“Amazing views, good food” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Black Spruce Restaurant

The Black Spruce Restaurant
Box 232, Norris Point, Gros Morne National Park, Newfoundland and Labrador A0K 3V0, Canada
Website
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Canadian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Ancaster, Canada
“Amazing views, good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

We stayed at Neddies Harbour Inn and had dinner there one evening. The location is spectacular, the people working in the restaurant and inn were very pleasant and helpful. The mean was good but I would not say it was gourmet. Serving sizes were perfect. The meal was expensive, but most restaurants in Newfoundland (both coasts) seem to be expensive. Neddies Harbour is worth visiting.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Neddies, Manager at The Black Spruce Restaurant, responded to this review, January 14, 2014
Thank you for your review. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay with us and your meal at our restaurant. Neddies Harbour is indeed a beautiful place. Thank you for staying and dining with us.

80% Recommend
Burlington, ON
“Lovely location but ......”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

This inn is very well appointed, the setting is awe-inspiring and the staff friendly but we found the food in the restaurant too expensive for what was provided. We are not penny-pinchers. We are perfectly willing to pay for quality, but not presentation alone. Though the meal was quite palatable and tasty, it was not worth the price. Those were Scandinavian prices in a place called Neddies Harbour. Incidentally, we loved our entire journey to Newfoundland, quaint names and all.

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Thank you for your review. I'm happy to read that you enjoyed our place however I am sorry you felt our restaurant prices were high. We are actually quite comparable with other restaurants in the area and certainly not priced on a Scandinavian scale as we strive to be as local as possible in all ways. Thank you for dining with us.
“A Long Time Favourite!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013 via mobile

This was not our first dinner here. Since the opening, Doug & I make a point of dining here whenever we're in town. The service, atmosphere and food are always excellent - they never disappoint! It always makes for such a great evening. For our most recent dinner we all had the beef tenderloin. It was cooked just right and was seasoned perfectly - very flavourful! With shared mussels for the appetizer - which were great - we had room for dessert. So glad we did! The white chocolate cheesecake and creme caramel made for a perfect ending!
Thanks to everyone here for providing such a wonderful place to dine - I'm looking forward to our next dinner before the season ends!

Visited September 2013
atcanad, Manager at The Black Spruce Restaurant, responded to this review, September 21, 2013
Thank you so much for your review. As one of our regular guests your feedback is very important to us. I'm happy to read that you had another enjoyable meal, just reading the description of your dinner is enough to make me hungry! Support from our local residents is so important in so many ways and I thank you for taking the time to write this review. Thanks again for dining with us, it's always a pleasure.
Toronto, Canada
“A special treat”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

It was our wedding anniversary and the staff made an effort to treat us with care. The food was beyond our expectations. Our desserts arrived on a large white platter with "Happy Anniversary" in chocolate script written across the plate. Lovely surprise.
Breakfast was very tasty but the hot table was not sufficiently heated so our French toast and eggs were almost cold. Minor complaints as otherwise the food was tasty. ( I did mention this and my complaint was well received.)

Visited August 2013
Thank you for your review. I'm so glad you decided you celebrate your Anniversary with us and also very happy that we had a part in making your day special. Thanks for the feedback on the breakfast, we would have been happy to warm it up for you at the time but we have also taken steps to correct this. Thank you so much for staying with us and also for dining with us.
St Johns,
“good views,”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

We were staying here and the restaurant was the easiest pallce to eat after a day walking and sight seeing. It may have be my palate but I found that most items were over seasoned with either salt for if a potatoe dish, white pepper. Presentation was good as was the portion size. The wine selection is quite good and well priced. I did think that it was a little overpriced, however you are also paying for some wonderful views. Although when we went they are starting to wind down as it is towards the end of the season, the staff were very helpfull and friendly. Every day there was a "catch of the day" special

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
atcanad, Manager at The Black Spruce Restaurant, responded to this review, September 7, 2013
Thank you for your review. I'm sorry that our seasoning wasn't to your taste and we would have been happy to prepare you another. I'm glad you enjoyed our setting, thank you for dining with us.