“Recently remodeled, pleasant stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Clarenville Inn

You added Clarenville Inn to your Saves list
Clarenville Inn
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   134 Trans Canada Highway | Clarenville, Clarenville, Newfoundland and Labrador A0E 1J0, Canada   |
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Clarenville
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Illinois
“Recently remodeled, pleasant stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2011

We stayed one night at the Clarenville Inn and were very pleased with the hotel. Our room was on the first floor and had entrances from both an interior hallway as well as an exterior one. This gave it an appearance more like a motel or motor inn. The room itself was recently remodeled very nicely. Everything appeared to have been updated - bathroom, linens, furniture, etc. It was very nice and very clean. The rooms are all non-smoking. Our greeting upon arriving and assistance when checking out was very friendly and helpful. We also had a very nice meal in the hotel restaurant.

Overall, we were very pleased and pleasantly surprised with the hotel.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Halifax
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2010

We stayed at the Clarenville for one night, just a quick stop on our way back to St Johns. The hotel is directly on the highway, easy to find. We booked a room with a king size bed NON SMOKING, we were checked into room 139, do not stay in this room. The hotel is two stories so on our way downstairs to 139 the hallways seemed dingy and noisy, as we approached our room the smell of cigarette smoke was really strong (139 is the last room at the end). Upon entering our NON SMOKING room the smell of smoke was reallyh strong as well, clearly we were not going to stay in this room. I called the front desk to advise of the problem and she said it was a non smoking room and that the hotel could not control the smell, front desk agent did inform me that they did have 3 smoking rooms and of course one of them was right next door, We were moved to another room, the only thing they could offer was a double bed, so much for our king, the room did have a pull out couch as well. We were just happy to have a clean room.

As we could not get a comfortable sleep in a double bed I thought I would sleep on the pull out couch, big mistake, the springs seemed like they were coming through the mattress, Finally we put the pull out mattress ont he floor , much better as we did not want to move again.

The hotel was very noisy, paper thin walls. Not only do you get the noise from the hallway but the rooms on the first level are drive up motel style so you have a door to the outside as well. The hotel is located on a steep hill so the noise from the trucks trying to get up that hill starts early in the morning.

Upon checkout we advised the front desk staff of our unpleaant stay, ask for a discount from our $94 rate for our room problems. The older lady at the front desk informed us that she was the wrong person to talk to as we was a smoker and had no sympathy for our problem.

Overall the hotel is very old, seemed clean but the front desk staff need some customer service training. There are not very many hotels in this area, keep driving.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Vancouver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2009

Stayed here in Sept / Oct 2008 for 3 weeks on business. Rooms were clean and comfortable, with all the usual bits and pieces provided (TV, free wifi internet access, coffee and tea making, hair dryer, iron and board, bathroom with small selection of toiletries and a fridge). Bathroom also clean.
Rooms are a little on the old side, probably in need of some renovating here and there, as are the bathrooms, but it's nothing that detracted from my stay. In the summer of 2008 I believe there was quite the problem in the area with lots of flies, and I caught the tail end of this during my stay, with a good half dozen turning up in my room each day... not a problem for me since when I asked I was told about the problem, but still worth mentioning for an honest review. A Laundry was mentioned in the information pack in the rooms, but when I asked, I was advised that was no longer the case. that said, the staff cleaning the rooms were more than happy to do a load of laundry for me during my stay there, which was a great help.
Staff were very helpful and friendly, both in the hotel, and the restaurant and bar. Food was good, I'd recommend the moose burger if you're staying there at the right time.
Location is just on the main highway passing through Clarenville, so it couldn't be easier to find. It is a car ride into Clarenville proper though, unless you love walking...

Overall I was very satisfied with my stay there - only one real problem was that they had an ongoing problem with their internet connection failing at the time - but since it's now almost a year since I stayed there, I think that will have been sorted by now.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled on business

Been to Clarenville Inn? Share your experiences!