“Xmas lunch - great!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sands at Bleak House

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Woking
Sands at Bleak House
You added Sands at Bleak House to your Saves list
Chertsey Road, Woking GU21 5NL , England   |
Ranked #8 of 17 Woking B&B and Inns
Crawley, United Kingdom
“Xmas lunch - great!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2013 via mobile

10 of us for a Xmas set menu. Really warm welcome. Fantastic food! I had salmon, roast turkey mad Xmas pud. I really enjoyed the fresh flavours, well cooked and presented dishes and it was excellent quality!!

We will return. Very well done

Stayed December 2013, traveled on business

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Alton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013 via mobile

I did not stay here but I went here for a Sunday Roast, which was very nice. The pub is very nicely decorated. The roast beef was some of the nicest meat I have eaten and the gravy was delicious, the only thing that could be improved was the potatoes could be a bit crispier and the Yorkshire pudding less over cooked. The desserts were very nice too and the service was good even thought they were busy. I would defiantly go back.

• Stayed September 2013
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for a family wedding nearby. For £90 a night I would have expected a decent breakfast.
Instead we had to help ourselves to old croissants and cereals in the shared breakfast area. With no chairs in the bedroom, there is no where to sit and eat.
We were also only provided with 2 pints of milk for 8 adults consequently we ran out. There was no fresh coffee as described on the website.

There was no one on reception until 10am on the Sunday morning of our departure - so I had to ring and pay over the phone when I returned home. They should have informed us of this, very unprofessional in my opinion.

To top it all my Aunty, who had initially reserved the rooms with her credit card, received a phonecall demanding payment of £90 for food and drink that had not been payed for. This was an error on the hotels part! More hassle!!

Poor management/over priced/misleading regarding breakfast.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Bristol, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

I've stayed at Sands for one night only, on my own, on business.

The location was ideal, for its vicinity to my final destination nearby, and the accommodation would have been acceptable… had it been for half the cost: I don’t feel the price they charge for a room in single occupancy reflects the service they provide. The website promises an accommodation in a ‘cosy setting’ plus a continental breakfast with a ‘delicious fresh baked pastry’. I don't feel that's what I got!

Ok, the staff was impeccable and the room clean, organised and well kept. The bathroom was spotless and the shower tap with thermostat a very nice find. However…

- The room was tiny; it’s ok for a single occupant, but a couple would have to literally walk over each other to move around. The space is so limited that you can’t swing the bathroom door without hitting (and therefore moving) the bedframe.
- The mattress was quite uncomfortable and the pillows too high, I woke up with a sprained neck.
- I stayed there in a rather warm night: the aircon is unusable as the fan hits you straight in the face, which makes it impossible to keep it on while trying to sleep. There was only a very heavy duvet with the foot cover on the bed. I found myself waking up in the middle of the night having to remove the duvet from the cover to use the latter on its own.
- The only suitable place for breakfast is a tiny folding table in the room: not ideal if you also have a laptop with you and you need some desk space to work.
- The TV set is quite dated and one of those that you can watch properly only from the front, i.e. it can be seen only while lying in the bed and not while sitting at the table.
- There is no TV guide option on the set and it takes ages to change from one channel to the next; which means that browsing channels takes forever.
- The shared breakfast area looks sleek but that’s pretty much all that there is good about it. You have to prepare breakfast for yourself and eat it in your room. You are left with croissants from the day before, so cold and stale, cold milk with no option for warming it up as no microwave is provided, and some teas and coffees (soluble or filter, if you can be bothered preparing the cafetiere for yourself). The fruit and yogurts in the fridge don’t make up for the lack of what I’d consider essential for a proper continental breakfast. There was no biscuit in sight or bread to toast.

I would have not complained if I had paid £49 or even £59 for the room, but I’ve stayed in much better accommodations for £89.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dingle, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

My experience at the Sands was 50/50.

The accommodation it's self was modern and clean.
The shower temperature and pressure fantastic and the customer service was outstanding.

But I had one of the worse nights sleep ever, the double glazing does not stop the road noise, I could feel the springs in the mattress, the pillows are too tall (they strain your neck), the room was cold, at 6am I could hear another resident making a coffee in the communal breakfast area, I could hear them so clearly it was as if they were lying in bed next to me. And at 7.05am someone in the room above began to vacuum...banging into every piece of skirting board possible.

The communal breakfast area was already left dirty by other residents (before 10pm the night before breakfast)...dirty mugs left on the side, plates left in the sink. The pastries were already there when I arrived and not provided fresh in the morning, there was no microwave, so they were hard and stale. The light does not stay on long enough to make a cup of tea, so you end up walking back down a pitch black corridor to turn it back on again.

The TV in the room was tiny and I could not find a menu option on the remote to view what was on each channel.

My work will reimburse the cost of this nights accommodation, so I don't feel as disappointed as I probably should. But if it was my own hard earned cash, I'd feel very upset and disappointed.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
london
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013 via mobile

I have enjoyed a number of meals here & always delighted by the regularly changing menu. This visit we treated ourselves to a stay in the family suite & I'd definately recommend it. Really spacious room that happily accomodated the 4 of us. So close that we could regularly check on children during the evening. No need to get up early for breakfast as its ready in your room, so yummy pastries & coffee in bed, followed by bracing walk on Horsell common to build up an appitite for a delicious Sunday lunch.

Brilliant value as I would have spent a similar amount on a babysitter & taxis.

• Stayed November 2012
Carlisle, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

We frequent Sands as often as we are able because the management and staff are so attentive and can't do enough for you. We have been coming to Sands for many years and have always been treated with the utmost of respect at all times. Carla and staff are always there for us and the food is always excellent.

We have a hotel in the West Lakes and know the business, so well done Sands, you deserve it!!!!!!

Room Tip: Room 8 is a good choice if available but all rooms fit the bill.