“Don't take with a pinch of salt!!!!!” 1 of 5 stars

King's Arms Hotel
3.0 of 5 Inn   |   Market Square, Westerham TN16 1AN , England   |
Ranked #6 of 9 Westerham B&B and Inns
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Don't take with a pinch of salt!!!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

Stayed at this hotel with my partner a week or so ago. He was attending a dinner and we thought it would be nice for me to come along and stay in a lovely hotel.........Firstly noticed how cold our room was - when I enquired at reception if the heating could be turned on the young lady said it could but would take about an hour... an hour later radiators still freezing cold - enquired again and was told a heater had been left outside the room!!! - the rest of the hotel was warm and snug - not sure why this room (the Jane Seymour) was not included. I then ordered room service- just a tuna jacket potato - ordered it at 7.00 pm - still hadn't arrived by 7.50 pm so phoned reception - finally got it just after 8.00 pm. Went to put salt on my jacket potato but salt would not come out - unscrewed lid and ...what can I say - OH MY GOODNESS...... the pictures hopefully say it all - but if this is the state of a simple salt cellar what on earth is the remainder of the kitchen equipment like????? Needless to say I didn't finish my potato nor did I go down to breakfast the next morning - my partner did and luckily survived to tell the tale but I dread to think of the standards of hygeine that must exist. Also attach photos of the bathroom - just a small point, but as can be seen the shower curtain was hanging off the rail and wouldn't have fitted around properly anyway. The side of the bath was grubby and looked like it had never been cleaned - all in all a totally disappointing stay and I wish I had stayed at home................ hopefully environmental health will at some point inspect their kitchens and maybe cleanliness etc will improve.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Somerset, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

We stayed here as we're attending a family party nearby.
Receptionist and front of house lovely but we booked a superior room that was far from superior. Yes it was a big room but very shabby the bathroom was freezing the decor a bit like a hospital bathroom with its grey link and all white tiles, thin towels and no dressing gowns as would be expected in a `superior` room.
I complained that the room was cold and the radiators not working and we were given fan heaters which did heat the main room but caused a lot of condensation!!!
I think that the cold room was not helped by the single pane metal windows but as it could be a listed building and not upgraded due to planning issue's??
We had a meal in the restaurant and being cold asked for macaroni cheese and chips this was stodgy and the chips cold, the manager did offer a free dessert but did not want one...I did say I hoped breakfast would be better.... Sadly no..... We sat down with my sister and family two of us got breakfast first but the other some 15-20 mins later, my poached eggs were cold and hard my husband's mushroom was dry, the he did say the sausages were nice and my sister's eggs when they turned up were perfect (must be me!!!!)
I did challenge our bill as at £155 was expensive for what we had, they knocked £30 off which was something but really I wanted to just go!!!
I shall also add the hotel was full but they only had a few staff on duty...this could be part of the problem!!!!

3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

Wanted to stay in a hotel away from the usual chains and had a bad experience the night before in anther hotel elsewhere. Initial first impressions good but the room was freezing cold, bathroom in need of some serious investment and the communal areas in need of some serious vacuuming. Staff friendly but the morning spoiled with cold toast, terrible coffee and a chef who boils eggs rather than poaching. Left with no goodbye was seriously disappointed. The bed in the Anne Boleyn however very comfortable!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
OEIGK, Guest Relations Manager at King's Arms Hotel, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay here at the King’s Arms Hotel. I have discussed the issues you have raised with our team members to ensure this doesn’t happen again.
Make I take this opportunity to further apologise for the other issues you have raised and let me assure you we have taken this information on board and fully intend to improve our standards throughout each area of the hotel.
Once again our sincere apologies, and may we thank you for taking the time and trouble to inform us of your experience, as it is only by receipt of such constructive comments that we are able to improve our standards and quality of customer service.

Yours Sincerely

Kimberley Kelly
Assistant Manager
The King’s Arms Hotel
01959 562 990
West Byfleet, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

Great location in a beautiful village. Lovely pub downstairs but the accommodation was very disappointing.
I had a superior room at a cost of £195 for 2 nights.
The room it's self was clean and of traditional decor. The bathroom resembled a public toilet and the suit needs replacing.
The room faced the road and all night on the first night all we could hear was the noise of loud music from the nearby other pubs and then the traffic early in the morning.
Breakfast was good but not enough staff on to tend to a fully booked hotel.
Juices weren't regularly topped up, nor were the pastries
I would not stay hear again. Over priced for what it was.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Sittingbourne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

We stayed at the King's arms for our 10 year wedding anniversary and decided to stay in the Henry Viii (honeymoon suite). The price was £105 for the 2 of us, bed and breakfast, and all in all this was a good price. The staff were very friendly and polite and cared about our stay.

First impressions of the room, wow, what a bed, it's a Tudor style canopy bed, very romantic. The room was proudly announced as their best room but there were a few niggles that let it down, and if rectified could make this a fab stay, BUT you have to remember it's only £105 B&B and only 3 stars not 5, remember that and it's a great hotel.

Niggles were, the honeymoon suite overlooked the main road, the pub over the road had live music until late and while not a huge problem it spoilt the ambiance a little.

The light switch by the door fell apart when pressed and we were unable to use the centre switch. Also, my bedside light didn't work.

The walls could do with a decorating refresh (remember this is supposed to be the best room in the hotel) with some paint pealing off the walls buy the door.

The shower cubicle door needs a bit of attention and the light is hanging down from the ceiling above the shower.

As I said, niggles, and acceptable given the price.

Breakfast was lovely. My wife has coeliac disease, they had gluten free bread that was toasted in a separate grill and the food was lovely.

All in all, a nice stay and I would return, but I would like to see the the best room in the hotel being kept in the best of condition.

PS, considering the room was the honeymoon suite, the bed was a little noisy, but that might be TMI! LOL ;-)

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Leicester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

This hotel is one off the Old English Inn booked at last minute. We have stayed at other hotels in this group, so cost & food menus are reliable and reasonable price.
We were welcome by a very nice young man who was welcoming & polite. Other staff seem ok, our room was on the second jo some very elevated stairs no lift .
Our room was ok clean but small not a a lot of room to move around the bed! Also the electrics were rather odd as the light for the bathroom was on the panel as you entered the room could be confusing.
The bar area was rather tired and had a musty smell about it.
We ate in the restaurant that night and the food was good, but most alarming was seeing then bar tender from the bar sitting on the work surfaces of the kitchen every time someone went through the door who ever was cooking didn't seem to address this individuals behaviour.
The place seem to have huge potential but currently just plodding along!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
OEIGK, Guest Relations Manager at King's Arms Hotel, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at The Kings Arms Hotel. We are looking into the maintenance issues that you addressed in your post, as well as investigating the bar staff member who was sitting on the work surface. Please be assured that this will all be resolved. We are glad that you found the staff pleasant, we aim to deliver consistent excellent customer service.
East Grinstead, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

I stayed at the hotel for 7 weeks due to my home being burnt out by fire!!!! The Kings Arms was amazing, we were given a beautiful room and my dog was made a fuss of and treated like royalty, it was soo lovely and it made such a difference to how we felt at such a terrible time, I could not recommend the Hotel enough, the rooms were beautiful, the food excellent, the staff wonderful and could not do enough for us as well as being warm welcoming and friendly, I cannot recommend this Hotel highly enough and I have stayed in 5 star hotels all over the world!!

Room Tip: All the rooms are homely and a joy to return to