by name. We liked the small buffet selection of fruits, assorted cold cuts, cereals and pastries as well as the menu selections. The wait staff were friendly, personable and efficient. We always had lunch at the beach grill and enjoyed the barbecue. I think I became addicted to the rotisserie chicken as I had it daily. The salad, soup, hot selections and dessert on the self serve table were also fresh and a nice option for those who wanted a quick meal. We enjoyed all the a la cartes. The set menu at the International was a great way to try things you might otherwise not order. I chose the steak entree, my husband had the fish and both were very good. We did the Cuban twice. It's a lovely setting and we enjoyed both our meals there. Our favorite however was the Italian. Loved the minestrone soup, the gnocchi and the seafood pasta. Ramon and the rest of the staff do an excellent job attending to you and all your requests. Your wine glass is never empty for too long.
We were also impressed with the amount of musicians that perform each day either in the restaurants, beach grill or the lobby bar. The latter was such a nice place to hook up with new friends for a before or after dinner drink while listening to local groups perform their music and what a variety it was.

The staff is the heart of this resort and what sets it apart from so many others. They are so friendly, warm and caring. Always smiling, they really seem to enjoy what they are doing. From the first moment we stepped up to reception we were greeted warmly with smiles and that service was maintained throughout our entire stay. We arrived as strangers and by the end of one week were already starting to feel like family. The entertainment team is the most hard working of any we have encountered throughout our travels. They are never intrusive, yet always present encouraging you to join in the many ongoing activities. There is always something going on somewhere if you feel inclined to join up. Cuba Day at the Beach Grill was the best celebration we have experienced in our many Cuban travels. The music, dancing, food, all I can say is WOW, what a great job.
For us this was a 5* experience in a 4+ resort. It didn't have the glitz or glam of others we have visited but it made up for in overall ambience, comfort and attentive service. We are already planning a two week return hopefully in the fall as one week just wasn't enough.

We would definitely recommend the Melia Cayo Coco to anyone looking for a quiet and relaxing retreat with good food, great service and an excellent hardworking staff.

Dear Customers,
Thank you so much for reviewing your most recent stay in Cuba. It is very encouraging for us reading such positive comments especially when you have enjoyed recent stays in luxury properties in Cuba. Yes, our Suites have been renovated and are located in a magnificent setting, but we have still not provided them with the new furniture we have already bought, which explains your comment on old furniture. Within one month, they will all look brand new. We would also like to let you and all readers know we have added more shade on the beach area and will start with a project to favor the pool area in short term. In addition, we have implemented an internal procedure to collect all towels being placed to pre-reserve sun beds with the intention of enforcing this rule. Thank you for all your comments, especially those regarding our staff being considered by yourselves the heart of our hotel. They truly are.
With warmest regards, looking forward to seeing you again,
Santiago Innerarity

Been to Melia Cayo Coco? Share your experiences!