“Great trip, Feb 4th to 11th” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Iberostar Mojito

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Cayo Coco
Iberostar Mojito
You added Iberostar Mojito to your Saves list
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   Jardines del Rey | Jardines del Rey, Ciego de Avila, 69400, Cuba (Formerly Hotel La Laguna)   |
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Cayo Coco
Middleton, Canada
“Great trip, Feb 4th to 11th”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

Had a great room, 2306, shower was not hot enough though.Nice to sit out on the patio, but don't lock your self out as we did, had to get friends to call reception. Beach was beautiful, but it may be a bit of a walk for some. Really enjoyed Liz & Ally the animation staff, sweet girls. The cigar bar had wonderful entertainment, a Cuban band, the guitar player WOW,!! We went there a few nights but didn't see any other entertainment. We really enjoyed the Spanish Coffee at the lobby bar, staff was right on the ball there. The food was great to us, we went to all 3 of the a la cartes, it could have have been served hotter but it's Cuba and the buffet was pretty good too. It was nice to be close to Moron as we usually go to a resort on a Cayo Guillermo. This was a very nice change.

Room Tip: 2 story is nice to have privacy & leave things out to dry.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Director Genera... I, General Manager at Iberostar Mojito, responded to this review, February 28, 2014
Dear Guest,
We really thank you for having chosen our resort to spend your holidays and we appreciate that you have taken part of your precious time to write a review about your experience with us.
Great to hear you enjoyed your stay. You know sometimes when you are staying in a building which is far away from main technical building you have to leave the tap open for a while to let the water run so that it gets really hot since it takes time for the water to recirculate. Yes, the beach might be a little far above all for people who have difficulty for walking. Anyways we have the golf car which can bring people from and to the beach when they are not taking luggage to the rooms.
Good to hear you enjoyed the food as well.
Once again, we thank you for your considerations and are looking forward to seeing you sometime in the near future to share and enjoy with the Iberostar Mojito’s team. We will not spare efforts to make your next visit always better than your previous one.
See you soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (394)
Caledon, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014 via mobile

We just got back last night. We miss it already. This used to be part of el senator; they left and then it went downhill. Currently it seems like Iberostar is putting time and effort into breathing new life into it.

We brought our kids. Kids club is awesome. Amariliss is amazing; our kids loved her and we felt comfortable with her, such a sweet and loving woman. Face painting, colouring, activities, awesome.

The beach is the best I've been to. As good as pillar, really!! Not a joke.

Food. Excellent. Pasta, fish, pancakes, cheese, smoothies, not sure why anyone would complain. Very good food options. Note: do not bother with restaurants, buffet better.

Cigar lounge: the best feature. Feels like you are at a club. Music, Awesome. Cigars, awesome. Bartender, fantastic!! Freddy is quick, often by himself and deserves an award for his service.

Stark contrast to evening bartender at lobby, Ruben. He needs an attitude adjustment. His skill at bar tending is weak. Specifically, a dirty martini is cold and with some vermouth and green not black olive. Whiskey sour should not be sweet. I only say this because the day bartender in the lobby nailed these drinks. Everyone seemed intimidated by Ruben. When in fact many of the servers at the lobby were excellent!!!

Pool excellent

Gym excellent

General manager, always there and attentive. Was so happy when he saw my kids. Super service oriented. Professional AND approachable.

Overall. This place will be going up in rating soon! Sad to leave. Looking at going back soon.

• Stayed February 2014
Director Genera... I, General Manager at Iberostar Mojito, responded to this review, February 20, 2014
Dear Guest,
Yes, you are right. We have been rebuilding the resort since we arrived here and have made many positive changes and continue to do so as time passes by. We have a big support in our staff some of whom you got to know well.
Yes, the beach here is very nice and the pools are very well taken care and there is one only for adults as well as one only for children apart from the general one.
Kelowna, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014

We went from February 5-12. Thanks to Trip Advisor, we were able to review the various hotels on Cayo Coco and chose the Mojito. The staff were all very friendly. Our room door didn't shut very well (room 1817) and realized it was right behind the stage. We moved to room 1823 and didn't hear a sound. My cousins room (1816) had a leaky ceiling for a couple of days, but the staff were there immediately fixing the problems. The rooms were huge, we had ocean view, and I have nothing bad to say about it. I would recommend building 18 as it was the closest to everything. There are 3 floors in each building, with them being numbered 1801-1807 on the first floor, 1808-1816 on the second, and 1817-1824 on the 3rd, with the staircase in between the 8 rooms on each floor. We had no bugs or animals in our rooms (we heard a lady say she saw a mouse in her room on the first floor once). I would highly recommend getting rooms in the "higher" numbers on either the 2nd or 3rd floors, as they are on the opposite end from the stage, and there is no noise.

The only thing I would recommend is that you bring a pillow. Mine was fine, but we were a group of 8, in 3 rooms, and had some say that they had to sleep on a "sausage". We have 2 children, who didn't want to share a bed, and when I asked for a cot, one was brought up immediately.

The food was absolutely great! I'm not sure why there are so many bad reviews about Cuban food. There was always a pasta/pizza bar at the buffet, which the kids loved, and lots of ice cream! 2 kinds of fish, shrimp, pork chops, steak were always available to fry and there was always salad. There wasn't as much fruit (or types) as I was expecting, but I was content with the fresh bananas. mmmm...

The beach is the best we've even been to. Absolutely amazing!! The sand is like flour, you can walk forever. You can walk out in the water so far, and be only shoulder deep, and still see your toes. There is a spot basically right at the beach, that you can snorkel and see fish. I RECOMMEND you bring your own snorkels, as the ones the resort provides are not very good.

There was a lagoon at the Tryp resort next door that had flamingos that we checked out. There is a market at the round-about, which is about a 5 minute walk outside of the resort. There were also 2 craft shops on the beach (one at the Tryp resort and one in between the Mojito and Tryp) which were VERY happy with trading items, rather than getting money. They LOVE makeup and will trade top dollar for them. Purses and shoes were hot items as well. We had found out about the trade option at the end of our trip, and wished we had tried it out in Moron and Trinidad as well.

EXCURSIONS: We were rounded up to go to a beach party pretty much the moment we got off the bus, as we got in at 6 pm on Wednesday. It is $25/person and we went. Good experience, but I wouldn't take my kids again, as there were a couple of people falling over drunk, and some of the dancing on stage I had to cover my kids eyes.

Alain, the tennis pro, was the guy who told us about the party, and he ended up hanging out with us pretty much the entire time. He's a great guy. We didn't do any of the hotels excursions, which we were very happy about, as we ended up having a much better experience with Alain.

He took us to Moron for $40/person via private van. We went on the speed boat tour, alligator farm (got to hold an alligator and pelican), then he took us to his home, where we met his family (grandpa, mom, son) and had his grandpa's 10-year-old homemade wine and espressos, went to an AMAZING lunch ($15/person): lobster, calamari, shrimp, pork, beef, chicken, 2 kinds of rice, salad, vegetables, etc. We couldn't even eat half of it. We went touring the city, and everywhere we went, people knew him and he introduced us. He bought us sugar cane juice. All around a great day!

My daughter and I went on the 1 hour horse ride. I am an avid horse rider, and was disappointed in this. We were put on horses and our stirrups were not adjusted at all (mine were so short, and when I took my feet out, the guide came back and put my feet in again). They trotted the horses the entire time, basically down the highway for the majority of the time, through this amazing little brush patch (about 5 minutes) and then onto the beach where they took our pictures (about 10 minutes). Then back on the highway, back to the starting point. I told the people with us (one other couple) to just keep making the horses walk, as the man was getting very upset with the constant trotting. Oh well, I guess I can now say I rode a horse in Cuba. lol

The catamarans are included in the hotel. They are 4 person (or so) sailboats. We paid the guy $20/person ($10 for kids) to take us to this coral reef about 15 minutes away. COMPLETELY worth the money. We ended up doing this twice (the 2nd time was $15/person). The water and trip out to the reef was beautiful. As soon as we tied up to the buoy, there were so many fish that surrounded the boat, that I was scared to get in the water. Everyone else just jumped in and were just loving it! It took me about a half hour to work up my nerve, but once I was in and swam away from the boat, it was amazing. You basically don't even have to put your face in the water, as the fish are everywhere, but not so close that I was scared. (I'm not the best water person LOL). We were gone for about 1.5 hours, and some of my family wanted to stay out longer. We even saw a blowfish! BRING AN UNDERWATER CAMERA!

Alain took us to Trinidad, as I desperately wanted to go to Topes de Collantes. Look it up; you will want to go there as well! We left at 6 am and got back at 8 pm. He said that there was a dolphin excursion near Trinidad where the dolphins were in the ocean with you and lifted you out of the water, for $40/person. Unfortunately, he didn't realize they were closed on the Monday when we went, until that morning. We went straight to Trinidad to tour the city (it turned 500 years this year!). Alain had told us he had never been to Topes, but had been to Trinidad. I had a few reservations about him taking us, but as we had a good relationship, we let him take us. He drove one car, and he had another driver for the 2nd car (Diane). Trinidad is well worth the trip. The streets are all cobble-stone. There are people driving new cars, old cars, horse and buggy, pedal taxis and bicycles. There is a market where it is much cheaper than the resort shops, and even cheaper than Moron. We went to a museum (a mansion that was abandoned during the Castro time) that was the highest point of the city. After walking up 4 flights of "stairs" (90 steps), we were able to see the ocean, the entire city, mountain views, etc. It was amazing. We went for lunch at a place where there were tons of flies, and the food was okay. We headed out to Topes, which is about 45 minutes away. Beautiful countryside, and the winding road up the mountain was fabulous. You basically are driving about 10 km/hr up through the rainforest for about 20 minutes, through 2 villages, and then you hit a massive resort at the top. UNFORTUNATELY, we arrived at 3:30 pm, and the waterfalls closed at 3! I was so upset, as this was the one place I wanted to go, and we missed it, as Alain hadn't contacted the place, as he didn't know how to contact them. On the way down, we stopped at a look-out point, and took some amazing photos. there was also a local, who had a tarantula that he put on my husband and we got some cool pictures.
This trip was $70/person, with my 15-year-old was $35, and my 11-year-old was free. Even though we didn't get to the waterfalls (which look to be out of a movie), the trip was worth it.
We stopped at the side of the road where there were kids racing horses and playing soccer, and we handed out stuff we had brought down. I normally don't like doing this, but we couldn't find a church nearby, and the schools had already closed for the day.

Room Tip: Our room door didn't shut very well (room 1817) and realized it was right behind the stage. We...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Dear Guest,
We see you liked your stay and that you took many tours either water or land to get to know Cuba. Trinidad is one of the first villages built in Cuba.
Building 20 and 19 are also close to all the services. We have been doing some update starting by these buildings.
About food, we also have a menu for children in the a la carte restaurants. We try to have as much variety as we can but as we have said before that depends on the supplies.
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014

This was our 3rd visit to this property and our first visit as the "Iberostar Mojito". We had the most fabulous week Jan 27-Feb 3/14. We left winter and arrived in summer within a few hours. The weather was a perfect 25+ degrees all week. The employees at this hotel are wonderful individuals: they work very hard to enable guests to have a nice vacation. Thank you to Juan Carlos and Sandro at the pool restaurant, Ana in the lobby, Alex at the main pool, Roberto at the adult pool bar and Carlo, the gardener, among many many others. Their efforts made our vacation. The beach was beautiful: blue green water and white sand. The seaweed was raked daily along the stretch by the beach bar, further down the beach, the seaweed was a part of the beach, naturally. The food was by far the best we have ever had in Cuba: try the sea bass, cooked to order. Lots of vegetables and fresh baked bread. A variety of cheeses this time as well. Wonderful. I always appreciate the food because I know the employees do not get to eat the types of food that they provide to us. We enjoyed once again, taking the tourist bus to Playa Pilar for $5 return. Once there, we went to the Nautica Centre and paid $25 each for a snorkelling trip out to the private island and then to a coral reef/shipwreck. It was fabulous. The market was only a 5 minute walk and had lots of reasonable gifts.
We paid $825 each all inclusive for the week. Where else can you go for that to such a beautiful place? Other destinations that we looked at were double or triple that. Cayo Coco and Iberostar Mojito are a little bit of paradise. We hope to return again next year.
The fact that tourists reserve chairs everyday, the same people taking the same chairs in the same shaded spot for their whole visit is inconsiderate to the rest of us and they own that, not the resort.
If you go down, please consider taking deodorant for the employees and tylenol as it seems to be very difficult to get.
To the Managers of the Resort and all the employees, thank you from us for making our week fantastic.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
It is wonderful to hear that you have loved the service provided by our workers and you like many other guests we have had mention them by their name. They are our best asset in the resort since they are the ones who make your holidays
We agree with you that it is very disrespectful from many guests to mark the shaded spots with towels or other items. We have said it many times this is forbidden and if another guest arrives. He has the right to take the marked spot. Some people leave the towel on a chair and do not show up till 3 or 4 hours later as it has happened.
Barrie, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2014

We got back late January, sorry for the late review, it is tough to get anything done when all you want to do is go back...

This was my first time travelling to the Caribbean since I became a parent. Cayo Coco was the perfect place to start. There were no hassles from the plane to the resort like you may encounter in other Caribbean countries. The airport and bus were clean and modern and every person who assisted us did so in a warm and professional manor.

The Mojito was a mere 15 minute bus ride from the airport, we arrived late but were allowed to hit the buffet before checking in. The lobby was very nice, one of the more polished parts of the resort.

The room was average. Average beds, average linens, we all slept fine, tremendous sliding window but no balcony, typical bathrooms, typical safe. TV's were recently upgraded to flat screens with hdmi input, this allowed me to project my laptop onto the tv to play some night time cartoons for the kids. The wash rooms were clean and the staff did a nice job keeping it that way, tip em well!

We were without hot water for the first day, not sure why but that was the only negative issue as far as comfort goes.

After breakfast the next morning we ran for the beach, it was beautiful, the sand was the finest my toes have ever felt and the water was crystal clear. There are a few corals near the shore line and one or two further out but they are highly visible even with an overcast sky. We brought water shoes for the kids but did not use them. There are a few staff on the beach that will help you pick your spot for the day, they will bring your loungers to you and brush them off for you. The same guys that clear and groom the beach, these men do a fine job ,tip em well!
...oh and watch for sand fleas... disregard the complaints about being eaten alive, those people were asking for it, just leave the beach before it starts to cool down and you will be fine.

The food was above average, the buffet and salad bar always had enough to keep me satisfied and the options were different day by day. On top of that they had omelettes and pancakes made before you, waffles, fried doughnuts, baked tortilla chips with locally made salsas, fresh meat, seafood and poultry seasoned and grilled before you, and never forget the pasta stand, my son's favourite. All line ups were reasonable. The all day grill next to the pool was another excellent option. Pizzas, burgers, fried sandwiches, french fries, they have a lot to choose from, and a bar adjacent, we would sit in the shade and the wait staff were never long taking our orders. Tip em well! The Hawaiian pizzas were my favourite, the last thing I did on the resort before leaving was to sit at the grill and put away two of them.

We did not participate in any a la carte dinners but from what I hear we did not miss much.

We are non smokers so we did not hit the cigar lounge but I did walk through it one day, it was so swanky looking I almost wanted to start smoking again... nice sofas, big windows, big patio, big bar, live music, and a pool table, very nicely done!

The pools were on the cold side but warmer than Georgian Bay in the summertime! The were very clean as well. Alexander is the pool waiter and Axle is the swim up bartender, they were a fantastic duo, Axle kept my kids entertained with countless virgin concoctions and Alexander ensured that we never went dry, never had to leave our loungers. Tip em well!!

Entertainment was very entertaining. Chicago and the magic show were our favourite shows. Our kids both got to participate in the musical highlights show, they rehearsed with the kids club staff earlier that day! Adrian spearheaded most of the entertainment and was fabulous, as were all of the dancers, singers and live musicians. Also there was a fashion show one evening that was top notch. If you are into fashion have some cash handy and you may purchase a garment or two for as little as 30 peso, I wish I knew because some were very nice.

We were a bit disappointed to find the kids club pool pumped dry when we first showed up, but the kids club staff quickly made up for it, they were all truly remarkable and our kids fell in love with them instantly. Tip em well! The kids participated in a wide range of activities such as scavenger hunts, feeding flamingoes, sand castle contests, birthday parties and more, if the pool was operational I would be happy to give 5/5 for children activities. There were however a few 0.4 meter spots at the main pool.

Overall the Mojito is a sweet deal. I would have liked to see a higher lever of polish all around, more like the lobby and cigar lounge, maybe a bit more colour, all the buildings are painted off green colors, but this is all cosmetic stuff that Iberostar is slowly restoring. I hear from repeat customers (B&G) that it gets better every time they come. The true value lies in what really matters, the people. The staff at the Mojito really did make an effort to get to know us and provide us with superior service all around. By day two or three it seemed more like we were among friends than simply being served. I have been to a number of resorts in other countries and the Mojito really stood out in this regard. The groundskeepers were very friendly and helpful, Tip em well and they may make you a trendy hat or tiny trinket out of palm tree leaves.

We really hit the jackpot with the friends we made along the way and we are looking forward to seeing them again soon!! You all know who you are!! Whaaaaaaaat??!!

we will absolutely return...

Room Tip: Blocks 16 and 18 are a stone throw from the main pool, not as quiet but if you have a ground level r...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Dear Guest,
Your experience was a good one and so the ones from your children. It was a pity we had a technical problem with the children pool during those days, it is working now.
We keep on rehearsing shows to be able to reach 14 of them, that is, one per night for two weeks. There will be always some we will keep in the repertory since clients ask for them very much such as Chicago.
Our food, when we do not lack a certain supply is usually appreciated by our guests. We are happy to hear you liked it.
Yes, we keep on doing improvements as much as we can. We would like then to be faster but again sometimes it does not depend on ourselves only.
Thank you for praising our staff’s work. Yes, they are nice gem for our company.
Ottawa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2014

Just got back last night from a week at Iberostar Mojito. This is our 7th time to Cuba and I have to say this has easily been the best vacation to Cuba we've ever had.

Service is great. Rooms are a little dated but they are well maintained and very clean. Bed was super comfortable!

Food is very good... actually it has been the best we've had in Cuba.

Shows are decent and what we were really impressed by was that after the water ballet (great show!) They introduce all the managerial staff. From housecleaning to entertainment, everyone is acknowledged by the hotel manager Manuel. After that, they pop the champagne and greet everyone in celebration. We have never seen this before and it was a very nice touch.

Some interesting tidbits:
Fresh donuts are made every morning at the buffet you can get them anytime at the lobby bar (goes great with an espresso).

Stretching @ 10:30AM at the beach house or by the towel exchange is a great way to start your days... if you didn't have too many mojitos or rums the night before. Aerobics is right after if you feel like getting a sweat on and then you can jump in the pool for Aqua Fitness.

Fantastic Pina Coladas by the beach and pool!

Most days you can buy some great cigars (says my husband) from a guy that hand rolls them in the lobby.

About every second day there's a cookout by the pool. Don't miss the pig roast or rabbit, chicken & pork paella.

We only found out about this the last night there, but the cigar bar is Booming when there's a band there (every night except for 2 nights a week). So much fun! Check it out early in your week so you don't discover it last minute like us.

And finally, the water is filtered in all of Cayo Coco, so if you want, you can drink from the tap. We think that this is the reason we didn't get the Cuban poops, resulting in a solid holiday.

All joking aside, this was a great vacation to reset and relax and we will totally be returnin

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
As far as we can see you liked to enjoy all the activities going on in the hotel since you have them very well scheduled. We have placed a new board just outside the buffet with all the information so that our clients do not miss anything.
We like our guests to know who are the people managing this hotel and all the managers have to walk the areas and touch the problems, when there are, with their own hands as we say here in Cuba.
Yes, our water is filtered and chloride but if you are likeable to get stomach sick drink bottled one since even when the water is good it is different from the one you drink home and may cause you stomach disease.
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2014

I have been to this hotel many times over the years. What makes me and many others return to "our home away from home" is the staff. They are gracious, kind, polite and always go out of there way to make sure you are comfortable and have everything you need. Year after year you will find that they become family to you and live in your heart. The beach is spectacular with great snorkelling and a long stretch to enjoy long walks. The food is delicious, live music and entertainment is wonderful. A real treat this year was the band playing at the Cigar Lounge called "Tahiti"...you will not want to miss this group...phenomenal talents ( I am hoping that the management recognizes that this band should be the house band for the lounge).
You will enjoy this hotel, I promise....and as is the case with many who go there once...they are sure to return again. You will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: Buildings 18, 19, 20, 21 are close to everything....and centrally located.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Dear Guest,
We have many repeat guests over the years. To tell you the truth, in the past when we had bad times here, we got to have sometimes more repeat guests than first timers. Then we have to say thank you for your loyalty over the years. Every day there are more people joining to the Iberostar Mojito’s family. Yes, this is a nice band the one that we have at the cigar lounge but it is not only up to us whether to keep the band or not. It also depends on their interest
See you soon!

Been to Iberostar Mojito? Share your experiences!