“The Place for Great Soft Shell Crabs” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #3 of 13 Restaurants in Onancock
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Entertaining clients, Dining on a budget, Doing business, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Waterfront dining with an upscale casual seafood focused menu. Specializing in the use of Local, sustainable and fresh products with an award winning chef.
Alexandria, Virginia
“The Place for Great Soft Shell Crabs”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

We love Mallard's soft shell crabs--flash-fried, "whale" size, and irresistibly delicious. They get them fresh from Williams Seafood Co., and twice now I have had Jimmies which endear me to this place.

I love the crunch and sweetness of the crab. The chef uses minimal seasonings and the crabs are very lightly dressed. Just the sweet goodness of the Blue crab on your palate! Each order comes with two crabs, lightly grilled thin asparagus spears, garlic mashed potatoes, and dollops of chipotle aioli--all outstanding. Dinner includes soft yeasty rolls and butter. Salads are very good, too, with a delicious light garlic dressing.

This restaurant is right at the marina with outside seating or blue linen tablecloth seating inside with window views in a small intimate setting.

Great service! Our waitress was new, but clearly had professional experience. What a pleasure.

Highly recommend, and definitely worth a side trip.

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Philadelphia
“Excellent crab cakes with a view of the creek”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

My wife and I had dinner here and sat on the dock. The crab cakes I had were delicious, made of jumbo lump crab meat. I also had a Mojito, which was generously sized. Make sure to have the Smith Island cake, which I had to fight my wife for! We went around sunset and just had a lovely time!

Visited August 2012
Accomac
“This is not a photo of Mallards at the Wharf in Onancock”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

This is Mallards sandwich shop in Accomac. Open for lunch Monday through Friday. Nice basic sandwiches.

Visited August 2012
Roanoke Rapids, North Carolina
“Ambiance!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

This is an adorable restaurant in what looks like an old-timey house. It sits right on the bay and the sunset was nice. They had a GREAT band, "Mid life crisis", outside. And whoever the outside bartender was that night, remembered our drink order every time without us having to even tell him! We just ate appetizers... but they were yummy!

Visited September 2012
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Lackluster Dinner with Poor Service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

I've been to Mallards several times for lunch and enjoyed their sandwiches. I've always thought it to be slightly over-priced but good. I went to dinner there with a party of six. We were served relatively promptly. However, our meals came out at very different times. We felt bad eating while others were waiting but finally had to. Our meals (the first ones out) were slightly cool when we decided to eat. The others in our party were still waiting. I ordered a house side salad that was served extremely cold, because it was half frozen. The lettuce was crunchy and icy. I also ordered the shrimp and grits (an appetizer that I ordered for my entree). This was a reasonably good dish, but I bit into a bite and crunched on a huge piece of garlic! I like the flavor of garlic in foods, but I really didn't like the whole piece! At the end of our meal, the waiter was unable to split the bill when we requested. It was 6 ladies there with credit cards, and we struggled to sort everything out. The only alternative was to split the bill evenly despite what everyone ordered. As a sidenote, one member of my party bought a gift certificate and was given a bent and scratched card with no gift card envelope for it. Our waiter also struggled to service our table without brushing the ladies' shoulders. All in all, I would not reccomend this restaurant for dinner.

• Visited September 2012