“Gourmet Breakfast!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Inn at Onancock

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Onancock
The Inn at Onancock
You added The Inn at Onancock to your Saves list
30 North Street, Onancock, VA 23417   |
Ranked #1 of 6 Onancock B&B and Inns
Ottawa
“Gourmet Breakfast!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2008

We recently spent three nights at the Inn at Onancock [pronounced a-NAN-cock] and found it to be as special as described by previous reviewers. The inn is located in the heart of Onancock and within easy walking distance of the shops and restaurants of the village. It is important to appreciate that Onancock is NOT St. Michael's MD. It is a small village that still feels like one but with a charming little commercial centre and several good restaurants. If you enjoy quiet strolls down tree-lined residential streets or kayaking on a serene creek, you will enjoy Onancock . We enjoyed the short stroll down to the town wharf for a drink on the wharf-side patio at Mallard's of the Wharf. on a couple of occasions to enjoy the late afternoon sun.

Bur for me, it is the inn and, in particular, the innkeepers, Kris and Lisa that made our visitto Onancock so special. They really understand the essence of the B&B experience. From the initial telephone call to make the reservation until the final good-bye in the parking lot, Kris and Lisa went beyond what would be expected to make us feel welcome in their home. We have stayed at many B&B's, and this is one of the best. In our initial phone call, Kris described the restaurants in town and made reservations for dinner at several of them for us well before we arrived. Because they understand that a good night's sleep is crucial to a pleasant and restful vacation the beds and linens are of an incredibly high standard (1000 thread count sheets, I think) and very, very comfortable. You can choose from several kinds of pillows which is of great value to someone like me (as I frequently travel with my own pillow because of the awful pillows that some B&B's provide).

But the real highlight of the inns is Lisa's cooking. Breakfast each morning was a culinary delight - fresh fruit [sometimes raw, sometimes baked or broiled] with yogurt and Lisa's delicious granola, then the main course [we had a roasted vegetable omelet one morning and light and fluffy pancakes with fresh peaches and maple syrup on another], then "dessert" [fruit tarts and fruit squares] plus freshly-made biscuits one morning [heavenly!] and lots of coffee, tea and juices. If you left the table hungry, it was really your own fault!

Many inns provide "snacks" in theafternoon [often a plate of cookies plus beverages] but Lisa and Kris host a cocktail hour each evening in the living room or on the spacious wrap-around porch, weather permitting. We were invited to join them to sample local and imported wines, served with cheese and crackers and canapes freshly-made by Lisa. Who knew that dried apricots wrapped in bacon could be so tasty! It was a great opportunity to get better acquainted with the innkeepers and get tips on things to see and do in the area from other guests.

I recommend the Inn at Onancock without hesitation and look forward to our return with anticipation.

• Liked — The innkeepers, the food and the beds!
  • Disliked — I can't think of anything
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Richmond, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2008

We spent an awesome weekend in August at the Inn - celebrating my birthday and our anniversary. We were joined by 2 other couples, good friends of ours from Richmond, VA and NJ. As seasoned B&B travelers, we have somewhat high expectations - and I have to say Kris and Lisa exceeded them all. Breakfasts were incredible! My husband is still raving over the light and fluffy biscuits as well as the poached eggs over crabcakes. Lisa and Kris were great hosts with recommendations for dinner - Hotel Charlotte was great; ice cream at the Island Creamery in Chincoteague was to die for, and the crab feast they helped arrange for our group one night was so much fun. The kayak trip with Bill Burnham was one of the highlights of our trip - we found the most beautiful shells! We are definitely planning to go back - SOON!!

• Liked — B&B Owners and location of Inn
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
middleburg va
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2008

Lisa & Kris have really done this the right way! Every aspect of our stay exceeded our expectations. It was like being at home - only better because of the gourmet breakfast, the feather topped beds, the jacuzzi...and more! You will be so pleased to stay here! Paul & Sandy - Middleburg VA

• Liked — Plush linens, fine toiletries
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
Annapolis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2008

I read about The Inn at Onancock in a Chesapeake Bay lifestyle magazine and thought it looked far more beautiful and interesting than most b&bs, but my husband and I hadn't had the time to visit until this past May '08. There was a recent death in our family and I was trying to heal and find my balance again.

It seems incredible to say that a long weekend away at The Inn did the trick, and of course it isn't that simple. But those few days and nights spent in that lovely and restful environment among warm and interesting people (both our hosts and fellow guests) was just what we both needed.

Our first impression was how marvelously clean and new the interior was within the glorious Victorian beauty of the house. We dislike the musty knick-knack stuffed b&bs that are so common. The Inn boasts five unique guest rooms that reflect classic travel themes (the Maine room, the Tuscan room, etc), and the decor of each is fresh and of the highest quality. Our hosts, Lisa and Kris, have an eye for every detail throughout the property: nothing goes unattended to from the fluffy spa robes, to the 1000 thread count sheets on the beds, to the bath rooms outfitted for luxury.

My slightly depressed mood inclined me to skip the "Wine Down" but my husband wisely encouraged our participation. And participate we did, sitting in the elegant garden patio area with our hosts and other guests for several hours! The wines were excellent, ditto the cheeses. Our dinner at nearby Bizzotto's later in the evening was excellent, really great, fresh, inventive food.

Lisa creates splendid breakfasts each morning for her guests, and these together with the offerings at "Wine Down" make The Inn an unexpected value for your dining dollars.

My husband and I spent our visit to Onancock quietly, enjoying walking around the little town, shopping, and relaxing in The Inn's large and gracious common rooms during evening thunderstorms. We enjoyed just being together in this splendid Victorian renovated by a world-class decorator and staffed with people who were committed to making us comfortable and welcome. There are plenty of other activities to explore in the area, about which our hosts were very knowledgeable.

Before we left, we booked our next visit for our anniversary in the fall. After our recent summer vacation with our three children, we are both seriously ready to return to The Inn at Onancock!

• Liked — Our hosts and the gorgeous, luxurious, clean Inn itself!
  • Disliked — Nothing - it really was near-perfect (perfect being if it had been located in Rome, Italy!)
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
Virginia Beach
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2008

I spent a good amount of time online researching surprise weekend getaway options for myself & my significant other. I located a few B&B's on the Eastern Shore and directly contacted several via their websites (email). I received a nearly immediate response from The Inn at Onancock. I had already been impressed by their website and the testimonials, but their prompt response was impressive. Kris & Lisa inquired as to my expectations & desires for the weekend & advised me as to our options. The Inn was nearly booked for the weekend, however the Provence room was still available. I decided to move ahead with The Inn for our getaway.

Kris & Lisa were instrumental in the successful planning of our weekend. With their assistance, our weekend was quickly & easily arranged - dinner reservations at the Charlotte on Friday evening (we recommend the prime rib, crab cakes, & goat cheese/red pepper pizza), a kayak trip w/ a basket lunch (prepared by Lisa) on Saturday, & dinner at Bizzotto's on Saturday evening (try the sea bass!).

The weekend was a surprise for my significant other, so he was very interested when we pulled up to The Inn - this was his first b&b experience. We were greeted by Kris & Lisa immediately. I later stated that it felt like coming home after having moved away - Kris & Lisa are SO hospitable! Lisa gave us a tour of the home - let me say that EVERY room is absolutely beautiful - you CAN'T make a bad choice!

As I had planned, we arrived at 6:00pm just in time for 'wine down hour'. The wine, cheese, & social time were wonderful! Our dinner reservations at 8:00pm allowed us just enough time to 'wine down' & get ready to go. The Charlotte restaurant is a short walk from The Inn. Although the menu choices were limited, we were both very pleased with our meals.

On Saturday morning, we finally experienced the long-awaited breakfast. Lisa prepared amazing baked blueberry french toast, a torte, and fruit for breakfast - truly divine! It was soon time to head off to meet Bill for our half-day kayak trip. Lisa handed me our lunch & off we went. At the wharf (a 5-minute walk from The Inn), we were provided with a map & equipment. Within ten minutes, we were off & paddling. It was so relaxing! We arrived at the private beach & proceeded to eat lunch - nicoise salads with seared tuna, a loaf of fresh bread, a bottle of Chardonnay which we both had loved the previous night, a picnic blanket, & all necessary utensils. It was an unforgettable experience sitting on a blanket on a private beach eating such a magnificent meal with my significant other.

We arrived back from our trip around 3:30pm & proceeded to walk around town. There are several cute shops worth exploring. Back at The Inn, we took time to rest prior to dinner - the peace & quiet at The Inn all day & night allow for perfect sleeping conditions. We dined at Bizzotto's at 7:00pm, which was very impressive. The atmosphere is very comfortable & the menu options are ample.

If you have concerns about the b&b concept, DON'T! Lisa & Kris are only as involved in your trip as you want them to be. They are there if you need them - otherwise you go & do your own thing. The conversation with them was always fascinating as they both are very active in the community, familiar with the history, & huge promoters of Onancock - for good reason. We intentionally stopped to speak with them as we left & returned from each outing. It was so entertaining discussing local history, activities, cuisine, etc.

We just returned from Onancock last evening & I'm already on the website checking for availability over the next couple of months. That, in itself, should tell you something!

If you are looking for a quiet, simple, relaxed way of life, do not hesitate to contact Lisa & Kris. I can tell you from experience - they will work with you to set up every detail of the getaway. KUDOS to you, Lisa & Kris, for providing us with a superbly clean, comfortable, pampering home in which to relax & get away from our busy lives! We will be back soon!

Belisa & Wayne, Virginia Beach

• Liked — Peace, tranquility, hospitality, outstanding food & wine
  • Disliked — That we had to leave.... ) :
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2008

I booked the Inn at Onancock for two nights the weekend after Valentine's Day as a getaway from DC. What really sold me initially was the promise of an updated bathroom with an air bubble tub and a gas fireplace in the room, and the Inn lived up to all my expectations.

When we arrived, we were kindly greeted by Sam, the owners' friendly dog. Owners Kris and Lisa gave us a quick tour and led us to the perfectly appointed Williamsburg room. I had prearranged for their Valentine's Day package which included a bottle of champagne and a dozen roses for an extra $100. When we walked in the room, a bottle of Perrier-Jouet champagne was chilling and the rose bouquet was arranged very nicely in a glass vase, definitely worth the cost. We enjoyed our champagne and took a quick walk down to the harbor of the small town of Onancock. One thing to note about the town, it's not exactly busy during the winter. If you're looking for an atmosphere similar to St. Michael's in Maryland, this is not it. If you're looking for a VERY quiet town and an opportunity to just hang out, this is it.

Each night from 6-7pm, the owners host what they call "Wine Down Hour" in the main living room area, with complimentary wine and hors d’oeuvres for the guests. They had a full house our first night there and we had a nice time mingling with our hosts and the other guests. Again, a great deal as I maybe took a little too much liberty by having about 3 glasses of the wine. Lisa's appetizers were excellent as well.

The next morning, we slept in and missed the included home style breakfast prepared by Lisa. We definitely regretted it, but had a tasty brunch at the Inn and Garden Cafe just down the road. We made it a point to wake up for the 8:30am breakfast prepared by Lisa the next morning, and it was worth getting up "early" for!

Our room had a TV, but I also should mention that there is a family room on the first floor with a large flat screen TV and additional premium channels if you're interested. Additionally, just outside our room there was an automatic coffee machine that uses the disposable single-cup pods, and a mini-fridge with plenty of complimentary water or soda. The entire house was remodeled before the owners opened the Inn just over a year ago, and you can tell. Our room was great, very quaint, but with all the modern amenities you could want. Again, we had a large air bubble tub with room for two, gas fireplace with remote, small flat screen TV, and CD/radio/alarm player. My only recommendation is that they add pictures of the bathrooms to their website; I think this would help sell it even more!

To sum up, I would highly recommend this Inn. Everything need seemed to have been taken into consideration, and Kris and Lisa are superb hosts that are involved just enough in their guests' experience. If you're looking for lots of yuppie shops and the charm of St. Michael's, Onancock might not be for you. But if you want a nice, relaxing place to get away from the stress of everyday life, I would highly recommend you visit the Inn at Onancock.

• Liked — Modern amenities in a quaint package
  • Disliked — The town of Onancock is pretty quiet
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
Naptown
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2007

Lisa and Kris made us feel welcome from the moment we walked in the door. They are personable, wonderful hosts and have done an amazing job of renovating a beautiful house.

We stayed in the Maine room, on the top floor of the Inn. It was tastefully decorated and very clean. The room was cozy and the bathroom was spectacular- especially the jacuzzi tub built for two (although it would have been nice to have a separate shower as well). A towel warmer and toiletries made for the Inn were a great addition to the bathroom experience.

The food, prepared by Lisa was out of this world and the perfect way to start each day. The "wine down hour" each afternoon with wine chosen specifically for the Inn and hors d'oeuvres made getting to know the innkeepers and other guests quite enjoyable. Near the rooms there was also a refrigerator stocked with cold drinks and a coffee bar available all day.

If you're looking for a quiet, quaint seaport town for your getaway, Onancock is a gem. Try Bizzotto's for dinner and some interesting art. If you need a second breakfast or a sweet snack check out the Corner Bakery. Take Lisa and Kris' recommendations on everything around town- and out. Chincoteague is a short drive away and well-worth the trip to the beach.

• Liked — Our room, the food and the great hosts
  • Disliked — Small range of activities/sites in town
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to The Inn at Onancock? Share your experiences!