“An old favourite gone downhill” 3 of 5 stars

9 Beachy Cove Road, Portugal Cove, Newfoundland and Labrador A1M 2H1, Canada
709.895.3536
Improve this listing
St. John's, NL
“An old favourite gone downhill”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

I have dined here regularly over the years and brought loads of visitors with me. It always used to be a solid choice, rated among "Where to Eat in Canada", with consistently good food and good service. In the last year and a half, it has really gone downhill with slow, inattentive service and poorly cooked food. I'm really saddened to say that my most recent visit (with a load of visitors) was so bad that we were ready to walk out. Incredibly long waits, a number of ill-prepared and distracted servers, order mix ups even after the 2nd try, and sloppily presented, poor tasting food. I hope that whatever changes the palce has been undergoing get sorted out soon. It's not been "hit or miss", now almost always "miss" -- froma place I praise up and encourage others to visit and am then eating my words (and not a tasty dish). I hope things will change, and if so, my reference will change to reflect that. It used to be one of my favourite spots for traditional Newfoundland fare, but for now I will stop bringing people there because it's gotten so disappointing.

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

St. John's
“Good breakfast cheerful service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

Generous portions of eggs and bacon served with home fries. Cheerful service and great view. Unfortunately our peaceful morning was interrupted by a large party who moved and rearranged tables making it a bit noisy. The wait staff did their best to manage it gracefully.

Visited June 2013
Stephenville, Canada
“Great Newfoundland Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

This restaurant has a breathtaking view! The food was excellent. We had traditional Newfoundland food. Service was great and we received our food within a reasonable amount of time.

Visited June 2013
Harbour Grace, Canada
“Brunch at Beachy Cove”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

Food was really good and we enjoyed the toutons and eggs but the wait time was a little long and they did not provide a high chair. However I will defiantly visit again

Visited August 2012
Stockton, CA
“Very disappointed”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

I had planned ahead of time to visit this cafe during our visit to Newfoundland. Then, my cousin who lives in Portugal Cove stated they had the best "toutons" around (pan fried bread dough). When we arrived, we were seated fairly quickly but then sat for at least 20 minutes without any attention whatsoever until my sister-in-law asked that our order be taken. The response was, "I'm going to do that right now." When the waitress approached the table, she stated, "Have you decided then?" If we asked for our order to be taken, of course we have decided!! I asked how large the toutons were and was then told that they were all out of toutons. A large group had come in earlier and consumed them all I was told. At that point, I had lost my appetite and nothing else on the menu sounded appealing to me. We advised the waitress this was the reason we came in. No "sorry about that" or any suggestions of something else we might try. I then told her we would go somewhere else. Again, no "I'm sorry about that" or any type of apologetic response, just "okay" and took our menus. The next morning my cousin made us toutons for breakfast and I'm sure, without having tried the ones at Beachy Cove, that they were much, much better (and so was the service). Don't waste your time. There are plenty of other cafe's with a view of the water.

• Visited August 2012