“Couldn't fault it” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Woking
Guildford, United Kingdom
“Couldn't fault it”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2012

We have just had our wedding at Gorse Hill and the venue couldn't have been more perfect. Many family and friends stayed at Gorse Hill the wedding night and the night before, some in the main house and some in the annex- both types of rooms were ideal- the main house rooms were larger and more modern, with the annex rooms slightly dated but still did the job and there is a price difference in the room rates in line with this so both types were fairly priced. From the moment everyone arrived and whist we have been having preparation meetings everyone has commented to us how lovely and accomodating the staff have been. On the actual day the staff knew exactly what they were doing and everything ran so smoothly we didn't have to worry about a thing! Thanks to all at Gorse Hill.

Room Tip: Main house rooms have been updated and they are immaculate, annex rooms still clean and tidy just sl...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
South East
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2012

Stayed this week for one night and first impressions are nice country style elegance and booking in etc all very smooth so was quite happy

Rooms are spread out in different buildings and mine seemed a fair way from the reception up and down multiple flights of stairs which I later discovered could have been avoided had I not been told to go through a door directly opposite the courtyard by the receptionist!

Room was fairly small although bathroom was almost the same size again which felt like wasted space, bed also a little on small size almost between a single and a double but the TV was something else, a 14" portable from the 90's I suspect so almost unwatchable if sat on the bed!

The room was also a little tired, some peeling paintwork, the windows old wood and rattled (and freezing cold air negating the radiator directly underneath)

Ok so that's the not so good but now for the good, the wifi was fabulous, speed/quality beat most of the 5* hotels I have stayed in and not to mention it was free!! The room service was excellent and again very well priced and delivered in good time

I can't comment on the bar/restaurant as I didn't use them, I would recommend Gorse Hill as an economical one night hotel (which is a little off the beaten track) but probably wouldn't want to stay for anything longer than a night

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
GMGorseHill, General Manager at De Vere Venues Gorse Hill, responded to this review, February 8, 2012
Dear Guest

The team at Gorse Hill would like to thank you for your feedback on Trip Advisor dated February 2nd

We greatly appreciate the time you have taken to give a review on our venue. I am glad that first impressions of our Venue are good, however i must apologise if the room was not at standards you expect. We are currently working through all of our standard rooms to give them the update they need (including up to date televisions!) I hope that you will choose to stay with us again and see the improvements made.

Please do contact me directly if you will be returning to Gorse Hill, it would be a pleasure to have you with us again.

London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

I stayed on a Sunday night in January ahead of a business trip. The room was well-appointed and very comfortable (if quite small). The staff were friendly, and for the price I was very impressed.
I had to leave very early so did not have breakfast, but the tea & coffee facilites in the room were very good.
It was in a quiet location.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
GMGorseHill, General Manager at De Vere Venues Gorse Hill, responded to this review, January 31, 2012
Dear Guest

The team at Gorse Hill would like to thank you for your feedback on Trip Advisor dated January 30th.

We greatly appreciate the time you have taken to give a positive review on our venue. I am glad you were able to take advantage of our promotional offers. Hopefully next time you will have time to stop and enjoy our buffet breakfast.

Wales
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2012

I usually stay at De Vere in Ascot but it was full so I paid extra to stay at Gorse Hill. The extra money was worth it. The room was twice the size that I normally had and service from staff was exceptional. The house and grounds are lovely. I decided to stay there again the following week and was disappointed that it was full but hope to return again.

Room Tip: Rooms are either in the main building or the annex. I stayed in the main building which was great f...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
GMGorseHill, General Manager at De Vere Venues Gorse Hill, responded to this review, January 28, 2012
Dear Guest

The team at Gorse Hill would like to thank you for your feedback on Trip Advisor dated January 24th

We greatly appreciate the time you have taken to give a positive review on our venue. I must say I am most grateful for Sunningdale Park being fully booked as this has given us the opportunity to shine for you!

London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2012

Booked through booking.com where there were three room offers - very cheap, standard double, and executive double which included a photograph and was described as having large seating areas, large dressing tables, etc. We booked the best room, but found we had been given the less expensive room displayed on booking.com ie. no seating areas, just a lone chair, and no dressing tables. As we had already been out for dinner and a meeting as well as unpacked, we were not prepared to move and settled for a reduced room charge. I did learn that all the rooms like the one I was expecting were empty. Then went to shower and found there was no shampoo. Sigh. Staff delivered some to my door within a few minutes.

On the good side, staff were friendly and the standard room was clean, nicely decorated with large bathroom, large TV, free wi-fi (poor performance, but good enough), and a comfortable bed. We had a quiet night and no complaints about the quality of the room except that it was not what we booked.

Gorse Hill is a business conference hotel so weekend guests should be prepared for a variable experience. For example, due to low occupancy the hotel's restaurant was closed. This is not unreasonable, but travellers who are without a car should consider a more central location. Nevetheless, if you get what you booked, you are getting a room that is better than the special rate. Be sure to ask before you accept the room.

This is not the first time I have been booked into a lesser room and is seems to be common, but it is the first time that the hotel manager has dealt with the problem immediately and to my satisfaction. The manager met me the following morning, explained what had happened and we came to an agreement about how to set it right without being ridiculous about things.

We will return and give them another opportunity.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest

The team at Gorse Hill would like to thank you for your feedback on Trip Advisor dated January 23rd.

We greatly appreciate the time you have taken to give a positive review on our venue. I must apologise for the mistake made in the allocation of your room, however I am glad that we were able to suitably rectify the problem for you. I am pleased that this has not lessened your opinion of Gorse Hill and trust that you will consider staying with us again.

Please do contact my Operations Manager Andrew, whom I believe you spoke with on the day, or myself if you will be returning to Gorse Hill, it would be a pleasure to have you with us again.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2012 via mobile

Recommeded deve hotels by a friend so signed up to their website. Partners birthday was coming up so booked one nights stay on an email offer they sent out. The room was freezing cold, one small rad. Scuff marks all over the walls. Stained single scatter cushion on bed. Very hard and uncompfy bed at that. Bathroom mouldy, hairs from previos guests everywhere. Bar of soap half opened. No dressing gown. Filthy phone in room..great big old tv with very bad picture...i would struggle to find a single positve in our nights stay at this hotel. It make the travel lodge look like a 5*. We slept in our clothes as we were so cold and had such a bad nights sleep left first thing in the morning. Girl at reception eho took my bill didnt even ask if i enjoyed my stay! (probably for the best) she was about as interested in her job as the man who checked us in the night before. The staff couldnt care less and that is very obvious. I would stay there again if it were free. Sadly a really dissapointing night. I would suggest to the management a mistery shopper might be a good idea. Such a shame as the internet gives the impression of such a nice hotel. I wont be returning-a complete waste of money im afraid. They are wasting a very nice setting there. If u dhave to stay a noght at this place..do not go there with high expectations. Its not what it says on the tin.

• Stayed January 2012
GMGorseHill, Front Office Manager at De Vere Venues Gorse Hill, responded to this review, January 17, 2012
Dear Sir/Madam,

Could you please provide me with the name the booking was made under and also the date you stayed as I will need to investigate this further.

Please accept my sincere apologies on behalf of Gorse Hill for the expiereiance you had at our Venue.

Kindest Regards,

Georgina Holloway
Surrey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2012

The wedding was held on Thursday 29th December. We chose this hotel for the following reasons: the layout of the function rooms meant the reception, meal and evening entertainments could be separate but still be connected; guests could stay overnight at a reasonable rate; the setting traditional and the food absolutely wonderful. This meant that there were no 'cold areas' - everyone could see what was going on whether dancing or chatting and having a drink at the bar. It made for a wonderful, warm and cosy atmosphere. Of course, all the Christmas decorations, logs fires etc., did contribute to this.

We found the staff helpful and amenable to any suggestions. They went out of their way to make this a very enjoyable and stress free day. The pre-arrangements were thorough.

My only suggestion is - limit your guests - any more than 70/75 makes the dining room very tight on space. They have another room where the band/disco and dance floor can be set up - waiting for tables to be removed, dance floor to be laid and the band/disco to set up is a definite no-no! There are four rooms - reception, dining, dancing and bar - all located in the same area and interconnected - perfect. Everyone can be part of the proceedings but can chose their spot according to how they feel at the time - dance, drink or chat!

The hotel rates are very reasonable for wedding parties and therefore 95% of our guests stayed the night - this made for a relaxing evening because no-one had to think about driving or getting taxis. The bar stays open until all the guests disappear to their rooms.

We wanted the reception time to last a little longer so instead of just 'canapes' we had some of the starter bits as well so when we sat down for the meal - we were straight into the main course. This worked so well for us.

We had a great breakfast the next morning and some guests strolled around the grounds first. It is a lovely setting. Yes, as someone wrote, it is isolated - but this was not an issue for us - quite the opposite. The setting was one of its plus points.

I would say that the food was absolutely wonderful. I got so many compliments from our guests saying how good it was.

All in all - as I said, an excellent wedding venue.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Dear Guest

The team at Gorse Hill would like to thank you for your feedback on Trip Advisor dated January 10th

We greatly appreciate the time you have taken to give a positive review on our venue. I am glad that we were able to provide you with the venue and service to meet your expectations on such a special occasion. We pride ourselves on giving a personal experience and I am pleased we were able to tailor our venue to your needs and give you and your guests a memorable experience

Please do contact me directly if you will be returning to Gorse Hill, it would be a pleasure to have you with us again (perhaps for your first anniversary!)

De Vere Venues, Gorse Hill, Hook Heath Road, Woking, Surrey, GU22 OQH

Been to De Vere Venues Gorse Hill? Share your experiences!