“The best! I wouldn't hesitate to go back tomorrow!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Memories Caribe Beach Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Cayo Coco
Memories Caribe Beach Resort
Save Saved
You added Memories Caribe Beach Resort to your Saves list
Jardines del Rey, 67210, Cuba   |
Ranked #5 of 11 hotels in Cayo Coco
London, United Kingdom
“The best! I wouldn't hesitate to go back tomorrow!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2009

stayed13th-27th august
A british perspective!
After reading some of the reviews I was very open minded about what to expect.
All I can say is I don't know what people want from a holiday a butler? 24/7 attention? to click your fingers and get what you want when you want it? Be realistic and please read about the culture before you go. Cubans earn around 25 pesos a month and get very little so just keep that in mind ! I have treavelled through europe, asia,carribean australia malaysia etc etc etc and I WOULD GO BACK TO BLUE BAY TOMORROW if I could, infact my sister and I were praying for a delay of a week!

Right where do I start WOW WOW WOW! This was my second time to cayo coco and 9th time to cuba and I was not dissapointed with Blue bay! The grounds are maturing nicely at a rate the grass is now long, ok you won't get huge palm trees but the ups certainly outweigh the down points.
When we arrived we were greeted with very friendly staff who took us on a golfcart/van with our bags to our room. The guy driving gave us a quick tour of where everything was and explained about times and openings of buffet etc.
The room was large and very nicely decorated, I would say the best I have experienced, you get coffee machine, fridge t.v. and the aircon was extremely efficient.
The bathroom was really nice, water piping hot and the bath and shower worked well.
you get supplies of shampoo and conditioner and bath gel in the room and can ask for more when needed.
The public areas are well maintained and are linked by water ways with flamingos and birds. The site is not too big and it is easy to access everything quickly! Brilliant for disabled people. The pool is largeand very clean it has a swim up bar and it has a good friendly atmosphere during the day with activities going on but not overly so.
The beach is to die for, it is sole food for definate! when you arrive you can just sit for hours staring at the pure beauty of the place. There is a beach bar and activities such as volley and water aerobics and games during the day. But alternatively if your like me and you want relax during the day and not get too involved you arn't pushed to get involved.
There is a very nice childrens club/ creiche with many activities for kids. There is a games room gym and spa.
The buffet is pretty good, ok you wont get the variety of food you would get at home but then we live in a money obsessed society where anything is accessible if you want it. Cuba does not have an endless pot of the most exciting food. there is plenty of fish fresh grilled meats steak, chicken pork ..salad of varying types daily. People did complain they got sick of the same food but I always found something good to eat. The fresh baked cakes are particularly fantastic mmm mmm mmm:-)
The 24 hour snack bar keeps you fed and water all night long if you want it. There is also a piano bar and shops and stalls. The drinks are international brands and there is a wide variety of alcohol and soft drinks coffe and teas.
I would rate this hotel a 4 star cuban hotel any person who has been to turkey and greece will realise that this is a true 4 star. I think peoples expectations are just unrealistic this hotel was awesome!

Ok now to the entertainment! this deserves its own section as it made our holiday. The animation team are truly amazing! the last review said they were bored all I can say is HA!! Unfortunate for you! The animation staff do everything to keep your holiday exciting. We spent many nights in the disco with like minded crazy people of all ages and nationalities having great fun! Tuesday and Wednesday nights you can go with the animation staff to the cave disco which is a sweat pit but awesome. Thursday nights are beach party at the oasis hotel next door. All the other nights in between we didnt go to bed before 3.30 am. I need a holiday to rest from the holiday lets just say!
The hotel entertainment runs all day with the animation team keeping things fresh, the shows are great and very entertaining with dance shows, public participation shows and then acrobatic type shows, daily at 9.30 pm. Our favourite adorable Ery, Nick , Dany and Orly made our holiday the best it could have possibly been, they truly go all out to make your holiday! when you go you will see exactly what I mean.
Don't hesitate to go to this hotel! I have stayed at tryp cayo and I prefered bluebay. Its all on one level and the staff rooms and overall friendlyness of the place makes your holiday.
Please please please when you go take extra items like shampoo toileteries if you can, the staff really do need it desperately, they are very proud people but don't have very much at all, for axample most things the animation staff wear to look decent are given by tourists but they defianately could do with quite a lot more. the bar staff maids buffet staff always get tips and goods which is great but we noticed the people who are with you 24/7 and become friends get very little so if you can please address the balance, anything we have can be used. Please do a little reading about cuba before you go its vital to the enjoyment of your holiday.
this place is amazing! there are also plenty of tours on offer to havana, catamaran cruises, swimming with dolphins, trip to the local town moron. There is also a local acuavida spa which we planned to go to but had so much fun we forgot! If you have any questions don't hesitate to get in touch.

• Stayed August 2009

2,484 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (515)
quebec city
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2009

i chose that hotel for the beach and to be animated,me and my child

the beach is beautifull but the water is very shallow with a LOT of jelly fish,so snorkling with my seven year old was out of the question,no animation there.

the pool is huge with only shallow water,no animation there either except for a hour at 4 pm,bingo water polo and aquarobics,not a thing from 8am till 4 pm and only the basics.just to tell you i was the one taking out live crabs out of the pool each morning....not one staff around the pool all day.

the mini club was all but closed,pool was empty!

a small animation for the kids at 18 30,always the same with music and one animator

night animation is ok but your average 16 year old will do bether in his end of year show(except for the gymnast they had one night,great)

our room was like a lot of others near the animation,so if you want to sleep before midnight,ask for one far away.

nightclub is a joke

dont buy souvenirs at the boutique,price are double the ones from the airport

food is ok for cuba,always the same,but fruits were rare.by the way how hard is it to make a decent tomato sauce? most of the kids were on plain pasta by the end of the week.so take a big breakfast.

there are far better hotels for the price

i will add that this hotel is eight months old and will not stand the test of time,mold in the bathrooms,rust in the tub and mush more,a crab even came in my bathroom by going under the door(2 in ches under it)

fitness center was dirty to tell the least

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Mississauga
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2009

not much more I cann add to the latest reviews, so will keep it short
Sunwing flight was great, even though they pulled a fast one on us by stopping at Holgin on the way there.
quick customs, I think between exiting plane and getting to resort took no more then 40 minutes.
greeted with cold drinks upon arrival, fast check in
rooms very clean and spacious, never shortages of towels, or toilet paper, contrary to other reviews
food not great, but more then adequate, would be very hard not to find something to eat ,
does it get repetive? yes sometimes, but come on. does'n it at home as well?
grounds filling in very nice,, there are a few spots with some dirt still showing,, but ignore that and look at the beauty of it instead
al la cartes only did the international My choice, very well decorated, and food was good, heard the Italian was excelente as well.
staff, not one single complaint, from M'r Ademir the hotel manger, maids, grounds Keepers, Buffet staff the best I"ve seen, a special thanks to Zoe, it's people Like her that makes us want to go back and we will
lastly of course that BEACH, been to Carribean 12 times now, 8 to cuba, and I can honestly say it's right up there with the RHE one if not better. WARM WARM water very clean,
thinks that is enough any questions just ask,
Again thanks blue bay staff, for 10 wonderfull days. see you all soon

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2009

I have been to Cuba 8 times now and cann't wait until my next trip. The Blue Bay is now my favourite hotel. I have been there three times!
I agree with most of the other reviewers about the food being just "OK", but you never go hungry and the hamburgers at the 24hr bar are very good (especially at 3am!)
The beach is absolutely beautiful, fine white sand, and turquise water that is so shallow you can walk forever in!
The hotel and the beach are both very beautiful, but what keeps me going back are the staff!! They are some of the nicest, most sincere, fun people I have every met! They go out of their way to make sure you have a great time. The animation team is great, Orly, Dany, Negrin, Dany,Denis, Ery, and Anaid, you are the best... miss you already! If you want a great drink, Mario from the Beach bar is the Best, always ready witha big smile for you amd after the first day, always remembered what I liked to drink.
My favorite waiter was Rolando, he made the buffet so much fun!
All in all, it felt like a home away from home, and I am counting the days until I go back!!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2009

My husband and I just returned from Blue Bay, we were there from June20-27.. First off, let me tell you, ignore all the negative reviews previously written.. We had an amazing time, from the moment we arrived, we were treated with the feeling of family.. We were welcomed with smiles from everyone at the front desk, to the very friendly bell boys who took our luggage to our room..No-one asking for tips,... I might add. Our room was spacious, very clean and very close to the beach, as I had requested.... We had a king size bed, very clean and white sheets, no musty smell... The bathroom was very nice and modern, we were given a basket of shampoo, bath gel, soap, body lotion, and always had ample toilet paper.. If you needed more you just had to ask. We never experienced any water pressure problems or any problems with the air conditioner.. Our maid was wonderful, always keeping the room clean and sparkling, always creating lovely towel art, although, we did not leave any gifts, or money. Our mini fridge was stocked with one large bottle of water , one bottle of Coke and one bottle of Sprite.. Who cares,?, you can get all the drinks you need from all the bars, you just have to get your bottle of water refilled at the buffet or bars, whenever you need.We got a wake-up call every morning, and went to have breakfast, after that we would head down to the wonderful beach. As a previous person wrote, just walking down to that beach every morning, well... What can I say... WOW!!!!!!!! Just the sight of the blue water and the soft white sand... It truly make your soul sing!!!!!!!!! We basically spent all day from 9 AM, to around 6 Pm, going back to the buffet, or pool grill for lunch, around 1pm, then back to our haven under our palapa, we never went to the pool, although it looked nice, but was just too hot, they need to invest in some sort of shade, such as umbrellas, otherwise we might have spent some time there... We did notice that the best meal seemed to be at lunch at the buffet. More veggies, more fresh fruit, always a choice of meats and pastas, soup , ect.. The fresh bread was always available, both at breakfast and lunch. Dinner, however, was at sometimes, a little boring, some nights seemed to be just a rehash of the previous lunch fare.. This did not sway us however, as we do not go away to just eat, and because we have been to Cuba many times knew what o expect... In a nutshell, you will not starve, we always found something good to eat! We went to the International Alacarte, I enjoyed my meal, my husband not so much... The service was not that great, we had asked for the late sitting, and regretted it... The staff basically rushed us, we were not treated to any nice service, as others have experienced, were not offered coffee with dessert, just hurry up and eat,... or so we felt... Anyway, we made a hasty retreat to the buffet for the nice air conditioning, and also for coffee, and had a bit of a chuckle when we looked up to see everyone that was at the resteraunt, filing in after us!!!!! We also went to the Italian Ala Carte, but although the food may have been amazing, we had one course and ended up leaving!!!!!!! For one thing, everything I requested was not available, but also it was just too hot!!! They have this lovely high ceiling, building with lovely art, very open-aired, many windows, but no air conditioning!!! Also, due to the fact that it is so close to the beach, and the mangroves, was just too buggy! We tried to stick it out but we were just too uncomfortable! As a result, we did not choose to go to the Sea Food Alacarte, as it was in the same building!!( But this did not ruin our evening,) we just had a chuckle and moved on again to the lovely air conditioned Buffet!! ..Also, at the lobby bar, they will make you any coffee you ask for.. My husband loved the Spanish coffees, I loved the Iced coffees..To sum every thing up, we loved this hotel, and would go back in a heart beat, probably in another year, when the staff are more trained in the resteraunts and the foilage is more lush... we did see lovely trees and flowers being planted during our stay. Also, the walkway is being finished by the water sports center, as we speak. So there will be more ways to get to the beach...Let me tell you, this was one of our most memorable holidays in Cuba.. due to the lovely, amazing, beach, and the nice clean room, which is very important to us.....One word of advice,... just go with an open mind, but, if you are a foody or a very fussy person, or do not appreciate an amazing beach, just stay home!... I would definately return to this resort!!!!!!!!!!

hampshire,england
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2009

we went to the blue bay from june the 9th -23rd and would say this is one of the best beaches we have seen. the room we were given was very clean, the sheets and towels were changed daily.the service from the staff, maids, waiters/waitresses, bar staff ,ronaldo, pedro ,pino ,mario and john to mention just a few was excellent, nothing to much trouble for them. the animation team seem to work very hard although we did not go to the shows, has we have been to the carribean on many occasions, and the shows are nearly always the same.the gardens are already taken shape they changed a lot whilst we were there the gardeners always working on them. the buffet resturant was very clean with air con and no smoking,dont know about lacarte we did not use them. a nice idea was the look out tower you go to the top and see all over the location. now for the bad points,the water pressure to our room was very poor some times had to have cold showers, on one occassion they had there technicians working on the drains trying to sort out water pressure, the air con went out off action,we had to phone reception to find out what was happening was told it would be ok in half and hour. it was not had to have a cold shower before we went out, went to reception before retuning to room they said they had no idea when air con and water would be working properly, they then asked us if we would like to change rooms, we said we would have to has you could not possibly stay in a room without air con. they showed us to four rooms one off which already had someone staying in it, the other three well below the standard of our previous room, one off which was supposed to be a mini suite,by this time it was gone 11.15 so we took mini suite. and went to snack bar for night cap,whilst sat there to are amazement one of the technicians working down the drains walked through the snack bar behind the food preparation areas with the same dirty overalls on and helped himself to a drink and food. next day checked to see if air con in previous room was working maid told us it was, and asked for it back even though the water pressure was very poor meaning cold showers was given it back .the food in the buffet resturant did not cater for english no chips in all the time we were there. pasta chicken was all fat and bone squid ,octopus we lived on toast and ice cream. on a couple of occasions run out of toilet paper had to get some from lobby bar toilets,once rung reception was told they would sort it nothing happened until we saw rep next day .over all this hotel has the potential to become a very good hotel reception and management need to take notice from there other staff to realise who the holiday makers are.

Waterloo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2009

My boyfriend and I went to BlueBay June 13-20 and were not disappointed. I've now been to Cuba twice, DR once, and Mexico once, and I can say all resorts I've been have all of the same great qualities - beach, good food, nice sprawling landscape, big clean rooms. BlueBay was no different, but no better, than any place I've been. There are a few plusses and minuses I'll highlight.

Good points: Obviously the beach (the water was like a hot bath), Food was really good, great staff, snack bar had variety and is open 24/7.
The resort is huge (though the paths dont' make sense and don't lead directly anywhere), and the a la cartes were delicious.

The Catamaran trip was truly the highlight. Also, Sunwing was an amazing airline to fly with, we were fed and liquored up (for free) on the plane + got free rum in our room!

Bad points: As mentioned in nearly every review, the landscape has a ways to go. I can't really post any pictures proudly since most of the plants/grass are sparse and dying, but it will look gorgeous when it all grows in.

We had no hot water in our showers at all during the week except for the first two days, and the water pressure was extremely low. We showered in two different rooms and both were the same. Some say its normal in Cuba, but in Varadero last year we had amazing bubble baths and hot showers every night. Enough said!

The resort is nearly empty, so the daily entertainment is drab, the pool is constantly empty, and its very very quiet at night. This is good or bad, depending on what you want out of the trip.

Food selection was too sparse .. it tasted delicious, but there was never any hot veggie platters, mostly only beef/chicken/rice/pork. Its a very small buffet, and my boyfriend got a bit sickened eating there 10+ times for a week with the same things. This is normal at resorts of course, but this was the smallest buffet I'd been to.

In conclusion, for more seasoned travellers I'd probably pay the bit extra and go somewhere more established if any of the above items are a problem. For us however, we are looking for the best and cheapest deals .. so for the price we paid, we were able to overcome some of the downsides (even washing my long hair in freezing cold drips). This resort has everything you need if all you want is sunshine, relaxation, edible food, and a large nice resort on a budget (we paid 750 each). Was a great vacation!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Memories Caribe Beach Resort? Share your experiences!